Gamble Sands or Wine Valley? Buffalo Peak or Wildhorse?

Skeeter

Wife and I are finishing our quest of playing at least one course in every state. We need ID, OR, WA, WY, MT

Trying to figure out if the extra bit of drive from Wine Valley to Gamble Sands is worth it. 

Also playing heck finding a great course in Eastern OR. 

Found Buffalo Peak and Wildhorse. No idea which to play. 

any and all advise would be greatly appreciated. 

What time of the year are you talking?  Are you RVing around the state, or flying in for vacation or what?

Wine Valley and Gamble Sands are both excellent but it is a 3 to 4 hour drive between them?   If you're already on a specific route or itinerary it's out of the way, but only you can decide if the time is worth it.  If you have a flexible schedule then I recommend Gamble Sands as worth the detour.

Is there a particular part of eastern WA you'll be in?  If you're already hitting Wine Valley and then on your way farther east to Idaho, hit Palouse Ridge in Pullman on the way, then cross the border and go up to Circling Raven on your way to Coeur D' Alene before continuing east to MT.

• Like 1

Flying into Boise. Rental Car from there. Heading clockwise through the corner of OR then up into WA. Onward to Couer D’Arlene ID, into MT, and down through Yellowstone and Jackson Hole. 

Probably only time for one per state unless a state has a “must play” 2 on the route ish. 

Mid June. 

Planning on

Circling Raven in ID

Gamble or Wine in WA

Old Works in MT

???? in OR

Teton Pines in WY

Edited by Skeeter

1 hour ago, Skeeter said:

Flying into Boise. Rental Car from there. Heading clockwise through the corner of OR then up into WA. Onward to Couer D’Arlene ID, into MT, and down through Yellowstone and Jackson Hole. 

Probably only time for one per state unless a state has a “must play” 2 on the route ish. 

Mid June. 

Planning on

Circling Raven in ID

Gamble or Wine in WA

Old Works in MT

???? in OR

Teton Pines in WY

In Montana the course to play is Wilderness Club.   Not easy to get to but if you stay in Whitefish the area is great and the drive up to play is 45-50 mins.

Gamble sands is probably too far out of the way then.  Realistically from Boise into eastern Oregon Silvies is the logistically easiest course.  Wildhorse also makes sense route wise as it's fairly easy to go up to Pendleton and then up to Walla Walla for Wine Valley.  I've played Silvies and can recommend it, but the main reason for it is the reversible course design, so you should probably plan on 2 days golfing there to experience the routing both ways.   If that's too much then Wildhorse is fine, but it's not a must play.  Does check the box of playing in the state though.

If you are going from Wine Valley to Circling Raven, Palouse Ridge is worth the stop.  IMO it's a better course than Silvies or Wildhorse, and it's right on the way between Walla Walla and Worley.

If Coeur d'Alene is the region of ID you're choosing, I'd highly encourage considering Circling Raven over CdA. You won't have the postcard picture with the floating green, but in terms of the better course, I put CR quite a bit above CdA.

• Like 2

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

Gamble Sands is pretty & a lot of fun, but it's mostly flat greens are by design not too challenging.  Not sure Gamble is worth the 3.5 hr drive from Walla Walla (unless you were heading northwest anyway).

I'm a Wine Valley fan.  I think its the best course in the state, just a little better than Chambers Bay (even with its much improved new greens) because WV's par 3s are not all downhill.

WV has some large greens with internal slope. Its fairways are wide, & play very firm.

One of the main reasons I love WV is that some of the greens have sideboards & backboards, so sometimes the best route to the hole is not the most direct.

(I agree with Kaschreiber:  if you're playing the Resort course at Coeur d'Alene, also consider Circling Raven -  30 minutes south near Worley.)

I’m in the minority here, and granted I’m not an Idaho native, but have spent some amount of time playing golf there. 
I much much prefer the resort course to circling raven. I spent some time there this summer and played both, and was extremely unimpressed by circling raven. 
I would however, highly stress Palouse Ridge as the best in region. It’s a great track and ranks high on my all time favorite list. 
I once didn’t leave Pullman for 4 days longer just so I could play a few more rounds there. Pissed work off something fierce 😂

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 11:18 AM, ryu123 said:

Gamble Sands is pretty & a lot of fun, but it's mostly flat greens are by design not too challenging.  Not sure Gamble is worth the 3.5 hr drive from Walla Walla (unless you were heading northwest anyway).

I'm a Wine Valley fan.  I think its the best course in the state, just a little better than Chambers Bay (even with its much improved new greens) because WV's par 3s are not all downhill.

WV has some large greens with internal slope. Its fairways are wide, & play very firm.

One of the main reasons I love WV is that some of the greens have sideboards & backboards, so sometimes the best route to the hole is not the most direct.

(I agree with Kaschreiber:  if you're playing the Resort course at Coeur d'Alene, also consider Circling Raven -  30 minutes south near Worley.)

How does Gamble Sands compare to Chambers Bay? Was thinking GS was a must play this summer but not a glowing review. 

TFavor,  I enjoyed both the Resort course at Coeur d'Alene & Circling Raven.  They are very different experiences.  CDA is manicured & pretty;  CR is wild & difficult.

I agree with Edaw:   Gamble Sands is lots of fun but not quite as interesting as Chambers Bay.  It's definitely worth a trip, especially if you play multiple rounds.

GS is an easier walk than either CB or WV.   (CB is the toughest walk of the three.)

If you like 'views' outside the course then CB is the one.  GS has good 'views' of the Columbia River.    WV looks at the Blue Mountains to the east & wind turbines to the southwest, & rolling farmland, but not much else.    (Personally I don't care about 'views' outside the course because I can experience those without playing golf.  They are nice to have, but if the course is sub-standard, pretty surroundings won't save it.)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TFavor said:

How does Gamble Sands compare to Chambers Bay? Was thinking GS was a must play this summer but not a glowing review. 

I think it may come to your ability as well. DMK has been open with GS being playable for everyone, slopes typically work in your favor, there are two driveable par 4s (Chambers 12 is as well), and he wants people to come out and shoot their best rounds. I played Chambers with a few friends a couple weeks ago and we forgot just how much that course can kick you in the teeth, albeit still be a blast to play. GS has their par 3 course opening this year as well and I believe will be open when the course opens for the year, but haven't seen a ton of updates on that front. Haven't messed around on the Cascades putting course either, but if it's anything like Bandon's punchbowl, should be a blast for anyone one it. If you're looking for a place to shack up for a day or two and can lead to low scores- Gamble. If you're looking for the best course, championship venue and don't mind a more difficult round- Chambers.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed- 8*

Callaway Rogue 5w

Srixon ZX7 3-PW

Titleist SM9- 50*, 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

Chambers is in top 3 in the state that I’ve played, but I’ve never played GS. 
I’ve played quite a few times at Chambers Bay. It’s hard to beat in the winter/fall months as it drains wonderfully and is always in great shape. 
It’s ultra unfortunate the PGA left here so sour. Would love to see another PGA event there.

Everybody loves Wine Valley.

You wont find a "must play" in that part of Oregon so Wildhorse will get your check mark completed and  serve its purpose.  LaGrande Country Club allows public play but is 9 holes.

Lagrande/Union  is 1500 feet higher than Pendleton so it should a bit cooler especially if you play in the morning.