2020 Cambia Portland Classic

18majors

• Race to the CME Globe: 500 Points
  • Format: 72 holes
  • Purse: $1,750,000
  • Par: 72
  • History: This event began in 1972.
  • Yardage: 6,478

Australia's Hannah Green captured her second victory of the season with a closing round 67 to finish at 21-under-par and claimed a one-shot win over Yealimi Noh at the 2019 Cambia Portland Classic.

• Like 1

TV Schedule

September 17                                  Golf Channel (ET)                              2:00 - 5:00 p.m.

September 18                                  Golf Channel (Tape ET)                     9:00 - 11:00 p.m.

September 19                                  Golf Channel (Tape ET)                     9:30 - 11:30 p.m.

September 20                                  Golf Channel (Tape ET)                     8:00 - 10:00 p.m.

27 minutes ago, 18majors said:

That's a good point; but we don't want to disappoint @Newinup.

Actually I think the event will be fine it looks like Brooke might pull out cause of the air quality, after hearing her in an interview.  I'm not sure where the golf course is in relation to the city of Portland but the city itself is sorta a war zone (has calmed a little this week) so I'll be fine if my favorite pro pulls out.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stooch said:

Actually I think the event will be fine it looks like Brooke might pull out cause of the air quality, after hearing her in an interview.  I'm not sure where the golf course is in relation to the city of Portland but the city itself is sorta a war zone (has calmed a little this week) so I'll be fine if my favorite pro pulls out.

Was supposed to be there this week too -- to cover the event, but with the border closed for all non-essential travel, then it kind of became pointless.  Besides, who could have seen the civil unrest in Portland and then the fires and smoke and its air pollution.   Nonetheless, Portland is inland a way from the coast so it is not being helped much by the prevailing southwesterlys that would assist in clearing out their airshed.

It is very thick here in Vancouver and we are getting the smoke from Washington and Oregon.  

• Like 4

Did we change format again? For a while there I kept clicking "unread replies" and didn't get anything lol. Little did I know the "unread replies" are everything AFTER what I had written and just needed to scroll down lol. Of course they're also "unread" and "replies" too lol. Just a tad confusing lol... :

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Stooch said:

There's some that seemed to have pulled out just late last week it seems... Alison Lee and Dottie Ardina were reserves as of last week but they're now in the field...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Newinup said:

There's some that seemed to have pulled out just late last week it seems... Alison Lee and Dottie Ardina were reserves as of last week but they're now in the field...

If you're active on twitter probably like most LPGA you see how nuts Portland is right now.  I saw a vid last week of a guy who wrapped like blanket with batteries inside it, covered in an accelerant attached to the gas main and lit it on fire trying to blow up a hotel, not sure I'd wanna deal with that nonsense.  I'm sure the LPGA warned player not go outside Portland at night. 

• Sad 1

I should add Covid will most likely have a bigger impact than those other things. 2 of the biggest perks the ladies take advantage of are the Nike and Adidas employee stores and they are closed. I know a few drive out to the wine country (about 20-30 minutes from Portland) and many of those are closed as well. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mallrat said:

From a Portlander, there is no civil unrest, it’s all media driven. Yes we have protests but this is a very liberal city that averages 2-3 protests a week in the calmest of times (even under the Obama administration). The area the protests are in is downtown and not a residential area, it mostly consists of bars/restaurants and some retail. 

The closest fire is probably 18 miles as the crow flies. The course is in no jeopardy from the fires. The area surrounding the course is probably 15 miles from the area that is in a level 1 evacuation status. NOW, the air quality is horrible but getting better each day and we are forecasted to have rain Tues-Fri with Thurs & Fri being .25” both days. 

Hope this helps clear some misconceptions up. 

Well I can only go by what I see with my own eyes and what I see comes from independent journalists on the ground actually filming this stuff and it's been violence and burning buildings in Seattle and Portland for the last 3 months and it's been every day.  I guess it could be normal for a Portlander but I'm not sure it is for everyone else.  Like I said though things seem to have calmed down over the past week but as I've been kinda following this stuff it could be the professional anarchist are heading to Washington as there's suppose to be 40 days of protests leading up to the election.

Again, I don't know where the course is in relation to downtown proper, if it's outside the city than there should be no problems staying near the course.  If you're staying downtown you could have sleepless nights hearing flash bangs and fireworks till 3 AM every morning if things pop off again lol

• Like 1

The major hotels downtown are mostly about a 1/2 mile from the area the protests start. The protests are for the most part peaceful. Then the agitators break of from the protests and start their garbage. It normally is around 20-50 people who are the ones causing problems out of about 2000 at the protests. We do have a history of the agitators as we have a large homeless population of the younger generation who just want to start stuff. Our issue is we have a large population of both sides. There are a lot of white nationalists who also live in the area but they normally only go downtown to mix it up with the protestors. It’s nowhere near as bad as the media makes it out to be. But I can see how it looks that way. Overall our crime rate is still incredibly low. 

• Like 3

I don't sign on to Twitter as often as I sign on here LOL...  as i said earlier, i even got confused if we had a "new format" here our forums :P.  But yes, I do have some social media but rarely use twitter, have no instagram but at least am active in FB LOL...

Back to this tournament, it seems like it's a go as I know of players already there...  now lemme go check my twitter and where's that dang password for that site ?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Newinup said:

I don't sign on to Twitter as often as I sign on here LOL...  as i said earlier, i even got confused if we had a "new format" here our forums :P.  But yes, I do have some social media but rarely use twitter, have no instagram but at least am active in FB LOL...

Back to this tournament, it seems like it's a go as I know of players already there...  now lemme go check my twitter and where's that dang password for that site ?

I had my twitter auto login for 8 years then got a new computer last year and trying to remember my password nearly drove me insane lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

30 minutes ago, Newinup said:

The tournament looks a go; no reports of cancellation of LPGA charter flight.  Even Brooke Henderson is still on the entry list.

This tournament should benefit greatly from the finishes at ANA; as they said, "All publicity is good publicity."  People are hungry for more Brooke and Nelly because of the way ANA finished.

Brooke got her first win here as a 17 years old non-member and dominated this tournament for several years.  But now she'll have to fight away new challengers; Bianca Pagdanganan and Hinako Shibuno.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, 18majors said:

The tournament looks a go; no reports of cancellation of LPGA charter flight.  Even Brooke Henderson is still on the entry list.

This tournament should benefit greatly from the finishes at ANA; as they said, "All publicity is good publicity."  People are hungry for more Brooke and Nelly because of the way ANA finished.

Brooke got her first win here as a 17 years old non-member and dominated this tournament for several years.  But now she'll have to fight away new challengers; Bianca Pagdanganan and Hinako Shibuno.

She can't pass this event up I guess, in 5X playing the event she's never started Saturday worse than -9 and has 3 top 5's and her worse finish is 21st which was understandable as it was after winning the CP the week before, she opened with a 64 than hit a wall and had a rough weekend.  Actually last 3 times she's had a rough weekend here, if she can clean it up she should be there at the end with a chance.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, 18majors said:

Yes I remember Brooke winning this event as a teenager! ? Way before Bianca was even in college and have no clue what Shibuno was doing then - HS too, I think LOL

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Newinup said:

Yes I remember Brooke winning this event as a teenager! ? Way before Bianca was even in college and have no clue what Shibuno was doing then - HS too, I think LOL

The thing I remember most about that week was how pissed Brittany was at Brooke lol.  Brittany got a sponsor's exemption that week and Brooke was suppose to caddie for her but Brooke said while I'm here I might as well try and Monday qualify, she did, Brit missed the cut and Brooke went on to lap the field lol.  I suspect the event knew what they were doing giving Brit the sponsor's invite as Brooke had already used her 6 before hand.  I'm sure Brit is over it now, 10% (AT A MINIUM) of Brooke's earning would tend to smooth things out lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, 18majors said:

I've been hoping for something to elevate LPGA to new heights; a Nancy Lopez, a female Tiger Woods or something.

It's just occurred to me may be the best is rivalries featuring young stars like Brooke, Nelly, Minjee and Lydia.  Each has tons of star power and if they all play to their potential, we'd have many story lines at each event.

Even though 2020 is a tough year for all, but it may be a year for LPGA to stand out and be counted.

That's why I say all these girls right now are gonna have a near impossible time getting to the hall of Fame even though many will probably deserve it.

• Like 1

Due to conflicts with US Open, Golf Channel's broadcast on Friday, Saturday and Sunday will be taped delayed.

For those who don't mind watching live streaming, these are the schedule:

Friday                            3:30 - 6:30 PDT

Saturday                       11:00 - 2:00 PDT

Sunday                          11:00 - 2:00 PDT

Edited by 18majors
  • Thanks 1