2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

New spiders for 2023

EHolm

34 minutes ago, radiman said:

Hmm.  I am not exactly sure what to think of this one.  I would have to see the correction in action to justify that price point and size.  If I am being honest, I am not really a fan of the look of this one.  BUT, I am not a mallet guy typically.  I rarely can find a mallet that I feel comfortable with.  I could maybe get along with the GTX.  But I don't know that I would even bother with this one.  

The very, very interesting thing here is the ability to affect toe hang. I have played with pxg mallets...moving 40g from rear to front and there's a huge difference in feel. But it didn't do much for toe hang. Will 80g of front weight take a 10* toe hang to 15 or 20? The potential here is pretty solid. 

Just now, getitdaily said:

The very, very interesting thing here is the ability to affect toe hang. I have played with pxg mallets...moving 40g from rear to front and there's a huge difference in feel. But it didn't do much for toe hang. Will 80g of front weight take a 10* toe hang to 15 or 20? The potential here is pretty solid. 

Yeah, I get that.  But, in this day and age, there are a plethora of head and neck combinations that look much much cleaner to me.  For something like this to work for me (since this is just my opinion), it would have to be a shape I absolutely loved and wanted to make work.  Because once I get it set on whatever setting that worked, I wouldn't touch it again (or shouldn't).  I see the value I suppose in the fitting process.  But, maybe I am just too old fashioned to embrace something like this haha.  

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

10 minutes ago, radiman said:

Yeah, I get that.  But, in this day and age, there are a plethora of head and neck combinations that look much much cleaner to me.  For something like this to work for me (since this is just my opinion), it would have to be a shape I absolutely loved and wanted to make work.  Because once I get it set on whatever setting that worked, I wouldn't touch it again (or shouldn't).  I see the value I suppose in the fitting process.  But, maybe I am just too old fashioned to embrace something like this haha.  

Im the same way. I mentioned in another post that I need clean lines and an appeal to the eye for me to play it. I referenced how goofy it could look should one weight be in postion 1 and the other in 3 or vice versa. Hell any combo that isnt symmetrical would look kinda funny looking down

TaylorMade Qi10 9* PX Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70X

TaylorMade Stealth Plus 3W PX Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 80X

TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue 19.5 MCA Tensei AV Raw White 90X 

TaylorMade '23 P7MC KBS Tour 130X

TaylorMade Milled Grind 52, 56, 60 DG X100

TaylorMade Spider GTX Black 

TaylorMade TP5X

Just now, altitudegolfer15 said:

Im the same way. I mentioned in another post that I need clean lines and an appeal to the eye for me to play it. I referenced how goofy it could look should one weight be in postion 1 and the other in 3 or vice versa. Hell any combo that isnt symmetrical would look kinda funny looking down

I agree.  With part of the weight sticking out of the side, it would drive me crazy if the weights were not in the same position.  Also, even if they were both in position 2, it would bother me.  Like it should be all the way back or hidden all together. 

• Like 2

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

9 minutes ago, radiman said:

I get that. I have a hard time looking down at certain shapes. I love the look of wing style putters but the alignment "lines" created by the wings give me too much alignment visuals and I struggle to align them. 

But having been someone who's gone through a ton of putters the last 2 years, this is awesome. I loved everything about the spider gt I ordered with a plumber's neck. It setup well. It aligned easily. It felt great.

But...it had about 10* toe hang and I pulled a lot of putts. 

This putter is a tinkerer's dream. But it's probably too advanced for a lot of people. Unless you know your stroke tendencies and the putter weight, hosel, and toe hang specs to supplement your stroke, this will just be a putter that people play with and get the same frustration with.

Kudos to TM for pushing the envelope. I'll probably try it. But I bet you see a bunch of these on bst and ebay because it's a really advanced concept...

32 minutes ago, radiman said:

I would have to see the correction in action to justify that price point and size.

If I’m being honest, I was skeptical of the effect before I tried it as well. I had never even considered CG as something that might affect delivery, face angle, closure rate, etc. it was an odd concept to wrap my head around. When talking to Joe Ryon, it sounded like the TM guys had been aware of the CG affect for a while. 

In my fitting, and I wish I had taken a picture of the stats, I was consistently delivering the face 0.3* closed at impact (current Spider X). With the weights all the way back in the MAX, I was in the same ballpark. Duane was making adjustments on the fly, so without knowing he moved the weights forward, I immediately got 0.8-0.9* of additional closure at impact.

One degree, right? Doesn’t sound like much? 0.25* at impact on a 14’ flat putt is the difference between a make and a miss (their putter lab is set up at 14’). I truly think that anybody putting with a consistent stroke can benefit from the tech on this one. They’re going to include a ton of info about fitting and adjusting the putter, but the biggest factor is going to be “calibrating” it for your needs. If you have the time and patience (or a putter fitting) you can literally dial in your delivery to 0*. 

Just now, getitdaily said:

I get that. I have a hard time looking down at certain shapes. I love the look of wing style putters but the alignment "lines" created by the wings give me too much alignment visuals and I struggle to align them. 

But having been someone who's gone through a ton of putters the last 2 years, this is awesome. I loved everything about the spider gt I ordered with a plumber's neck. It setup well. It aligned easily. It felt great.

But...it had about 10* toe hang and I pulled a lot of putts. 

This putter is a tinkerer's dream. But it's probably too advanced for a lot of people. Unless you know your stroke tendencies and the putter weight, hosel, and toe hang specs to supplement your stroke, this will just be a putter that people play with and get the same frustration with.

Kudos to TM for pushing the envelope. I'll probably try it. But I bet you see a bunch of these on bst and ebay because it's a really advanced concept...

I am interested to see where it leads from here.  If it takes off and is embraced and they refine it into some other shapes and clean it up a bit.  Or, it may go the way of the Odyssey flipface and disappear from the market place.  

I am not trying to crap on the putter.  It's a solid first release of the concept.  I still question if it's something that the market needs or not.  

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

1 minute ago, radiman said:

I am interested to see where it leads from here.  If it takes off and is embraced and they refine it into some other shapes and clean it up a bit.  Or, it may go the way of the Odyssey flipface and disappear from the market place.  

I am not trying to crap on the putter.  It's a solid first release of the concept.  I still question if it's something that the market needs or not.  

I think for an off the shelf this may not be the best concept but for a professional fitting situation with quintic etc. This ability to modify face angle based on simple weight changes will be game changing for those looking to truly dial in a putter.

Fitters love the likes of Edel with the interchangeable weight systems already, this just brings a mass market player in to the game rather than a right hand only "custom" maker.

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 8° w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

Fairway Wood - Callaway AI Smoke Max 18° w/ Project X Denali Blue 70 6.0

Hybrid - Ping G430 21° w/ Accra TZ6 Proto 85H M5

5 Iron - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Nippon Modus 120S

6-GW - Mizuno JPX 923 Forged w/ Nippon Modus 120S

Approach Wedge -  TaylorMade MG3 52° w/ Nippon Modus 115

Sand Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 56° w/ Nippon Modus 125

Lob Wedge - Callaway JAWS Full Toe Raw Black 60° w/ BGT ZNE 130

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Double Wide DB 32.5" w/ Garsen Max Grip

Ball - Callaway Chrome Tour Triple Track

1 minute ago, radiman said:

You just made me think about where this could go...imagine ping and odyssey and all their models and this tech in many of them...

Now that I think about it, I think this is just the start of sliding weight tech in putters.

These OEMs suck me into their vortex every dang year.

Just now, KhiloD said:

I think for an off the shelf this may not be the best concept but for a professional fitting situation with quintic etc. This ability to modify face angle based on simple weight changes will be game changing for those looking to truly dial in a putter.

Fitters love the likes of Edel with the interchangeable weight systems already, this just brings a mass market player in to the game rather than a right hand only "custom" maker.

It also makes the mwt a lot easier.

Scotty and pxg both have weight ports where you can alter weight. But you have to buy weights. Pxg is probably the best at it since a lot of their putters have front and back ports. You can leave poets empty too, since they don't leave an ipen space into the head. But extra weights are not cheap after buying a $300-500 putter.

This makes mwt an all-in-one aspect for CoG...not for headweight...but oh well.

45 minutes ago, Micrys2 said:

Want to understand the nomenclature, is ss slant neck and DB double bend?

Yes! 

48 minutes ago, Micrys2 said:

Also, what are the little grey orbs next to the face in the last pic?  Just an assist to move the weights I suspect that are removable? 

You can actually ignore those… they’re just sensors of some kind to assist the fitting software. Assuming it’s the equivalent of the “white dots” you typically see on a club face when using certain launch monitors. 

51 minutes ago, Micrys2 said:

Can the weight be adjusted heft wise?

The center weight on the sole is removable, so any total weight changes should come from there. 

On TM's site it shows the putter with a black shaft. The TXG video the putter had a chrome shaft. Is the black shaft an option or upgrade?

https://www.taylormadegolf.com/Spider-GT-MAX/DW-TA374.html?lang=en_US

Taylor Made BRNR 11.5*

Taylor Made Stealth 2 + 5 wood

Honma TR21 7 wood

Honma TW-X 5-11

Edel SMS 54*, 58*

Scotty Cameron Newport 2

1 minute ago, MFBach said:

Bill Price made it pretty clear that while possible, asymmetrical weight locations isn’t really the intended design. It’s all about CG location. 

Weird. In my mind the asymmetrical part was totally the intention to allow for more weight in one part of the head to help open or close the face. Interesting tid bit. Thanks.

• Like 1

How much of this will be on the fitter? Some are better than others etc. is there a manual for them etc?  I’ve been into some Dick’s Sporting Goods store before and had to show them how to change out a shaft etc. 

Titleist TSR4 Ventus Black 6X

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 Wood Ventus Black 8X

TaylorMade UDI 3 20* KBS Tour Proto Hybrid 95X

Ping i230 4-PW Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore 50,54,58

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

3 minutes ago, KhiloD said:

Weird. In my mind the asymmetrical part was totally the intention to allow for more weight in one part of the head to help open or close the face. Interesting tid bit. Thanks.

Asymmetrical, while cool to conceptualize, just causes issues with consistency. I've toyed with it with pxg putters and it's not really useful. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VanTheMan0519 said:

How much of this will be on the fitter? Some are better than others etc. is there a manual for them etc?  I’ve been into some Dick’s Sporting Goods store before and had to show them how to change out a shaft etc. 

It's as advanced as CoG in a driver...there are fitters and there are Charles barkleys...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, getitdaily said:

Asymmetrical, while cool to conceptualize, just causes issues with consistency. I've toyed with it with pxg putters and it's not really useful. 

It's just where my head went when seeing the independant tracks on each arm. Totally makes sense though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

You just made me think about where this could go...imagine ping and odyssey and all their models and this tech in many of them...

Now that I think about it, I think this is just the start of sliding weight tech in putters.

These OEMs suck me into their vortex every dang year.

Maybe.  If it takes off it sure could bleed into other brands.  I am skeptical but who knows.  

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

2 minutes ago, KhiloD said:

It's just where my head went when seeing the independant tracks on each arm. Totally makes sense though.

I'll say this...my tinkering with asymmetrical was always with 10g weights so I could stay in my 350-360g head weight. This one could be different. So I wouldn't discourage someone else from tinkering. But you have to REALLY understand what your stroke is doing and how rear/front and toe/heel weight affects path and rotation in both the backswing and forward swing. I think it'll be maddening for some...lol. Make a change, hit 10 putts and log where they missed. Shift weights, 10.putts, shift, putt, shift putt....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhiloD said:

Weird, indeed. I thought the same thing everyone did at first glance… but you can take of the “adjustable weight” ideas you have from other clubs and throw them out the window on this one. 

A more forward CG is going to mimic the feel/playability of say… A Spider GT, which was intended to pull Anser putter users into a mallet. Forward CG, higher MOI. More of an open/close stroke or arc. 

A rearward CG is going to play closer to your traditional Spider. A little more stability, higher MOI. That setup is going to promote a more neutral stroke, less face rotation. 

Obviously the options between the extremes are there as well. So, focus on the style of putter (blade, mallet, etc.) and the CG more than anything.

Yes, the weights affects toe hang as well, but they were designed to promote a custom CG option for everyone. I get that the idea is unusual… I had literally never thought of or considered CG in a putter, but I saw the performance benefit in my own hands.

I wasn’t trying to mislead anybody or hype this thing up. I was truly excited about it about my fitting. We’re so used to minute changes, marketing hype, minimal gains from upgrades…. TM went outside the box on this one, and I really think you’re going to see this application start popping up in other lineups sooner rather than later. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bdck said:

Don't think my ody 7ch has anything to worry about, but if they get it into morikawa's hands I'll give it a go

Never understood why a pro's choice in a club would make a person want to give it a go or not. Especially a putter being the most personal of clubs for feel and preference.

1 hour ago, radiman said:

Because once I get it set on whatever setting that worked, I wouldn't touch it again (or shouldn't)

I think that’s primarily the idea. They aren’t hoping players are going to adjust their putter before every round. They’re trying to provide an option that’s going to benefit everyone that picks up the putter, fit them for it, then let them go with it. 

If you’re a fairly consistent putter, but just can’t seem to get them to drop, the MAX is aimed at you… there’s going to be a ton of fitting information available, but the idea is to find your “miss/fault” (within reason), identify it, then dial in the weighting to improve your specific area of weakness. 

Tend to push the ball? Forward weight, more flow/arc, square impact… with the same stroke. 

Pull it a little? Rear weight, more neutral stroke, square impact… with the same stroke. 

A big key for this thing working and improving results is going to be initial setup and fitting, along with a real understanding of how the weight affect the results. 

20 minutes ago, KhiloD said:

Never understood why a pro's choice in a club would make a person want to give it a go or not. Especially a putter being the most personal of clubs for feel and preference.

Because I can't see morikawa giving it the time of day, so if he does it must be pretty good.

6 minutes ago, MFBach said:

I think that’s primarily the idea. They aren’t hoping players are going to adjust their putter before every round. They’re trying to provide an option that’s going to benefit everyone that picks up the putter, fit them for it, then let them go with it. 

If you’re a fairly consistent putter, but just can’t seem to get them to drop, the MAX is aimed at you… there’s going to be a ton of fitting information available, but the idea is to find your “miss/fault” (within reason), identify it, then dial in the weighting to improve your specific area of weakness. 

Tend to push the ball? Forward weight, more flow/arc, square impact… with the same stroke. 

Pull it a little? Rear weight, more neutral stroke, square impact… with the same stroke. 

A big key for this thing working and improving results is going to be initial setup and fitting, along with a real understanding of how the weight affect the results. 

I get that. But, if I were at a fitting I’d be able to reach that same result with different heads. Unless of course I just absolutely wanted this shape. Or I wasn’t going to be fit and just wanted something off the shelf. Then I could see gravitating this way. 

As I said, I understand the application. I just don’t know that it was a problem that needed solving. Time will tell though. 

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

First of this is only my opinion but meh!

The GTX just looks off. It took the worst of the GTX shaping and just looks wrong with the true path on it. Just went on my spider and the only configuration that doesn't look ugly is all black with single sight line and no true path. 

As for the Max. Love the concept but not the execution. Those little black find being part of the moveable weight is just wrong. Not surprising every picture online has them most rearward. They would look stupid positioned any where else. And if you wanted to have differential weighting they wouldn't line up left and right. The overall head shape looks like an uglier Cleveland front line Elevado. Ironically I love how the underside of the putter looks. Imagine that as the top with a red TM logo/weight as an alignment line on a matter black top and no scooped out fangs.

Think they could have done the weight system differently so it stays hidden regardless of location. More like how Mizuno did in their driver's with a sliding weight track.

Think spider X users are safe. 

Think about tour adoption . Why did they not go to GT?

1. CG location- so why then replicate that on another putter

2. Appearance-GTX looks worse with the red model looking like a toy.

3-Toe hang being less. It is even lower now!

4- insert change. Has same new insert ( players can customize this on tour at least).