2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

"$50 Autoflex" Anyone try this?

mosesgolf

My club fitter built me a "Otto Flex" ProLaunch Blue 45 gram Senior shaft with Titliest adapter and new grip and my total cost was $100 for the experiment in my TSR2 head. 

Round one on Friday liked the lighter feel of the club and good results in terms of fairways hit, no significant yardage gains. 

Yesterday's round I  altered my setup just a touch by dropping my right trail foot back slightly and set up to hit a draw. Slowed my tempo down just a bit and suddenly the shaft came alive ! I gained significant yardage on my tee shots, was it my set up and tempo or the shaft? I don't know but this shaft does work if you let it load. 

Thanks to all on this forum for suggesting the ProLaunch Blue 45 in Senior flex. I can't wait to get back out on the course this week. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G430 Max 10K w Alta 55

Ping G430 5 wood w PD-70

Ping G425 7 wood w Slay 55

Ping G430 9 wood w Speeder EVO6

Ping G430 6 Hybrid w PX Red Smoke
Srixon ZX5 7-PW w Recoil 660

Vokey SM8 50.12 F Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey SM10 56.12 D Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey Wedgeworks 60.08 K Grind w Recoil 95

Odyssey Jailbird

9 minutes ago, tagermo said:

My club fitter built me a "Otto Flex" ProLaunch Blue 45 gram Senior shaft with Titliest adapter and new grip and my total cost was $100 for the experiment in my TSR2 head. 

Round one on Friday liked the lighter feel of the club and good results in terms of fairways hit, no significant yardage gains. 

Yesterday's round I  altered my setup just a touch by dropping my right trail foot back slightly and set up to hit a draw. Slowed my tempo down just a bit and suddenly the shaft came alive ! I gained significant yardage on my tee shots, was it my set up and tempo or the shaft? I don't know but this shaft does work if you let it load. 

Thanks to all on this forum for suggesting the ProLaunch Blue 45 in Senior flex. I can't wait to get back out on the course this week. 

What is your driver swing speed?

I am 68 years old and driver swing speed is 89 mph. Going to the lighter shaft and Senior flex seems to be a real game changer for me.

Also went from Modus 105's R to Recoil 95s F3 in the past couple of years then put Recoil 660's F2 in Srixon Z5's to gain better descent angle numbers. My launch is better and hold greens much better with no loss of dispersion due to lighter shafts. I can swing easier with better tempo and dont have to work so hard to load the shaft.

Results may vary but this experiment has worked for me. 

Ping G430 5 wood w PD-70

Odyssey Jailbird

On 3/11/2023 at 1:27 AM, SE Gamer said:

Given the whole point of this exercise is increasing CHS. Is the 2 flexes weaker all that critical? Or if one could use a flex standard to what they play, but in the correct weight? Benefits? Downside?

I think the answer is, it depends. For me, I swing in the 105-108 mph range and I now play a Senior flex with no issues. That said, I like feeling the club "load" and flex in the backswing and downswing. To me, it gives me some pop at the bottom of my swing, helps me stay in tempo and, somehow, seemed to drop my spin. I also found that since the shaft was softer it launched higher so I could drop the loft on my driver which gave me a slight boost in ball speed.

Important caveat, I typically liked higher torque shafts in the past and their feel due to the more active flexing (as far as I could feel it). Played a 6.0 Hzrdus last season and absolutely hated it even though I was "fit" into it. Really it was just a lazy fitting based on my clubhead speed and launch profile by the fitter (in my opinion). 

• Like 1

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW - FST 125 (S)

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60*  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

23 hours ago, vandyfan said:

I think the answer is, it depends. For me, I swing in the 105-108 mph range and I now play a Senior flex with no issues. That said, I like feeling the club "load" and flex in the backswing and downswing. To me, it gives me some pop at the bottom of my swing, helps me stay in tempo and, somehow, seemed to drop my spin. I also found that since the shaft was softer it launched higher so I could drop the loft on my driver which gave me a slight boost in ball speed.

Important caveat, I typically liked higher torque shafts in the past and their feel due to the more active flexing (as far as I could feel it). Played a 6.0 Hzrdus last season and absolutely hated it even though I was "fit" into it. Really it was just a lazy fitting based on my clubhead speed and launch profile by the fitter (in my opinion). 

Based on your lead, I also have been experimenting with Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (A flex) and also wanted to go down the lighter but stiffer route (Brava ?) with the Maltby MPF Pro Series UL stiff (cheaper than Grafalloy). 

I think like you say it is all about tempo and how you feel the club loads. I think the possible  trend to this lighter/more flexible or lighter/your normal flex driver shaft has resulted from the introduction of these higher end AutoFlex/Brava products that make it possible for the fitting industry to make a decent margin.  Whether or not they are worth paying 10 times the Grafalloy or Maltby route remains to be seen. (It would be interesting to see the YouTube world do a true blind test with golfers of different driver speeds/handicaps).

I think it is worthwhile considering something lighter and possibly more flexible to get a more optimal distance/dispersion outcome with your driver. 

• Like 1

I recently purchase a Project X LZ 4.5 A flex for $43 shipped to experiment with. I have not seen any wild left or right shots. No idea on spin numbers and distance seems to be a little further. Curious if anyone else has experimented with this shaft?

Edited by pdxhak
  • Like 1

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 + 5 wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I ordered a Pro Launch 45 A flex today. I’m in a Tensei Blue 55R already. Can’t be too much adjustment. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

9 hours ago, tutto benne said:

Based on your lead, I also have been experimenting with Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (A flex) and also wanted to go down the lighter but stiffer route (Brava ?) with the Maltby MPF Pro Series UL stiff (cheaper than Grafalloy). 

I think like you say it is all about tempo and how you feel the club loads. I think the possible  trend to this lighter/more flexible or lighter/your normal flex driver shaft has resulted from the introduction of these higher end AutoFlex/Brava products that make it possible for the fitting industry to make a decent margin.  Whether or not they are worth paying 10 times the Grafalloy or Maltby route remains to be seen. (It would be interesting to see the YouTube world do a true blind test with golfers of different driver speeds/handicaps).

I think it is worthwhile considering something lighter and possibly more flexible to get a more optimal distance/dispersion outcome with your driver. 

So you're part of the reason the Maltby MPF UL is sold out in A flex 🙂 

On 3/16/2023 at 9:44 PM, me05501 said:

I ordered a Pro Launch 45 A flex today. I’m in a Tensei Blue 55R already. Can’t be too much adjustment. 

I built up this shaft this week and also added a few grams to my Rogue Max LS head. First driving range experiment was interesting. I definitely sensed a little more energy being transferred into the club head. Of course once that happens it's hard to resist swinging harder and going for more and my range session devolved from there. Gonna hit the range again today for a more thorough audition. 

It is amazing how thin the walls of the 45g shaft are. There's actually a sticker on the grip end that cautions against overtightening a shaft clamp on this shaft. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

Good range session today. I don't find the ProLaunch 45 senior flex to feel loose in the least. The trajectory is good. I like having a little more weight in the head of my driver.

I'll get an on-course test on Sunday.  

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

We played yesterday afternoon. Temps were warm for March but the course was a soggy mess. 

I hit 9/13 fairways with the ProLaunch 45 senior flex in my Rogue Max ST head. I normally hit my driver either dead straight or with a slight draw. Yesterday I was getting a slight fade, but I really liked the trajectory. My carry distances appear similar to my old shaft but we weren't getting any roll at all. 

The shaft doesn't feel loose or whippy. I had the lie setting on Neutral so I can put it on Draw to see if that corrects the shape a bit. 

I'll be on Trackman with it tomorrow so I'll have some real data instead of just the eye test. 

• Like 3

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2023 at 9:53 AM, tutto benne said:

When I started this whole mess, the Maltby UL was in consideration. I picked the PLB because of the slightly tighter torque and feel I got really lucky.. that said, I've still wondered how the Maltby would stack up. 

Have you had a chance to compare the 2? 

And believe me, short of flat out trolling some YouTube reviewers, I've tried to get this concept noticed but without any success. Probably no financial gain so not worth the time. 

15 hours ago, AZstu324 said:

When I started this whole mess, the Maltby UL was in consideration. I picked the PLB because of the slightly tighter torque and feel I got really lucky.. that said, I've still wondered how the Maltby would stack up. 

Have you had a chance to compare the 2? 

And believe me, short of flat out trolling some YouTube reviewers, I've tried to get this concept noticed but without any success. Probably no financial gain so not worth the time. 

The only testing I have done has been mostly indoors in a golf dome - but was able to hit outdoors last week at a driving range in cold and windy conditions.

I started with the PLB in an A flex and later adding the Maltby UL in S flex and (finally) the Proforce V2 HL in S flex (52 grams uncut) - I seem to be leaning to a lightweight S flex.  In what testing I have done the Proforce seems  to have a better feel than the Maltby. The Maltby feels more boardy. (My swing speed is around 98 with a fairly quick transition).

The other consideration is grip weight and the impact on overall feel and tempo. Most grips weigh as much or more than these lightweight shafts, so for the Proforce, I used a standard grip (52 grams) vs my normal MCC Plus 4 midsize (66 gram).

For me moving to a lightweight shaft has resulted in a higher launch and more whip (kick) than my previous heavier shafts.

Edited by tutto benne
  • Like 2

I played three rounds each with the G430 Max demo's in 9.0 and a 10.5 turned down to 9. Tried the Alta CB 55 in stiff and regular as well as the Pro Launch 45 and the Pro Launch won out hands down.

I ordered a G430 Max nine degree driver yesterday and decided to go with the Distanza shaft even though I couldn't find one to try.  Figured the Distanza was the closest thing available to the Pro Launch so thought I'd give it a shot.

Also ordered 5, 7 and 9 woods all with the Distanza as well.

Have really gotten used to the Pro Launch 45 in A flex and like it a lot.  Put it back in my G425 Max a couple of days ago and although the head still feels a little heavy I hit it really well and in the last three rounds had at least a dozen drives over 290 and a bunch in the 260 - 270 range which is a lot for me these days.

Only had two bad drives in the two rounds and both were lost balls high right but it sure wasn't the fault of the shaft.  Trying to hit it a little too hard and just got way out ahead of it and couldn't catch back up.

Don't know what to expect with the Distanza but looking forward to trying it out - especially in the fairway woods.

It's gonna be tuff for the Distanza to beat out the Pro Launch in the driver though.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

• 3 weeks later...

Scotty,

Yes that should work for you, its amazing how stable this shaft is and the price makes it a no brainer.

• Like 1

Ping G430 5 wood w PD-70

Odyssey Jailbird

On 4/18/2023 at 5:34 PM, scotty_2987 said:

I want to give this a try out of curiosity. If I normally play 65 gram x stiff shafts would the pro launch blue 45 in regular flex be a good place to start?

That’s what I’m going to do. I typically play stiff or x-stiff in 60 gram shafts, depending on the shaft, but I am going with reg flex in the PLB because it is so much lighter and I will be playing it longer.

Looked for a Mitsubishi Bassara GG 53 stiff (came out in 2013-14) as that is supposedly an almost exact profile match to Autoflex (according to Russ Ryden), but can’t find one that is not already cut too short. Plus the torque is a lot lower in the PLB, but still plenty high at 5.0. Going to build it at 46 inches playing length. 

I watched a guy demo an Autoflex last week and he bought it. His numbers were up, but the shaft also was 1.5 inches longer than his gamer, 20g lighter and more flexible. He was not very good and had a weak, slashing, harpooning-type swing. Hard to conclude much from it. He dropped north of 1K for a driver and rainbow Autoflex and should have paid for 5-7 lessons instead IMO. The question is not whether Autoflex works, it is whether it delivers results any better than a wide variety of other shafts if you go lighter, longer and more flexible. 

• Like 4

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

On 5/9/2023 at 10:52 PM, wobgon said:

Without reading the whole thread, are we talking about the new prolaunch blue shaft that golfworks sells?

Yes. 45g senior flex. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

So I had a few range sessions with the ProLaunch 45g senior shaft, but I can't say I've really put it through its paces. I didn't sense that much difference between the lighter shaft and the Tensei Blue 55/65 regular shafts I've been using. 

I did recently add some head weight to get my driver swing weight up to about D3.5 or so. I just got back from an 81-hole golf weekend and I couldn't have been more pleased with my driver, other than distance. I hit the ball on a great trajectory and barely missed a fairway. My average including up- and downhill drives was probably only 230 or so, but then I was nursing a sore back too. 

Long story short I'm going to keep experimenting with shaft and swing weights to see if I can find a little more punch without losing the control I've found lately. 

Edited by me05501

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

On 5/11/2023 at 1:39 PM, i*windows said:

Going to try a bassara falcon 43g A flex, 

Would like to hear how that goes. 

41 minutes ago, i*windows said:

Unfortunately the sale fell through, but have a 40g evenflow cb on the way 🔥, will report back

My ProLaunch Blue 45 reg flex should arrive this week. Will do the same. 

I've played many rounds now with the Prolaunch Blue 45-R. It has stood the rest of time. Stable and easy to swing.  No control issues. No trouble hitting the launch "windows" I want/need.   I can't say it has given me a bunch of new distance (I think I was pretty "dialed in" before), but it's as long or longer than anything I have hit.  

• Like 1
Taylormade M5 9* w/Prolaunch Blue 45
Taylormade Stealth 3HL 16.5* w/Proforce V2 65 
Taylormade M2 5HL 21* w/Proforce V2 65
Adams Pro Mini Hybrids: 23*, 26* w/VS Proto 95
Srixon Zx65 Combo Irons (Z565 6, Z765 7-9, Z965 PW) w/TT AMT Black
Vokeys: SM7 52-12F, SM7 58-12D, WedgeWorks 60-10V (at 62-12), all w/Pro Modus3 115 Wedge
Odyssey DXF Doublewide

I usually play a 50-55g R Flex shaft (last two fitted shafts have  been a Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 R and an HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 50 5.5).

Last year I tried the Riptide CB 40g 4.0 (L flex) and it was a mess for me.  While it never felt overly soft, I kept just hitting high push slices and my normal ball flight is a high staight to baby draw.  I immediately went back to the R flex 50g shaft.  

For reference I have a very deliberate back swing and smooth tempo.  I kinda wonder if part of the magic in the Otto is just to get guys to slow down their tempos.  

• Like 2

_________________________________________________________________________________________

:taylormade: Qi10 Max 12* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5R

PING G430 SFT 5w 19* | 7w 22* Alta CB Black (set to +/Flat)

Exotics Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design Tour G

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke HL 6-AW True Temper Elevate 85R

PING Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* | Smart Sole C 4.0

PING 2023 Anser 2D

Got the evenflow CB 40g in a 5.0 flex, so first impressions after a short range session are actually pretty similar to Mr Shortgame, its extremely stable and feels solid - I' dont get the impression of any whippyness, and to be honest after ten swings I couldn't really tell much of a difference between this and the Aldila RIP Phenom 60 I use now. I will hit trackman this weekend and see what numbers come out.