2024 The Ascendant WITB Photos ×

LAB Golf Putters - I May Have Overdone It...

flubberlange

They are going to release an anser/newport style putter Nov 15 lol.  You are in trouble my man!!

and welcome to the revolution.  One of these days I’ll post a pic of all my LAB putters.  I think I’m up to 15 (6 broomsticks, 1 arm-lock, the rest standard). Can’t say enough about them.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, flubberlange said:

The technology intrigued me so I ordered a Mezz after the easy online fitting process.

After a few rounds with the Mezz, I wanted to return it because the head was just too light - the putter head was disappearing on me during the backswing and I couldn't feel the head. So I reached out to LAB with the intention of returning it. Sam and the crew were fantastic - they worked with me via phone, email and GolfWRX messages. They told me to add lead tape to the putter until it felt comfortable and send it back to them and they'd add weight and re-balance the putter.

The Mezz came back and it was awesome. It didn't happen instantly but I practiced with it primarily using the Putting Tutor in my office. I fiddled with my grip and through some searching on this forum and youtube, I found some fixes - the biggest one was the thumbs off drill. Using the Putting Tutor, I was able to nail down start direction. Next, I worked on speed by "learning" 2 reference points for speed. My club posts green speeds every day so I was able to figure out how far the ball would go on the flat part of an 11 stimp green if I pull the putter face to the inner part of my right foot (4 paces) and how far the ball would go if I pulled the face back to the outer edge of my right foot (8 paces). That gave me 2 reference points for speed. Those 2 things (start line) and speed really helped me tremendously. The stability of the Mezz helped with speed - especially when I missed the center of the putter face.

Things were good (and continue to be good) with the Mezz. Then FOMO (fear of missing out) kicked in. If the Mezz was stable but the Mezz Max was more stable, wouldn't that be better? Of course! So I ordered a Mezz Max.  I wanted to know what was I missing. 

The wait for the Mezz Max was supposed to be 4-6 months and FOMO went into overdrive. I heard that the DF was super stable. I had to find out so I bought a DF on the LAB outlet page when one popped up with my specs. I ordered it and it arrived in about a week.

I played 2 rounds with the DF and it's nuts. It's so damn stable. It's almost surreal how easy it is to get the ball started on the intended line. I can literally strike the ball on the toe or the heel and the ball will still go through the gates/balls of the Putting Tutor. Speed control wasn't an issue either. The only thing is it's just so damn big. I carry a really small bag so the thing looks a bit strange in my bag. 

The Mezz Max hasn't even been out on the course yet but from my indoor testing/practicing, it's somewhere between the DF and the Mezz in terms of stability.

My plan moving forward - if the round matters (Team Play, tournament, etc.), I'll use the DF. For other rounds, I'll use the Mezz Max and leave the Mezz in the office for practice. I think this is a good plan because the putters will feel threatened if they don't perform. LOL. 

I've begun selling off my Scotty Camerons.

Hopefully, LAB doesn't release a new putter any time soon...

IMG_5004.jpeg

The DF from a technical standpoint IS the most advanced putter in the world so your experience checks out! I do have some bad news though...You'll see it November 15...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, labgolf said:

The DF from a technical standpoint IS the most advanced putter in the world so your experience checks out! I do have some bad news though...You'll see it November 15...

Oh my. I'm screwed. LOL.

Where does the new putter fall in terms of stability as it relates to the DF, Mezz, Mezz Max?

@labgolf

I have an open order for a B2 that is yet to ship. Any way this can pause until the 15th to see about the blade

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

^^^ this is what should sell them more putters.  Still ugly, but more traditional. Hopefully they aren't 500 USD aswell. 

• Like 1

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50 54 58

BBFandCo Roulette
MannKrafted Carbon Rattler XL
TP Mills Stainless Softtail
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

1 hour ago, labgolf said:

I would email [email protected] ASAP about it

Just wanted to say that I reached out over email yesterday and your team is great. Thank you

• Like 1

TSR3 9* - Diamana WB 63X

Mini Burner 13.5* - HZRDUS 4G 70 6.5

Cobra Radspeed Tour 5W - LAGP Trono 7S 

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 19* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

Srixon ZXU 4 23* - MMT 105 

ZX7 MKii 5-P - 120 X100

Fourteen RM 52/58 - Modus 125 Wedge

SC Champions Choice Newport 

14 hours ago, BombsIntoTheWoods said:

Has a nice industrial vibe to it, ya I would never buy at 500, but would look to pickup used eventually.

Yeah I have big issues with the prices of new L.A.B putters because their factory seconds are so cheap with so many options.  

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

18 hours ago, 5hort5tuff said:

^^^ this is what should sell them more putters.  Still ugly, but more traditional. Hopefully they aren't 500 USD aswell. 

I mean if a Scotty sells for $500+ and is basically a Ping Anser in a tuxedo then why shouldn't a putter that actually has a technological advancement not be $500? 

• Like 4

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW 1*flat  - Axiom 125X

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* 1*flat - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60* 1*flat  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

On 11/8/2022 at 11:56 AM, manVSgolf said:

They are going to release an anser/newport style putter Nov 15 lol.  You are in trouble my man!!

and welcome to the revolution.  One of these days I’ll post a pic of all my LAB putters.  I think I’m up to 15 (6 broomsticks, 1 arm-lock, the rest standard). Can’t say enough about them.  

Holy Cow!!  My wife shakes her head when I buy a new putter🤣🤣

My hat is off to you sir!!

Sim max driver
915 4w
913 hybrid
C300 4 iron...Staff Model blade 5-P
Vokey wedges

SpiderX

TP5

19 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

I mean if a Scotty sells for $500+ and is basically a Ping Anser in a tuxedo then why shouldn't a putter that actually has a technological advancement not be $500? 

Well you can't buy a nearly perfect factory second scotty for $350 can you?

• Like 1

PING G400 Max 
Maltby STi2  Fairway

Maltby STi2 Hybrid 

Maltby STI2 Irons 

BBFandCo Roulette
Krew Blade

Mannkrafted HotRod

I get that the putters aren’t cheap, and everyone has different budgets/situations…

but.

if there is one club you ever need to get right, it’s the putter.  Spending hundred dollars on something off-the-rack that is actively working against you is lunacy.  These putters

are made in the US with premium materials, fine-tuned to your specs, by really competent people.  ‘Murica.

I do not work for the company.  There is a really good reason these things cost what they do.  $500 for a putter that will last you for the rest of your life isn’t the craziest thing out there.  I’m more upset about $8 bread loafs!!!

Edited by manVSgolf
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 9:25 AM, flubberlange said:

The technology intrigued me so I ordered a Mezz after the easy online fitting process.

After a few rounds with the Mezz, I wanted to return it because the head was just too light - the putter head was disappearing on me during the backswing and I couldn't feel the head. So I reached out to LAB with the intention of returning it. Sam and the crew were fantastic - they worked with me via phone, email and GolfWRX messages. They told me to add lead tape to the putter until it felt comfortable and send it back to them and they'd add weight and re-balance the putter.

The Mezz came back and it was awesome. It didn't happen instantly but I practiced with it primarily using the Putting Tutor in my office. I fiddled with my grip and through some searching on this forum and youtube, I found some fixes - the biggest one was the thumbs off drill. Using the Putting Tutor, I was able to nail down start direction. Next, I worked on speed by "learning" 2 reference points for speed. My club posts green speeds every day so I was able to figure out how far the ball would go on the flat part of an 11 stimp green if I pull the putter face to the inner part of my right foot (4 paces) and how far the ball would go if I pulled the face back to the outer edge of my right foot (8 paces). That gave me 2 reference points for speed. Those 2 things (start line) and speed really helped me tremendously. The stability of the Mezz helped with speed - especially when I missed the center of the putter face.

Things were good (and continue to be good) with the Mezz. Then FOMO (fear of missing out) kicked in. If the Mezz was stable but the Mezz Max was more stable, wouldn't that be better? Of course! So I ordered a Mezz Max.  I wanted to know what was I missing. 

The wait for the Mezz Max was supposed to be 4-6 months and FOMO went into overdrive. I heard that the DF was super stable. I had to find out so I bought a DF on the LAB outlet page when one popped up with my specs. I ordered it and it arrived in about a week.

I played 2 rounds with the DF and it's nuts. It's so damn stable. It's almost surreal how easy it is to get the ball started on the intended line. I can literally strike the ball on the toe or the heel and the ball will still go through the gates/balls of the Putting Tutor. Speed control wasn't an issue either. The only thing is it's just so damn big. I carry a really small bag so the thing looks a bit strange in my bag. 

The Mezz Max hasn't even been out on the course yet but from my indoor testing/practicing, it's somewhere between the DF and the Mezz in terms of stability.

My plan moving forward - if the round matters (Team Play, tournament, etc.), I'll use the DF. For other rounds, I'll use the Mezz Max and leave the Mezz in the office for practice. I think this is a good plan because the putters will feel threatened if they don't perform. LOL. 

I've begun selling off my Scotty Camerons.

Hopefully, LAB doesn't release a new putter any time soon...

IMG_5004.jpeg

Awh...I thought I PMed you off the Mezz cliff edge there with the lead tape? Now, if you get lead poisoning because of @labgolf, I won't say a thing.. cause I'll be in the same lead induced psycho hospital bed next door 😂

Seriously, is Max at 20% that much better?

I am contemplating it but right now, my gut tells me to stick with the tester Mezz.1 with the heavier head. I mean it when I say, I am literally picking up 2+ birdies per round ever since and God knows the countless Par saves with my Mezz. Infact, I never had these stats with my Presse DF, it's SUPER JEALOUS it doesn't even get a sniff at the moment...

Enjoy the putters, my friend. Glad you're still in the LAB camp and enjoying your putts....

<slings his Mezz over the shoulder, walks off into the dusty sun set like the Classic Western movies. Cue the whistling music>

🍻

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

1 minute ago, SwingBlues said:

Awh...I thought I PMed you off the Mezz cliff edge there with the lead tape? Now, if you get lead poisoning because of @labgolf, I won't say a thing.. cause I'll be in the same lead induced psycho hospital bed next door 😂

I am contemplating it but right now, my gut tells me to stick with the tester Mezz.1 with the heavier head. I mean it when I say, I am literally picking up 2+ birdies per round ever since and God knows the countless Par saves with my Mezz. Infact, my Presse DF doesn't even get a sniff at the moment...

Enjoy the putters, my friend. Glad you're still in the LAB camp and enjoying your putts....

<slings his Mezz over the shoulder, walks off into the dusty sun set like the Classic Western movies. Cue the whistling music>

🍻

Took the Mezz Max out today didn't putt that well. Speed control was off. I think it was because of a combination of the rain we had last night in So Cal (greens were slow for our course) and I was playing with a golf celebrity (M.Crossfield). After round 1, the Max is behind the Mezz in the lineup with the DF in the #1 position. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SwingBlues said:

I am contemplating it but right now, my gut tells me to stick with the tester Mezz.1 with the heavier head. I mean it when I say, I am literally picking up 2+ birdies per round ever since and God knows the countless Par saves with my Mezz. Infact, my Presse DF doesn't even get a sniff at the moment...

🍻

And YES, you talked me off the ledge, now I can blame you!!! LOL

• Haha 1

11 putts in 9 holes Saturday afternoon.  Regular mezz.  Two under par at an extremely difficult course with greens running 13 on the stimp.  I will add every lab putter to my collection eventually...  I have been consciously and unconsciously fighting torque in my putting my whole life.  This is a true innovation.  

Really grateful to the lab team.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, manVSgolf said:

I get that the putters aren’t cheap, and everyone has different budgets/situations…

but.

if there is one club you ever need to get right, it’s the putter.  Spending hundred dollars on something off-the-rack that is actively working against you is lunacy.  These putters

are made in the US with premium materials, fine-tuned to your specs, by really competent people.  ‘Murica.

I do not work for the company.  There is a really good reason these things cost what they do.  $500 for a putter that will last you for the rest of your life isn’t the craziest thing out there.  I’m more upset about $8 bread loafs!!!

Says the guy with $7500 tied up in putters, a club that can only be used 1 round at a time. 🙃

But yeppers, probably not the craziest thing out there. :classic_wink:

• Haha 3

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

Touché.  

I’m an enthusiast, what can I say!!  And isn’t this a thread about overdoing it with LAB products?  This should be my safe space!!

there are worse things to throw your money at (looking at you, off the rack Scottys - I kid!!  I kid.  Not really.)

But no serious golfer should skimp on their putter!  I’m not talking purely about price, either.  At a minimum, everyone should be fitted.  

Edited by manVSgolf
  • Like 1

I’m in the same boat. Loved my mezz so much that I ordered an arm lock DF to see what all the fuss was about. The DF paired with armlock is scary consistent.

I pulled my circle T Cameron out of the garage tonight and played around with all 3 on my mat. I must say that the LAB no thumbs drill really smoothes out any stroke but I could feel the Newport head wanting to twist coming into impact. 

8 hours ago, Haber said:

I’m in the same boat. Loved my mezz so much that I ordered an arm lock DF to see what all the fuss was about. The DF paired with armlock is scary consistent.

I pulled my circle T Cameron out of the garage tonight and played around with all 3 on my mat. I must say that the LAB no thumbs drill really smoothes out any stroke but I could feel the Newport head wanting to twist coming into impact. 

I tried the armlock Mezz Max too but didn’t work out for me as I didn’t see the benefit of the LAB tech as the putter and head are locked to the forearm.