Ventus Blue Tipping for Dr, 3W, 2HY

Posted (edited)

I've been reading some post about the topic but I'm still not sure what I should do.

I'm 2.6 hdcp and my swing speed is around 112mph to 115mph, swing tempo is moderate. Definitely swinger rather than hitter.

A few months ago, I tested Ventus Blue 6X in Sim2 8* driver (stock weight) with trackman. Really liked how it loads but the spin was 2500-2800rpm which is a bit too much for me, so I decided to put Tensei Pro White 1k 60TX in play. 

Then, I got aftermarket weights for the head and now the head has 14g in the front and 6g in the back to move the cg towards the face. With the new setting, the spin rate is around 2300-2500rpm which is still a bit high. The feel is just ok, maybe a hair too stout and hard to turn the face. Dispersion is not good and I'm dropping score because of that.

After all, I came to the realization that I can't forget about the feel of Ventus, so I would like to make it work by tipping it.

So, my questions are:

How much tipping would you recommend to get spin rate around 2000-2300rpm? Is a half inch enough or an inch? 

And what should I do if I'm putting Ventus Blue 7X in 3W and HB 8X in 2 hybrid?  I play 44.75 in driver, 42.25 in 3W, and 39.75 in 2HY

I'd appreciate it if you can give me some recommendations.

Edited by kento7421r

Taylormade Sim2 8* / Ventus Blue Velocore 6X tipped 1.0

Taylormade Sim2 13.5* / Ventus Blue Velocore 7X tipped 1.5

Taylormade Sim2 Rescue 17* / Ventus Blue Velocore HB 8X tipped 0.5

Srixon ZX7 4-PW / Steelfiber i95S

Titleist Vokey SM8 52F, 56S, 60T / Steelfiber i95S

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 blacked out 

TP5X

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just my 2c but those numbers are very good and controllable. I actually try to get my driver to 2400-2600 and 3 wood just over 3000. Yes if I launched higher with lower spin it would go a bit farther

Than non-velocore ventus!

2 hours ago, kento7421r said:

I've been reading some post about the topic but I'm still not sure what I should do.

I'm 2.6 hdcp and my swing speed is around 112mph to 115mph, swing tempo is moderate. Definitely swinger rather than hitter.

A few months ago, I tested Ventus Blue 6X in Sim2 8* driver (stock weight) with trackman. Really liked how it loads but the spin was 2500-2800rpm which is a bit too much for me, so I decided to put Tensei Pro White 1k 60TX in play. 

Then, I got aftermarket weights for the head and now the head has 14g in the front and 6g in the back to move the cg towards the face. With the new setting, the spin rate is around 2300-2500rpm which is still a bit high. The feel is just ok, maybe a hair too stout and hard to turn the face. Dispersion is not good and I'm dropping score because of that.

After all, I came to the realization that I can't forget about the feel of Ventus, so I would like to make it work by tipping it.

So, my questions are:

How much tipping would you recommend to get spin rate around 2000-2300rpm? Is a half inch enough or an inch? 

And what should I do if I'm putting Ventus Blue 7X in 3W and HB 8X in 2 hybrid?  I play 44.75 in driver, 42.25 in 3W, and 39.75 in 2HY

I'd appreciate it if you can give me some recommendations.

I’m playing 3 Ventus blue shafts.  7x driver untipped at 45” d4+ SW.  8x tipped 1” 3w at d2 42.75.  10x tipped .5” in 19 hybrid at d1 40.25”.  I’m also playing a sim2 driver head but mine is 10.5 on the “lower” setting.  

Hate to give you the “it’s yours technique” spill I see all the time but tipping a Ventus blue  shaft is not going to lower your driver spin a significant amount unless it changes the way you deliver the club. It will make it feel a little firmer and possibly measure at a little stiffer frequency but if that doesn’t make you deliver less dynamic loft/spin loft it’s not going to change your spin numbers a noticeable amount.   

if you’re talking about the Ventus blue non velocore that comes stock on the Taylormade driver, the Ventus velocore aftermarket shaft is a completely different shaft.  you should have no problem problem getting optimal driver spin with a 6x velocore untipped at your speed but only if it fits your swing. 

Without seeing any other numbers from trackman, 2300-2600 is actually a good playable spin number for a driver if you’re 170 ball speed on perfect strikes in my opinion.  Much lower and you bring in the snap hook off the planet miss when you

high toe one.  

One inch for driver, 1.5 for 3 metal, and one to 1.5 for hybrid.  That's how mine is set up and my ss is 118 for reference.  That should bring the spin down a bit. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

Just my 2c but those numbers are very good and controllable. I actually try to get my driver to 2400-2600 and 3 wood just over 3000. Yes if I launched higher with lower spin it would go a bit farther but there can be a serious hit to control.  I have 175 ball speed.

• Like 1

D Epic Max LS 9.0 AD XC 7TX
FW: SIM2 15 AD XC 8X
HY: Apex Pro 21' 20* Ventus Blue 9x
Irons: Srixon ZX7 Modus 125x
Wedges:SM7 52F 56F 60D Modus 125x and 125 wedge
Putter: Odyssey Works 7CH KBS CT Tour

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Ed McNicholas said:

Just my 2c but those numbers are very good and controllable. I actually try to get my driver to 2400-2600 and 3 wood just over 3000. Yes if I launched higher with lower spin it would go a bit farther but there can be a serious hit to control.  I have 175 ball speed.

My ball speed is the same and I def agree with you.  I like my set up as is and I'm getting 2000-2300 rpm but at times find dispersion a bit off if my swing isn't spot on with driver.  It does produce max distance for me.  I'm one of those guys that like to play trackman hero.  😂

Edited by phizzy30

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

2 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

My ball speed is the same and I def agree with you.  I like my set up as is and I'm getting 2000-2300 rpm but at times find dispersion a bit off if my swing isn't spot on with driver.  It does produce max distance for me.  I'm one of those guys that like to play trackman hero.  😂

Been there done that I score better now and can still carry over 300.

7 hours ago, GOLF4373 said:

I’m playing 3 Ventus blue shafts.  7x driver untipped at 45” d4+ SW.  8x tipped 1” 3w at d2 42.75.  10x tipped .5” in 19 hybrid at d1 40.25”.  I’m also playing a sim2 driver head but mine is 10.5 on the “lower” setting.  

Hate to give you the “it’s yours technique” spill I see all the time but tipping a Ventus blue  shaft is not going to lower your driver spin a significant amount unless it changes the way you deliver the club. It will make it feel a little firmer and possibly measure at a little stiffer frequency but if that doesn’t make you deliver less dynamic loft/spin loft it’s not going to change your spin numbers a noticeable amount.   

if you’re talking about the Ventus blue non velocore that comes stock on the Taylormade driver, the Ventus velocore aftermarket shaft is a completely different shaft.  you should have no problem problem getting optimal driver spin with a 6x velocore untipped at your speed but only if it fits your swing. 

Without seeing any other numbers from trackman, 2300-2600 is actually a good playable spin number for a driver if you’re 170 ball speed on perfect strikes in my opinion.  Much lower and you bring in the snap hook off the planet miss when you

high toe one.  

Thanks for your thoughts,

Forgot to mention but everything is Ventus Blue Velocore, not the stock Ventus.

I definitely agree it is also my swing fault. I feel like shaft profile changes how I swing too. I miss right with tensei but not so much with ventus so thats one reason I'm switching.

Number-wise, I think it's not too bad. AoA 3.2, dyn. loft 13 .3, launch angle 11.8, Smash 1.5, and spin loft 10.4.

Optimizer says spin and hight is too much.

TP5X

31 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

One inch for driver, 1.5 for 3 metal, and one to 1.5 for hybrid.  That's how mine is set up and my ss is 118 for reference.  That should bring the spin down a bit. 

Cool, thanks for sharing your setting.

TP5X

22 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I'm with you, I like to be trackman hero too hahaha

I'm probably being greedy that I'm not getting 310+ avg in trackman, but in reality, I'm not getting much of roll on course and getting pretty bad result when hitting into the wind you know.

TP5X

32 minutes ago, Ed McNicholas said:

Thanks for your opinion,

I agree it isn't too bad. I'm just not a good driver and the miss is not too different for me when I was playing a driver that gives me 2000-2300rpm so I'm like why not optimize it.

TP5X

16 minutes ago, kento7421r said:

I definitely agree it is also my swing fault. I feel like shaft profile changes how I swing too. I miss right with tensei but not so much with ventus so thats one reason I'm switching.

Number-wise, I think it's not too bad. AoA 3.2, dyn. loft 13 .3, launch angle 11.8, Smash 1.5, and spin loft 10.4.

Just looking at the ping optimization chart if you want to go less the 2300 you will probably need to increase launch angle

25 minutes ago, Ed McNicholas said:

Just looking at the ping optimization chart if you want to go less the 2300 you will probably need to increase launch angle

Cool, that should be easy for me as I used to have like 5 AoA

TP5X

2 hours ago, Trap Junior said:

I have the velocore and non velocore version of the Ventus Blue 6X.

Anyone else finding the velocore version quite a low launching shaft?

Yes, the velocore version fly lower for me. Don't remember by how much tho.

TP5X

4 hours ago, kento7421r said:

I'm not an expert by any means but it looks like you have few options here. With such a narrow spin-loft window already, and low dynamic loft, you may play with increasing aoa but, as I'm sure you know, that may expose you to the whims of tilted spin axis. Lowering static loft may - or will - decrease your launch angle. If max distance is your goal, that may not be a worthwhile tradeoff. 

Since you're playing TP5X - one of the lowest spinning balls out there - changing balls may not add that much but you can try left dash Prov1x or the new Callaway CSX LS. 

In reality, with those numbers, I'd be willing to bet that your strike location may be biased towards low/heel. So maybe booking a session where you record the results you get and tie them to strike location may be enlightening. Outside of that, perhaps try a couple of heads with different CG locations and see how that goes.

All of the above assumes that you're really married to the idea of making the Ventus Blue at its current length work for you. Good luck.

54 minutes ago, Trap Junior said:

Lower for you in comparison to the non velocioe taylormade version or compared to other shafts?

Than non-velocore ventus!

• Like 1

TP5X

26 minutes ago, PowerPlayer said:

I'm not an expert by any means but it looks like you have few options here. With such a narrow spin-loft window already, and low dynamic loft, you may play with increasing aoa but, as I'm sure you know, that may expose you to the whims of tilted spin axis. Lowering static loft may - or will - decrease your launch angle. If max distance is your goal, that may not be a worthwhile tradeoff. 

Since you're playing TP5X - one of the lowest spinning balls out there - changing balls may not add that much but you can try left dash Prov1x or the new Callaway CSX LS. 

In reality, with those numbers, I'd be willing to bet that your strike location may be biased towards low/heel. So maybe booking a session where you record the results you get and tie them to strike location may be enlightening. Outside of that, perhaps try a couple of heads with different CG locations and see how that goes.

All of the above assumes that you're really married to the idea of making the Ventus Blue at its current length work for you. Good luck.

Thanks for the input!

So far, it seems like going with 6X tipped an inch and increase AoA would do the trick or at least make it better.

Adding AoA should not be a problem cuz I used to have much greater AoA and it was something natural to me.

According to the tee marks of the face, I consistently hit about a half ball towards the toe, but I'll check it out when I do trackman session next time as I might be swinging differently indoor, also I will test the tee hight.

TP5X

Somewhat related to this topic, hoping one of you folks have the info.......

I recently bought a used Ventus blue.  Can someone provide me stock measurements to the Fujikura logo from the tip??    So that I will know exactly what I’m working with when i receive it.  

Thanks in advance for any and all info!!

1 hour ago, nsduff22 said:

Somewhat related to this topic, hoping one of you folks have the info.......

I recently bought a used Ventus blue.  Can someone provide me stock measurements to the Fujikura logo from the tip??    So that I will know exactly what I’m working with when i receive it.  

Thanks in advance for any and all info!!

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1798806-ventus-blue-tipped-or-not/

TP5X

Just talked with Fujikura guy and he says he would not recommend tipping but I could do an inch for driver, 1.5 for 3W and 0.5 for 2HY

TP5X

I'm 109-11 driver. I play blue 6x in driver and blue 9x in hybrid. Blue 7x in 3wood just didn't work for me. 

Driver is tipped 1/2"

Hybrid is tipped 1/2"

I wouldn't go tip crazy on these shafts. They're plenty stout in the tip section as is. 

For you to drop spin as much as you're looking, you need to change loft. Either with a lower lofted head or a loft adjustment via the adapter.