2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Slight Toe Hang Anser Styles

MattGolfs

Just did a fitting and found my stroke fits best with around 20° of toe hang. Wondering what you guys are using out there either custom or OEM anser style putters that are anywhere from facebalanced to 30° of toe hang!

10° Titleist TSI2 x Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S

17.5° PING G410 x Fujikura Ventus Red 7S

22° PXG 0317X Gen 2 Hybrid x Mitsubishi MMT 80S

Srixon z545 3 Iron x Nippon Modus 120S

Srixon z585 5 Iron x Nippon Modus 120S

Srixon z785 6-PW x Nippon Modus 120S

Wedges: Titleist SM8 50*12F, 54*12D, 58*8M

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Brandon Double Bend

IG: @matt.golfs

The one thing i’m deciding on is offset. I think that seems to be more or a personal preferance with how I aim. I’m leaning more towards half shaft offset, I think i could see the line better with the half shaft in my white hot pro 3 than with the traditional full offset in the plumbers

The 2019 Bettinardi Studio Stock has about that much toe hang, though I think it's a full shaft offset. The hosel is positioned closer to the center, which gives it a bit less toe hang than a traditional Anser-style.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Cobra LTDx LS 5 wood

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 4-PW

Ping Glide 3.0 wedges

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

6 hours ago, MattGolfs said:

Just did a fitting and found my stroke fits best with around 20° of toe hang. Wondering what you guys are using out there either custom or OEM anser style putters that are anywhere from facebalanced to 30° of toe hang!

Currently using 2018 Bettinardi BB1. I think it has 17* toe hang.

Or if you are looking for newer models:

https://bettinardi.com/collections/2021-studio-stock/products/2021-studio-stock-28-putter

Edited by hypergolf

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

On 3/20/2021 at 11:44 PM, MaineMariner said:

The 2019 Bettinardi Studio Stock has about that much toe hang, though I think it's a full shaft offset. The hosel is positioned closer to the center, which gives it a bit less toe hang than a traditional Anser-style.

Careful with this one, I just sold my Betti studio stock 2 because (though toe hang was perfect) the offset was a surprising 1.5 shafts

I handed off this putter a few hours ago to the new owner.

Had like 10-20° of toe hang. Never actually snapped a pic of it. 

20200823_173019-01.jpeg.009dbfebefb85c0ab1faf7a5657f7649.jpeg

20200823_173041-01.jpeg.76ef255588172db1aa0ee2c3e17b0d0a.jpeg

20200823_172957-01.jpeg.ea248326715c49f99f4e7ad10e9e7765.jpeg

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I'm a partial toe hanger(maybe 10 deg), part arc too. My putter tweaking from the last 6 months discovered the following:

-when I added lead tape to the toe of ProSelect(my anser knockoff), it made some initial differences, but no real lasting improvements. I tried from 4 - 8grams. I'm done with this and removing the tape.
-when I set up my own jig to measure the loft, I made and tested changes from 1 - 4 degrees. 1.5 - 2 degrees works for me, as I can lag the putter from there, to add or subtract loft for a given shot. This setting stays.
-when I rattlecan refinished, or, bent the loft down to 1.5 degrees(or both), I then lost sighting of the contrasting colored face insert. This was actually an assist to perpendicular squaring of the face to the target line while standing over the shot...now I know! I will be applying a new contrasting line to the top, so that this newly discovered aiming need is satisfied.
-I had a fresh classic putter pistol grip installed last year during the covid break. I've since discovered my mentally retarded dependancy on the need to zero my feel on this grip style, before I aim, squeeze and fire. I'm going to divorce myself from the pistol grip, not go with the SS style big diameter heavy grips, but try a Jumbo iron/wood grip(non-aligning). This will free me from any OCD need to think I can feel when the putter is zeroed in my hands. I will trust the eyes & feet even more for aiming, and less feel in the hands. I want to try this, instead of torque bending the pistol grip to find a weird OCD fix of some kind.
-I will likely increase the length of the little white 'in-line' alignment mark, as this could also help find square to target line. Also, I have found like many, that an off-of-center tap shot towards the toe, especially on a downhiller, has fine speed control with this type of head. Increasing this alignment line should help me better guage where to strike on these off-of-center tap-in shots.
-when I grip down on it with a more compact putting style(kind of like if the putter was 33 inches in length, instead of 34), I seem to have more speed control. I may butt trim about a half inch to help me promote and more repeat this style, for results.
-its tempting to think about refinishing the head by powder coating it in my oven. I would have to pull the shaft to do it, then re-assemble. Never done this, could be fun, even if I eff it up.

I believe it's paramount to know when a putter face is square to the intended putting line, no matter how that gets done.

cheers,

3 hours ago, MattM97 said:

I handed off this putter a few hours ago to the new owner.

Had like 10-20° of toe hang. Never actually snapped a pic of it. 

20200823_173019-01.jpeg.009dbfebefb85c0ab1faf7a5657f7649.jpeg

20200823_173041-01.jpeg.76ef255588172db1aa0ee2c3e17b0d0a.jpeg

20200823_172957-01.jpeg.ea248326715c49f99f4e7ad10e9e7765.jpeg

Love the look of this one! Not the biggest fan of long plumbers necks because they just look a little off to me but the length on this one isn’t too long and looks great!

3 hours ago, FirstFlight said:

I'm a partial toe hanger(maybe 10 deg), part arc too. My putter tweaking from the last 6 months discovered the following:

-when I added lead tape to the toe of ProSelect(my anser knockoff), it made some initial differences, but no real lasting improvements. I tried from 4 - 8grams. I'm done with this and removing the tape.
-when I set up my own jig to measure the loft, I made and tested changes from 1 - 4 degrees. 1.5 - 2 degrees works for me, as I can lag the putter from there, to add or subtract loft for a given shot. This setting stays.
-when I rattlecan refinished, or, bent the loft down to 1.5 degrees(or both), I then lost sighting of the contrasting colored face insert. This was actually an assist to perpendicular squaring of the face to the target line while standing over the shot...now I know! I will be applying a new contrasting line to the top, so that this newly discovered aiming need is satisfied.
-I had a fresh classic putter pistol grip installed last year during the covid break. I've since discovered my mentally retarded dependancy on the need to zero my feel on this grip style, before I aim, squeeze and fire. I'm going to divorce myself from the pistol grip, not go with the SS style big diameter heavy grips, but try a Jumbo iron/wood grip(non-aligning). This will free me from any OCD need to think I can feel when the putter is zeroed in my hands. I will trust the eyes & feet even more for aiming, and less feel in the hands. I want to try this, instead of torque bending the pistol grip to find a weird OCD fix of some kind.
-I will likely increase the length of the little white 'in-line' alignment mark, as this could also help find square to target line. Also, I have found like many, that an off-of-center tap shot towards the toe, especially on a downhiller, has fine speed control with this type of head. Increasing this alignment line should help me better guage where to strike on these off-of-center tap-in shots.
-when I grip down on it with a more compact putting style(kind of like if the putter was 33 inches in length, instead of 34), I seem to have more speed control. I may butt trim about a half inch to help me promote and more repeat this style, for results.
-its tempting to think about refinishing the head by powder coating it in my oven. I would have to pull the shaft to do it, then re-assemble. Never done this, could be fun, even if I eff it up.

I believe it's paramount to know when a putter face is square to the intended putting line, no matter how that gets done.

cheers,

Super interesting and awesome findings! I have been planning on having a custom putter built and Is always used anser style plumbers necks but figured I’d test a flow neck in case i liked the increased toe hang. 

I tested these two putters for about 3 weeks before going into a putter fitting that was last Saturday. From the fitting, my set up was dialed in as were my specs. 32.5” and 71° lie angle. Never went shorter than 33.5” so this change was awesome as I felt like my hands were in the right place and I love the upright lie angle (previously 69°) I also found that the more toe hang that I have in my hands, the more I feel the face wanting to open so I compensate by turning it over more resulting in pulling more putts with toe hang. This was contrary to everything most folks say about adding toe hang if you pull putts. 

Ive settled on a long round pipe neck to achieve a toe hang between 20-30°. The last piece was offset. After switching between my plumbers neck and the flow neck with half shaft off set. from my view at address I can see line much clearer with the half shaft offset as I feel like i’m set up left with the full shaft plumbers neck. 

Finally, I’ve moved from a PING blackout grip to a superstroke GT Tour  to quiet my wrist down and keep it consistent as well at 370 grams of headweight to accommodate the very short putter build. 

Took me around a month and many terrible putting rounds but I think i’ve finally found what’ll work best for me. Now the wait for my putter build begins!

14 hours ago, MattGolfs said:

Took me around a month and many terrible putting rounds but I think i’ve finally found what’ll work best for me. Now the wait for my putter build begins!

I always find it amazing, that my frustrations must truly set in, before I resolve to 'man up' and try to fix/understand my game. For me, this is the year of the putter. I intend to lower my putting hcap and average; to find, harmony. 

MattGolfs, I wish you good luck, and good results on your putting journey. May the force be with you.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is old...but I had that putter after @MattM97.  I also didn't take a measurement of the neck but it was eighr between a standard and long neck plumbers neck. It also had around 3/4 offset, not full shaft. 

I just had another made by Lamont that has very minimal toe hang. 

IMG_20230124_144946_257.jpg

Screenshot_20230404-161031_Instagram.jpg

Edited by 5hort5tuff

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade