Paired Up With Slow Beginners

how do you handle this?
I often like to sneak out and play and just let them starter pair me up with some other golfers. With mine and my golfing buddies' busy schedules sometimes it is easier to just go to the course and play. That said, often times I find myself paired with people who, frankly, aren't that good. That I could live with, but I've found they tend to be pretty slow. It's tough to stand on the tee of a 530 yard par 5 and watch them hit their tee shot 40 yards.

This past week my wife and I played with a couple who were very, very slow. So of course we as a foursome start to fall behind and the marshall gets on us. That put her and I in an awkward situation as we had to speed up our game. For example, normally I'd wait for all golfers to get to the green and someone to pull the flag before putting, but given that it could take this other couple 3 chips to get on the green I just couldn't justify standing there and waiting.

This of course totally throws my game off because I'm constantly balancing going fast, focusing on my game, and making sure they don't launch a chip into my shins!

Any advice on how to handle this situation? It is tough since I don't want to be rude or blame them for my slow play. I considered just playing my normal game but then I have to worry that the marshall will be at us again. Any thoughts?! Thanks.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been in this situation, and unfortunately there isn't much you can do. There's no point trying to speed up your game since it's the other pair slowing you down. Even if you play faster, you'll still be waiting for them. And as far as worrying about the marshall, don't let them affect you. They huff and puff, but they never actually do anything. I've played with some slow people who refused my suggestion to let people play through, and no marshall has ever done anything.

On rare occasions, I've politely told the slow people that I need to be somewhere right after the round and then just gone on ahead alone. They're usually understanding.

Just tell the marshall what's up. If he knows what he's doing it will take him half a hole to see it. Personnaly when that happens, I try to work on my mental game. IE go into amateur tourney mode. Don't know how many of have played in those tournaments but a 5 hour round is a god send on some days! Stay cool, relax, it could be worse....

I've fortunately not been stuck in that situation in a while. A few weeks back I did play with 2 slower players and I didn't even ask them when a 2some came up behind. They were coming up to the green while we were getting ready to play a shorter par 4 and I just said "You guys wanna come through?" and they did.

To tell you the truth I think that playing tougher, longer, more expensive courses has sort of "fixed" the problem for me. Most of the guys I've gotten paired with this year have been in the 5-15 cap range.

It's a tough situation when the course is busy. I suppose if the Marshall came and said something, the other 2 players should have realized it was them. The guy I started playing with a lot this year is actually a little better than me. He can get slow though and I've had no problem coming right and telling him. Not a big deal, I'm not a jerk about it, just mention it to him. He also had a bad habit of leaving his bag in a spot he'd have to walk back to get it after putting. I got him to fix that as well, leaving it in a spot he can grab it and head right off in the correct direction of the next hole. Little things like that add up to 10+ minutes over the course of a round.

the only solution i have for you is to make up an excuse and politely ask if you could play ahead. make sure the back up is more than 1 hole or else it may look awkward if they just catch up to you again.

other than that, not much that can be done...we were all beginners once too. i'm sure that they all wish they were better players, but they're not going to play any better by rushing themselves either.

As someone who could recently be included in the "slow beginners" group maybe I can help from the other prospective.

When I was paired up with someone(s) who could obviously play, it put a lot of pressure on me especially on the tee. This seems to be the case for a lot of people. NOBODY wants to be "that guy" who hit's 100+ shots a round or who can't get off the tee. Paired with a good player gave me all kinds of extra brain thoughts that made it almost impossible to mentally hit a good shot.

A couple of things I remember from those days. If we were slowing down the course play and we were paired with some better walk-ons I would tell them it's okay to go ahead. Don't be afraid to politely ask if you can go on ahead. If we're stinking up the course and slowing it down, we know it. If the better players go on, it would take a lot of pressure and "hurry up" off of the slower players.

Today I can play a round in under two and a half hours if the course is clear and I'm playing alone. It is now my playing partners and those in front of us who slow me down. :drinks: Some of my buddies play slow, though most of them just started playing the game. For them, I always just try to make them comfortable. Talk about things other than golf. If they hit a really bad shot into the woods or something off the tee I'll tell them to just drop a ball by mine. Sometimes we say "the greens are really crappy today, let's agree that all holes are 2putts max" or "inside the leather is good." We also play the maxed hole game, if you max (double par) pick up your ball and take it to the green or wait till the next hole. If someone (my friends not strangers) is really struggling I'll kick their ball into the fairway and tell them to hit from there or fluff it up in the grass. If they get mad I just tell them "hey lets have some fun, you're trying to hit shots from horrible lies that even the pros struggle with, give yourself a chance to hit a good shot play it from a decent lie." Perhaps some people would not agree with doing these things but by lower the pressure and frustration level, newer players will usually play faster and have a better time playing.

[quote name='d0n' post='809802' date='Dec 2 2007, 11:30 AM']If someone (my friends not strangers) is really struggling I'll kick their ball into the fairway and tell them to hit from there or fluff it up in the grass. If they get mad I just tell them "hey lets have some fun, you're trying to hit shots from horrible lies that even the pros struggle with, give yourself a chance to hit a good shot play it from a decent lie." Perhaps some people would not agree with doing these things but by lower the pressure and frustration level, newer players will usually play faster and have a better time playing.[/quote]
Those are some good ideas. When I was shooting 120+ as a beginner, I finally realized that I needed to adjust my lie, just to stand any chance of hitting that shot, and learning how to play golf. Once I started breaking 100, I played the ball down.

Taking a drop near another players ball is something we do too to speed up play.

If you're pressed for time, like so many had suggested, politely asking to play ahead. This is of no offense to the slower players and probably worked out better for everyone.

If you're not in a hurry to get to somewhere else after the game, take your time and help out the beginners, especially after the Marshalls visit, reminding them that it's important to try to keep up with the group ahead. Remember that you were in their shoes at one time.
Golf is not a game to be rushed, as much as I enjoy the 3 1/2 hour round, I still enjoy a 4 1/2 hours round as much.

For those that just started playing, if you could not even advance the golf ball 100 yards off the tee or in the fairway, stick to the executive par-3 or a shorter more friendly course. If you insist on playing a regulation length course, do one thing, keep up. It'll be for the best of everyone playing with you including yourself. Even if this means to p/u the golf ball after a few duffing, just go to the next position with the group and drop the ball and continue playing.

[quote name='d0n' post='809802' date='Dec 2 2007, 07:30 AM']"hey lets have some fun, you're trying to hit shots from horrible lies that even the pros struggle with, give yourself a chance to hit a good shot play it from a decent lie."[/quote]

That for me is the key, have fun! I have never been good at any sport that didn't involve either gasoline or gunpowder, I've raced bikes and shot for my county and battalion. I don't ever expect to excel at golf, but I do expect to enjoy myself and have fun with the guys I am playing with.

I think the best thing you can do is to either politely ask to go ahead or suck it up and relax and enjoy the time on the course. Getting your partners to speed up without offending someone is an art form I believe. Most of my attempts have been met with pretty gracious attitudes but every once in awhile someone gets offended. So I try to do things as gently as possible. Now this is coming from a 90s shooter but I play with a lot of people shooting way above 100. I find what works best is to mention playing quickly before the round starts. This puts it in their mind to play fast and the idea to play fast then doesn't seem like a direct insult to how they are playing on the course.

Sometimes, it has nothing to do if a golfer scores in the 90's or in the 80's, or triple digits.
It has to do with the golfer's on course demeanor, and I truely believe the golf on TV has a lot to do with how new golfers play the game.
Only they had forgotten the Pros could drive close to 300 yards and hit the green 200+ yards away with a 5 or 4 iron. Certainly they don't take 7 or 8 practice swings before they take the swing.

Yeah, those are all good ideas, thanks. Moving on ahead is always an option, but I'm not sure how well it would have worked with these particular people (I don't think they particularlly saw themselves as slow, despite that fact that they insisted on putting everything out, even while shooting 110+ and me saying "That's good").

I would have thought that playing nicer courses would sort of price the beginners out, but I've found that not to be so, at least out here in the Bay Area.

A good friend of mine is from Norway and he tells me back there you need to take a playing test to get a card which allows you to play on the course. I believe it tests basic playing skills, etiquete, etc. When you go to the course you have to show the card to show that you are certificed to play on a course!

david

[quote name='soupandtea' post='809428' date='Dec 1 2007, 06:48 PM']I often like to sneak out and play and just let them starter pair me up with some other golfers. With mine and my golfing buddies' busy schedules sometimes it is easier to just go to the course and play. That said, often times I find myself paired with people who, frankly, aren't that good. That I could live with, but I've found they tend to be pretty slow. It's tough to stand on the tee of a 530 yard par 5 and watch them hit their tee shot 40 yards.

This past week my wife and I played with a couple who were very, very slow. So of course we as a foursome start to fall behind and the marshall gets on us. That put her and I in an awkward situation as we had to speed up our game. For example, normally I'd wait for all golfers to get to the green and someone to pull the flag before putting, but given that it could take this other couple 3 chips to get on the green I just couldn't justify standing there and waiting.

This of course totally throws my game off because I'm constantly balancing going fast, focusing on my game, and making sure they don't launch a chip into my shins!

Any advice on how to handle this situation? It is tough since I don't want to be rude or blame them for my slow play. I considered just playing my normal game but then I have to worry that the marshall will be at us again. Any thoughts?! Thanks.[/quote]

Don't have an answer; except for sucking it up :drinks: with a smile ... last week wife and I were playing resort tracks on vacation. The first day we got tee'd up with another couple who abruptly told us they were very good beginners; but knew the game. We said, we don't have a problem with beginners and wanted them to feel at ease. I when to the black tee's - my wife when to the white tee's and both of them followed her to the white tee's. I tee'd off with a 2i - 230yds down the middle of a somewhat narrow fairway - wifey hit hers down the middle past mine. They proceeded to commonly hit theirs 70yds and in some cases much less; with their drivers going hard left and right in the 150-200yd range; seldom reaching my tee shot; making both my wife and I wait for what felt like forever. ;)

Anyways it was a frustrating day for both my wife and I since neither had lessons and shouldn't have been on such difficult tracks = 6hr rds. :beach:

Later on last wk we visited another resort - fairly difficult desert track. I played from the Blue tee's and my wife choose the Red tee's. We were playing with another couple that really struggled with all the carry's from the tee's; he finally when to the sr tee's and still struggled. What made it difficult for all of us was they put out 2 somes and immediately infront of us a 3 some of decent players. They put a 2 some of really good sticks right behind us... so, even though we felt like we were maintaining decent pace, it felt like we were not playing fast enough to keep up with those infront and felt pushed by those behind us... needless to say, it was very uncomfortable day for all of us.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='soupandtea' post='811247' date='Dec 3 2007, 05:56 PM']A good friend of mine is from Norway and he tells me back there you need to take a playing test to get a card which allows you to play on the course. I believe it tests basic playing skills, etiquete, etc. When you go to the course you have to show the card to show that you are certificed to play on a course!

david[/quote]

Yes, many other parts of the world do have less golf course per golfer, so natually they's want to know if you're a "golfer" before they'll let you get on the course.
I was asked to show my GHIN card at many overseas golf courses before my memeber friends could sign me up as a guest player. A few location even stated all playing guest must be a 16 or better.

Depends on the people, but you can try and explain to them about playing "ready golf". moving to your own ball smartly even if its in front of other people as long as your out of the way, select your club, practice swing whilst waiting for others to hit, etc. In many cases its not the number of shots itself that makes for slow play, its more like a total lack of situational awareness of others around them (the dont notice the group in front disappearing over the horizon) or the fourballs backed up behind them.

Many have been taught course etiquette but take it to the letter of the law, standing behind/ beside someone playing their shot doing nothing, then walking to their own ball (often on the other side of the fairway), selecting a club and practice swinging (many times). Or three waiting on the green whilst one player plays ping pong back and forth across the green - why not make a few putts between shots etc. Leave their bag or cart on one side of the green, take a wedge and wander off to chip without taking their putter etc etc

If you explain it logically most beginners get the idea pretty quickly, you can make it a bit of a game to see if you can keep up with the fourball in front

I’m a new golfer and as such I am very aware (to the point of being paranoid!) of slow play and I try to make sure my game flows well.

I may have to take two shots over par on each hole, but if I am ready to shoot as soon as my turn arrives and don’t take forever practise swinging and don’t take 3 trips to the bag as I can’t make up my mind –I don’t see how it is much of an issue.

Some people new and old like to milk a round of golf (esp. if this is there only chnace to get away from wife, kids, work etc.) – and to be honest I can see where they are coming from. However most beginners are just nervous and want to do well, so tutting and moaning will only make them worse.

I certainly wouldn’t mind if you asked to go on ahead, and if you spent forever waiting for me to get on the green and there was space in front, I’d be the first person to suggest it.

Agree with above posts, if play is that slow then holes ahead of you should be open and just ask to play ahead. Almost always this is no problem and works out best for everybody. btw I don't believe beginner golfers need to be any slower than anybody else. Speed of play doesn't have to be related to score.

• 3 weeks later...

I think if golf courses worked harder at pushing the front tees, more people would respond. Right now they don't, and they should.

Ten Reasons For a Beginner and High Handicap to Play the forward Tees

1. Playing from the forward tees makes the game more fun, because you will finish in fewer strokes. It still the same game, just a different set of tees.

2. It will cost you less, because you will lose fewer balls.

3. The course will be more fun, because the designer has designed it to play a certain way for YOU. If you play from tees that are too much of a challenge, you are not playing the course the way it was supposed to be played by YOU.

4. If you are playing with someone of greater skill, the forward tees were designed for you to even the game out. Playing from forward tees is the same as receiving strokes to make the game more competitive.

5. You will learn more because you will be challenged to play shots you are capable of playing, not challenged to make shots you are unlikely to be able to make.

6. Golf is supposed to be 50 percent putting. When you play tees that are too far back, too much of the game is just getting to the putting.

7. Playing from the forward tees may enable you to walk all 18.

8. You will feel less pressure to play fast, either to keep up, stay ahead, or keep up with your playing partners.

9. Learning to manage the course from the front tees will improve your overall golf skill. This is likely to allow you to move to more challenging tees as your game improves.

10. You will shorten the time it takes to play 18 holes, and give you more time to enjoy a cold drink afterwards.

Just a thought.

All valid points. The question is if the front tees really are appropriate for beginners in terms of playability. If a 5 handicap plays a par 4 at 430 yards and a 10 plays it at 400, then a beginner needs to play it at, what?, 300 yards? Usually that isn't the case and they play from 380 or so. Even that seems way too long and hard.

Seems that what we need is a course that falls between a par-3 "executive" course and a real course. Maybe 9 holes, 5 par-3s and 4 par 4s, none over 350. This would give the beginner a fun, reasonable course to learn on while still providing the experienced a golfer a cheap, fast way to get their golf fix.

[quote name='wkuo3' post='809840' date='Dec 2 2007, 11:11 AM']If you're pressed for time, like so many had suggested, politely asking to play ahead. This is of no offense to the slower players and probably worked out better for everyone.

If you're not in a hurry to get to somewhere else after the game, take your time and help out the beginners, especially after the Marshalls visit, reminding them that it's important to try to keep up with the group ahead. Remember that you were in their shoes at one time.
Golf is not a game to be rushed, as much as I enjoy the 3 1/2 hour round, I still enjoy a 4 1/2 hours round as much.

For those that just started playing, if you could not even advance the golf ball 100 yards off the tee or in the fairway, stick to the executive par-3 or a shorter more friendly course. If you insist on playing a regulation length course, do one thing, keep up. It'll be for the best of everyone playing with you including yourself. Even if this means to p/u the golf ball after a few duffing, just go to the next position with the group and drop the ball and continue playing.[/quote]

I agree, Beginners should go and play an executive course and stick to the range so that you can at least hit the ball alright. I have a friend of a friend who really stinks and we always play all the way back, He can't even clear some of the hazards at some of these courses off the tee. Really makes it tough for him to play.

[quote name='soupandtea' post='836497' date='Dec 25 2007, 11:39 AM']All valid points. The question is if the front tees really are appropriate for beginners in terms of playability. If a 5 handicap plays a par 4 at 430 yards and a 10 plays it at 400, then a beginner needs to play it at, what?, 300 yards? Usually that isn't the case and they play from 380 or so. Even that seems way too long and hard.

Seems that what we need is a course that falls between a par-3 "executive" course and a real course. Maybe 9 holes, 5 par-3s and 4 par 4s, none over 350. This would give the beginner a fun, reasonable course to learn on while still providing the experienced a golfer a cheap, fast way to get their golf fix.[/quote]

There's a course near me that is "Executive" something like a par 61 more or less, around 11 par 3's and 7 par 4's. You can hit driver off maybe 4-5 of the holes total. Really good for the short game plus, as you say, beginners. Easy to walk if you want the exercise. They also have a great range and short game area as well as a couple of teaching professionals. This is the type of facility that beginners should be at, before venturing out to the full size courses.

• 7 months later...

Great posts by everyone on this thread.

I never thought I'd post this, as I'm normally VERY tolerant of any level golfer I’m paired with, beginner or expert, low index or high index. Normally it never mattered to me. Until this weekend…………..

A co-worker of mine is learning golf, and wanted to get on the course very, very badly. I tried to encourage him to take group lessons, but he's got financial issues, and is limited on $$$. So he got instruction by watching/listening others on the driving range/instructional area.

The other problem is his time schedule, family commitments, and other discombobulation inhibits him from practicing. Irregardless, he was pressuring me to get on the course and play. This was a fiasco for many, many reasons:

* Family/Wife pressure was too great to allow him to schedule time to play & practice. Finally, he wrangled a Saturday afternoon free.

* Financial pressures limited his expenditure, so I was able to find a "Cart-Fee only" deal for only $17 after 5pm, which was in his budget.

* Even though I emailed him directions, the course website, and phone number on Friday afternoon, he lost ALL of this information, and got lost on the way to the course.

* Rather than calling 411/Information (because he forgot the name of the course), he drove all the way back home! His internet connection was down, so he had to troubleshoot his web access, to finally get the course information.

* Finally gets to the course late. Explains he tried to call me, then I reply back: "Sorry, I don't carry my cell phone with me on the golf course!"

* The Proshop employee notices he has arrived in a white, generic "Hanes" T-shirt undershirt, shorts, and tennis shoes. Proshop guy asks him if he has a collared shirt, but after a little banter - finally agrees to let him pay in his Hanes t-shirt since it was very late in the day. :diablo:

* More discombobulation attempting to get water, use the restroom, and get organized.

* We finally arrive at 1st tee, thankfully there are sparse crowds and we can play alone.

* His cell phone rings. I tell him to please turn it off, or vibrate mode, as it can irritate other players, and is considered rude on the golf course. He says he'll get to it when we have a break. :beach:

* His swing is not ready for the course, but manages to advance the ball, and eventually gets it in the hole. He's trying hard, and seems to be having a good time.

* His cell phone rings AGAIN. I remind him to turn the thing off, while he's fumbling with it……..drops his phone into his golf bag/club dividers…………..all the way to the bottom of the bag.

:clapping:

<SCOWL>

* 3-4 groups play thru us, and are very accommodating. It's getting late in the day now.

* His cell phone rings AGAIN, but he can't answer it………….as he had dropped it all the way to the bottom of his golf bag.

* I'm starting to get ruffled, and toss a club at the ground in anger.

<SCOWL>

250px-Sam_Eagle.JPG

The day ends, and I drive home. He's a good friend, has a great attitude, and was very eager to get on the course, but it was NOT the most pleasant golf experience for me. My game was starting to really get loose, as I simply could not focus whatsoever.

I tell him to PLEASE TAKE LESSONS!!!, and encourage him to divert some $$$ into group lessons for 6 months or so, before we get onto the course again. Some of this should include basic golf etiquette, which I realize many instructors will teach beginners.

Sorry for the rant, but I was a very frustrated golfer, and this was the 1st time that playing with a beginner bothered me. Perhaps it was since he was MY friend, I felt somewhat embarrassed, and sorry for him at the same time. I wanted to more forceful to encourage good etiquette, dress code, etc. etc. - but on the other hand didn't want to pressure him too much.

What a fiasco. It's no wonder I play most of my rounds alone.