2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

St. Andrews, Carnoustie, Turnberry Advice

cardia10

I've posted here before, but fortunate to get selected to purchase practice round tickets to the Open in July. Most of our trip is booked but have a few questions. I'll give my itinerary then the questions.

July 4 Depart US

July 5 Land in Edinburgh, Hotel there and free day to relax

July 6 Drive Edinburgh to Carnoustie for early tee time. Thinking about late lunch in St. Andrews. What would be the chance of getting a late walk up tee time? The course doesn't show closed but it does say no ballot that day. We aren't set on more golf, but always open to it. Stay in Edinburgh night of the 6th.

July 7th Western Gailes

July 8 Gailes Links

July 9 Dundonald

July 10 Turnberry

July 11 Prestwick then drive to Edinburgh

July 12 Train to St Andrews for practice round then train back to Edinburgh

July 13 Free in Edinburgh

July 14 Fly Home

We are only booked for 18 per day to leave our options open. Don't want to book too much golf and be exhausted, Any short courses, 9 holers or pitch and putts near Troon that is a must for an easy afternoon round? I've heard the one at Turnberry is great! Any other food suggestions or things we have to do? Looks like we will have some long days to run around and will have a rental car so would love to know more! Thanks!

Edited by cardia10

I'm surprised the Old isn't closed to the public that close to the Open but I have to imagine the walk up line would be enormous so your chances would be very slim.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

4 hours ago, cardia10 said:

July 6 Drive Edinburgh to Carnoustie for early tee time. Thinking about late lunch in St. Andrews. What would be the chance of getting a late walk up tee time? The course doesn't show closed but it does say no ballot that day. We aren't set on more golf, but always open to it.

https://www.standrews.com/Play/Busy-dates/The-Open-2022-Course-Info-and-Closures

Don’t want to be the bad guy, but zero chance you can walk on TOC a week before The Open, however you probably could play at The Castle Course. (Which is my fav of the other St. Andrews courses) As far as Troon area goes, there aren’t many 9 holers, but there are several good courses that get overshadowed by their more famous neighbors. I’ll post links below, but Prestwick St. Nicholas is a good Old Tom design with great seas views. If you’re not beat up enough after playing Troon, go play the Darley course at St. Meddans… Of course you also have the other course (Portland) at Troon. Going to be a great trip do enjoy. You’ll have plenty of sunlight to play as much golf as you want.

https://www.prestwickstnicholas.com/

https://troonstmeddansgolfclub.com/

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

58 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Don’t want to be the bad guy, but zero chance you can walk on TOC a week before The Open, however you probably could play at The Castle Course. (Which is my fav of the other St. Andrews courses) As far as Troon area goes, there aren’t many 9 holers, but there are several good courses that get overshadowed by their more famous neighbors. I’ll post links below, but Prestwick St. Nicholas is a good Old Tom design with great seas views. If you’re not beat up enough after playing Troon, go play the Darley course at St. Meddans… Of course you also have the other course (Portland) at Troon. Going to be a great trip do enjoy. You’ll have plenty of sunlight to play as much golf as you want.

https://www.prestwickstnicholas.com/

https://troonstmeddansgolfclub.com/

Any opinions on King Robert the Bruce at Turnberry? Looks like St Andrews is out for sure, but may still have a late lunch and buy merchandise so we don't have to mess with it the next week. We can be those goofy people roaming around where we shouldn't and taking pictures.

46 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

Any opinions on King Robert the Bruce at Turnberry? Looks like St Andrews is out for sure, but may still have a late lunch and buy merchandise so we don't have to mess with it the next week. We can be those goofy people roaming around where we shouldn't and taking pictures.

I have not been back to Turnberry since the redesign. We only played the Ailsa course, but one thing you can count on when playing a DT course is that it will be in perfect condition. The reviews from people I know who have played it say it’s really good and would be higher rated if it wasn’t on the same property as the Ailsa. We played Doonbeg in October and it was immaculate and we all enjoyed it. 

https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/trump-turnberry-king-robert-the-bruce

19 hours ago, cardia10 said:

I've posted here before, but fortunate to get selected to purchase practice round tickets to the Open in July. Most of our trip is booked but have a few questions. I'll give my itinerary then the questions.

July 4 Depart US

July 6 Drive Edinburgh to Carnoustie for early tee time. Thinking about late lunch in St. Andrews. What would be the chance of getting a late walk up tee time? The course doesn't show closed but it does say no ballot that day. We aren't set on more golf, but always open to it. Stay in Edinburgh night of the 6th.

July 7th Western Gailes

July 8 Gailes Links

July 9 Dundonald

July 10 Turnberry

July 14 Fly Home

We are only booked for 18 per day to leave our options open. Don't want to book too much golf and be exhausted, Any short courses, 9 holers or pitch and putts near Troon that is a must for an easy afternoon round? I've heard the one at Turnberry is great! Any other food suggestions or things we have to do? Looks like we will have some long days to run around and will have a rental car so would love to know more! Thanks!

The Hillhouse 9 at Kilmarnock Barassie is pretty good for evening stroll. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 7:39 AM, Hawkeye77 said:

Can't get on Royal Troon?

We really enjoyed West Kilbride.

This little gem is right off the sea in Troon!

9445796D-F7CC-4195-B197-DCF801BE3C9F_1_201_a.jpeg

Nope, Troon was full when we tried. It is about the only thing that we wanted that we didn’t get. Always a good excuse to go back! Likely try to based our next trip out of St Andrews to make travel easier.

Edited by cardia10
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2022 at 3:35 PM, cardia10 said:

July 4 Depart US

July 7th Western Gailes

July 8 Gailes Links

July 9 Dundonald

July 10 Turnberry

July 14 Fly Home

Are you guys a foursome?  If so that makes it harder to get an entire tee time. I'd maybe skip the west and go to courses in Fife and then down to East Lothian.

Fife - New, Castle, you have Carnoustie already, Kingsbarns (which I like, but pricey), Dumbarnie (haven't played yet), Crail Balcomie.

East Lothian - Will be awesome!  Muirfield (sold out I'm positive sorry.), North Berwick (I think sold out as well), Archerfield 2 courses, Dunbar, Gullane 1-3, Kilspindie, some other great ones which are old and reasonable. Renaissance is also private, but amenable to visitors at a price.

Not nearly as much good golf in Edinburgh, it is Fife and East Lothian to see.

48 minutes ago, Schley said:

Are you guys a foursome?  If so that makes it harder to get an entire tee time. I'd maybe skip the west and go to courses in Fife and then down to East Lothian.

Fife - New, Castle, you have Carnoustie already, Kingsbarns (which I like, but pricey), Dumbarnie (haven't played yet), Crail Balcomie.

East Lothian - Will be awesome!  Muirfield (sold out I'm positive sorry.), North Berwick (I think sold out as well), Archerfield 2 courses, Dunbar, Gullane 1-3, Kilspindie, some other great ones which are old and reasonable. Renaissance is also private, but amenable to visitors at a price.

Not nearly as much good golf in Edinburgh, it is Fife and East Lothian to see.

We are a foursome but we already have booked, paid for and confirmed. Also hotels are all booked. The only possibility we have now is afternoon after Carnoustie, but I think we may just roam around St Andrews that afternoon, or the 13th which is a full free day before we depart. We may be set with 6 rounds but we are always up for a good round before we head home. 

5 hours ago, cardia10 said:

We are a foursome but we already have booked, paid for and confirmed. Also hotels are all booked. The only possibility we have now is afternoon after Carnoustie, but I think we may just roam around St Andrews that afternoon, or the 13th which is a full free day before we depart. We may be set with 6 rounds but we are always up for a good round before we head home. 

Just in case you’re looking for a round after Carnoustie you have two really good options very close. Panmure is great and Monifieth is also a good one.

https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/panmure

https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/monifieth-medal

25 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Just in case you’re looking for a round after Carnoustie you have two really good options very close. Panmure is great and Monifieth is also a good one.

https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/panmure

https://www.top100golfcourses.com/golf-course/monifieth-medal

Panmure was on the radar for sure. I think that was where Hogan practiced before his win at Carnoustie. I guess it is good that most of our trip should get easier after Carnoustie!

Am I the only one to say the Old Course is closed; Saturday 18th June to Monday 18th July inclusive.

The little chipping thing infant of Turnberry looks poop if you are a real golfer. the second course is a proper course. Turnberry to me is the best course in Scotland; not hard but just so nice.

Most of the others I have no experience. St Andrews is going to be stupid busy; I have a property there and it is yet to be rented out for the week or so but wow there is stupid demand, I can imagine the restaurants will be a killer to get in to without months ahead bookings! I definitely wouldn't try golf there near the Open, pick somewhere else and go; where there are so many options but again I have no idea availability as everyone is catching up bookings!

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

31 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

Panmure was on the radar for sure. I think that was where Hogan practiced before his win at Carnoustie. I guess it is good that most of our trip should get easier after Carnoustie!

Yes that is correct. Lots of Hogan history there. I’ll be honest, I know Carnoustie gets the rep for being brutally hard, but it’s not much tougher than other venues. The last 4 are all tough holes, but the rest isn’t that bad. Greens are pretty flat and fairways wide enough. If you catch it on a good day it can be had. I’m a 3hdcp and shot 77 last time and bogeyed 4 of the last 5 holes. 

34 minutes ago, scott_Donald said:

Am I the only one to say the Old Course is closed; Saturday 18th June to Monday 18th July inclusive.

The little chipping thing infant of Turnberry looks poop if you are a real golfer. the second course is a proper course. Turnberry to me is the best course in Scotland; not hard but just so nice.

Most of the others I have no experience. St Andrews is going to be stupid busy; I have a property there and it is yet to be rented out for the week or so but wow there is stupid demand, I can imagine the restaurants will be a killer to get in to without months ahead bookings! I definitely wouldn't try golf there near the Open, pick somewhere else and go; where there are so many options but again I have no idea availability as everyone is catching up bookings!

I agree with Turnberry, definitely one of my favorite courses in Scotland. Obviously the owner is very controversial but I’ve played 4 of his courses they are fantastic. I haven’t been able to get back since the remodel, but by seeing pics it seems its become even better. Sad that it will probably never host an Open again as long as he owns it. 

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, cardia10 said:

You could stay at Carnoustie and play the Burnside. It's a good course and saves the hassle of travel between rounds. There might even be a 36 hole deal.