"$50 Autoflex" Anyone try this?

mosesgolf

On 10/23/2022 at 7:07 PM, SEP1006 said:

Okay guys, after playing 36 holes both Saturday and Sunday with the Riptide 4.0L 40 gram shaft I can honestly say it produces pretty much the same results as my Autoflex 505. Not quite sure how I feel about this but it is what it is. 

For reference I am 65 and in great physical shape. SS with a driver averages around 95ish and my HCP hovers around 6 most the time.

What do you weight the head at?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JDIL said:

What do you weight the head at?

here is his quote from this thread:  "My SS with a drivers is 95ish. I have gotten my best results by far using the Autoflex with a driver head weight of 206 grams. Which I think puts it close to D4 or D5 swing weight. I play my driver at 45" also."

Just now, Clifford said:

here is his quote from this thread:  "My SS with a drivers is 95ish. I have gotten my best results by far using the Autoflex with a driver head weight of 206 grams. Which I think puts it close to D4 or D5 swing weight. I play my driver at 45" also."

Gotcha, somehow missed that in my excitement to run over to Ebay. 

Just a senior\A flex tipped 1" works as well as, if not better than this mega money low launch\low spin shafts?

• Like 1

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

• 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Honeybadger said:

Adam, 

Do you think a lower spin head (g425 LST) would work better with the Otto Phlex? 
thanks

We didn't see a lot of spin jump when moving between the shafts with the tests I've done, given the first test was with MSG and we only were using these softer shafts.

When I did another test on my Elite Fit Golf YT channel, between a low launch 70g x flex and the Motore X, didn't see much difference in spin even though the launch angle went up. I think he was making higher face contact with the Motore to get those results. 

All that said, I think if you normally get along better with a low spin head, that is what I would go with for this setup as well. If it's going to work, it really comes down to just getting used to the lighter more flexible shaft feel.

• Thanks 1

On 10/2/2022 at 9:09 AM, Adam C said:

Yes, I think that combo can work. The main idea is really about getting something at least 10g lighter than what you currently use and 2 flexes softer. The exact bend profile is less important as long as it's not some sort of super low launch style shaft.

Heck, that said, you could still even use a low/low type of shaft if you match the weight and flex up and get similar results. Just might not feel exactly like Autoflex.

There is no magic in the Autoflex. Get a lighter, softer shaft, throw in a lighter head weight to drop the swing weight, and there you go.

Based on the above, I am buying the senior version of my current (extremely - $16) budget shaft. It is 14 grams lighter and two flexes softer. I also have multiple cobra head weights that I can swap in and out. Does the mid kick point in these shafts matter?

So I would be going from this:

image.png.e62d6b27e4d48745bde90277e2b94945.png

To this:

image.png.301b259a4c25350b8ae3c3cde2c079c1.png

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW - FST 125 (S) -- auditioning Fujikura Axiom 130X

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* 1*flat - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60* 1*flat  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

16 hours ago, vandyfan said:

Based on the above, I am buying the senior version of my current (extremely - $16) budget shaft. It is 14 grams lighter and two flexes softer. I also have multiple cobra head weights that I can swap in and out. Does the mid kick point in these shafts matter?

So I would be going from this:

image.png.e62d6b27e4d48745bde90277e2b94945.png

To this:

image.png.301b259a4c25350b8ae3c3cde2c079c1.png

I think the bend profile is probably the least important part of the equation, though most of the shafts I have paired or heard others using were in the mid bend profile, full disclosure. Think it's really about the weight and flex drop. If you play a low launch and wanted to use the same idea, I think it still works with a low launch profile as long as the weight and flex criteria are met.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Did a test of my standard setup (Cobra Radspeed Xb 10.5 degree stiff shaft with 12g weight in back) vs using Cobra Radspeed Xb 10.5 with senior shaft (ust helium 50g) with the back weight removed. Results were surprisingly….similar. The senior shaft “felt” way better which I didn’t expect. I liked it enough the I ordered a grafalloy prolaunch blue in senior flex to actually play with. Even if it yields the same results, it just feels effortless to release through the ball.

B0E06B34-8A30-4814-A7FC-CBDFB13DF411.jpeg

46CF4BB5-DA1A-43F5-9DA6-349BB3625492.jpeg

EF08B2F6-DA30-49DD-8482-28651D7B698B.jpeg

Edited by vandyfan
  • Like 1

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I keep coming back to this topic - just can't help myself!

Currently playing a Ping G425 in a Tensei CK Pro Orange 60 in stiff flex. 

Was checking out the Value Golf website and am considering the Prolaunch Blue for $59.99  in Senior flex (44 grams) or the Apollo Featherlight (45 grams) for $19.99 in senior flex.

Can't decide if the Prolaunch is worth the extra thirty bucks for the experiment though.

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

On 11/20/2022 at 7:12 AM, Davethegolfer said:

I played 9 holes with the Ping G430 Max HL - 10.5 loft with 45 gram soft regular shaft. Better results than my Ventus Black 6S- it was nuts. So easy to swing

That was my main takeaway, just a really free flowing swing with the softer shaft. And, for the most part, same dispersion which was crazy to me. I did find that spin and launch kicked up so I took the back weight out of my driver head AND cranked the loft down. 

On 11/20/2022 at 11:36 AM, vernon said:

Was checking out the Value Golf website and am considering the Prolaunch Blue for $59.99  in Senior flex (44 grams) or the Apollo Featherlight (45 grams) for $19.99 in senior flex.

I ordered a ProLaunch Blue because the profile seemed more similar to the autoflex. I can report back on this thread as my "testing" was with a more expensive UST Helium Nanocore shaft. Will be interested to see if it is truly just the feel of a softer shaft or if the profile really matters. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

On 11/21/2022 at 12:25 PM, vandyfan said:

That was my main takeaway, just a really free flowing swing with the softer shaft. And, for the most part, same dispersion which was crazy to me. I did find that spin and launch kicked up so I took the back weight out of my driver head AND cranked the loft down. 

I ordered a ProLaunch Blue because the profile seemed more similar to the autoflex. I can report back on this thread as my "testing" was with a more expensive UST Helium Nanocore shaft. Will be interested to see if it is truly just the feel of a softer shaft or if the profile really matters. 

Look forward to hearing how it goes.  Leaning towards the ProLaunch for the same reason and it is only another thirty bucks.

But then my mama always said, "Thirty bucks is thirty bucks." so........

Really intrigued by all of this.  I think tomorrow I'll try hitting my wife's Ping G LE with ultralight shaft.  The head is completely different from my G425 but it's a start!

Edited by vernon
Error

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Very interesting reading all the comments. I haven't tried this experiment but would definitely like to. 

What I noticed though is that everyone reporting how easy it is to swing the budget shaft effortlessly and get good results. The shaft fitting principle I have been going with is that the shaft should be the softest you can control. I mean we can pretty much all swing an A flex shaft effortlessly and be amazed how far the ball goes. Softer shaft is easier to get that whip effect and in turn higher club head speed. It's when you go for the higher gear, the shaft gets overpowered and you start to spray it high and right or snap hook.

Has anyone tried to swing these modified shaft as hard as you can and what kind result do you get? 

PXG SD 58*

11 hours ago, mister2cool said:

It's when you go for the higher gear, the shaft gets overpowered and you start to spray it high and right or snap hook.

For me, I don't often swing out of my shoes on the golf course. I play fairly conservative golf. My swing speed, on course, is around 103-104 mph. So, for me, anything over 109 mph is swinging pretty hard. I touched 111 mph a few times with the senior shaft which I can't remember ever doing before on Trackman. If I hide everything that is under 109, my dispersion looks like this:

image.png.511deaa14919e9c288dc1771da4cc246.png

Mostly off to the right, and here is the dispersion with ALL my shots (I had a HUGE dispersion when I turned down the loft on my driver to try to offset the higher launch which is the light blue dots...it is a 100 yds between my left most miss and right most miss:

image.png.ac9cee2596ecd095b54ed2424a33581f.png

And finally, just to level set, my standard setup (stiff shaft) dispersion:

image.png.d442b1a903d65461e84fa2a4a78d46f7.png

So for me, when I stepped on it, I kind of gave me a one way miss out to the right. But I think that is more down to poor sequencing but not significantly worse that my standard dispersion with a stiff shaft. YMMV. 

• Like 2

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

11 hours ago, mister2cool said:

Very interesting reading all the comments. I haven't tried this experiment but would definitely like to. 

What I noticed though is that everyone reporting how easy it is to swing the budget shaft effortlessly and get good results. The shaft fitting principle I have been going with is that the shaft should be the softest you can control. I mean we can pretty much all swing an A flex shaft effortlessly and be amazed how far the ball goes. Softer shaft is easier to get that whip effect and in turn higher club head speed. It's when you go for the higher gear, the shaft gets overpowered and you start to spray it high and right or snap hook.

Has anyone tried to swing these modified shaft as hard as you can and what kind result do you get? 

You asked a great question. I posted earlier in this thread about the Evenflow CB 4.0 40 gram ladies flex producing ALMOST identical results as my Autoflex. 

Well the main difference was just what you asked. When I really go after it with the AF i can get another 10 yards typically.

When I went after it hard with the Evenflow I got a big slice.

• Like 3

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra Shaft

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

4 hours ago, vandyfan said:

For me, I don't often swing out of my shoes on the golf course. I play fairly conservative golf. My swing speed, on course, is around 103-104 mph. So, for me, anything over 109 mph is swinging pretty hard. I touched 111 mph a few times with the senior shaft which I can't remember ever doing before on Trackman. If I hide everything that is under 109, my dispersion looks like this:

image.png.511deaa14919e9c288dc1771da4cc246.png

Mostly off to the right, and here is the dispersion with ALL my shots (I had a HUGE dispersion when I turned down the loft on my driver to try to offset the higher launch which is the light blue dots...it is a 100 yds between my left most miss and right most miss:

image.png.ac9cee2596ecd095b54ed2424a33581f.png

And finally, just to level set, my standard setup (stiff shaft) dispersion:

image.png.d442b1a903d65461e84fa2a4a78d46f7.png

So for me, when I stepped on it, I kind of gave me a one way miss out to the right. But I think that is more down to poor sequencing but not significantly worse that my standard dispersion with a stiff shaft. YMMV. 

This is very interesting. For a 50g senior shaft at SS over 105, it's already a miracle that the ball is not completely off the chart to the right. 🤔 The one way miss when you step on it may not be of your sequencing at all. I mean it's really what I would have expected to see when a shaft is overpowered. What loft did you turn it down to? 

4 hours ago, SEP1006 said:

You asked a great question. I posted earlier in this thread about the Evenflow CB 4.0 40 gram ladies flex producing ALMOST identical results as my Autoflex. 

Well the main difference was just what you asked. When I really go after it with the AF i can get another 10 yards typically.

When I went after it hard with the Evenflow I got a big slice.

That's kind what I would expect to see, in theory at least. 

PXG SD 58*

36 minutes ago, mister2cool said:

What loft did you turn it down to? 

I am using a Radspeed XB head that is standard loft at 10.5* which I turned it down to 9.5*. So not crazy low by any means. 

36 minutes ago, mister2cool said:

it's already a miracle that the ball is not completely off the chart to the right.

What's interesting (and maybe it is obvious), it feels much easier to turn one over with the softer shaft. Especially at my standard tempo. 

Edited by vandyfan

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I read about the Otto Phlex experiment on another forum and watched the Mr. Short Game video.  Being very intrigued and a tinkerer, I purchased a Fuji Air Speeder 45 in regular flex for $60 to experiment with in my Ping G425 Max driver.  This led to the purchase of a used PXG 0311XF driver with a Project X EvenFlow RipTide CB 40 5.0 shaft and another Fuji Air Speeder 45 in senior flex.  Then I couldn't resist and picked up a like new PXG Gen 4 3 wood for $103.  So now I have a backup driver and 3 wood as listed below.

Ping G425 Max 9° Ventus Velocore Blue 5S 45"                                                          PXG Gen 5 0311XF 8° Fuji Air Speeder 45 R 45"

Ping G410 3 wood Ventus Velocore Blue 6R tipped 1" 43"                                          PXG Gen 4 3 wood Fuji Air Speeder 45 A Tipped 1" 43"

PXG 0211 7 wood PX Evenflow 40 5.0 42"

Some experimenters have reported gaining distance and better dispersion with the lighter and more flexible shafts.  I cannot report the same results, but I can say the lighter setup feels easier to swing and my dispersion is good as long as I have a smooth transition in the swing.  Dropping only 1 flex in the driver seems to work better for me.  I am not ready to part with my Ventus shafts, but the experiment has been fun.  

Edited by DLeightonReid
  • Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° with UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 Wood 14.5° with Ventus Velocore Blue-6R

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG 0311 Gen 3 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 57°

SC Phantom X 11.5  putter

5 minutes ago, DLeightonReid said:

PXG 0211 7 wood PX Evenflow 40 5.0 42"

How is that 7 wood treating you and what is your driver swing speed, if you don't mind me asking?

• Like 1

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Just now, vandyfan said:

How is that 7 wood treating you and what is your driver swing speed, if you don't mind me asking?

Hello vandyfan - The PXG 0211 7 wood is a great club and I have better launch with the A flex shaft compared to the OEM stiff Diamana.  For some reason, the ball flight is dead straight.  My driver clubhead speed is 95 mph.  

• Thanks 1

Just pulled the trigger on the Project X will let you all know how it goes.

TM BRNR 11.5 HZRDUS Black
Tour Edge Exotic C723 3W 15 HZRDUS Black

Tour Edge Exotic C723 5W 19 HZRDUS Black

24 Tour Edge Exotic KBS hybrid
5-6  Wilson Staff D7 forged $ taper lite black 2 weak
7-PW Wilson Staff CB $ taper lite black 1 strong
50 55 60 Wilson Staff Forged $ taper lite

PXG Bat Attack 37 1/2 Dead Eye MMT 

TM Tour Response W/S Triad

Gave this a go with an Acer Velocity 45 in A flex. I am pleased with the outcome. The straight shots felt pured. Of course, the ball flight was higher, some shots had a slight fade but overall, it felt smoother than my V2 Proforce6 in stiff. No nasty duck hooks left, and the slices didn't seem as spiny. The setup dropped swing weight by about 2 points. 

• Like 2

I'm late to the party, but I too have been playing with very light and softer flex shafts.  I tried a few of the cheap ebay/amazon offerings, had some success, so I starting researching more.  I had my eyes on the Grand Bassara 29 line, but of course those are $400+.  But somehow I came across a guy locally selling his wife's driver, with a Grand Bassara 29R in it.  Entire setup cost me $150.  I reshafted the head with a random stiff flex shaft I had laying around and sold that driver for...$150.  So my Grand Bassara 29R cost me about 15 minutes swapping adapters.

The lighter and softer flex I've gone, the straighter and longer my drives have gotten.  I'm a long-term Arrcos user too, and my driver stats have improved.  I would say I've been able to drop my driver loft a couple degrees, as I get really high launch out of the GB29.  So beware of that as you experiment.  I'm now able to get a 8-8.5* loft up in the air, where before I was 9.5-10.5*.  

I'm now actually building most of my irons with light ladies/senior flex graphite shafts too.  I'm finding I can play less forgiving forged blades/musclebacks/cavitybacks now that I'm getting higher launch.  My middle swing-speed could never get a more bladed iron up in the air.  Now I'm hitting big high shots with circa 2005-2010 forged heads and pullout ladies shafts.  

• Like 3

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

Thinking of building up a few experiments with to pass some time over the winter, so I’ve been browsing around for light weight shafts available for cheap.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions how any of these may work?

• HZRDUS T800 4.0/5.0
  • Project X Cypher 40 5.0
Edited by 62@Oakmont

Ping G430 Max 9* HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 🇺🇸 LE

TM SIM Ti 5w Fuji Atmos Blue TS 7x

Ping G410 3h Fuji Atmos Blue TS 8HY

Titleist 816 5h Diamana Blue

Mizuno 919 Forged 6-P, HM Pro 5

Ping Glide Stealth 50 SS, 54 WS, 58 ES

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2022 slant

TM TP5

Many years ago I outfitted a spare driver with a soft 46" shaft and took it to the course. 

On the first hole I squared one up and carried a bunker that I'd never carried in my life.

Over the next 17 holes I lost about 13 golf balls. 🤣

You have to be pretty disciplined to make this work. 

• Haha 1

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

I got some testing in with my ProLaunch Blue shaft on Trackman and what was surprising to me is that my launch angles are relatively similar in the senior flex shaft as they were in the stiff shaft. 

So with my standard setup (stiff shaft - low torque shaft, 12g weight in the back) produces these numbers (I will note I was swinging a bit hard at these, my normal on-course speed is around 104 mph):

image.png.5e21fa08493e4d7a59193b0b8bf5e515.png

image.png.1215476598500bd3807bb3f156bbd6fb.png

Now compare that to what I was getting out of same head and setting in the ProLaunch Blue at 45g shaft weight in a Senior Flex with 12 g weight in the back.  Also average spin loft here was 12.4* vs 12.5* in the standard setup. 

image.png.d5b668f54533487f51440802a8f51f4d.png

image.png.b6d2eb234a83362a4a01f597b0ff85bd.png

What is interesting:

- Senior flex seems way more "efficient"

- Launch angle and spin loft is basically the same between the two setups

- Spin is DOWN with the senior flex

- Dispersion is more concentrated

• Like 2

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

25 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

I got some testing in with my ProLaunch Blue shaft on Trackman and what was surprising to me is that my launch angles are relatively similar in the senior flex shaft as they were in the stiff shaft. 

So with my standard setup (stiff shaft - low torque shaft, 12g weight in the back) produces these numbers (I will note I was swinging a bit hard at these, my normal on-course speed is around 104 mph):

image.png.5e21fa08493e4d7a59193b0b8bf5e515.png

image.png.1215476598500bd3807bb3f156bbd6fb.png

Now compare that to what I was getting out of same head and setting in the ProLaunch Blue at 45g shaft weight in a Senior Flex with 12 g weight in the back.  Also average spin loft here was 12.4* vs 12.5* in the standard setup. 

image.png.d5b668f54533487f51440802a8f51f4d.png

image.png.b6d2eb234a83362a4a01f597b0ff85bd.png

What is interesting:

- Senior flex seems way more "efficient"

- Launch angle and spin loft is basically the same between the two setups

- Spin is DOWN with the senior flex

- Dispersion is more concentrated

Great information vandyfan....thanks for sharing.  Your average clubhead speed was slightly slower with the senior ProLaunch Blue shaft.  Did you consciously try to slow your tempo with the senior flex?  Also, did you find the ProLaunch Blue to feel good and stable?  That shaft seems to be choice of people on another forum conducting this experiment.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, 62@Oakmont said:

Thinking of building up a few experiments with to pass some time over the winter, so I’ve been browsing around for light weight shafts available for cheap.

Anyone have any thoughts or opinions how any of these may work?

• HZRDUS T800 4.0/5.0
  • Project X Cypher 40 5.0

Most of the experimenters I have read about are recommending the ProLaunch Blue 45 senior flex.....like vandyfan above.