Slighter vs. Cameron , Bettinardi

pegleg

Slighter owners? Quality, Feel, Durability?
I've read most of the threads on Slighter putters, and checked out the website. I'm interested. Can anyone compare them to retail Camerons or Bettinardis, as far as overall quality, feel, durability, etc?

I like the Studio Stainless and Studio Style Camerons the best of the retail lot.
I'm going to Bettinardi Studio B tomorrow (well, later today, actually...) for a fitting, might end up buying there.

Any input appreciated. Thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I'm concerned, they are comparable, from a final quality point of view. By this I mean that the workmanship and materials are comparable. I have 6 Camerons and love them all but where Tom Slighter shines is giving you EXACTLY what you want down to the stampings. You get this when you order the putter as opposed to sending it back to the custom shop. Even then they won't customize lie angles or weights. As it says on their website, Tom will try to honor any reasonable request. I'm not sure if I'll ever buy another "off the rack" putter.

As far as I'm concerned, they are comparable, from a final quality point of view. By this I mean that the workmanship and materials are comparable. I have 6 Camerons and love them all but where Tom Slighter shines is giving you EXACTLY what you want down to the stampings. You get this when you order the putter as opposed to sending it back to the custom shop. Even then they won't customize lie angles or weights. As it says on their website, Tom will try to honor any reasonable request. I'm not sure if I'll ever buy another "off the rack" putter.

I agree wholeheartedly with reebus. I have a couple Camerons, a couple Bettinardis (one of which I was fit for at their facility) and I just got a Slighter 3 weeks ago. The Slighter is every bit as good on every level and the fact that it was customized to my desires makes it even better. If you have an idea of what you need in terms of putter specs (weight, loft, lie, length, style, etc), you will be hard pressed to find a better answer at a comparable price. Tom can do what Cameron and Bettinardi won't do (unless you have a Tour card). And the fact that Tom is so accommodating makes it even easier. Probably the nicest guy I've never met in person. :)

I'm also very interested to hear what people have to say on this subject. I was actually jsut about to ask thea similar question later this evening. I've been talking with Tom about having a putter done, and I've been thrilled with his enthusiasm and attitude. I've got 5 Scotties already and a Bettinardi as well and when I look at them, all I see is the lead tape and other alterations I've made to them. However, and not to thread jack or anything, I've also been looking quite seriously at David Mills' tour samples because I've had good experiences with him in the past as well. So I guess, I'd like to know how Slighter compares to Bettinardi, Cameron and Mills' since I've never seen or putted with a Slighter personally.

I've read most of the threads on Slighter putters, and checked out the website. I'm interested. Can anyone compare them to retail Camerons or Bettinardis, as far as overall quality, feel, durability, etc?

I like the Studio Stainless and Studio Style Camerons the best of the retail lot.

I'm going to Bettinardi Studio B tomorrow (well, later today, actually...) for a fitting, might end up buying there.

Any input appreciated. Thanks

Durability can never be an issue b/c they are made out of the stainless steel. If you take care of all three, you should get the exact same results.

What you get with the Slighter is a completely custom putter made to your exact specifications for a price not much more then a retail Scotty. If you want a custom Scotty or Bettinardi, they are fabulous but you pay a steep price for the brand. Is that price worth it, only you can decide.

Tom Slighter is a magician when it comes to putters. I talked to him a few times since he is located only about 20 minutes from where i live, and not only are his putters of the finest quality, but he one of the nicest people, and will do anything to make sure you get exactly what you want. His putters are incredibly durable and extremely good feeling, plus they are totally one of a kind!

I will admit to being a little bit biased, but I think that the looks of the Bettinardi's are a good bit more refined than Slighter's putters. As a lefty, my choices are a little more limited, but my Slighter of choice would have DEFINITELY been the Bellevue, and I very probably would have one had it been option earlier this year. From the pictures, they just suit my eye. However, my BB18 is definitely a more finished product; more pronounced/actual bumpers, better transition to the topline, nicer heel profile. To be fair, I would prefer a site dot to the line in my putter, but that's just being nit-picky. Sure stampings are nice, but when it all comes down to it, all you see is the view from address when it really counts. Everything else is just window-dressing.

With all that said, I would definitely look into a Slighter Bellevue as a backup (the only thing I don't actually like about my putter is that it's so bloody rare/expensive) as I doubt I'll be taking it to fly the "Friendly Skies with Sticky Fingers." I do, however, look forward to reading your pending thread on your Studio B experience. I'd like to get out there sometime next year--schedule willing.

beruo

:hi:

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Slighter Tacoma putter refinished by Tom Slighter in 3x black and it has kicked out my SC Newport 2 Gun Blue and Newport 2 PP. I like the slimmer look of the Slighter and the feel is just real soft yet very solid. The SC Newport 2 is also a great putter in my opinion, I just have a real positive vibe about this Slighter.

I've used Cameron putters in the past and can speak ddirectly to their quality - top notch. Scotty Cameron putters are beautiful, well made, and about the bext you can walk into a store and buy. The problem with a Scotty Cameron is that you really need to be a tour pro to get a completely custom putter made. You can send existing putters into their shop for customization, but the options ar limited.

Bettinardi putters are tremendous also, and in this case, you can get a competely customized putter made for you - but only at their Studio in Chicago and from what i gather - this is quite pricey.

This leaves Slighter putters. I will trust those who have them regarding the quality and worksmanship of the putters. All 3 manufacturers produce a quality product...the difference here is Tom Slighter himself. I recently ordered a Tacoma and found him to be extremely cooperative, easy to work with, and just a heck of a guy. Aside from this, you have many styles to choose form and you can get basically whatever you want for significantly less than Cameron or Bettinardi custom options.

PING i25 9.5º Driver
PING G25 15º 3 Wood
PING G25 20º & 23º Hyrbids
PING G25 5-UW
Cleveland 588 RTG 56º and 60º
Odyssey ProType ix #1

Tom Slighter can make you a custom putter to your liking for a fraction of the cost of what Cameron or Bettinardi will charge you for a custom made. I have a couple of Tacoma's that Tom has made me in the past 6 months and I am very satisfied with his product. In fact, I have a third one in the works as we speak.

As for durability, as long as you take proper care of any putter, they should last a very long time. I prefer the feel of Slighter's product as opposed to SC or Bettinardi whether it be Retail or Tour.

Tom will charge you a minimal amount to make any adjustments on any putter he makes for you. As for me, he is charging me only $25 for refinishing and re-shaping the rear bumpers on my 1st Tacoma. Will scotyy or Bettinardi charge me the same low price? Hell no!! Tom has a lifetime customer in me because of his superior personalized service and the unsurpasssed quality of his product.

Don't forget David Mills. It appears he will do just about any customization you request - without owning a PGA tour card - from what I have read on this board.

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila UST V2
Golfsmith Jetstream 3W UST V2
Titleist 915H 3 Diamana

Titleist 915H 4 Diamana
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart
Titleist SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber
Cleveland HB 11S

SkyCaddie SX400