2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Hole-in-one in Chapman?

The only Ace I've ever had was on the shortest Par 3 on the course and I was playing the next-to-shortest of four tees. So it was only 107 yards. But I was playing the ball down, putting it out, playing in a threeball and keeping score and I teed off from the markers of the day. Even if it had been under 100 yards that's as official as a 220-yarder would be (although not nearly as impressive a shot, obviously!). 

1 hour ago, HatsForBats said:

OK, you are in the camp of it doesn't count but what are your reasons for why it shouldn't count? As far as scramble the below is from the National Hole In One Registry...

What constitutes a valid hole in one?

The Rules of Golf do not address the issue of the validity of a hole in one. The USGA recommends that a hole in one be considered valid:

• If made during a round of at least nine holes, except that a hole in one made during a match should be acceptable even if the match ends before the stipulated round is completed
  • If the player is playing one ball; a hole in one made in a practice round in which the player is playing two or more balls should not be acceptable
  • If attested by an acceptable witness
  • If made at a hole with a temporary tee and/or putting green in use, even if the Committee did not specifically define the teeing ground with tee-markers; the length of the hole at the time should be stated on any certificate
  • If made in a “scramble” competition, for example, a Captain’s Choice

My rational is it shouldn't count if there is a rule or precedent against counting HIO under these circumstances at this club. The opinions and facts here at GolfWRX don't matter at all in this particular matter as there is no universally correct answer. 

Hopefully the OP's club does have some clear policy for HOI. It pretty crazy not to as you have money involved.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 2bGood said:

My rational is it shouldn't count if there is a rule or precedent against counting HIO under these circumstances at this club. The opinions and facts here at GolfWRX don't matter at all in this particular matter as there is no universally correct answer. 

Hopefully the OP's club does have some clear policy for HOI. It pretty crazy not to as you have money involved.

Sure I agree it is up to the individual club and/or committee. My point to Mudguard was that according to the National Hole in one registry the USGA acknowledges a hole-in-one made in a scramble event as valid.

From another post it seems that Mudguard thinks they should only count in 18-hole full stroke play which I find a bit odd - Mudguard said: 'Seems pretty cut and dried, it wasn't an 18 hole stroke play round. Not eligible.' Would like to hear the rationale on that one. Going back to the National Hole in One Registry they indicate the USGA also considers a hole-in-one valid during a round of 9-holes and matches that end before the round is completed.

11 hours ago, ArtMBgolf said:

The tourney format should not matter, as long as maybe you aren't a blue tee player, playing the red tees, like in a red, white blue event, where 
you changes tees every hole and you aced it on the red tee as a 2 Hdc.    

If Chapman can't count, then what if you were rained out after it happened?  Sure the round is no good, but the Ace is a Ace.
Ask the members to vote, if it happened to you, would you expect it to count?     

This is one of the things that makes golf so interesting. A rain out. A "What if ?"

If I had a vote in the procedure, it would count provided every player in the field got to finish the hole where it happened.

Otherwise, sorry about that.

Edited by nsxguy

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

12 hours ago, HatsForBats said:

So we have 4 par 4's from the Red (forward tees) that are 220 to 250 yards long. Shouldn't a hole-in-one on those par 4's count as a hole in one for any player?

With the shortest holes on our forward tee's being around 90 yards I don't see any reason they wouldn't count for a hole in one. I think the issue with trying to exclude a hole-in-one for such an event is it is would be unfair to players that would/should normally be playing those tees. As far as a hole-in-one pool I could see it going either way but it should be specifically identified at signup and time of the competition.

That's a tougher proposition but I'd say the HIO would only count (on those par 4s) if a player is playing from his "normal" tees.

For players who normally play the red tees that 220-250 is probably unreachable or only reachable with their absolute best drive. For someone who plays the tips it may be a 4 iron,,,,,,, instead of the driver they'd have to hit from the tips. To me that's an unfair advantage for a HIO pool. And 4 times a round ? 8(?) chances for a HIO instead of everybody else's 4 ?

Exactly how one would word that though ?!?!?! ?

Edited by nsxguy

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

8 hours ago, HatsForBats said:

OK, you are in the camp of it doesn't count but what are your reasons for why it shouldn't count? As far as scramble the below is from the National Hole In One Registry...

The courses I've been a member of have always had the following requirements to have a hole in one recognised (IE, name on the board in the clubhouse and the little trophy)

Eighteen holes must be played

Must be witnessed and marked

Card submitted.

So I know of players who have scampered round back nines before dusk to get their eighteen in. I have no issue with clubs doing what they want, they set the rules, it's their honours board etc. I don't even have one, my biggest golf fear is having one whilst playing alone! But in a scramble/ambrose (most of the ones I've been involved with require a minimum number of tee shots) so once we get near the end players won't bother teeing off on some holes. Tees are often mixed up.

There are all kinds of unwritten rules in golf, a low round in a stroke-play event has more merit than a Wednesday hack. Clean and place gets an asterisk beside a low round (course records aren't possible where I play when it's clean and place).  

I'm sympathetic to the OP, how many of us go to a course and look up their hole in one policy? I mean it's probably buried in the fine print of your club's own membership info. 

On 8/24/2020 at 4:41 PM, Lenny Intensity said:

I was told I wouldn't be eligible for that since it wasn't in the course of a stroke play 18 hole round

6 hours ago, HatsForBats said:

From another post it seems that Mudguard thinks they should only count in 18-hole full stroke play which I find a bit odd - Mudguard said: 'Seems pretty cut and dried, it wasn't an 18 hole stroke play round. Not eligible.' 

Well the OP's club have that policy. Which happens to be the same at the places I've played at.