2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Toulon Las Vegas vs Scotty Phantom 7.5

Baby_Draw

Just curious who has hit both and what the consensus was? Huge fan of this shape, and lots of toe hang (always enjoyed blade style L/plumbers neck putters the most). These are both between 40-45* of toe hang which is significantly more than most mid-mallet style putters (typically 20-25*). I played the 2021 Scotty Phantom 5.5 but wasn't in love with it. Any feedback on either of these is great if you've only played 1 of the 2. Thanks! 

2021_phantomx_75_back.jpeg

putters-2022-toulon-las-vegas-h7___4.png

• Like 1

Taylormade OG SIM 10.5 - Ventus TR Red 6-X

TM 300 Mini 13.5 - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 60g

Srixon ZU45 3i 20* - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

Srixon Z785 4-PW Dynamic Gold X7 +1"

Vokey SM9 50F/54F/58D - Dynamic Gold X7 (9i)

Odyssey White Hot #6 Long Neck - KBS GPS 120 Matte Black / SS Flatso 1.0

Titleist ProV1

My putter “progression “ - Toulon Vegas > Spider X > Phantom 7.5

Vegas + Superior alignment, impact feel, grip, head cover, long putts.

Vegas - Lighter swing and moderately fast face gave less than optimal distance control.

The Odyssey 7 series has had so many permutations that it’s like 33 flavors of vanilla. The newest Vegas is different than the one I had to an unknown extent.

7.5 + A strong tendency for the ball to actually go where you intend. The combination of weight, speed, and alignment is very good.

7.5 - head cover, grip, graphics. Ball placement in your stance isn’t intuitive. 

The 5 and 7 series Phantoms are excellent putters. The head cover, grip, graphics are obnoxious. Feel is on the softer side, and works well with high compression balls, which many makers don’t seem to pick up on.

If the toe hang on these models causes targeting issues, try the TM Bandon 1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

Look at a Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 as well.

I had a Las Vegas and loved the feel, I just couldn't make anything with it.

Same with the Phantom 5.5, nice putter, hated head cover and grip. Changed grip to my preferred Tour SNSR Contour Pro, still couldn't make it work.

The new Vegas might be better with the weight forward, but I haven't tried it.

I love my Betti (2020). If the blue is a turn off, the new version in black is really nice as well. A little shorter heel to toe, claim the same MOI, a little firmer off the face with a "roll control" milling.

Crescent neck for a little toe hang/flow, or double bend offering as well as CS

image.png.f350c3c51dc1e079e638e3fd185baa88.png

image.png.e71290de52d744bf1c2885fdd0fa94d4.png

Edited by RainShadow
  • Like 3

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I have tried them all and I prefer the Scotty 7.5.  For me it all came down to feel since all of the head shapes are easy to line up.  The Scotty just felt the best coming off the face which allowed for better distance control.  I should note I did end up cutting down my 7.5 an inch and adding some heavier 20g weights but the overall feel is what did it for me.  I liked the Bettinardi Innovai and it would probably be my second choice over the 7.5 but I just couldn't get past how deep the face was on the Betti.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have multiple Vegas models (and hosels) as well as both SC 5.5 and now 7.5.  Spoiler alert, the 7.5 caught my eye in my pro shop and I have gamed it the past two rounds and am in love with it.  The new vegas with stroke lab does feel light in hands, especially compared to steel shafted putters.  I am going to plug in some steel shafts into two of my vegas models, but at 360g head weight they will balance more like my tour cameron 5.5.  All this to say the cameron 7.5 blends the looks of the vegas with the feel and consistency of cameron.  I like the straight lines inside of the fangs on the 7.5 compared to the 5.5 which was my favorite headshape prior to vegas.  Vegas is just a touch small, while the 5.5 is a touch too big... 7.5 is same as 5.5 but the shape difference helps.  Love the soft but solid feel, vegas is almost too soft sometimes, but it's splitting hairs.  I think the weighting on the vegas helps with roll, but but not enough to make it heads and shoulders better.  Hope that helps, they are all great putters.  The 7.5 online didn't appeal to me at all, in person I walked out of the shop with it.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great feedback - thank you all! I went to the local PGA Superstore to play around with some putters over the weekend. I was able to hit the 35" Phantom 7.5 - sadly, I absolutely hated it. The weight was entirely too light for my liking, it came off the face hot and unpredictable for me, and I personally didn't like how it looked at address. I almost pulled the trigger on a used one before going to hit it - so dodged a bullet there! Seeing as a few of you really liked the 7.5, I think it just points to the fact that putters are incredibly personal. 

While they didn't have any Toulon's for me to hit, they had a White Hot OG 7 Nano with the flow neck, tons of toe hang, and the Stroke Lab shaft. I could NOT miss with this putter. Every stroke the output matched the input, which is the most important thing in my eyes. It framed the ball perfectly, it rolled end over end on line, and speed control felt effortless. While they're $250 currently, I found a used one on Callaway PreOwned (25% off this week btw guys) and got a "like new" condition for $150 shipped bc of the discount! 

(I also hit the Ping Tyne 4, Spider X, and an assortment of other putters while there - kept coming back to the 7 every time)

At the end of the day I saved a couple hundred bucks (compared to Toulon/Scotty), and found a putter that I think I'll really enjoy. Will this just be a gateway drug to the Vegas? We shall see 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Taylormade OG SIM 10.5 - Ventus TR Red 6-X

TM 300 Mini 13.5 - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 6.5 60g

Srixon ZU45 3i 20* - Dynamic Gold 105 X100

Srixon Z785 4-PW Dynamic Gold X7 +1"

Vokey SM9 50F/54F/58D - Dynamic Gold X7 (9i)

Odyssey White Hot #6 Long Neck - KBS GPS 120 Matte Black / SS Flatso 1.0

Titleist ProV1

3 hours ago, Baby_Draw said:

Great feedback - thank you all! I went to the local PGA Superstore to play around with some putters over the weekend. I was able to hit the 35" Phantom 7.5 - sadly, I absolutely hated it. The weight was entirely too light for my liking, it came off the face hot and unpredictable for me, and I personally didn't like how it looked at address. I almost pulled the trigger on a used one before going to hit it - so dodged a bullet there! Seeing as a few of you really liked the 7.5, I think it just points to the fact that putters are incredibly personal. 

While they didn't have any Toulon's for me to hit, they had a White Hot OG 7 Nano with the flow neck, tons of toe hang, and the Stroke Lab shaft. I could NOT miss with this putter. Every stroke the output matched the input, which is the most important thing in my eyes. It framed the ball perfectly, it rolled end over end on line, and speed control felt effortless. While they're $250 currently, I found a used one on Callaway PreOwned (25% off this week btw guys) and got a "like new" condition for $150 shipped bc of the discount! 

(I also hit the Ping Tyne 4, Spider X, and an assortment of other putters while there - kept coming back to the 7 every time)

At the end of the day I saved a couple hundred bucks (compared to Toulon/Scotty), and found a putter that I think I'll really enjoy. Will this just be a gateway drug to the Vegas? We shall see 🤷‍♂️

I was going to say that I prefer the feel of the Las Vegas over the Scotty Cameron.  I have the H4.5 with the Stability Tour shaft, and it's a putter that I shouldn't get rid or anytime soon.  Distance control is great, and I really like the feel.  It's firm enough, but still has a soft enough feel that I enjoy.  

I did have the OG 7s before the Las Vegas, and I did enjoy it, but I wanted the firmer feel on lag putts.  I struggled at times with the 7s on lag putts, and went back to my Kingston KP1 because of that.  I was better on putts inside 10 ft. with the 7s than the KP1.  The Las Vegas gives me a blend of the 2 putters in terms of feel and feedback.  

• Like 2

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

9 hours ago, Baby_Draw said:

The nano is the closest size to the Vegas probably as it’s a bit smaller than usually #7. Its flownneck is also very biased towards heel, so it has most toe flow of model you mentioned. That may contribute to why you liked it, I hope it works out for you!  OG white hot felt like mush to me, but I know plenty of people who like it. 

• Like 1

The Vegas will feel a bit softer with the deep milling pattern. I have a Chicago and it’s got a very nice soft feel for a milled putter, I also have SC X11 which is a bit firmer/clicky than the Toulon. I haven’t seen either models in hand but the looks of the Vegas (and Odyssey 7) are superior to pretty much any other fang-style mallet IMO. And just fyi if you don’t want the SL shaft u can order Toulon’s with a steel shaft through Odyssey’s website.

Also, the weights in the Toulon are readily interchangeable (with the purchase of a weight kit of course) whereas, if i’m not mistaken, you have to ship your SC to the SC custom shop in order for them to change the weights

Edited by mjo23

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, NYYGolfer said:

Has anyone tried these putters with a plumbers neck? Very difficult to find from OEM. Anyone used one of the builders to swap the neck?

any feedback would be helpful. Thanks!

Best putter I have used in some time. It has a small amount of toe hang, maybe 10° or so. It sets up beautifully behind the ball and swings so consistently. 

5692E3C4-789E-4095-BAAC-1C466DD71A3D.jpeg

1505A08F-DBB3-4894-BF3A-591B41BCF652.jpeg

5D2962EB-440A-43A0-92AB-A21B23E3218B.jpeg

• Like 3

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

8 hours ago, NYYGolfer said:

Looks great! Who did the work for you?

Is that an aftermarket shaft?

Found it on eBay from a Japanese seller. The shaft is a Nippon shaft. I’m super pleased with it. The blacked out treatment was done perfectly!

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

• 2 months later...

If you’re a fan of this head shape, you should definitely check out the new EVNROLL’s that came out this week. If you can get past the “different feel and sound” off the face, it’s literally proven that their face tech hits more accurate putts. 

Personally, I can’t stand how the newer Scotty’s feel off the face. I practically can’t hit a straight putt with one (I’m sure that’s because of me and not the putter haha). But I’m totally buying in on the “why make the game harder” mentality this year. 

I genuinely believe that putters with face inserts create a straighter and more consistent roll on the ball. Milled putters will always be beautiful and timeless, but not what I’m going to use every time I play.

Driver:           45" Titleist TSR3 Fujikura Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X 
Fairway:        Titleist TSR2 3 Wood Mitsubishi 1K Black 75g X
Hybrid:          Titleist TSR2 4 Hybrid Mitsubishi 1k Black 85g X

Irons:             Mizuno Pro 243 Modus 105x
Wedges:       Blue Mizuno T24 50/56/60 
Putter:           LAB Golf Blue 37" CB DF3 w/ White Accra Shaft

Ball:               Pro V1/MaxFli Tour
Bag:               VESSEL Grey Player III Stand   

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/14/2022 at 1:26 PM, noodle3872 said:

Best putter I have used in some time. It has a small amount of toe hang, maybe 10° or so. It sets up beautifully behind the ball and swings so consistently. 

5692E3C4-789E-4095-BAAC-1C466DD71A3D.jpeg

1505A08F-DBB3-4894-BF3A-591B41BCF652.jpeg

5D2962EB-440A-43A0-92AB-A21B23E3218B.jpeg

what model is that? Love the custom work on it. 

Though much is taken much abides;
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Lord Tennyson

6 hours ago, newportbeach said:

what model is that? Love the custom work on it. 

It started life as a Phantom X5. 

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

• 4 months later...