The Saturday Night Haul

Nice haul. For me, I think the wedges are the best find. One can never have enough wedges, especially with the classic wedges.

Did I read it right when you said you were going to pull the aluminium shaft and ream the head? I have a set of irons with aluminium shafts, and the shafts are wider than steel shafts (from memory, they were about 0.39" just above the ferrule when I measured with callipers), so why ream the head? Won't you need to shim it instead?

• Like 1

I agree, the wedges are awesome. I have at least 30 classic wedges now but was flabbergasted when I found these because they are in such great shape. I'll play with all of them eventually.

As for the shaft diameter, I also thought they would be wide when I pulled my first Staff aluminum shaft, but they are actually narrower.  I was expecting to put in some unitized DGs, but the taper tips were the answer.

They are very odd shafts with thick walls and are about .320 wide. I say about because none of them are round, they are as narrow as .318 in spots. There isn't much to ream, but it still takes a while to do a whole set. But it won't take too long to swap just two heads.

I've done a bunch of Staffs now and this is consistent. I started with a '68 wedge I picked up a few months ago, then did the whole first set of Bullet Backs yesterday. Dynamic .335 taper tips fit perfectly after the reaming. By the way, if anyone is hesitant to convert a staff aluminum shaft head to a steel shaft, it isn't that hard at all. It's much easier than I thought and doesn't take much metal out.

Edited by Stephen8802
  • Like 1

Interesting. The aluminium shafts I have definitely have a larger diameter than steel, and I thought this was the case with all aluminium shafts to make them strong enough to withstand the golf swing.

As one of of the shafts is bent, I might pull them, chuck the shafts and re-shaft the heads with steel shafts (using a shim). I'm not particularly fond of the aluminium shafts anyway.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Interesting. The aluminium shafts I have definitely have a larger diameter than steel, and I thought this was the case with all aluminium shafts to make them strong enough to withstand the golf swing.

As one of of the shafts is bent, I might pull them, chuck the shafts and re-shaft the heads with steel shafts (using a shim). I'm not particularly fond of the aluminium shafts anyway.

True Temper and The LeFiell Co. manufactured aluminum golf shafts in the 60's/70's. 

TT designed theirs with steps. LeFiell with straight taper.

Catchy yours are TT with .395" tips.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, raggal62 said:

True Temper and The LeFiell Co. manufactured aluminum golf shafts in the 60's/70's. 

TT designed theirs with steps. LeFiell with straight taper.

Catchy yours are TT with .395" tips.

I had to go and look. Mine still have the labels on. True Temper Aluminum Rocket shafts. I thought they were straight taper, but you're quite right, they are stepped. The steps are less pronounced than on steel stepped shafts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Interesting. The aluminium shafts I have definitely have a larger diameter than steel, and I thought this was the case with all aluminium shafts to make them strong enough to withstand the golf swing...

When I pulled the Bullet Back shafts, every single one was bent. I'm assuming someone bend them on purpose because they were all bent, but maybe they were been bent because they where not strong enough to withstand the golf swing.

AL shaft small.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Stephen8802 said:

When I pulled the Bullet Back shafts, every single one was bent. I'm assuming someone bend them on purpose because they were all bent, but maybe they were been bent because they where not strong enough to withstand the golf swing.

AL shaft small.jpeg

Well, your callipers put mine to shame😄

As I have only the one bent shaft, I just assumed it was through play. It also bends back from the handle to the head, as if the head bit into the turf and the hands kept going forward. However, it could have even been done in anger.

It's also not a huge bend, as I didn't notice it right away, but enough to see when you look right down the shaft. That also makes me think it came from normal play. Maybe hitting into a tree trunk or something?

14 hours ago, Stephen8802 said:

I agree, the wedges are awesome. I have at least 30 classic wedges now but was flabbergasted when I found these because they are in such great shape. I'll play with all of them eventually.

As for the shaft diameter, I also thought they would be wide when I pulled my first Staff aluminum shaft, but they are actually narrower.  I was expecting to put in some unitized DGs, but the taper tips were the answer.

They are very odd shafts with thick walls and are about .320 wide. I say about because none of them are round, they are as narrow as .318 in spots. There isn't much to ream, but it still takes a while to do a whole set. But it won't take too long to swap just two heads.

I've done a bunch of Staffs now and this is consistent. I started with a '68 wedge I picked up a few months ago, then did the whole first set of Bullet Backs yesterday. Dynamic .335 taper tips fit perfectly after the reaming. By the way, if anyone is hesitant to convert a staff aluminum shaft head to a steel shaft, it isn't that hard at all. It's much easier than I thought and doesn't take much metal out.

Awesome haul, finding that in a thrift store is amazing!  Curious about the Aluminum shaft pulls.  I have a set of 67 Dynapowers with aluminum that I have considered re-shafting, but was worried it maybe more difficult than normal shafts. Are you using the typical approach of a torch with a shaft puller?  

The Mike Rees videos are very informative and I have watched all of them.  I picked up a bottle jack shaft puller from ebay and it has served me well, and it basically uses the same method as shown above (Heat + leverage).   I had been nervous the heat would melt the aluminum shaft before I could get the head removed, but based on your experience I decided to give it a try tonight.  A few needed a little extra coaxing but all in all it went way easier than I expected.  Results are below, cooling on the garage floor, 2-PW.  The original aluminum set I picked up was missing the 5, but I found a bullet back 5 with a bent aluminum shaft in a bin and figured it needed a new home.  Now I just need to ream them and find a set of donor .335 shafts.  Any advice on good donor sets to get a set of the shafts?

staff shaft pulls.jpg

I'm psyched you gave it a shot and pulled it off. I don't think there is anything I've tried yet that I haven't been nervous about, and most of it has been easier than I thought it would be.

I've had my best luck with the big brand names from about the year 2000, give or take a few. I bought a set of DCI irons at a Goodwill for $35, pulled the S300 shafts, then sold the heads for $35 on eBay. The last set was some Cleveland TA3s for $25, about the same time period, with Dynamic stiffs. Get to the Golfworks archives on the web and look for all the major brands from about that time period that have .355 shafts, then hit up thrifts on a regular basis. You can also just search on your phone for that site from the store and figure it out. (Here is the DCI page: https://www.golfworks.com/images/art/titleist.pdf).

If you are willing to ream them out to parallel, then pretty much any full set with the right flavor of dynamic or rifle shafts would work. Golfworks sells both reamers, so the work would be about the same. I would have gone there if I didn't find the .355s, but I held out a bit and a set fell in my lap.

Edited by Stephen8802

19 hours ago, Stephen8802 said:

Pair those up with one of the D.S. wedges, throw in an Iron Master, and you would be good to go. If I lived in Chicagoland, I'd be happy to loan them out.

I'll hit these and I'm curious how they will feel. I may wait a bit though until things warm up.

I'll second @coldwareragolfer on this one, those Armours are gorgeous!! Like you said, toss in one of those wedges and maybe a brassie, you've got yourself a really fun vintage short set. I actually came across an old copper faced M75 2-iron over the winter here in Chicago that was just in too good of shape to pass up. I took it to the course for the first time yesterday not expecting much, but boy oh boy was I wrong. This club is just tailor made to blast stingers off the tee. I'm not sure if it was cut down at some point or just naturally the length of a modern day 5-iron, but this club holds the ball nice and low on a windy day and carries roughly 200-210 plus rollout. Doesn't require you to do anything cute to hold it low, just swing away and enjoy. Pleasant surprises like this, with 65-70 year old equipment is what golf is all about for me at the moment. There's just something so cool to picking up a club that old, one that probably hasn't been touched in decades and throwing it right in the bag for a round of play. Great finds @Stephen8802! Like you said, this is the haul you quiet yourself at night dreaming about.