2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

X-Stiff Driver Shaft and Stiff Iron Shafts?

dingersandstingers

I've only been playing golf for a little under a year, but I'm a pretty athletic guy (just got done playing college sports). I've gotten the opportunity to start hitting off of GC Quad a lot since I've been working a summer job at a big box retailer, and in getting to try demo driver heads equipped w/ HMT dots (for clubhead measurements) I've found my numbers are usually around 117-120mph clubhead speed, so I've settled into X-Stiff shafts for my woods.

However, I'm currently looking to upgrade to a new set of irons (currently playing some Adams idea pro golds lol), but I'm only just starting to get accustomed to the stiff flex shafts i have in my current irons, and i think they might help my striking characteristics given that I tend to struggle with getting steep enough with irons. I'm going to be ordering the P770's and I've tried the DG 105VSS X100 and don't mind them at all, and I'm leaning towards choosing X-Stiff in my irons because I want my irons to remain suitable for me as my technique and ball striking improves, I'm just unsure if sticking with stiff shafts would be the best move for me instead to keep the feel consistent when transitioning sets. 

Currently, I can comfortably hit 7 iron 155-160, but I know that given my driver numbers I'm capable of tapping into a bit more distance once I improve my technique and ball striking. Will X-Stiff shafts enable me to continue to gain distance as I improve my swing, or will they be prohibitive and hurt my numbers until I am able to make a substantial leap in skill level?

4 hours ago, dingersandstingers said:

I've only been playing golf for a little under a year, but I'm a pretty athletic guy (just got done playing college sports). I've gotten the opportunity to start hitting off of GC Quad a lot since I've been working a summer job at a big box retailer, and in getting to try demo driver heads equipped w/ HMT dots (for clubhead measurements) I've found my numbers are usually around 117-120mph clubhead speed, so I've settled into X-Stiff shafts for my woods.

However, I'm currently looking to upgrade to a new set of irons (currently playing some Adams idea pro golds lol), but I'm only just starting to get accustomed to the stiff flex shafts i have in my current irons, and i think they might help my striking characteristics given that I tend to struggle with getting steep enough with irons. I'm going to be ordering the P770's and I've tried the DG 105VSS X100 and don't mind them at all, and I'm leaning towards choosing X-Stiff in my irons because I want my irons to remain suitable for me as my technique and ball striking improves, I'm just unsure if sticking with stiff shafts would be the best move for me instead to keep the feel consistent when transitioning sets. 

Currently, I can comfortably hit 7 iron 155-160, but I know that given my driver numbers I'm capable of tapping into a bit more distance once I improve my technique and ball striking. Will X-Stiff shafts enable me to continue to gain distance as I improve my swing, or will they be prohibitive and hurt my numbers until I am able to make a substantial leap in skill level?

Dont get caught up in stiffness or flex. One manufacturers “stiff” may be stiffer than a competitors “x-stiff”. Maybe more important is shaft weight. The lighter stuff will almost always be not as stiff even if designated as “x-stiff”. Its all relative to the shafts in that weight class. Another reason weight is so important is it can have a huge influence on striking. My advice is since you are just getting into the game, and based on your speed, go heavy. 125+ gram shafts. It should help you make better contact and be more consistent. 

• Like 1

I only swing driver just over 100 and I go X in driver, 3 wood and utility and S in my irons. I’d agree with the post above that weight and feel is more important. That said your 7 iron carry seems very low with that driver speed. Is your launch and spin super high or do you just prefer to swing easy with the irons.

• Like 2

Another vote for paying more attention to shaft weight and leaning towards heavier to start with, at your speed. Dialing that in should help you w/ consistent contact and if you ended up with something a little softer or stiffer than your stats call for, you shouldn't face drastic limitations in terms of distance/accuracy. Speaking from past experience having played with a hand-me-down, then pre-owned iron set while drastically improving my swing timing and ball-striking.

• Like 1

I’m around 112-113 ss with a driver and play TX or X-flex, but play S-Flex in my irons. I find I get a little lower spin numbers with a S rather than an X with my irons. The driver for me is the opposite. 

I have a slower tempo, and an easier transition. My release is not super late, but enough that the trajectory is affected by shaft profiles. My 7 iron SS is around 95mph 

There is more to picking a shaft than just swing speed. You will find (as mentioned already) shaft weight is probably most important , then from there start looking at bend profiles for trajectory and stiffness. Depending on a few factors, as well as feel. You may find yourself in a heavier shaft with a softer flex, or a lighter one, with a stiffer profile.  Personally I find I do best with the 115-125 range of weight. 

if your going to pony up the money for the new P770’s why not just get fit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

the more shafts you try, the more they can dial in your preferred weight and flex. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nfreda2211 said:

I only swing driver just over 100 and I go X in driver, 3 wood and utility and S in my irons. I’d agree with the post above that weight and feel is more important. That said your 7 iron carry seems very low with that driver speed. Is your launch and spin super high or do you just prefer to swing easy with the irons.

Yep, 7 iron launch is usually around 24-28 degrees. I definitely will default to swinging a bit easier w irons when I’m not hitting well though, I’m transitioning from a baseball swing so picking the ball off the ground with an iron is more or less black magic to me. 

2 hours ago, Drivingrangehero said:

I’m around 112-113 ss with a driver and play TX or X-flex, but play S-Flex in my irons. I find I get a little lower spin numbers with a S rather than an X with my irons. The driver for me is the opposite. 

I have a slower tempo, and an easier transition. My release is not super late, but enough that the trajectory is affected by shaft profiles. My 7 iron SS is around 95mph 

There is more to picking a shaft than just swing speed. You will find (as mentioned already) shaft weight is probably most important , then from there start looking at bend profiles for trajectory and stiffness. Depending on a few factors, as well as feel. You may find yourself in a heavier shaft with a softer flex, or a lighter one, with a stiffer profile.  Personally I find I do best with the 115-125 range of weight. 

if your going to pony up the money for the new P770’s why not just get fit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

the more shafts you try, the more they can dial in your preferred weight and flex. 

Thanks for the reply, seems like our swings are fairly similar. Definitely agree with your point regarding getting fit. Funnily enough, I work at a golf retailer (50% PUD is the only reason I’m going for the P770’s in the first place), and trying to get one of our fitters to really go in depth and fit me when they know I won’t be purchasing directly from them has been a tall task. Mostly I’ve just been on my own trying to test all the shafts TM is offering for the p series, and I just haven’t developed the feel quite yet to tell what’s best for me. I’m considering spending the money at GolfTec, but in all honesty I’d be quite embarrassed to walk in there and chunk half my shots.

Around 113-115 mph typical driver swing speed.   Have gotten it to just over 120 mph.  Play X or TX in driver, woods, and hybrid.  Play X or S in irons, though my favorite iron shaft is Project X 6.0 as-is.  Couldn’t load the 6.5 well enough and the Project X 6.0 still feels more stable than my irons with S400 or X100 (though I do like the X100 as well).  Modus 120 X I still can’t figure out.  Project X 6.0 LZ feels awful, like a wet noodle.  Play what works best for you.

Edited by johngalt312
  • Like 1

X woods, S irons

I will say, 117 driver, should mean 185 7 irons ... not being a nelly negative, just pointing out the upside

Cally AIS TD Max 10.5* Ventus Black 5x

Callaway AI Smoke TD 16* Ventus Red 6x

Callaway GBB Hvnwd 19* Ventus Blue 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Cally Apex 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x

Ping i210 6-7 & s55 8-PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59* SF 125s

LAB Mezz Max

I think it was Johnny who said it --- on driver the more stiff the straighter it goes.  

I am in same boat as you.  I use an XS diamana 60g shaft.  It has definitely helped with my straighten out the ball.  

However, on the shafts I was using Cobra Tec Black with AMT white s300 shafts.  I used the AMT because I was struggling to hit 5i with heavier shaft.  The AMT is "designed" to help hit longer clubs easier.  Over the past month I have been playing with some srixon z forged nippon 120S.  I find that heavier shaft in longer irons isn't hurting me as much as it used to.  

Could this be a product of improved ball striking?  Not exactly sure.  I do practice a lot with hitting back and foresight at local store.  I can tell you this.  I have been hitting the blade clubs with consistent 120G shafts better than my current gamers Cobra AMT shafts that differ in weight.  

Point being is I could clearly see you using XS Driver & using a S irons.  But as few guys said on here at you swing speed you might looking into a HEAVIER iron shaft than DG105XS.  I too tried out the DG105XS -- I didn't not like them.  

Hope this helps, just my two cents since I was going down the same path your doing now...

played against a 64 year old man in match play of the club championship last week that had X flex in his driver, and stiff all the way down...

he hit his driver MAX 240y and his irons were point/shoot. 

Taylormade Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 10*) / Denali Black 60TX

Taylormade Qi10 Tour / 3w (dialed 1 notch higher) / HZRDUS RDX Smoke Green 85 6.5

Taylormade P-DHY / 2i / Tensei Pro White 100TX
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW (3* weak) / KBS Tour X

Cleveland RTX6 / 54, 58 (full face2) / DG TI Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird AI Cruiser 40"