Bushnell Launch Pro Device with Foresight

7 hours ago, kwettig said:

Just to be clear you are connecting to the launch pro’s internal WiFi and having these issues?  Or your home network?

I am connecting directly to the Launch Pro’s internal WiFi.  I may get 20 shots, then instead of the icon at the top of the screen being a green circle showing it is ready it will show a yellow exclamation point.  You check the WiFi and it is searching.  

I have the iPad set to not use any other wireless networks when I am using the Launch Pro.  I thought the problem might be the iPad picking up the weak signal from the house and trying to connect to it.  So when it continued to disconnect randomly after 3, 5, maybe 10 more shots and having to close the app, check the WiFi, then re-open the app, then start the session over (multiple times) I eventually just give up and use the numbers on the unit itself.

Edited by LHGolf4

54 minutes ago, LHGolf4 said:

I am connecting directly to the Launch Pro’s internal WiFi.  I may get 20 shots, then instead of the icon at the top of the screen being a green circle showing it is ready it will show a yellow exclamation point.  You check the WiFi and it is searching.  

I have the iPad set to not use any other wireless networks when I am using the Launch Pro.  I thought the problem might be the iPad picking up the weak signal from the house and trying to connect to it.  So when it continued to disconnect randomly after 3, 5, maybe 10 more shots and having to close the app, check the WiFi, then re-open the app, then start the session over (multiple times) I eventually just give up and use the numbers on the unit itself.

Well that stinks.  I know others have had some connection issues but that sounds like it renders the unit almost unusable.  I’ve not heard great things about Bushnell support but I would probably submit a ticket to see if they can remedy the problem.  

20 minutes ago, kwettig said:

Well that stinks.  I know others have had some connection issues but that sounds like it renders the unit almost unusable.  I’ve not heard great things about Bushnell support but I would probably submit a ticket to see if they can remedy the problem.  

So I am a system administrator in IT and I don't say that to make it sound like I know everything about technology.  However I have a good understanding about how things work and troubleshooting.  I called support and their solution was to plug it into the ethernet port on the router and let it sit there a couple hours (without updating firmware, software, etc.) and then take it back outside and try it again to see if that fixes it (even though it is connected to my WiFi and tells me when I have new firmware available).  I repeated back the steps he asked me to do to be sure I heard him correctly and let him know where I have this setup it there is no ethernet and he confirmed to do this ahead of time and then take it outside.  He said I would need to try that before any additional troubleshooting could be done.

I plan on trying that this afternoon as this is the first chance I have had since I called them Tuesday to actually hit balls.  I honestly do not have high hopes in the solution but if that is what they request to get to the next step so be it because I really want this unit to work as advertised.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, LHGolf4 said:

So I am a system administrator in IT and I don't say that to make it sound like I know everything about technology.  However I have a good understanding about how things work and troubleshooting.  I called support and their solution was to plug it into the ethernet port on the router and let it sit there a couple hours (without updating firmware, software, etc.) and then take it back outside and try it again to see if that fixes it (even though it is connected to my WiFi and tells me when I have new firmware available).  I repeated back the steps he asked me to do to be sure I heard him correctly and let him know where I have this setup it there is no ethernet and he confirmed to do this ahead of time and then take it outside.  He said I would need to try that before any additional troubleshooting could be done.

I plan on trying that this afternoon as this is the first chance I have had since I called them Tuesday to actually hit balls.  I honestly do not have high hopes in the solution but if that is what they request to get to the next step so be it because I really want this unit to work as advertised.

I'm surprised he didn't ask you to turn the device off, wait 30 seconds, then turn it back on again to see if it fixes itself (lol sorry, IT guy here, too)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, LHGolf4 said:

Does the connection work inside the house?

I boosted my house signal and zero issues since one one acre.

21 hours ago, LHGolf4 said:

For all my complaints about wifi connectivity I will say the yardages (at least carry) are pretty spot on.  The total distance might be a little generous, but the carry matches distance with shots at the course so no problems there.

I had to adjust the settings all the way down to get reasonable roll numbers within FSX, but yeah for the most part ignore roll and just go by carry

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kiddoc said:

Does the connection work inside the house?

I boosted my house signal and zero issues since one one acre.

Have not tried, I know the signal is not strong enough outside so I never attempted to use it that way.  I will see how today's session goes using the method support suggested and if it is no better I can run it on the house WiFi this weekend and hit a bunch of chip shots just to see if there is any disconnects.

• Like 1

Ok quick update I have good news and bad news.  Go ahead and get the bad news, the WiFi (connecting directly to the LP from the iPad) is still garbage.  I did their suggestion and it made zero difference 8 disconnects over the course of about 75 shots.  I did not have much faith in their solution, but I will call them again.  I will also clear an area in my office this weekend to hit some chip shots to see if running it on the house WiFi makes it happy.

However maybe some good news is for those having an issue where it is very slow to pick up the ball (or won't pick it up at all).  If you are like me you put the ball down (or on a tee) and you are standing there waiting and waiting.  Mine was having issues so I went to grab a second ball to throw down to see if that would help it and when I stepped away it picked up the ball immediately.  So I hit the shot and put the ball down again, same thing does not want to pick the ball up, step away to grab a second ball and it picks it up the one I am ready to hit.  So if yours is slow to pick it up, just step to the side so the camera no longer sees you and maybe that helps it focus on the ball faster.  I am running firmware 1.1.11.11.   

Edited by LHGolf4

On 4/28/2022 at 9:50 AM, TheZebra said:

This may be a very unintelligent question but I'm new to the launch monitor/simulator world. I bought the BLP a month ago and have really been enjoying it; albeit I'm inside connected to a laptop so I haven't experienced many of the issues stated above.

I'm slowly learning the finer points of the game and trying to pay more attention to details such as spin, launch angle, etc. My question revolves around the tracking of these data points and especially as they relate to distance. If I compare my 9I out side, I'm comfortably hitting this club 145-150 yds with an easy swing. When I hit the same club inside my basement the BLP is registering that shot at 120-125. This seems to be happening with just about every club in my bag. I know everyone likes to think they hit the ball further than they really do, but 20+ yards is a massive difference in club selection. While it hasn't stopped me from enjoying the Foresight Range it has definitely made it more challenging to play courses. 

Has anyone else experienced these kind of issues? The only thing I could think of was that the BLP is on the ground roughly 1.5 inches lower than the turf mat I'm hitting off of but even when I put it on something it didn't seem to change. 

Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Reading through the FAQ on the Bushnell site I see that placing below the mat is not recommended.  On or slightly above will be better.  I would try it slightly above and perhaps that will help the distance calculations but maybe not…5147EF3B-4A14-42E3-A950-EE775416C5CB.jpeg.9acab006ef03dbac5ccba5cfa5a4630b.jpeg

I'm giving up on FSX Play. Do not pay to upgrade. I have a 2060 Super that should be handling this no problem, and even on "Full Performance" mode it runs my GPU at 99%, and creates motion blur on every shot. It's really upsetting considering it handles all other games like COD at full graphics with no problem at 166 Hz.

I'm sure in a year or so FSX Play will have enough upgrades to it to maybe run effectively, but I'm finding myself spending more time in FSX 2020 even after the upgrade. Even the range and data you get from FSX Play is a joke, not to mention you cant even set up cameras to record your swing.  

• Like 3

On 4/27/2022 at 12:59 PM, LHGolf4 said:

If I had an indoor simulator setup with a PC or laptop it would be a lot less frustrating since it connects via USB.  However basic subscription does not allow using FSX on a PC and even when I had gold for 30 days I could get 40-45 minutes max with my gaming laptop as I have no power where my net is setup in the yard.  I am real close to selling mine and being rid of it.

You can use FSX Pro on a PC (although many features and data are locked out) w/o problems on a Basic subscription.

On 4/27/2022 at 8:04 AM, karstens_ghost said:

This thread is definitely leaving me weary about buying.

Just note that only people with issues are going to post.   I've had mine for 2 months w/o any issues.  I've upgraded to the latest FW and again did not have any issues.   I've rolled back and re-updated FW (just for kicks) w/o any issues.    Best purchase I've made in a long time.

• Like 2

On 4/28/2022 at 10:50 AM, TheZebra said:

This may be a very unintelligent question but I'm new to the launch monitor/simulator world. I bought the BLP a month ago and have really been enjoying it; albeit I'm inside connected to a laptop so I haven't experienced many of the issues stated above.

I'm slowly learning the finer points of the game and trying to pay more attention to details such as spin, launch angle, etc. My question revolves around the tracking of these data points and especially as they relate to distance. If I compare my 9I out side, I'm comfortably hitting this club 145-150 yds with an easy swing. When I hit the same club inside my basement the BLP is registering that shot at 120-125. This seems to be happening with just about every club in my bag. I know everyone likes to think they hit the ball further than they really do, but 20+ yards is a massive difference in club selection. While it hasn't stopped me from enjoying the Foresight Range it has definitely made it more challenging to play courses. 

Has anyone else experienced these kind of issues? The only thing I could think of was that the BLP is on the ground roughly 1.5 inches lower than the turf mat I'm hitting off of but even when I put it on something it didn't seem to change. 

Any tips or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

ISS (Indoor Swing Syndrome).   It's real.  Your brain will get used to the low ceilings or whatever else it's subconsciously worried out.  Indoor Swing Syndrome - 11 Tips for Better Indoor Golf - My Golf Simulator     Just to check...   Is your club speed reporting slower indoors?  If so, likely ISS.    If you club speed is similar, but, your ball speed is significantly less, you'll need to look into other things like 'below-sea-level' barometer setting.   I suspect you will find that your Club head speed is simply lower indoor.   Note that club head speed is an independent measurement and does not figure into flight model.   

On 4/29/2022 at 7:36 AM, LHGolf4 said:

did the iPad screen turn off (go to sleep) at any point?  Connection to BLP does not seem to survive through that.  You'll need to go into settings and turn off screening turning off.

8 minutes ago, Pakman said:

did the iPad screen turn off (go to sleep) at any point?  Connection to BLP does not seem to survive through that.  You'll need to go into settings and turn off screening turning off.

You are correct, I did notice that early on.  However mine would still disconnect without going to sleep.  That being said I was able to try it in the house today.  Would not connect over the house WiFi so I just disconnected it from the home network and just left it as a stand alone access point for the iPad.  Hit 40 chip shots and got a B4 error (my first one ever) but it never lost connection to the iPad until that error.  Rebooted it and disconnected from my home network again as it evidently reconnected after the reboot, and hit another 65-70 chip shots with it and the iPad never disconnected. 

All that said I can’t take it outside today due to rain so I can’t give it a full test until later this week.  My theory is the BLP is just outside of the range of the house WiFi (based upon my phone and iPad signal strength and they don’t do well streaming music in that part of the yard) and it might be connecting and disconnecting and maybe causing issues with it holding a connection to the BLP (even though they should be independent).  

Just a theory but given the positive results of my testing today (I think I may have gotten that many shots with a disconnect twice ever) I am hopeful I have a work around.

4 hours ago, LHGolf4 said:

You are correct, I did notice that early on.  However mine would still disconnect without going to sleep.  That being said I was able to try it in the house today.  Would not connect over the house WiFi so I just disconnected it from the home network and just left it as a stand alone access point for the iPad.  Hit 40 chip shots and got a B4 error (my first one ever) but it never lost connection to the iPad until that error.  Rebooted it and disconnected from my home network again as it evidently reconnected after the reboot, and hit another 65-70 chip shots with it and the iPad never disconnected. 

All that said I can’t take it outside today due to rain so I can’t give it a full test until later this week.  My theory is the BLP is just outside of the range of the house WiFi (based upon my phone and iPad signal strength and they don’t do well streaming music in that part of the yard) and it might be connecting and disconnecting and maybe causing issues with it holding a connection to the BLP (even though they should be independent).  

Just a theory but given the positive results of my testing today (I think I may have gotten that many shots with a disconnect twice ever) I am hopeful I have a work around.

Good point!  Might have to turn off auto join on home WiFi so it doesn’t go searching for another WiFi network during session.

7 hours ago, Pakman said:

ISS (Indoor Swing Syndrome).   It's real.  Your brain will get used to the low ceilings or whatever else it's subconsciously worried out.  Indoor Swing Syndrome - 11 Tips for Better Indoor Golf - My Golf Simulator     Just to check...   Is your club speed reporting slower indoors?  If so, likely ISS.    If you club speed is similar, but, your ball speed is significantly less, you'll need to look into other things like 'below-sea-level' barometer setting.   I suspect you will find that your Club head speed is simply lower indoor.   Note that club head speed is an independent measurement and does not figure into flight model.   

Yeah, it's very real. It took me about 4 months to get my driver SS to within a few MPH of my outdoor SS. It's still a bit lower, but close enough that it's not so noticeable.

21 hours ago, Pakman said:

Just note that only people with issues are going to post.   I've had mine for 2 months w/o any issues.  I've upgraded to the latest FW and again did not have any issues.   I've rolled back and re-updated FW (just for kicks) w/o any issues.    Best purchase I've made in a long time.

On the plus side i played my first real round of the year this past weekend and I was hitting shots I never have before. Absolutely flushing my irons. Chipping was another story… couldn’t really replicate that in the sim. I fell backwards into an 80 when that was a phenomenal score for me last year. A lot of Mid-70 rounds out there for me this year. 

GC3 well worth it. Just fix FSX Play. 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Thats two thus far Shooter said:

On the plus side i played my first real round of the year this past weekend and I was hitting shots I never have before. Absolutely flushing my irons. Chipping was another story… couldn’t really replicate that in the sim. I fell backwards into an 80 when that was a phenomenal score for me last year. A lot of Mid-70 rounds out there for me this year. 

GC3 well worth it. Just fix FSX Play. 

I think my chipping is getting much better from the sim.  Granted it was a pretty low bar for me to start but I’ve been working a lot on dialing in 10/20/30/40 yard pitch swings and playing the 6ft games.  Biggest issue on the course is how soggy the ground has been so turf interaction is not always ideal but when there’s not a bare muddy lie I’ve been pretty good.  Handicap down to 6.6 from 7.5 last season after 3 rounds.  It’s early yet but I can’t say enough about how much this has changed my game. 

• Like 3

On 5/1/2022 at 10:56 AM, LHGolf4 said:

To follow up on this, I took my BLP outside today and verified I was still disconnected from the house WiFi.  I hit 105 shots and the iPad never dropped connection, also as a bonus it seemed to pick up the ball very quickly as well as I never had any delays in it locating the ball.  So it looks like my weak WiFi signal from the house was an environmental factor causing my issues.  I will not make a victory lap just yet as I want to see it go through a few more sessions but I am very optimistic at this point.  This was the least frustrating practice session I have had since I bought it.

• Like 3

Hey folks,

I'm having a rough go with my BLP. I've had it for about a month now and it seems to be getting worse over time when it comes to swing detection. Sometimes I can get 30-40 swings, others I'm only able to string together 3-4 swings in a row before one of them goes completely undetected. I've gone through the ringer at Bushnell support, downgraded and tried both older firmware releases on the foresight website mentioned in this thread. I'm not sure what else I can do and support hasn't been any help. Any ideas or is this the same firmware thing that everyone is dealing with?

5 hours ago, TommieyB said:

Hey folks,

I'm having a rough go with my BLP. I've had it for about a month now and it seems to be getting worse over time when it comes to swing detection. Sometimes I can get 30-40 swings, others I'm only able to string together 3-4 swings in a row before one of them goes completely undetected. I've gone through the ringer at Bushnell support, downgraded and tried both older firmware releases on the foresight website mentioned in this thread. I'm not sure what else I can do and support hasn't been any help. Any ideas or is this the same firmware thing that everyone is dealing with?

Typically missed shots come from a few things.

The ball too close to the edge of the hitting zone

The BLP not on the same level as the hitting surface (obscuring the bottom camera)

The ball moved before impact and the unit is trying to lock on again as you hit (due to mat movement during the swing, ball moving, etc)

Background interference 

Using white range tees

Wearing shoes that reflect and impact the camera. 

Is this happening with all clubs? Just irons, just woods, wedges?

Those are something’s to look into for a fix. 

10 hours ago, TommieyB said:

Hey folks,

Inside or outside?

16 hours ago, No_Ugos said:

Typically missed shots come from a few things.

The ball too close to the edge of the hitting zone

The BLP not on the same level as the hitting surface (obscuring the bottom camera)

The ball moved before impact and the unit is trying to lock on again as you hit (due to mat movement during the swing, ball moving, etc)

Background interference 

Using white range tees

Wearing shoes that reflect and impact the camera. 

Is this happening with all clubs? Just irons, just woods, wedges?

Those are something’s to look into for a fix. 

Thank you for the response.

This happens all over the hitting zone.

BLP is on the same height as the hitting mat.

The mat moving during swing was my first thought, but over the last few weeks I've secured it to the floor and cant get it to budge at all.

Solid background that doesn't change.

Yellow/blue hitting mat tees

No reflective shoes- Dark color as well (learned from white shoes early on)

All clubs, chips, putts, irons and driver (makes me think its not the ball moving as well) 

Let me know if anything sticks out!

11 hours ago, kiddoc said:

Inside or outside?

Indoor- no outside light (garage) 

I've also tried 4 different lighting setups hoping one would help. Everything from direct overhead spot light to super harsh white LED lighting. 

Thanks again guys! I really appreciate the help and any idea is worth chasing down.

*** Update*** 

I had a quick break from work earlier and after reading back I saw there was a new 2020 update and I was on the older version. Not sure if this could have anything to do with it but I did download and install the newest version of 2020 for BLP. I'll update again tonight when I have time to try and play and see if that was the culprit! 

*** Update 2 *** 

No dice. Got two shots in before it fully stopped detecting swings or even the golf ball all together.

Edited by TommieyB

21 hours ago, TommieyB said:

Thank you for the response.

This happens all over the hitting zone.

BLP is on the same height as the hitting mat.

The mat moving during swing was my first thought, but over the last few weeks I've secured it to the floor and cant get it to budge at all.

Solid background that doesn't change.

Yellow/blue hitting mat tees

No reflective shoes- Dark color as well (learned from white shoes early on)

All clubs, chips, putts, irons and driver (makes me think its not the ball moving as well) 

Let me know if anything sticks out!

Indoor- no outside light (garage) 

I've also tried 4 different lighting setups hoping one would help. Everything from direct overhead spot light to super harsh white LED lighting. 

Thanks again guys! I really appreciate the help and any idea is worth chasing down.

*** Update*** 

I had a quick break from work earlier and after reading back I saw there was a new 2020 update and I was on the older version. Not sure if this could have anything to do with it but I did download and install the newest version of 2020 for BLP. I'll update again tonight when I have time to try and play and see if that was the culprit! 

*** Update 2 *** 

No dice. Got two shots in before it fully stopped detecting swings or even the golf ball all together.

Unit freezes up for me on newest firmware.  Roll back to 1.1.11.11 and see if your issues resolve with the new fsx2020 version you installed.

12 hours ago, kwettig said:

Unit freezes up for me on newest firmware.  Roll back to 1.1.11.11 and see if your issues resolve with the new fsx2020 version you installed.

Thank you! I rolled back to 1.1.11.11 and was able to get through a round with auto putt on! 

it missed 5-6 shots over the round but that's 1000% better than before!

** Update **

Tried round 2, missed 80% of the shots. No environmental changes 😕 I made it through 3 holes.

Edited by TommieyB
  • Like 1