2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

"$50 Autoflex" Anyone try this?

mosesgolf

On 10/14/2023 at 9:53 AM, ApostateDrive said:

Thank you for that info! 

I glued up the PLB A flex shaft, trimmed it to 45", since I usually play my drivers at 44", and it came in at D1.5 with the stock C722 head. The waggle test definitely shows a lot of waggle, but less than I expected. Though, maybe my expectations were skewed because I've spent a lot of time working with my Lag Shot, and that's obscenely whippy. 

Hoping to hit it tomorrow!

One of the keys for me with this setup and it seems to be pretty prevalent throughout the group is to slow down and swing a bit less aggressively.

Kind of let the club or in this case the shaft do the work.

Some of my longest drives have come when I feel as though I'm only swinging at about fifty percent effort.

Of course I think that's probably the case with a heavier and stiffer shaft as well so maybe that's the real secret to the sauce?

Although I do believe that less effort translates to greater distance with the lighter and softer shaft.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

Well, I know I'm years behind on trying this out, but I tried the ProLaunch Blue 45-A shaft on my stock C722 head at 45". Compared to the Ventus Red 6-S that I was playing at 44". I immediately gained 3mph clubhead speed and 10-15 yards of carry. I also gained about 15 feet in peak height, resulting in the best drives I've ever hit in my life, bar none. Dispersion was also amazing with the majority of my shots dropping on top of each other. 

Overall, fantastic success and I'll be gaming this immediately. The only niggle I have is that, as it turns out, I swing 5 mph slower than I thought (95mph vs 100mph). So I'm really thinking about picking up the 45-L flex and seeing if that is even better. I figure, if it doesn't work, I can cut the shaft down and give it to my wife. 

• Like 1

TE C722 - Maltby TS3 - Maltby TSW - Wilson Windy City

27 minutes ago, ApostateDrive said:

Well, I know I'm years behind on trying this out, but I tried the ProLaunch Blue 45-A shaft on my stock C722 head at 45". Compared to the Ventus Red 6-S that I was playing at 44". I immediately gained 3mph clubhead speed and 10-15 yards of carry. I also gained about 15 feet in peak height, resulting in the best drives I've ever hit in my life, bar none. Dispersion was also amazing with the majority of my shots dropping on top of each other. 

Overall, fantastic success and I'll be gaming this immediately. The only niggle I have is that, as it turns out, I swing 5 mph slower than I thought (95mph vs 100mph). So I'm really thinking about picking up the 45-L flex and seeing if that is even better. I figure, if it doesn't work, I can cut the shaft down and give it to my wife. 

It would also make a great fairway shaft to, btw.  That's exactly what I ended up doing, trying a couple driver shafts, putting the L flex in the driver, then trimming the slightly firmer shaft for my 3-wood.  It has actually had an even bigger change to my 3w, as I just get so much better launch/trajectory and peak height now.  It also allows me to swing nice and easy, and hit a 5w distance shot, but still get the height.  

• Like 2

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

6 minutes ago, subrew said:

It would also make a great fairway shaft to, btw.  That's exactly what I ended up doing, trying a couple driver shafts, putting the L flex in the driver, then trimming the slightly firmer shaft for my 3-wood.  It has actually had an even bigger change to my 3w, as I just get so much better launch/trajectory and peak height now.  It also allows me to swing nice and easy, and hit a 5w distance shot, but still get the height.  

Oh, that's a good thought. I suck with woods, even after going to a 5 wood instead of a 3 wood. Maybe I should pull the A shaft and tip it for 5 wood, then drop the L shaft into the driver.

Edited by ApostateDrive

3 hours ago, subrew said:

Do you carry any hybrids? What weight of shaft do you use for your next club after 3 wood? I have a hybrid after my fairway wood and it has a 70 gram shaft. I'm wondering if the transition from driver/5 wood both having 45 gram shafts to 70 gram hybrid will be too jarring?

19 hours ago, ApostateDrive said:

Or try it in one of your fairway woods.

I have a Pro Launch Blue 45 L that I've used in both my five and seven woods and love it.

Since the Blue 45 series doesn't require tipping for fairway wood use just butt trim to length and away you go.

Glad to hear you've had such great success with the experiment!

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"

• 2 weeks later...

Played the UST Helium Black 4F2 today. For the first 8 holes, I couldn’t control it at all, and was really getting deflated about my swing. But on the 9th tee box, I tried to deliberately slow down my tempo & what a difference that made! Hopefully I found the secret…

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

Got a few more range trips with the ProLaunch Blue A-45 in the Tour Edge C722 head. I have been playing that head at 11.5* with my usual 44" Ventus Red 6-S shaft. With the ProLaunch Blue, I was seeing a few yards more carry with the same 11.5* loft, however I was getting a lot of high, ballooning shots. I turned it down to 9.5* and now I only get the occasional ballooning shot. The range I hit at has monitors, but they don't give you a spin number, so I need to rent a bay at the local PGATSS to get my numbers. Currently, I'm getting high 130's ball speed, ~15.5* of launch, and 215 yards of carry. That's pretty good for me, but my driver has always been the weakest point of my game; I can flush a 5 wood off the deck almost as far as I can drive.

• 4 months later...

@Adam C

Sorry if this has been covered but... what about autoflex replacement for a 3 wood?  Think the same shaft would work?

I have found the Motore F3 5-R2 to be wonderful in my driver (TSi3).  Switched from my old Fuji Speeder Evo 661X that I have played for more than 7 years now.  

- KC 

Titleist TSi3 (8°)

Mizuno ST-Z 230 (16.8°)

Ping iBlade (3i/19°)

Ping i59 (4i-Pw)

Ping Glide 4.0 Raw (52S/56S/58T)

Odyssey Marxman XG (44")

Mizuno RB Max (Yellow)

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/1/2023 at 10:03 AM, ApostateDrive said:

Got a few more range trips with the ProLaunch Blue A-45 in the Tour Edge C722 head. I have been playing that head at 11.5* with my usual 44" Ventus Red 6-S shaft. With the ProLaunch Blue, I was seeing a few yards more carry with the same 11.5* loft, however I was getting a lot of high, ballooning shots. I turned it down to 9.5* and now I only get the occasional ballooning shot. The range I hit at has monitors, but they don't give you a spin number, so I need to rent a bay at the local PGATSS to get my numbers. Currently, I'm getting high 130's ball speed, ~15.5* of launch, and 215 yards of carry. That's pretty good for me, but my driver has always been the weakest point of my game; I can flush a 5 wood off the deck almost as far as I can drive.

Any updates on this for you? Thinking about trying this experiment. 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 10/3/2022 at 5:01 AM, SEP1006 said:

Well good luck to you guys trying to duplicate the "Autoflex" performance / results. I play it ( and have since it came out ) in my Driver and 3wd. Best shaft by far that I have ever played.

I will say this to those experimenting because I haven't seen it mentioned. I am 65 and in great shape, work out religiously 5 days a week. My SS with a drivers is 95ish. I have gotten my best results by far using the Autoflex with a driver head weight of 206 grams. Which I think puts it close to D4 or D5 swing weight. I play my driver at 45" also.

Is there anymore to the Autoflex than light/ soft flex/ low torque?

39 minutes ago, Thayneil said:

Is there anymore to the Autoflex than light/ soft flex/ low torque?

Well all I know is it works and everyone is trying to either copy it or find something that comes close.

• Like 1

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra Shaft

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

On 4/20/2024 at 5:38 AM, James the Hogan Fan said:

Someone near me on marketplace posted a senior flex air speeder with tm adapter ready to go for $50... should I try the experiment or is it one of you guys cutting bait?

I've put an air speeder 45 R driver shaft (TM adapter) in a sim ti 3 wood recently and the results have been great, some really long shots, so I can recommend it (though admittedly haven't tried the A flex yet).  Bought it for a Callaway driver but since it came with a TM tip thought I'd try it in the 3 wood first.  Have since ordered another for the driver and will butt trim the 3 wood.  Have a vanquish 4R currently in the driver but I'm getting the odd hook that i'm not used to.  Driver ss is high 80's so shouldn't be over powering it.   Have an A flex riptide cb 50 in the 5 wood which has been quite good.     By comparison my experiment with autoflex (in a UW 19) was a complete disaster. 

Edited by mrpriceisright

I had great luck tonight with an Evenflow green from CPO and a little lead tape tonight.  

We will see if it translates to the course tomorrow.  

Callaway Paradym 10.5* HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 3HL Paradym X HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway 7w Paradym HZRDUS Silver 5.5

Tour Edge C522 4 and 6 hybrids Fubuki HL 55R

Callaway 6-52* irons Paradym HZRDUS Silver 6.0

Callaway Jaws Raw 58* Catalyst Wedge

Odyssey 11 Triple Track SuperStroke Traxion 2.0