Monterey, time for 1 round....

R4haehl

Heading to Monterey this Thursday 6/24 thru Monday 6/28 with my wife for a babymoon/anniversary trip, expecting our 1st child this fall. She actually came up with this idea, when I had considered it before saying anything to her. Anywhere we travel, my mind defaults to "what golf is around us?"  as I am sure it does with most WRXers - She is cool with me playing but since this trip isn't a "golf trip," I was able to get the green light for 1 round while we are there.

I have been to Monterey twice and have played: Spyglass, Spanish Bay, Del Monte, The Hay (pre-TGR Design), Bayonet & Blackhorse and Poppy Hills. 

We are not staying at Pebble, so I haven't been able to book Pebble in advance. I have called twice to see if I can get around the 24hr advance for non-resort guests with no luck. Pebble is bucket list for sure and I'd like to play if I can but I'd like to play somewhere I haven't yet, though I would like another crack at Spy. But not this trip as I'd like to play something new to me.  Unfortunately, Pasatiempo which I have not played is not in the cards for this trip.

Currently I have an early tee time at Pacific Grove for both Sat & Sun, and will drop whichever day doesn't work with our plans. I have obviously heard great things about PG back 9 and have always been curious and it's the most affordable 18 hole option.... But recently she mentioned that the hotel we are staying at has a partnership w/ The Club at Pasadera, which is a private club that I hadn't heard of prior to this. Looks like a Nicklaus design. I haven't inquired as to costs or availability for Pasadera.

This is a long winded way of asking....

Should I play:

1. Pacific Grove - play an early and fast round, affordable, "Poor Man's Pebble Beach" - have secured 6:36am tee time on both Sat/Sun

2. Pebble Beach - bucket list, expensive

a. Caveat to this is that I need the tee time to be early, ideally somewhere in the 6am-8am range, so she isn't sitting around waiting for me as she doesn't want to tag along. Which narrows my possibilities that much more. It appears online that PB does have availability on both days.

b. She thinks I should save Pebble for another time that I go with buddies, but I am looking at it as a "when in Rome" type of thing. I've played plenty of golf without buddies so that isn't a dealbreaker for me. I would just hope that I don't get paired up with some slow playing hacks as that would definitely take away from the experience, which is probably a high likelihood at Pebble...

3. The Club at Pasadera via my hotel partnership - zero idea about the course, though I am sure that it is nice. Unsure of guest fee.

4. Longshot.... Any WRXers want to host me/have a connect at MPCC or Cypress? lol - worth a try right?

Thanks for your input!!!

If you can't get on Pebble then I would play The Club At Pasadera since you mentioned that you'd like to play somewhere that you've never played before and you won't always get the chance to play a private club. Someone that I know is a fairly new member at Pasadera and he really likes the golf course and all of the facilities. I've heard that Jim Nantz is also a member at Pasadera.

You can keep trying to get on Pebble and you may get someone that will help you. 

Although some don't care for PG I always have a good time with my friends.

There's also Quail Lodge Golf Club which is always in fantastic shape and it's not too far from the Barnyard in Carmel and also Carmel Valley Ranch a Pete Dye design.

Edited by aloha b.
  • Like 2

Thanks @aloha b. - I do agree with you about the opportunity to play a private that I may not get to play at in the future. I'll be making that phone call today to inquire about guest fees and how it works with my hotel.

I've always been curious about PG even though it isn't the cream of the crop on the peninsula, but I do love and appreciate a good muni even if the front 9 is forgettable in this case (according to what I have heard)

I am still going to try for Pebble but I have low hopes for it to work out in my favor given the timeslot I am aiming for.

Appreciate the heads up on the other courses mentioned. I will keep those in mind for future trips!!

Pasadera is a unique (quirky) layout: 6 par 3’s…. Played it several times. I’d rather play Carmel Valley Ranch TBH over PG or Pasadera but that’s just me.

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

THanks @95124hacker - I have called my hotel a few times to get more info on Pasadera but they have been dropping the ball in giving me any useful info, transferring me to people whose voicemail I get and then don't return my call... Had one call me back where I missed the call, they left a VM with some brief info. I don't think Pasadera will be happening.

But I have spoken to Pebble (a few times) and it sounds like there MIGHT be a single opening for me in the times I am looking for but are sticking to their 24hr booking for non resort guests. Fingers crossed 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, R4haehl said:

THanks @95124hacker - I have called my hotel a few times to get more info on Pasadera but they have been dropping the ball in giving me any useful info, transferring me to people whose voicemail I get and then don't return my call... Had one call me back where I missed the call, they left a VM with some brief info. I don't think Pasadera will be happening.

But I have spoken to Pebble (a few times) and it sounds like there MIGHT be a single opening for me in the times I am looking for but are sticking to their 24hr booking for non resort guests. Fingers crossed 🙂

Good Luck!

Good luck on Pebble! PG is quirky, but fun. The first nine is an out & back parkland course, that starts with back-to-back par 3 holes! You may never play a course with that again ...

The back 9 is really about the 11-17; 10 is a short, benign par 3 that takes you out to the dunes land. 11-17 are as good as any seaside views you will have at Pebble, and remind me lots of golf I've played in Scotland and Ireland. 18 gets you back to the clubhouse ... 😕

Super walkable as well, which is my favorite way to play it.

• Like 1

Don't have time to write a longer post now, but will circle back when I can give more of a recap... Very special day today at Pebble and I am still in disbelief that this all worked out in my favor to actually get a early AM tee time.

Bottom-line, Pebble did not disappoint!!!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, R4haehl said:

Don't have time to write a longer post now, but will circle back when I can give more of a recap... Very special day today at Pebble and I am still in disbelief that this all worked out in my favor to actually get a early AM tee time.

Bottom-line, Pebble did not disappoint!!!!

Glad that you had a special day at Pebble today and everything always works out for a reason! Looking forward to a recap of your day playing PB.

• Like 1

Nice post, glad you enjoyed it. I probably would not play it again . I mean… you only lose your virginity once, right?

• Haha 1

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x