2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 MAX Putter

PingPoncho

34 minutes ago, BeerNye said:

The Max isn't nearly as big as I suspected it would be. 

I think that the picture is a little bit of an optical illusion, since the progression of size flows from right to left. If you were to swap positions of the putters (still facing the left), the Maxx would look significantly bigger.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9deg  Ventus TR Blue 6 S

Callaway  Paradym 💎💎💎 3 wood Ventus TR Blue 7 S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 18 & 24 deg Ventus HB 8 S

Miura KM700 4-P Fujikura Axiom 105S

Miura Milled Tour Wedge 52 deg Fujikura Axiom 105S

Callaway JAWS Full Toe 58deg Fujikura Axiom 105S

32.5" LAB Golf DF3 w/BGT Stability One Black | Pistol 2.0 Grip

Custom Vessel Lux Cart Bag

On 10/23/2022 at 4:19 PM, johnsomp said:

Could someone place a ruler or measuring tape on the ground around both the Mezz and Max models?  I'd like to know the width of the face, the length of the fangs, and the width of the fangs at the back of the putter head to compare to my current fang style putter.

I forgot to measure the width of the fangs but the Max has noticeably wider fangs.  I measured both this morning the length of the fangs is basically the same on both around 2.75 inches.  I measured just the face before the angle back on both putters.  The Mezz was right around 3.5 inches and the Max was 4.  I remember one of my first impressions of the Mezz was that it was much more compact than I was expecting, after an entire summer of gamming it I have gotten used to it but the Max is definitely more what I was expecting when I unboxed the original Mezz.  I have only played 1 round with the Max so far but to me I am really liking it already, I also ordered it as the heavy version as I have always played heavy putters in the past so not sure how much my love for the Max is based on the actual head itself or just the additional weight.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, LODGE1519 said:

I forgot to measure the width of the fangs but the Max has noticeably wider fangs.  I measured both this morning the length of the fangs is basically the same on both around 2.75 inches.  I measured just the face before the angle back on both putters.  The Mezz was right around 3.5 inches and the Max was 4.  I remember one of my first impressions of the Mezz was that it was much more compact than I was expecting, after an entire summer of gamming it I have gotten used to it but the Max is definitely more what I was expecting when I unboxed the original Mezz.  I have only played 1 round with the Max so far but to me I am really liking it already, I also ordered it as the heavy version as I have always played heavy putters in the past so not sure how much my love for the Max is based on the actual head itself or just the additional weight.

Are you making more putts with the Max vs the original?

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR2 with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

5 hours ago, Mob said:

Are you making more putts with the Max vs the original?

It is difficult to say as I have only played one round with it and it was not at my usual course (green speeds were MUCH slower than I am used to).  It seems pretty automatic on the perfect practice in the basement, but the original does too.  I will say that with the additional head weight I had a much easier time putting on the slow greens, not that it is hotter off the face or anything like that if anything I think it might feel a little softer, however I was able to feel the head more and didn't lose it in transition on long lag putts that have been a serious problem for me on slower greens with the original.  I think that is probably mainly due to the head weight and not the max vs the original however.  I will say that I don't have the same "this is life changing" feel that I had switching from a standard putter to the original Mezz when going from the original to the max, but personally for me it is a legitimate upgrade.  The blade length is more what I prefer looking at vs the compact size of the original (its only half an inch but when standing over it, it makes a big difference) and I love that I was able to custom order it as heavier.  Will those changes translate into making more putts I am not sure but I do know that I am already more confident with the max than I was with the original (and my confidence was at an all time high with the original).  To be completely honest though my best rounds of putting in my life have not been this summer since switching to the Mezz as I was always an extremely streaky putter before this year (some days I would make everything and then the next I couldn't touch the hole from a few feet).  To me the biggest change has not been in holed putts it has been in consistency round to round and I feel like with the larger head and added weight I will be even more consistent with the max, which is why I think it will stay in the bag over the original.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

My Mezz Max comes next week.  I will compare it to my Mezz.  Same shaft, slightly different lie angle.  May only get to roll it on my indoor putting matt, depending on weather.  Greens outside at this time of year aren't great anyway.  I will report back next week.

LEFT HANDED

Same for me! Mezz Max should be here on Tuesday. Will definitely let you know how it goes (at least on the indoor mat for now).  I ordered the stock Mezz Max on 10/17 and it should be here on 11/15 so way better than the stated 6-8 week turnaround time. 

PING G430 MAX 10K DRIVER w/ACCRA TZX 255

PING G430 MAX 3W w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200F

PING G425 MAX 7W w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200F

PING G425 5H w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200H

PING G425 6H w/ACCRA FX 2.0 200H

PING G425 6-SW w/ACCRA ICWT 95

PING GLIDE 4.0 60-10S w/ACCRA 105i

LAB LINK.1 w/LAB x ACCRA or

PING ZING 2 PLD CUSTOM (Just in case) 

On 10/25/2022 at 12:45 AM, Sawgrass Guy said:

I think I’m going to pull the trigger on a Broomstick Mezz Max.

Anyone try one out?

I have used this broomstick model for 4 month this season. I have it in a graphite shaft. It took about a month to get used to the light weight of the broomstick putter with the graphite shaft compared to my 2-ball broomstick putter with steel shaft. After I have got used to the weight I like it alot. I I like that the head does not want to rotate during the stroke. I can focus on the distance of the put knowing the face will stay square.

• Like 2

Mezz Max showed up today. So far I am really impressed. I was on the fence if I would like the Mezz vs the Mezz Max. After putting around on my home putting mat I am glad I went with the Mezz Max. It still seems pretty compact but feel like it is more stable and confidence inspiring. Excited to get it out onto the course. 

• Like 1

My Mezz Max arrived today as well.  I spent about 10 minutes going back and forth between the 2 putters.  It may feel alittle more stable, but that could easily be psychological as well.  I will do some testing this weekend.  I will also taking some comparative pictures of the 2 and share them. 

One thing I do notice, is that the Mezz Max is weighted so that the toe goes up towards the sky much quicker when the shaft is laid on the corner of a table, with the grip and head hanging off the sides.  The original Mezz was much slower to equilibrate to that position.  Maybe it is because of the more peripheral weighting of the Mezz Max?

• Like 3

LEFT HANDED

I noticed the more “toe up” position on mine as well. Interesting. 

7 minutes ago, Nelson.br.1515 said:

I noticed the more “toe up” position on mine as well. Interesting. 

I actually sent them an email asking about this.  They responded very quickly. Here is the response:

I understand your concern, but I can confirm that both putters are Lie Angle Balanced. Our putters are checked at multiple stages throughout the build process to ensure they are balanced. Testing our putters on a corner of a table or your hands won't give you a perfect reading like our devices will. The putter that seems to stay in any position would rest toe up like your newer putter if it was placed in the device we use when hand balancing the putters. 

• Like 3

LEFT HANDED

My Mezz Max arrived last week. After playing the regular Mezz for about a week I decided it just wasn't right for me and returned it and ordered a Mezz Max in Platinum finish with Site Dot and Accra shaft. 

Put the Max in play on Friday and putted horribly and thought to myself what have I done ? I just spent over $500 on a putter that I am missing, right, left, long and short. 

Saturday I went and spent an hour on the putting green using a string line and experimented with different ball positions. I found the best ball position for me just slightly forward of center. 

Played today and had 30 putts for the round and made a large number of putts for par saves and was deadly inside 12 feet and also short 3 footers I made them all. 

In addition to the ball position I set up and used a line on my ball. Once you find the correct ball position this putter is fantastic. 

• Like 3

Ping G430 Max 10K w Alta 55

Ping G430 5 wood w PD-70

Ping G425 7 wood w Slay 55

Ping G430 9 wood w Speeder EVO6

Ping G430 6 Hybrid w PX Red Smoke
Srixon ZX5 6-PW w Recoil 660

Vokey SM8 50.12 F Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey SM10 56.12 D Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey Wedgeworks 60.08 K Grind w Recoil 95

Odyssey Jailbird

11 hours ago, tagermo said:

My Mezz Max arrived last week. After playing the regular Mezz for about a week I decided it just wasn't right for me and returned it and ordered a Mezz Max in Platinum finish with Site Dot and Accra shaft. 

Put the Max in play on Friday and putted horribly and thought to myself what have I done ? I just spent over $500 on a putter that I am missing, right, left, long and short. 

Saturday I went and spent an hour on the putting green using a string line and experimented with different ball positions. I found the best ball position for me just slightly forward of center. 

Played today and had 30 putts for the round and made a large number of putts for par saves and was deadly inside 12 feet and also short 3 footers I made them all. 

In addition to the ball position I set up and used a line on my ball. Once you find the correct ball position this putter is fantastic. 

Congrats on getting it figured out. Took me several rounds to get my LAB figured out. Ball position is critical with any LAB putter. I am a huge fan and will never go back to any putter that is not a LAB. 

• Like 2

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

On 10/9/2022 at 7:39 AM, onwrd2vctry said:

Just got the regular mezz...and love it.  First putter that stays square...in 45 years of golf.  Anyone see Charles Howell in Bangkok final round?  Did he have a new LAB blade?  Kinda looked liked it.

Sounds like he’s been using the new LAB link they just dropped. 

• 1 year later...
On 9/27/2022 at 9:45 AM, flubberlange said:

Not sure but standard was way too light for me personally. I felt like I “lost” the putter head in the backswing. I added a bunch of lead tape and sent it back to LAB for more weight and rebalancing.

I have a Mezz Max standard weight since November but only had the chance to play outside a few rounds yet (I live in Canada). I have the exact same feeling as you where I can’t really feel the head on the takeaway. I’m wondering if I should send it back to add weight, but it won’t be cheap because of the shipping cost.

I would like to have some feedback from you?

10 hours ago, obd said:

I have a Mezz Max standard weight since November but only had the chance to play outside a few rounds yet (I live in Canada). I have the exact same feeling as you where I can’t really feel the head on the takeaway. I’m wondering if I should send it back to add weight, but it won’t be cheap because of the shipping cost.

I would like to have some feedback from you?

Before you send it back, try lightening your grip - a lot. To the point your thumbs are off the grip and you can feel the weight of the putter in the cradle created by your fingers under the grip. Try putting like that and if it’s still too light then send it back - or sell it and buy another one with the “heavy” option.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/13/2024 at 8:58 AM, flubberlange said:

Before you send it back, try lightening your grip - a lot. To the point your thumbs are off the grip and you can feel the weight of the putter in the cradle created by your fingers under the grip. Try putting like that and if it’s still too light then send it back - or sell it and buy another one with the “heavy” option.

I have played a few rounds with it now that the courses are open. Still not sure with the weight, even when I lightened my grip I lose the head sometimes.

how does it go on your end with the added weight?

19 minutes ago, obd said:

I have played a few rounds with it now that the courses are open. Still not sure with the weight, even when I lightened my grip I lose the head sometimes.

how does it go on your end with the added weight?

Interesting feedback - LABs def feel lighter, but not light enough to lose the head altogether.  My advice - give them a call and talk through options.  Worst you can do is sell (there is a hot aftermarket for LABs...shouldn't have an issue selling) and go for something heavier.  

Driver: Callaway Paradym 10.5* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 Stiff

Fairways:  Callaway Paradym 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Irons:  Cobra Forged TEC 4-PW with KBS Tour Stiff

Wedges:  Callaway Jaws Raw Plasma 50, 54 & 58

Putter:  Scotty Phantom X 5.5

16 minutes ago, ChrisATL said:

Interesting feedback - LABs def feel lighter, but not light enough to lose the head altogether.  My advice - give them a call and talk through options.  Worst you can do is sell (there is a hot aftermarket for LABs...shouldn't have an issue selling) and go for something heavier.  

I’m pretty sure their heavy version would do just fine with me. I still have the standard weight 

• Like 1

I have been playing a Mezz Max since December of 2023.  I chose it over the regular Mezz due to it only being 20% larger and the size is not even noticeable.  It is more forgiving and I love the way it sets up to the ball.  I got mine with the TPT shaft and I am a big believer in the TPT shafts, especially in the putter.  The 2 degree pistol grip is by far my favorite.