2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Just ordered new MP irons

Karch

6 hours ago, Karch said:

I got a call on Wednesday that they were in.  Got there and had to come back later as both Trackman's were booked up.

Initial impressions are they feel like butter...so smooth.

Hit about 10 balls with each the 7 MB and 6 MMC, and while my swing isn't where it was 6 weeks ago (I played in a baseball tournament in late October, 6 games in 4 days, including one game where I threw 170 pitches, and messed up my golf swing), the gap seemed ok on stock lofts.

The 2i HMB didn't seem that great on the Trackman, or I didn't, so I didn't purchase it.  Perhaps the P790 UDI 17* is better for me?

I went out to my GF's course this weekend, drove poorly, but threw some balls down to better gauge the irons.

They hit really well.  I am slightly longer, I think, with them, but the weather is cooler than it was even a month ago, but I've been playing long enough to adjust (I think, at least).

They feel amazing, even the MMC.  I can work them both ways, haven't had a chance to try any into the wind shots, I think just being fitted right, they seem great.

Good enough that I'm going to sell my MP-64's, and that is rare, as I have always kept my old irons (still have my Staff FG-17, Hogan Apex, and MP-33).

Oddly, I also got a 50 and 54 Vokey, and those don't seem to be going the distances I expect, about 7 yards short, and that is a big concern.

Anyway, the new MP's are really sweet, really digging them.

Thanks for your input and interest.

Awesome to hear, OP!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2020 at 1:19 AM, Hobbs said:

Sounds like a good set for the OP.  Long time Mizuno fan.  20 years with the MP-14, then went MP-15 (short lived), then MP-18 SC.  Sold my MP-18 SC and currently game Titleist T100, but looking at the MP-20 MMC.  There is something about Mizuno irons that keep me coming back.  I game my MP-14 from time to time and fall in love all over again.  Just need something more forgiving on mishits.  Seems like the MMC might be the answer, especially after all the positive feedbacks I've read.

I have been gaming Titleist AP2 710’s, AP3 718’s (only a year), and now AP2 718’s...  switching to MP20 MMC’s now via a bst purchase with my normal specs.  Haven’t actually hit them yet, but very excited to start figuring them out!  Any thoughts out there on what I should expect in the change?

• 7 months later...

Just a little update to anyone who might be following...

the new irons are great.  I was getting them down pretty good.  I was hitting them consistently the right yardages, until a few weeks ago.  I don't know if my swing is changing or me joining a gym, but I am airmailing greens and that is really odd for me.  I never was one to be short often, usually about the right distance but equally short and long, nothing obvious.

I played in a team match play a couple weeks ago and my competitor, friendly guy, noted I've been long quite a bit.  I noticed as well, but I was flushing it, and figured maybe it's the breeze?

Last week I was nuking it over the green. 

OK, and then there's my P790 2 iron.  OMG.  This thing is for real.  I have hit it everywhere, it's awesome.  Choke down an inch or two and it's a low bullet...hit it with the entire shaft and it's a dream.  High little draw off the tee, no problem.  Only thing that's a little tough is probably a cut...perhaps it's draw biased?  Seriously, I could get around with no woods at all and manage fine, but I've still got an ego and love to hit driver when I can.

Other update, no longer dating a golfer, currently.  So I'm not playing quite as often, plus I'm playing baseball on Sundays.

15 minutes ago, Karch said:

Just a little update to anyone who might be following...

the new irons are great.  I was getting them down pretty good.  I was hitting them consistently the right yardages, until a few weeks ago.  I don't know if my swing is changing or me joining a gym, but I am airmailing greens and that is really odd for me.  I never was one to be short often, usually about the right distance but equally short and long, nothing obvious.

I played in a team match play a couple weeks ago and my competitor, friendly guy, noted I've been long quite a bit.  I noticed as well, but I was flushing it, and figured maybe it's the breeze?

Last week I was nuking it over the green. 

OK, and then there's my P790 2 iron.  OMG.  This thing is for real.  I have hit it everywhere, it's awesome.  Choke down an inch or two and it's a low bullet...hit it with the entire shaft and it's a dream.  High little draw off the tee, no problem.  Only thing that's a little tough is probably a cut...perhaps it's draw biased?  Seriously, I could get around with no woods at all and manage fine, but I've still got an ego and love to hit driver when I can.

Other update, no longer dating a golfer, currently.  So I'm not playing quite as often, plus I'm playing baseball on Sundays.

Sounds like you're grooving that P790. Good on ya. As for the extra distance in your irons, I am totally confident it has nothing to do with the clubs. You are probably just in great golf shape, peak-season golf form, playing in warm and dry weather, and/or maybe catching a rare flier or just getting a bad distance reading. On a clean lie, there is nothing in a Mizuno blade, or even an MMC, that is going to cause an unexpected "nuke."

As for the P790, that's a different story. I hit many over-the-green torpedos with that set. But if you're just playing the 2 iron, those distance irregularities aren't going to hurt anything. Keep bashing that one. 

Edited by uglande

Titleist TSR3 08.00 – Ventus Red 065x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – Tour AD DI 075x

Titleist TSR2 18.00 – Tour AD DI 085x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – Tour AD DI 095x

Titleist TSR2 24.00 – Tour AD DI 105x

Titleist T100 6i 7i 8i 9i – Tour X100

Titleist SM09 46 50 54 60 – Tour S400

Titleist Pro V1 56 – White Hot OG5 CS

Thanks for the reply.  I believe the distance with the Mizunos is definitely not the clubs.  I teed up a 5 iron on an uphill 185y par 3 that I've played probably 30 times.  It's always one club more than the distance.  Lasered 185 to the flag, flag was middle.  Green is a good 35y deep, front to back.  I was over the green and past the cart path.  Probably a solid 200y plus the slope.  These are akin to where I was hitting 15 years ago...I think it's possibly the weight training plus, like you said, the hotter air temps.

If this was isolated, I wouldn't bother with reassessing my yardages, but it was all day, plus the last few rounds.  The worst part is it's exposing my weakest part of my game, my chipping...haha.

Love that 2 iron...I'm really happy with the Tour AD Xstiff shaft.