Playing the English Top 100

Of the choices provided I personally would pick
Beau Desert over Little Aston (It's a 50/50 split with these two)

St Enodoc over Burnham and Berrow (I grew up playing B&B but St Enodoc is special)

Seacroft over Woodhall Spa (Personally I just find Seacorft a more enjoyable and interesting course)

Welshpool over Llanymynech (Just a better course)

Cleeve Hill over Painswick (I got my first ace at Painswick and it;s a very interesting course but Cleeve Hill is a wonderful rustic round of golf with some great views)

Purbeck or Stoneham (Can't help as not played either)

On 9/22/2022 at 1:01 AM, El Gringo said:

Chanceman, I have heard the Old Ford greens were a bit ropey this summer. You may want to call the club and see what's up. 

If Old Fold Manor is not in good condition you could consider the Seve designed "The Shire" which is about 2 miles down the round. 

I played it a few weeks ago and it's a great round of golf and was in superb condition. Old Fold Manor is a great course also so either will be a great day out.  

• 3 weeks later...

Does Swinley, St George’s Hill, Royal St George, Walton Heath, Royal Birkdale, or Royal Liverpool offer Sunday tee times if you make accommodations at their lodging?  

I know that you can make a Sunday tee time at Royal Lytham if you stay at the Dormy House.  Curious if any of the others have similar packages.

Driver: 10* Titleist TSi3 w/Ventus Black 6

3-Wood: 15* Titleist TSi2 w/Ventus Blue 8

5-Wood: 18* Titleist TSi2 w/Ventus Blue 8

Hybrid: 21* Titleist 818H2 w/Graphite Design HY-95

Irons (3-P): Titleist 2021 T100 w/KBS Tour

Wedges (50*, 54*, 60*): Vokey WedgeWorks SM8 w/KBS Tour

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 9.5 Triple Black

**14-club set-up course/conditions dependent

4 hours ago, swo83 said:

Does Swinley, St George’s Hill, Royal St George, Walton Heath, Royal Birkdale, or Royal Liverpool offer Sunday tee times if you make accommodations at their lodging?  

I know that you can make a Sunday tee time at Royal Lytham if you stay at the Dormy House.  Curious if any of the others have similar packages.

Except for Sandwich and Lytham, I didn't know any of these clubs had accommodation. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Oh Hi Carl said:

Of the courses in the top 100 list, how many can an average person play without having a member of the royal family call ahead for you?  I believe it's easier to get on the best courses in the UK that are private clubs than it is in the US, but please correct me if I'm wrong.  

You are not wrong. The vast majority of the English top 100 are open to visitors at certain times. They are much more accessible than U.S. clubs. That's true across the UK and Ireland. There are only a small handful of top 100 English clubs that do not allow unaccompanied visitor play (e.g. JCB and Bearwood Lakes ). However, visitor tee times at top clubs are very expensive.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, thecumbrian said:

As a Silloth on Solway member I can say that not all top 100 courses are difficult to get on or expensive to play.

Visitor green fee this year was £70 for the day midweek, go round as many times as you like....

We probably fly under the radar with overseas visitors who expect to pay £300 for a top course.

We are both a top course and fantastic value, just a little out of the way.

Thank you for the information.  I just looked the course up on the Google.  It looks like an absolutely fantastic location.  I would feel very fortunate to visit and play there. 

• 6 months later...

Had the good fortune of playing Sherwood Forest last week. Just such a beautiful course, could easily see myself playing there regularly without getting bored. 

Had a great back 9 but not so good on the first 5.

Takes me up to 19 on the English top 100 with Copt Heath being my 20th due for play on Wednesday! 

20230525_163021.jpg

20230525_230812.jpg

• Like 3

On 5/29/2023 at 11:44 PM, El Gringo said:

Sherwood is a cracker👍

Damn! I wanted to play Sherwood Forest rather than Seacroft on our September trip but no spots on Saturday.

As it is we will be playing Nos 8,9,10,11,12,13 from the Top 100 Courses so pretty happy. That will take my personal tally to 26 of the top 100 in England.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chanceman said:

Damn! I wanted to play Sherwood Forest rather than Seacroft on our September trip but no spots on Saturday.

As it is we will be playing Nos 8,9,10,11,12,13 from the Top 100 Courses so pretty happy. That will take my personal tally to 26 of the top 100 in England.

Seacroft is no hardship. Really good course 

On 11/9/2022 at 2:14 AM, thecumbrian said:

As a Silloth on Solway member I can say that not all top 100 courses are difficult to get on or expensive to play.

Visitor green fee this year was £70 for the day midweek, go round as many times as you like....

We probably fly under the radar with overseas visitors who expect to pay £300 for a top course.

We are both a top course and fantastic value, just a little out of the way.

Played Silloth on Solway a month ago ( have played it many times as a visitor) Splendid very old links (Willie Park) course and well deserving of its place in England’s top courses - super welcoming club - and great test of links golf - amazing value and can play tough as nails when the wind blows! When in the area don’t overlook Brampton GC ( James Braid hilly Parkland) - or Seascale! Good luck with your top 100 venture

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Been wanting to go play Seaton Carew for some time and went last week. 

Was worth the long drive to go see this little beauty surrounded by huge industrial factories. At times it felt like I was playing amongst a Star Wars battle site. Could well be the most industrial place I've ever been but I loved that aspect of it. 

Thoroughly enjoyed the course, a really fun test into the wind and with the wind behind coming back. 

My first time playing a top 100 by myself and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I may try do some more like that but I know some courses don't allow singles. 

Would go again! 

20230630_160012.jpg

20230630_163715.jpg

Edited by Frank_Kasule
Added pictures
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/2/2023 at 5:51 AM, El Gringo said:

If ya make it to Silloth, it's a good call to make time for Seascale....punches well above it's weight. 

Appleby, just down the M6 is a delight...highly recommended. 

Booked in for the end of September to play Seascale, Silloth and Appleby. Super excited and can't believe the value for money! 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 12:45 PM, Frank_Kasule said:

Booked in for the end of September to play Seascale, Silloth and Appleby. Super excited and can't believe the value for money! 

I know it’s not in England but if you are up to Carlisle anyway could also consider Southerness GC - around 30 miles inside Bonnie Scotland and directly opposite Silloth on the Solway Firth - McKenzie Ross design - super old style links although it is 1947 I think. Also rates near the top of the value for money golf in my book

Edited by AltC

20 hours ago, AltC said:

I know it’s not in England but if you are up to Carlisle anyway could also consider Southerness GC - around 30 miles inside Bonnie Scotland and directly opposite Silloth on the Solway Firth - McKenzie Ross design - super old style links although it is 1947 I think. Also rates near the top of the value for money golf in my book

Would love to but I don't think we have enough time sadly! 

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 5:28 PM, Frank_Kasule said:

On the Top 100 golf courses website you can record and review all the courses you've played. This got me thinking about how cool it would be to complete the English top 100. I decided upon the English top 100 because I live here and its a hell of a lot more possible than the world top 100. Would like to do the GB&I top 100 but not so easy to get away for multiple golf holidays. 

I imagine it will take many years but it's a fun quest and a fairly unique thing to do in golf as opposed to other sports. 

The only issue is that there is some variance between different lists at the bottom end of which golf courses make the list. The Top 100 list is a bit outdated as it is from 2019 whilst the Golf Monthly and NCG top 100s are from 2022. Anyway will see what I play and will probably play more than just one lists top 100.

These are the ones I've already played on the Top 100 Golf Courses list;

Royal St George's (1)
Sunningdale New (4) 

Swinley Forest (5)

Woodhall Spa (7)
West Sussex (11)
Berkshire Red (22)
Woking (27)
Berkshire Blue (36)
Royal Ashdown Forest (39)

Beau Desert (55)

The Addington (58)
Royal Wimbledon (82)

In addition to this I've played Luffenham Heath which is 96th on the NCG100. Hopefully it'll be in the next edition of the Top 100 Golf Courses list. 

Scheduled for this year already is the 27 holes at St George's Hill and a round at Ganton. 

Now that I've decided to try and do this ideally I would like to play more courses each year. So was hoping to try get on at Fulford and Alwoodley and possibly one more at least to get started this year. 

So I was wondering if anyone else has taken on a similar quest? 

Do you have any advice or anything you wish you had known from the beginning etc? All advice, thoughts and comments welcome. 

Eternal vigilance, even in those posh private golf clubs ... Iona Stephen has just reported having had her car stolen at the Belfry (including her beloved circle T 'forever putter').

Wouldn’t describe The Belfry as posh or private -especially the car park with a hotel and nightclub adjacent- but still shocking that Iona got her car stolen there - lots of people and cctv - anyway glad she got her putter back. It’s a sad day when someone knicks your car then throws your clubs out in a ditch - probably the local feral youth just looking for a joyride car! Chin up Iona a car is just metal - you can get it replaced on insurance - but still a shock to the system.

• Like 2

On 8/13/2023 at 12:45 PM, Frank_Kasule said:

Frank I trust you will enjoy a spectacular Cumbrian welcome at all these clubs - these clubs are super welcoming and epitomise all that is good about UK golf off the beaten path. Hope you have a great trip - look forward to your feedback on how it went.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...