Anyone have a pic of Trevino's Hogan Special sand wedge?

My Google fu has let me down. If anyone has a pic of his actual wedge, it would be much appreciated.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

18 minutes ago, Konklifer said:

My Google fu has let me down. If anyone has a pic of his actual wedge, it would be much appreciated.

I've two old Hogan special wedges but unsure if Trevino used this type. " Sure Out " is the name. Massive sole for links bunkers. Let me know if you want a photo, they took some getting.

found this on the net just now:

(spoiler - a Hogan Special w/green lettering)

http://golfismygame.com/journal/2019/9/22/magic-clubs-lee-trevinos-1971-us-open-bag

OOOOH My!....just checked my stash of Hogan wedges....it looks as if the Special SI is red & a couple look like Hogan's name is in green....

Edited by bcstones
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks. I've read this. Wondering if it had 'Ben Hogan' and the sunburst logo or just 'Ben Hogan'.

PING G400 Max 10.5° (+)
PING G430 fairway 18° (F-), Alta CB S
PING G430 hybrid 22° (F-), Alta CB S
PING i530 5-U, DG Mid 115 S300
PING s159 54°-W (bent 52°), 58°-B, DG Mid 115 S300
PING Serene B60
Maxfli Tour Yellow

1 minute ago, Konklifer said:

Thanks. I've read this. Wondering if it had 'Ben Hogan' and the sunburst logo or just 'Ben Hogan'.

just went and double checked the stash...I do have a couple of the sunburst special with Sand Iron on the sole....but the color of the signature is difficult but looks black to me, there is also a Special PW sunburst but the signature is needs cleaning but again black....
the Special SI have no sunburst, just the signature....I was surprised to see  the "Special PW" cuz I thought all Hogans of that time were "Equalizers"....

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, bcstones said:

just went and double checked the stash...I do have a couple of the sunburst special with Sand Iron on the sole....but the color of the signature is difficult but looks black to me, there is also a Special PW sunburst but the signature is needs cleaning but again black....
the Special SI have no sunburst, just the signature....I was surprised to see  the "Special PW" cuz I thought all Hogans of that time were "Equalizers"....

I think the Equaliser was later.

31 minutes ago, Pastit said:

I gotta disagree...Hogan called his pitching wedge, his equalizer & I'm thinking that the pitching wedge was called Equalizer or E while he was alive...the earliest set of Hogan's I have is the first Percussion Center (mid 1960s, not the "PC") has the Equalizer....not sure when the change occured, but might have been when Callaway bought Top Flight franchise that included the Hogan franchise in 2003...

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Listening to the xm today and heard an interview with Trevino talking about this wedge. He said they were only made for a year or 2, 1970 and 1971. And he said they had green stripes on the ferrule (i’ve read a few other places that said green paint fill, but he definitely said ferrule stripes, at least in this interview!).

Very curious if these were something that was around or a custom/one off. 

• Like 2

I caught that on radio today too.  Will be interesting if someone can come up with one and post a picture.  I have a couple Hogan Specials but all from mid 80's or later with traditional red paint fill and red stripes on the ferrules.

• Like 1

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

checked my stash of Hogan wedges...no green striped ferrule, only a couple w/red stripe. Most just plain black ferrule (could the rings, of any color have broken off...can't really tell). 

7 hours ago, st1800e said:

Thanks for the link....nice, bright green stripes & for ~$30 

• Like 1

A little off topic as not the Hogan wedges being discussed but these sand irons, which belonged to Lee Trevino, are in the Golf Museum at St Andrews. 20230901_104615.jpg.aad49d4bae8641bd5bf6ae88d8c4faee.jpg

It is a poor quality picture and it was difficult to view the back of the heads but look like early Wilson R90's to me?

I believe one of them was the club used to break Tony Jacklins heart during his British Open win at Muirfield in 1972.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bcstones said:

checked my stash of Hogan wedges...no green striped ferrule, only a couple w/red stripe. Most just plain black ferrule (could the rings, of any color have broken off...can't really tell). 

Thanks for the link....nice, bright green stripes & for ~$30 

Now boys.... Let's don't start a bidding war for the darned thing!  LOL.  If the seller gets wind of this forum, he'll jack the price to $200 🤣

Edited by Bigarch
  • Haha 2

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

So the big question is whats the bounce or grind on that and is there a modern equivalent? It looks a bit like a Cleveland Diadic to me, but that’s without ever seeing one first hand. 

Trevino has these is his bag today, simply a remade version of them from Artisan that are made to be a carbon copy of the legendary “green hogan” as i’m now calling it 😂

Appreciate the research and info gents!!

Edited by DoughBack18
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Trevino at the 1971 Open.  Looks like he's using a 1969 version with blue Hogan signature and red and blue ferrule trim rings.  The 1970 version was green script with green/gold ferrule rings.  He certainly talked about the green signature as what he used, but players sometimes aren't quite the equipment nerds that we are.

gettyimages-114260617-2048x2048.jpg

gettyimages-520599136-2048x2048 (2).jpg

gettyimages-520599136-2048x2048.jpg

On 12/4/2023 at 10:46 AM, Foozle said:

A little off topic as not the Hogan wedges being discussed but these sand irons, which belonged to Lee Trevino, are in the Golf Museum at St Andrews. 20230901_104615.jpg.aad49d4bae8641bd5bf6ae88d8c4faee.jpg

It is a poor quality picture and it was difficult to view the back of the heads but look like early Wilson R90's to me?

I believe one of them was the club used to break Tony Jacklins heart during his British Open win at Muirfield in 1972.

he said its a 1937 in a recent pod 

• Thanks 1

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball: Yellow Srixon Q Stars

I bought my Special Sand Iron in '72. That was the year they were released. The back has the Sunburst in gold, Hogan signature in black and Special in all caps in red. The sole says Sand Iron in all caps in red. There was also a Special PW and the Sure Out.

The Sure Out was released in '64. From '65-'69 there was the Sure On wedge. It had a much narrower sole than the Sure Out. My '72  Special Sand Iron looks a lot like the old Sure On. They were all great sand wedges. I played a Sure Out for 3 years in college and it was so easy to get out of bunkers. The standard sand shot back then on an uphill or flat shot was to carry the ball past the hole and spin it back. On downhill shots you hit it about 6 feet short of the hole and it would check up and roll like a putt up to the hole. You could really spin those balata balls. I used Hogan's method for hitting a high, soft shot from deep grass around the greens. It was very much like a flop shot today. Those wedges all had one loft, 56, and one style of sole. No special grinds. You bought one and learned how to use it. I could hit a one hop and stop or hit the green and let it run out like a putt.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mocokid said:

Helen hicks R-90 ladies club.

I listened to the "No Laying Up" podcast last night in which Lee Trevino references this club. It is a great interview which I would commend to all on here to listen to.

Lee says he auctioned the Helen Hicks sand iron for charity after the event. I wonder if he knows it has since found its way into the Golf Museum?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mocokid said:

Helen hicks R-90 ladies club.

just a question...more clarification - are you sure the Helen Hicks sand iron was R-90?

I can only find Helen Hicks R-26 (based on the men's R-20, according to Kaplan's Wilson section...and the R-90 is mentioned in 1940). The last time I see Helen Hicks mentioned is 1939, then the war years & then Patty Berg and Babe Didrikson/Zaharias are the Women's reps.

2 hours ago, bcstones said:

just a question...more clarification - are you sure the Helen Hicks sand iron was R-90?

I can only find Helen Hicks R-26 (based on the men's R-20, according to Kaplan's Wilson section...and the R-90 is mentioned in 1940). The last time I see Helen Hicks mentioned is 1939, then the war years & then Patty Berg and Babe Didrikson/Zaharias are the Women's reps.

It was Lee Trevino himself who described it as a Helen Hicks R90 from 1937.

You are almost certainly right that it was in fact an R26 but I for one am very happy to grant Mr Trevino some poetic license on his recollections from over 50 years ago as part of a fascinating interview. 

If I were to be spared, I cannot imagine who, from the current crop of pro's, I would enjoy listening to and be entertained by in 50 years time or whom I would hold with the same respect and admiration. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I picked this one up to go with my 76 Apex’s. Looks just like his but has the normal red/black/gold paint fill.

IMG_2438.jpeg.9f41989a3a8a55d8e96b15a928787fe3.jpegIMG_2439.jpeg.13e00ec743045dacaed0fb06607107f9.jpegIMG_2441.jpeg.f5677b9c39e6eec1c00b8752bc8ef12d.jpegIMG_2446.jpeg.5a855a163fc57dd09a8314f8c0218d2e.jpeg
Guessing this is 76-78 cuz has a AMF Vector big butted shaft. Look how it steps down then back up under the grip. Earlier attempt at a spinner shaft?? Maybe one of you all knows. It’s also very short at just under 34.25 inches with no grip. I took off the after market grip that was on it. I’m not sure if it was trimmed at some point or also wondering if it’s possibly a ladies club? Most Hogan ladies clubs I’ve seen have more feminine paint fills and different ferrules though. IMG_2443.jpeg.5fbcb5838d09f7736b784a0fe4a77326.jpegIMG_2445.jpeg.a0a866f948734f4f3353424cd0f6fa3b.jpegIMG_2444.jpeg.5184e7bd61dcebd2305cfac3a2c6cafc.jpeg

• Like 1

All sorts of cut down stuff on the used market. 

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball: Yellow Srixon Q Stars