First Beginner Tournament

Hey folks!

I have a 5 year old boy that is going to play in his first beginner golf tournament in April.  I guess it will be a par 3 course. 

anyways…I could really use some solid tips for my wife and I to make the day really fun and enjoyable for him. Not that they matter much but I really want him to learn more about the rules but have fun at the same time. 

they won’t be keeping score or giving out any prizes but it’s a 10 shot max per hole. I will be holding myself in check and just give him the freedom to go play with no pressure and whatever happens, happens.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Ballcoach35

• Ballcoach35 changed the title to First Beginner Tournament
10 hours ago, wildcatden said:

1. Have a pre-round 3 hour practice routine. Grind it out. It must be perfect!!

2. Eat a high carb meal the night before. Gotta have enough energy for 9 holes.

3. Play at least 2-3 practice rounds and buy a $50 yardage book.

4. Must have new golf hat, golf shoes, golf glove and total golf outfit. Need to look good for the college scouts.

5. Get an Instagram account setup now for future marketing dollars to be made.

6. Make it all about winning.

7. Be sure to criticize them in the car ride home on the shots that didn't go as well.

However, in reality you MUST ignore all of the above and just have a good time. If you can't do that, you've already lost.

I actually thought about 4. Not to look good for scouts but so he’s be excited to wear his new clothes. He loves wearing his uniforms on game day. Gets it honest. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ballcoach35 said:

I will watch but care to give me the short version?

Short Game (Movie/Documentary) -  Fairly decent. There are definitely a few cringe moments.

Short Game TV Series (came after the movie) -  Cringe city. Here is a user review of the TV series:

image.png.8b61bc178ed2613f84bc9495fdd2d80e.png

• Like 1

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

15 minutes ago, wildcatden said:

Short Game (Movie/Documentary) -  Fairly decent. There are definitely a few cringe moments.

Short Game TV Series (came after the movie) -  Cringe city. Here is a user review of the TV series:

image.png.8b61bc178ed2613f84bc9495fdd2d80e.png

I see…we aren’t trying to play in the LLWS of golf. I was a HS football coach for 8 years and I know what those parents are like. Not saying I won’t be one, but until they hit middle or high school, we won’t be taking it seriously as far as being competitive. I plan to start getting them lessons in the next 2-3 years if they still want to play. I really just want to give my boys a taste and hope they keep coming back.

2 hours ago, Ballcoach35 said:

I see…we aren’t trying to play in the LLWS of golf. I was a HS football coach for 8 years and I know what those parents are like. Not saying I won’t be one, but until they hit middle or high school, we won’t be taking it seriously as far as being competitive. I plan to start getting them lessons in the next 2-3 years if they still want to play. I really just want to give my boys a taste and hope they keep coming back.

At age 5, you don't "need a taste" of tournament golf.  If you want to expose them to golf, just take them on the course with you and drop a ball  short of the green and have them play from there.

There is a good on course developmental program outlined here that you can follow. Basically, don't move up a division until they can shoot 36 from the distance a few times.

https://operation36.golf/juniors/

image.png.3205197a7deaf835de183e757f9c029b.png

To be transparent, my kid started at a golf academy when he was 5 years old. The academy had instructions for beginner kids and around 8-12 kids in the class. Most of the class was either putting or chipping games (ie. competitions for fun). We did this once/week for about a year at the class. In addition, we went to the course for more putting and chipping when he wanted to do so.  Later on in the first year (maybe 6+ months in), we started hitting clubs on the range.  At that time, we also took a handful of private lessons from one of the instructors in the academy. After that year, we played our 1st US Kids Golf event at 6.5 years old.

If they have golf skills, they develop pretty quickly. It's more important that they love doing it at this age.

• Like 1

It's no fun when the rabbit's got the gun.

2 hours ago, Ballcoach35 said:

I coached basketball for 10 years.  The realm of junior golf is worse.

• Like 1

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

12 minutes ago, wildcatden said:

At age 5, you don't "need a taste" of tournament golf.  If you want to expose them to golf, just take them on the course with you and drop a ball  short of the green and have them play from there.

There is a good on course developmental program outlined here that you can follow. Basically, don't move up a division until they can shoot 36 from the distance a few times.

https://operation36.golf/juniors/

image.png.3205197a7deaf835de183e757f9c029b.png

To be transparent, my kid started at a golf academy when he was 5 years old. The academy had instructions for beginner kids and around 8-12 kids in the class. Most of the class was either putting or chipping games (ie. competitions for fun). We did this once/week for about a year at the class. In addition, we went to the course for more putting and chipping when he wanted to do so.  Later on in the first year (maybe 6+ months in), we started hitting clubs on the range.  At that time, we also took a handful of private lessons from one of the instructors in the academy. After that year, we played our 1st US Kids Golf event at 6.5 years old.

If they have golf skills, they develop pretty quickly. It's more important that they love doing it at this age.

This^^^^

My son played golf at 5.  I kept him away from tournament golf until 8.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

My wife said to take lots of photos because in ten years they won’t want you there and when you end up at a US Kids regional event pay for the professional photos. 

Wise words. I was so absorbed in "helping" my daughter shoot good scores. In the 2 years of playing US Kids, I did not have a single picture of her at the tournaments. Definitely looking forward to changing this. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

My wife said to take lots of photos because in ten years they won’t want you there and when you end up at a US Kids regional event pay for the professional photos. 

25 minutes ago, Medson said:

Wise words. I was so absorbed in "helping" my daughter shoot good scores. In the 2 years of playing US Kids, I did not have a single picture of her at the tournaments. Definitely looking forward to changing this. 

It's definitely tough to be a caddy and photographer, but it can be done. 

Obviously, using your smartphone to take pics is the easiest... great for candid, not so great for action.

Using a traditional DSLR, or even a bridge camera, can be ridiculous to wield in addition to being on the bag.

A mirrorless setup like an Sony a5100, a6000 (or any of the versions released after) is great because it is so light and unobtrusive.  Even at that, it is still one more thing slung around your neck for 3-4 hours.

Ideally, a grandparent or second parent who isn't on the bag can shoot using the camera of their choice.  Being on the bag and shooting is hard.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MikekiM said:

Only thing I would probably add would be to just make sure no one gets hurt.  Watch out of kids swinging clubs, and keep an eye out for balls flying in weird directions. Keep it fun, just make sure to stay behind the people hitting the balls, and away from kids swinging clubs.

Or away from kids that drive golf carts over other kids legs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

4 minutes ago, leezer99 said:

Or away from kids that drive golf carts over other kids legs. 

I heard about a kid in California that did this.  The dad is a scumbag and tried to let Grandma take the blame.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, MB19 said:

It's definitely tough to be a caddy and photographer, but it can be done. 

Obviously, using your smartphone to take pics is the easiest... great for candid, not so great for action.

Using a traditional DSLR, or even a bridge camera, can be ridiculous to wield in addition to being on the bag.

A mirrorless setup like an Sony a5100, a6000 (or any of the versions released after) is great because it is so light and unobtrusive.  Even at that, it is still one more thing slung around your neck for 3-4 hours.

Ideally, a grandparent or second parent who isn't on the bag can shoot using the camera of their choice.  Being on the bag and shooting is hard.

technically using your phone is against USKG and strokes could be called. Our director will DQ for using it. 

• Like 2