Kohler - October 2023

smeech8000

Hi gang - I just booked a trip up to Kohler for a group of 8 next October, we did the To Dye Four package.  Looking for comments, recommendations, etc. if anyone has anything to share from previous trips.

Based on what I've read the travel is pretty easy, probably most of us will fly into MKE and rent a car.  I've thought about coming in Wednesday morning and hitting a round on the way in... possibly Erin Hills or the Bull, or maybe one in our group can get four of us on Milwauke CC. 

Anyhoo, here's our primary itinerary:

Thursday 10/5

- Warmup round at Baths 11:30/11:42

- WS Irish 1:40/1:50

Friday 10/6

- WS Straits 11:40/11:50

Saturday

- BWR Meadow Valleys 9:10/9:20

- BWR River 1:40/1:50

Lodging is at Inn on Woodlake.  Read a lot of feedback here about how American Club is not worth the upcharge if the Department of War isn't coming along... this is a boys trip so we'd rather drop the extra coin on dining and extracurricular activities.  Plus the putting green out back looks pretty fun.

Questions/Concerns:

1) Running out of daylight on the 1:40/1:50 times - Technically the 1:40 is a non-twilight slot, but we're on the cusp.  I'm not worried about us being able to play in <5 hours, but the groups in front of us will dictate pace... any idea what typical pace is on these courses?  I know the Straits course is probably the slowest but we have plenty of daylight for that round so not an issue.  But the Irish round and both rounds at BWR are going to be pressed.  Think we can make it?

2) Transporting clubs - have not had an issue with checking bags in the past, however I always worry when there is a connection involved.  Granted, we wouldn't be able to do shipsticks, etc. if we hit a bonus round on Wednesday coming in so this may be a moot point.  Unfortunately most of us come in from CLE and it's nigh impossible to get a direct flight into any city that's not a hub anymore. 😖

3) Recommendations on dining - lots of options on-site, looks like the American Club restaurants are the best.  Is there a big difference among those?  We're also open to getting off the reservation, if anything good in Sheboygan/Sheboygan Falls.

4) Anything I haven't thought of, which I'm sure there's a lot. 😂

Thanks in advance!

40 minutes ago, smeech8000 said:

Questions/Concerns:

1) Running out of daylight on the 1:40/1:50 times - Technically the 1:40 is a non-twilight slot, but we're on the cusp.  I'm not worried about us being able to play in <5 hours, but the groups in front of us will dictate pace... any idea what typical pace is on these courses?  I know the Straits course is probably the slowest but we have plenty of daylight for that round so not an issue.  But the Irish round and both rounds at BWR are going to be pressed.  Think we can make it?

2) Transporting clubs - have not had an issue with checking bags in the past, however I always worry when there is a connection involved.  Granted, we wouldn't be able to do shipsticks, etc. if we hit a bonus round on Wednesday coming in so this may be a moot point.  Unfortunately most of us come in from CLE and it's nigh impossible to get a direct flight into any city that's not a hub anymore. 😖

3) Recommendations on dining - lots of options on-site, looks like the American Club restaurants are the best.  Is there a big difference among those?  We're also open to getting off the reservation, if anything good in Sheboygan/Sheboygan Falls.

4) Anything I haven't thought of, which I'm sure there's a lot. 😂

1) Depends on when in October. Early October (first week or so) you should be okay. Late October you'll be pushing it especially if it's overcast. Anything over a 4 1/4 -4 1/2 round that time of the month and you might be trying to finish in the dark. FYI sunset in late October is before 6 pm.

2) If you fly then you really don't have another choice right? I also worry about taking my clubs if I have connecting flight. Personally, if I was coming from Cleveland I'd probably just drive especially if you're wanting to play an additional round somewhere. It's what like 7-8ish hours? That really isn't all that bad considering if you fly you'll still have to rent a car big enough to hold multiple sets of luggage and clubs and drive an hour. FYI on shipsticks... unless you want to pay $300+ for next day or 2nd day shipping, be prepared to not have you clubs for 4-5 days both before and after your trip.

3) No comment. I try to stay away from giving food recs because you never know how it is at a different point in time 🤣

4) Take a caddie a Straits and make sure you bring enough cash to tip them with after the round.

1. As far as daylight goes, you might be pushing it...kind of luck of the draw regarding the groups out ahead of you. On a sunny day you probably have until 630p or so before it starts getting difficult. On the first day, if there is any way you can get your full round swapped to the morning, then do the Baths in the late afternoon, that would probably be ideal. I would rather struggle with daylight on a par 3 course with a few drinks in hand than during a full round.

2. From Cleveland I don't think I would fly in to MKE, considering there are no direct flights. You are looking at connections with your golf clubs, and the time you spend flying (4.5 hours) + getting to the airport (2 hours) + getting bags/rental car (1 hour), you are probably looking at about the same time as just driving (~8 hours). The other option would be flying in to ORD, where I am sure you could find direct flights. ORD to Whistling would be about 1-1.5 hours longer than MKE depending on time of day and traffic. But again, with an 8 hour drive (and a group of you going to share the driving load) I would probably just drive. The cost savings of a group driving together would probably be pretty nice too.

3. Sheboygan is not exactly a bustling metropolis, so if you're just looking to hang out and have some good food you can't go wrong at any of the Kohler properties. We tried to go out one night in Sheboygan and the only bar that was open was an 'alternative' bar that was having a drag show. We ended up having a blast there (that's a whole different story), but I don't think you will be missing a whole lot if you stay on property versus heading to Sheboygan.

4. You will obviously be aware of this booking a trip to Wisconsin in early Fall, but make sure you bring your warm weather gear! The mornings might be in the 30s which also brings the risk of frost delays. But if you get lucky you will have spectacular weather along with some great colors in the trees (not so much at Whistling, but definitely at BWR).

Edited by snpcrk121

Huge fan of Kohler (not just for the golf).  Inn on Woodlake is real nice, the bathrooms will be perfect.  The putting green out back is actually in very good shape and is challenging with the slopes.  Blackwolf Run restaurant is excellent for food and ambiance but you can't go wrong in Kohler with food.  There is a restaurant walkable from Inn on Woodlake (Tavern on Woodlake) that is good as well.

Sheboygan has 3 Sheeps if your group is into breweries.  There are plenty of restaurants over by Blue Harbor resort if you want to head to Sheboygan otherwise you will be perfectly fine in Kohler with food, especially since you have access to the free trolley system (priceless).

I’m going to Sheboygan in about a week (2nd time there) and I am only doing one round for “twilight” which is the Meadows course at BWR because I’ve heard that Rivers is the better course, so we did a morning round there. If you can play the Bull, play it. Well worth it IMHO. 3 sheep’s is a good local brewery there. If you’re in Sheboygan, try a place called Schulz’s. It’s a little burger place that has been there forever and is really good! 

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

2 hours ago, snpcrk121 said:

1. As far as daylight goes, you might be pushing it...kind of luck of the draw regarding the groups out ahead of you. On a sunny day you probably have until 630p or so before it starts getting difficult. On the first day, if there is any way you can get your full round swapped to the morning, then do the Baths in the late afternoon, that would probably be ideal. I would rather struggle with daylight on a par 3 course with a few drinks in hand than during a full round.

I agree, if the available times permit this arrangement I would also prefer to do the Baths at the end of the day, however it does not.  I was really surprised to see the times that picked over considering we're basically a full year out at this point, but it is what it is.  I know Bandon is probably going to open up 2024 sometime soon... that's just how big-name resort golf booking is at this point in time.

I was hoping someone could lend some experience with what the actual pace of play is on these courses.  If anything, cold temps should work out in our favor as groups are far more likely to dilly-dally in 75 degree weather compared to 55.

3 hours ago, snpcrk121 said:

2. From Cleveland I don't think I would fly in to MKE, considering there are no direct flights. You are looking at connections with your golf clubs, and the time you spend flying (4.5 hours) + getting to the airport (2 hours) + getting bags/rental car (1 hour), you are probably looking at about the same time as just driving (~8 hours). The other option would be flying in to ORD, where I am sure you could find direct flights. ORD to Whistling would be about 1-1.5 hours longer than MKE depending on time of day and traffic. But again, with an 8 hour drive (and a group of you going to share the driving load) I would probably just drive. The cost savings of a group driving together would probably be pretty nice too.

Yeah, had also toyed with the notion of driving up.  Not crazy about the idea of driving through Chicago but not the worst thing and actually removes a lot of variables.  As they say, "time to spare, go by air" plus the luggage is safer.

37 minutes ago, Shipwreck said:

I’m going to Sheboygan in about a week (2nd time there) and I am only doing one round for “twilight” which is the Meadows course at BWR because I’ve heard that Rivers is the better course, so we did a morning round there. If you can play the Bull, play it. Well worth it IMHO. 3 sheep’s is a good local brewery there. If you’re in Sheboygan, try a place called Schulz’s. It’s a little burger place that has been there forever and is really good! 

Thanks SW, I noticed your topic and am staying tuned to see how your trip turns out!  Hope you have great conditions, weather, and pace of play! 😉

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, smeech8000 said:

I agree, if the available times permit this arrangement I would also prefer to do the Baths at the end of the day, however it does not.  I was really surprised to see the times that picked over considering we're basically a full year out at this point, but it is what it is.  I know Bandon is probably going to open up 2024 sometime soon... that's just how big-name resort golf booking is at this point in time.

I was hoping someone could lend some experience with what the actual pace of play is on these courses.  If anything, cold temps should work out in our favor as groups are far more likely to dilly-dally in 75 degree weather compared to 55.

Yes, it is pretty wild how impossible it is to get a tee time at the top of the line resorts, even a year+ out. We have had pretty great luck in getting our tee times improved by calling every few months leading up as large groups booking things this early will inevitably have cancellations, so stay patient and stay on the ball!

I have only been in May and September. The May trip had spectacular pace of play (sub 4 hours for everything but the Straits), but that was due to some pretty miserable weather. As you mention, when the weather gets cold most people aren't going to be dilly dallying quite as much.

But even during a busy September all pace was under 4.5 for everything but the Straits course, which was closer to 5 hours...it is a pretty long walking course and for the most part people aren't looking to fly through their round out there. In October I would think pace will skew towards the faster side of things.

22 minutes ago, smeech8000 said:

Not crazy about the idea of driving through Chicago but not the worst thing and actually removes a lot of variables.

Driving through Chicago isn't too bad. There will of course be some traffic depending on time of day, but find the worst of it is typically in Indiana. That being said if you want to drive and really want to avoid Chicago, you could take the route through Michigan to Muskegon, where you would board a ferry (with your car) and travel across the lake to Milwaukee. I have never done this, and it would probably be more difficult/more time than just driving through Chicago, but it does seem like a (potentially) cool experience.

image.png.72259affd61755e2b7fc9de5c9dabf64.png

1 hour ago, smeech8000 said:

Thanks SW, I noticed your topic and am staying tuned to see how your trip turns out!  Hope you have great conditions, weather, and pace of play! 😉

I’ll keep you posted for sure!

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

• 2 weeks later...

Sheboygan has some great Italian food if you're into that

Stefano's

Lino

Il Ritrovo (woodfire pizza)

Otherwise you really can't go wrong with any of the restaurants in Kohler (Immigrant Room, Horse & Plow, Tavern on Woodlake)

I'm giving the twilight at the Straits a try on Monday. I have the 1:40 slot with a 4-some... I'll play in the dark if I have to finish, but I'll let you know after

Edited by jwhite86
  • Like 2

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

Played Straits yesterday and 9 holes on Irish. Both courses were in fantastic conditions. Greens ran 11ish. Perfect conditions. Playing BWR courses today and tomorrow. 

• Like 3

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

Stopped by Blackwood Run on Friday to hit the pro shop.  Looked like a wonderful weekend to be up in Kohler for golf.

• Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9 degrees

Callaway X-Hot 3 Wood  14.5 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 18 degrees

Callaway Apex 4 Hybrid 21 degrees

Callaway Super Hybrid 24 degrees

Titleist T100  5-PW

Titleist Vokey SM6  52,58

Scotty Cameron California Coronado

1 hour ago, TBone0576 said:

Stopped by Blackwood Run on Friday to hit the pro shop.  Looked like a wonderful weekend to be up in Kohler for golf.

Can confirm. BWR Meadow Valleys was in absolutely prime shape today. Greens were pure and running 12+. Fairways were lush. Wind was absolutely brutal!!!! Those Par 3 holes are no joke! 

• Like 2

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I got nothing to offer as far as travel goes - but I would try to get those tee times all moved up 30 minutes just as a safety net.  If you catch good weather on those weekends and the place is packed, a slow round would mean you're finishing with minimal daylight.  As long as the suns out, it'd be less of a concern on the Irish course, but the River course has tree's around the property which will impact some light toward those final moments.   Golf is too expensive up there to not be playing all 18 holes in daylight. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

Played the Straits on Monday.  1:40 tee time... finished in the dark.  Pace of play was pretty slow, winds were blowing from the south at a steady 25-30.  Greens were fast and I loved every minute of it

• Like 3

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277