2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Sand Valley or Bandon

socal33

Guys - I am planning a short two man trip. I’ve been both places but this trip is for my good buddy. Just the two of us and his first golf trip. He is pressed for time and only 5 hour drive. Any thoughts on if you’d work hard to convince him to go to Bandon over Sand Valley? Max of 3 night trip and he will want to minimize all costs. Any insight in comparing the two will be helpful.

Nothing beats Bandon other than the Scotland. Only struggle is the logistics. No idea where you are, and the 5 hour drive stipulation is throwing me off because Sand Valley and Bandon are no where near each other, you can't be 5 hours from both ..

I love Sand Valley. Mammoth is one of my all time favorite courses. But you just can beat Bandon. Now with the Sheep Ranch too. The only downside is you may ruin golf trips for him since this is his first. You also may have more time at Sand Valley to golf than you would to Bandon after travel. If you are planning to drive to Sand Valley but have to fly to Bandon you'll get more out of SV obviously and a 5 hour road trip is usually cheaper than flying out west.

I love Sand Valley, but at the moment it does not compare to Bandon. Bandon is just so much bigger, so much more grand, not only in terms of courses, but lodging, merchandise, food availability and options, and surprisingly options off site as well, and that's before the ridiculous ocean setting and views. You could do a 3 night trip at Bandon and still feel like you didn't see it all (I did more nights there in November and felt like I wanted more), but that many at Sand Valley would be a bit much IMO. My first trip to Bandon was Thursday to Sunday (3 nights) and with weather and travel it went by in a blink, not enough IMO. Where on the other hand I did Sand Valley in 1 night, played everything and could have stayed for more but was satisfied leaving after just over 24 hours there. I was never at Bandon when it was just the original course, or just Bandon and Pacific, but I imagine that's what Sand Valley is like right now. Pretty much one restaurant and another option or two for food, simple but good, all about golf. I felt Sand Valley had a very similar feel and vibe though to Bandon, which makes sense considering the owner is the same, just on a smaller (perhaps younger) scale.

I don't know where you're located, but if you're within a 5 hour drive of Sand Valley I'd give that a shot. You can realistically do all of Sand Valley (36 holes, minus the Sandbox) in one day. It would be a very busy and full day, but if costs are as big of a concern as they sound, that's the best financial way to go. Otherwise you can find an inexpensive AirBNB nearby and make it a 1 or 2 night trip and get a thorough experience of the whole place, and perhaps make a day trip to other courses nearby like Erin Hills or Sentry World. Sand Valley does not discount rounds for on course stays like Bandon does, so you can get a cheap rental nearby and cut costs that way, at Bandon for 2 guys it's kind of a wash. And all the travel costs and time into and out of Bandon are not insignificant by any means either, so if you can control your own travel time and costs with Sand Valley all the better. And if you and your buddy like what you see out of Sand Valley, then Bandon might just be goal for next time.

Thanks for the input guys. For me either way I am flying to SV or BD. It’s good to hear different perspectives on here. Being his first and maybe only in next 5 or so years, I think time and budget is the biggest concern.

For clarity, Bandon is superior in my opinion. Nothing beats it. I was more curious on perspectives given the short time for a trip and given its this guys first trip. I don’t think SV will be a disappointment. I think he is leaning hard on that since it’s driveable for him. And if he hasn’t had any experience on a golf trip, it may hit the mark and be special without him realizing what he would be missing out on.

• 2 months later...
On 9/26/2020 at 6:00 AM, TerrapinGolfer said:

I think sand valley is better. The weather is too unpredictable at Bandon. Someone mentioned the only place that compares to Bandon is Scotland. It actually takes me the same time to get to both so I choose Scotland when possible. With the flight plus the drive Bandon is a pain 

I don't think SV is better, but I may think Mammoth is the most fun course at either location. I would play MD over any of the other courses, but Bandon has 5 top courses. 

Same owner.  Same architects.  Two totally different experiences.  The only way you could make SV remotely comparable to Bandon  would be to loop Whistling Straits, Erin Hills and a Lawsonia/University Ridge/Wild Rock into your travels.  Still, a lot of hustle and no Pacific Ocean.

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.