SkyTrak - which tablet or computer to go with it?

luckypolk

I'm about to purchase the SkyTrak and setup a complete simulator bay in my garage. I currently don't have an iPad, Android, or PC that will support it so I'm starting with a clean slate. I've been on SkyTrak's website to try to figure out which way to go, but I can't really find any reason to choose one way or another. Any recommendations? It looks like WGT is exclusive for the iPad and TGC19 is exclusive for the PC. Besides that, I don't really see anything. Anybody played these and have any pros and/or cons for either one? Is there anything else I'm missing?

Side question: I do have a brand new MacBook Pro. SkyTrak's website only lists iPads as being compatible. Anyone know if the MacBook Pro would work?

Titleist TSR3 - D

Titleist TSR3 - 4W

Titleist T200 - 4i

Titleist T150 - 5-GW

Vokey SM9 - 52º - 56º - 60º

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport

Titleist Pro V1

TGC2019 needs a legitimate gaming PC in order to run. As far as SkyTrak goes, nothing else available compares for simulation. E6 connect is alright too but triple the price for way less courses, and no course creator. Gameplay with both is great and they each have their own quirks (and bugs). WGT/etc are not in the same league, try the demos and you'll see why.

As for your MacBook Pro, it can run the SkyTrak app in bootcamp.

Titleist TSR2 9* Ventus Blue 6X

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

Mizuno T22 54S/58C Blue Ion LE

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7

I'm not smart when it comes to computers to be honest. I've never been a PC gamer either. Like anything nowadays, there are zillions of options. Any idea on what are "must haves" and what are "don't needs" when it comes to a gaming PC? I'll only use it for the simulator if that helps. I want to have a quality setup, but also don't want to burn a bunch of money on stuff I don't need.

Titleist TSR3 - D

Titleist TSR3 - 4W

Titleist T200 - 4i

Titleist T150 - 5-GW

Titleist Pro V1

If you don't know computers you're probably just trying to find something pre-built, in which case here are the requirements. Just try to tick all the boxes in the recommended column. Feel free to PM if you want me to review something specific you are looking at.https://csc.protee-united.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019033493-The-Golf-Club-2019-Computer-Requirements

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

That is referring to the SkyTrak app and the graphics in the built in range. Shouldn't impact OP, TGC would still be a much larger draw.

The SkyTrak app runs on the lowest of tablets/phones, with the only impact being the shot delay when you get really, really old.

Ping G410 2H

Ping G400 3H

Mizuno Pro 225 4i-GW

I'm sure you could boot camp the macbook and use Windows. Not sure how well the sims would run on it though, depends on the specs.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468

Srixon Z 785 9.5 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z F85 15 Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X
Srixon Z U85 18 Steelfiber i110 S
Srixon Z FORGED 3-9 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 46 Steelfiber i110 S
Cleveland RTX4 Forged 50 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland RTX4 58 Steelfiber i125 S
Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11S

Bettinardi QB6 DASS High Polish
Srixon ZStar XV Yellow

Yep, this is the key comment. Gaming computers are very dependent on the graphics card, not the processor. It's a choice you have to make carefully and one that depends entirely on the simulation software you're going to run. The SkyTrak itself doesn't take much and can be run on an iPad. It's the simulator software that drives the computer choice...and all the video display choices after that.

Thanks for the input from everyone. My SkyTrak showed up today along with my projector, net and screen. I'll spend the next couple evenings putting everything together. I'm definitely sold on TGC. I'm thinking I'll go with a basic gaming computer that meets the minimum requirements, but with a quality graphics card. I have some time since I'll have to figure out how I'm gonna wire everything and where I'll end up putting the PC, so I'll use whatever is left of my free time to do some research. I'll definitely run any ideas by you all. Appreciate the smart guys chiming in and helping me out!

Titleist TSR3 - D

Titleist TSR3 - 4W

Titleist T200 - 4i

Titleist T150 - 5-GW

Titleist Pro V1

Late to the game, but I thought I would drop by two pennies.

While the iPad Skytrak pair is VERY limited in terms of play (skytrak app and WGT only), the VERY convenient thing about the iPad is that the battery lasts FOREVER and is super portable. It's a nice setup for taking to a range or to another indoor hitting area.

That being said, if you want a "really nice sim setup" and can have everything pre-wired for power/usb/etc, then stick with the PC. It's also more of a pain to manage compared to the iPad...trust me, I'm a windows user, and I work in IT. The iPad is way easier to manage in this situation.

I am also about to buy a skytrak. Is there a whole lot of difference just in running the basic range between ipad air and ipad pro, time wish to display the shot, numbers, etc? Thx

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Since I haven't settled on a computer yet, I'm running the range off my iPhone XS Max. I have very little delay from shot to read, maybe a second. The size isn't exactly ideal since the font is pretty small in some parts of the app while on the phone, so it's definitely not a feasible long term solution, but it works for now. That said, I don't think you'd have much of a problem at all with your iPad.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 - D

Titleist TSR3 - 4W

Titleist T200 - 4i

Titleist T150 - 5-GW

Titleist Pro V1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking about getting one because all the golf courses and practice areas are closed, in my area.

Question One, Will it work on a MacBook Pro and mirror it to a tv? I do have a IphoneX.

Question Two, Is about the basic set-up. Will it show at least the distance and line of flight (Left/ right).

I already have a SC200 that I use for distance charting but I would like to see if I'm drawing or cutting the ball.

Spoiler

Stay the Course; and my the Course be with you!

You can run everything that is exclusive to the SkyTrak off your iPhone. That's what I'm currently doing. It has a range where you can set greens at various distances and sizes and you can set fairways (straight and dog legs) at various widths. It also has target practice which is kinda like darts with a golf ball. You get more points for being more center. It has closest to the pin on long drive competitions. One of the things I like best is the wedge matrix. It has you hit all your wedges at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full to give you your distances at each. I've actually started using this on the course to make those in between distances easier to hit.

If you want to play actual courses, that's where it gets tricky for us Apple guys. You're limited to other offerings besides TGC19, which is by far the best package. TGC19 has the most courses and probably some of the better gameplay from everything I've researched. I'm still deciding whether to get a gaming PC so I can run it. I get plenty of good practice using the range to get dialed in. I'm honestly not sure how often I'd actually play a full course in my garage, but that's just me. TGC19 is not compatible with Apple products.

Titleist TSR3 - D

Titleist TSR3 - 4W

Titleist T200 - 4i

Titleist T150 - 5-GW

Titleist Pro V1

• 3 months later...

I figured I'd ask on this thread since it's somewhat related before I start a new thread. Anyways, I just purchased a new Skytrak and looking at internet packages (just moved into new house). What internet package/MBPS should I get? I was looking at the comcast internet pro package (up to 200 mbps) but upgrading to a better router/modem then what comcast offers. I plan on getting TGC19 along with a gaming laptop as recommended here. Thanks

• 2 months later...

If you go the PC/laptop route for TGC, the biggest thing you need is an upgraded video card. A good processor and memory will help, but the biggest thing is a top-end video card. I run mine on an slightly older Intel processor with only 8GB of RAM, but I've got a higher end Nvidia GeForce graphics card in it, and it runs flawlessly.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/2/2020 at 6:24 PM, mjforn said:

I'm sitting here trying to figure out if I should upgrade to TGC2019 one season or lifetime. I already have the game improvement which I like, cuase I'l just watch a game and hit 1-200 balls 2-3 times a week.

I went with TGC 2019 lifetime as I figured I'd have the Skytrak (or at least TGC 2019) for more than two years.   Did not do the TGC for an additional $100 either.

On 12/2/2020 at 4:24 PM, mjforn said:

I'm sitting here trying to figure out if I should upgrade to TGC2019 one season or lifetime. I already have the game improvement which I like, cuase I'l just watch a game and hit 1-200 balls 2-3 times a week.

I did the lifetime. I used to have the JNPG before they stopped support for it. In my opinion is I should’ve switched to TGC long ago. The only thing I can say I don’t like is the search function for courses. 

PXG Gen5 0311XF 9* Ventus Black Velocore 6X
Cobra F6 Baffler 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Yellow

Cobra F6 Baffler 5 Wood Aldila NV Green

Mizuno Pro 221 Blue ion Irons Dynamic Gold S200
Mizuno T22 Blue ion 52,54,58
PXG Black Jack