The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION/LIV ***)

touch

On 7/8/2024 at 5:45 AM, touch said:

Finally it's my weekend!  😊  As an early riser I get right after things that need to be done pretty early in the day. This morning I am already doing laundry and it's also time for a wax job. I take meticulous care of my equipment and that includes a quarterly waxing of all my golf shafts and the tops of my woods. 

I have a 1 PM tee time at Cummings Cove (the tightest course I play) with Bill (FLA) and Stan.

Let's see if the old blonde guy can stay steady enough to break 80 today. 🏌️‍♀️

wax the golf clubs .jpg

Mothers with carnauba oil is great paste wax.  

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° with UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 Wood 14.5° with Ventus Velocore Blue-6R

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

Toura Golf CB 5-PW Recoil 95 regular

Toura Golf 48° and Corey Paul wedges 52° and 57°

SC Phantom X 11.5  putter

@Petethreeput that is tremendous. 

I don’t keep up with anyone from before undergrad, but I have three friends from those years I talk with about once a week. I can’t believe how blessed I am to have people like them I can call friends and brothers. 

One is flying up here tomorrow for our member-guest invitational. Another I am going to play a “tournament” (scramble fundraiser memorial for another buddy who passed away 20 years ago) with in three weeks. We have been friends 30 years. Many men never have a friend like that in life, and I have three!

• Like 4

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

Ping G430 Max HL 9W….+2”

PXG 0211 hybrids, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

Cleveland Smart Sole GW, SW

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

3 hours ago, DLeightonReid said:

Good morning!  Sorry, but I am about to make @chisag jealous, but we have light rain this morning with the predicted high in the 70's. 

... Jealous but happy for you. After my last two May's in Chicago that set records for rainfall and the few days courses were open they couldn't cut the rough or get machines on the greens I thought if I never saw rain again it wouldn't be such a bad thing. Careful what you wish for I guess. 

GR_158fbgAAgZW7.png.1043804c95ba1661251d22526347fb49.png

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    Cobra Aerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra Aerojet 20* 7 wood* ... Kai'Li 70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/49*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

5 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Jealous but happy for you. After my last two May's in Chicago that set records for rainfall and the few days courses were open they couldn't cut the rough or get machines on the greens I thought if I never saw rain again it wouldn't be such a bad thing. Careful what you wish for I guess. 

GR_158fbgAAgZW7.png.1043804c95ba1661251d22526347fb49.png

And to think it was 64 degrees at 8AM this morning and I was sweating on my drive to work, and I was a little disappointed with the heat.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I am playing later this afternoon but my first order of business today is supporting my golfer friends (and some coworkers) who are competing in this year's SkyView Open being held at the Asheville Municipal G.C. 

It is a three day/three round deal.

I am walking around the course and finding shady spots to sit and watch the action as it's quite a hot one today (90*) in the mountains. Noah,Ian,and Ryan from BFCC are in the professional division as are 3 other area assistant pros that I know. Noah has won this tournament 3 times and  finished 2nd twelve times. There are 4 BFCC golf cart staff employees and 5 other golf buddies of mine in the amateur division. Why aren't you playing in it LP some of you might ask? Well I have played in a few tournaments in years past and I have always gagged. 😅 I never seem to be able to bring my decent game to these competitions. 

I didn't tell anyone that I was coming to spectate so I am very much enjoying the surprise when my Asheville golf friends see the old blonde guy in the Titleist visor in the gallery.

🙂

Golf is cool. 

🏌️

17205385672226122897313973964717.jpg

17205386964841360574047531819478.jpg

17205387698463851018682651994352.jpg

17205388053113687039091236501558.jpg

17205389835985148232624245440968.jpg

17205391515642686400200972352952.jpg

17205393321357445887034642710872.jpg

17205407160492683042230182024592.jpg

Edited by touch
  • Like 4

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs 

I'll take the guaranteed something golf.

I had a tee time with some members where I work at 3:30 but a line of thunderstorms is headed towards downtown in 90 minutes. Rather than play 5 or 6 holes and then get called off the course and not knowing when/or if play will resume I've decided to stay south of town and hit the driving range for practice. The storms will miss Broadmoor so I'll be able to get a couple of hours of beneficial practice in instead of playing. It's rather hot but I'm prepared with a cooler full of bottled water and a delicious frosty Culver's chocolate milkshake. 

17205534169554362764112699653349.jpg

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Do you happen to have the area code on that number?

305 baby!

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max HL 9W….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

18 hours ago, NCLancer said:

@aenemated Did you ever get a chance to play The Pit?  Mrs. NCL and I did a June stay at one of their condos in 2010 and we thought it was a truly fun and challenging course.  We probably played about 50 holes those 2 days and we found it very different than the other Sandhills courses as it had some cool topography with it being routed through an abandoned sand pit.  I guess they ran into financial difficulties, closed and then sold to the Resort.  Big bucks were put into the renovation (rebuild?), and I have read that #10 is just a notch below #2 and #4. 

Hope you have a great trip and a fantastic time this fall. 

Found a pic from our trip.  I can't recall which hole # this Par 3 was but the cool thing I do remember was the cable which led from a machine on my left which was attached to another machine about 50 yards to my right.  A net was attached to said cable and 2 guys were harvesting thousands of golf balls.  I may have helped their cause Day 2...     

Camera Pictures 324.JPG

Nope, never played The Pit. Aside from the couple times we played #2 and #7 we actually mostly played over at Hyland Hills in that whole area. Woodlake in Vass was another we'd hit up a lot. Carolina Lakes in Sanford was where I kinda developed my game after getting started at good ol' Pine Burr in Lillington which closed about 10 years ago. 

I remember mom calling me all "I have some really sad news" and I was all thinking I was about to learn a family member died or something ... "I'm real sorry to tell you Pine Burr closed." 😂

We're gonna stay with her for several days before heading up to Pinehurst. Tobacco Road is about 30mins away so think Imma play that one too. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ 

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB, Vokey 50.8°F LA GOLF L Series 

56.14°F, 60.04°T LA GOLF WV

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P

36 minutes ago, aenemated said:

Nope, never played The Pit. Aside from the couple times we played #2 and #7 we actually mostly played over at Hyland Hills in that whole area. Woodlake in Vass was another we'd hit up a lot. Carolina Lakes in Sanford was where I kinda developed my game after getting started at good ol' Pine Burr in Lillington which closed about 10 years ago. 

I remember mom calling me all "I have some really sad news" and I was all thinking I was about to learn a family member died or something ... "I'm real sorry to tell you Pine Burr closed." 😂

We're gonna stay with her for several days before heading up to Pinehurst. Tobacco Road is about 30mins away so think Imma play that one too. 

I’m hoping to play Tobacco Road in the fall.  Just looks like a great layout.  Once on property my game may feel differently.  

Driver - Callaway AI Smoke Mini Driver 10.5*

Driver 2 - Taylormade Mini Driver 13.5*

5W - Cobra LTDx

4i - Honma TR20 V w/ Modus 105R

5i - GW - PXG 0211 ST w Steelfiber 95R

52* - Nakashima Black Ninja

58* - Cleveland RTX6

Putter - Odyssey Versa One

Ball - Srixon Q Star

14 minutes ago, NJBigFish22 said:

I’m hoping to play Tobacco Road in the fall.  Just looks like a great layout.  Once on property my game may feel differently.  

It looks pretty nuts! 

59 minutes ago, aenemated said:

Last November we played 2,4,7,8 and then ran over to Tobacco Road on the way to the airport the last day.  10 wasn't on line yet, but everyone was saying how great it is, but only you can be the judge.

I am not 100% sure, but I think 4 was my favorite from a playability perspective while still having the Ross feel.  #2 is sort of punishing and is a great course which I loved playing but I think if I did it every day I would have to quit due to my ineptitude.

Tobacco Road is sort of like carnival golf.  The first hole my buddy hit the green from 90 yards and it rolled from the left front to the right rear of the green (I think I have the direction correct, could have gone the other way) and you have no idea that sort of stuff is going to happen from the fairway.  I did watch a friend shoot a 68 sight unseen at TR with a hole in one and an eagle, so there is that, you can score on it if the planets align.

I think you are going to have an awesome trip.  Is the Mrs coming?  Perhaps you can play bocce on the front lawn together then go to the Deuce for some canoodling.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Petethreeput said:

Last November we played 2,4,7,8 and then ran over to Tobacco Road on the way to the airport the last day.  10 wasn't on line yet, but everyone was saying how great it is, but only you can be the judge.

I am not 100% sure, but I think 4 was my favorite from a playability perspective while still having the Ross feel.  #2 is sort of punishing and is a great course which I loved playing but I think if I did it every day I would have to quit due to my ineptitude.

Tobacco Road is sort of like carnival golf.  The first hole my buddy hit the green from 90 yards and it rolled from the left front to the right rear of the green (I think I have the direction correct, could have gone the other way) and you have no idea that sort of stuff is going to happen from the fairway.  I did watch a friend shoot a 68 sight unseen at TR with a hole in one and an eagle, so there is that, you can score on it if the planets align.

I think you are going to have an awesome trip.  Is the Mrs coming?  Perhaps you can play bocce on the front lawn together then go to the Deuce for some canoodling.

Yeah, I figure Tobacco Road will have a similar feel to Wolf Creek - everything I've seen and read tells me it's totally nuts. 

Me and dad played #2 for the last time in ... '95 I think it was. Might have been '96. Did #7 too and I really wanted that one on this trip but they didn't have any availability. #10 will be cool. 

And yep, Leah's coming! We're already making many food plans! Lotta places I gotta take her. Also gotta take her to 2112 Percussion; the drum shop where it all started. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... I didn't need glasses til age 69 and went back in for an exam for the first time in 3 years. I need another .25 in one eye and .50 in the other. But my main concern was a floater that developed in my right eye a couple weeks ago. PIA when putting but checking out the medical sights on the internet I got a little concerned about a detached retina. Thankfully my eye's look great according to my Doc and I shouldn't worry about my floater. Like many things in life the more attention you pay it, the worse it can seem so just ignoring it should almost make it disappear as my brain gets used to it. 

I got glasses right before 40. Have massive anxiety about my diabetic eye exams. Not fun managing…..I am legitimately terrified of when the news comes that treatment is needed. Treatment in my case is quite…..unpleasant. 

My natural nerves about medical procedures have increased a thousandfold post-accident. Tough to deal with. 

• Sad 1

Ping G430 Max HL 9W….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

@chisag and @aenemated or anyone else that does the following.

I think you both have mentioned that you use air to do grips.  I want to try this method to test a different size grip.  So my questions.  1) what size masking tape do you use? 2) do you use multiple wraps since I think grip tape is thicker than masking tape?  3) do you put any solvent on to help start the process or lube to make easier to push on?  4) what psi do you normally set the compressor at? 5) any other tips for someone doing for first time?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

5W - Cobra LTDx

58* - Cleveland RTX6

Ball - Srixon Q Star

10 minutes ago, NJBigFish22 said:

I think you both have mentioned that you use air to do grips.

... I don't use air and have stuck with what I know. I have a grip remover that works just fine and I can re-use my grips if needed. I have always wanted to try air, but never got around to it. Good luck! 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, NJBigFish22 said:

I think you both have mentioned that you use air to do grips.  I want to try this method to test a different size grip.  So my questions.  1) what size masking tape do you use? 2) do you use multiple wraps since I think grip tape is thicker than masking tape?  3) do you put any solvent on to help start the process or lube to make easier to push on?  4) what psi do you normally set the compressor at? 5) any other tips for someone doing for first time?

Ryan uses a steel poker bar with a little solvent on it to wiggle the old grip free first. The rod/bar has a T shaped plastic handle. It looks like a Kabob grilling rod with a handle. He doesn't use compressed air. I always watch Ryan do my grips. I am fortunate that I have a golf buddy who does my regripping perfectly every time. 

Edited by touch
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, touch said:

I am fortunate that I have a golf buddy who does my regripping perfectly every time. 

... So true. I don't trust anyone with my clubs. I am a free spirited right brain actor and my work station is messy but when it comes to my clubs, I am very meticulous. Same when I do any work for friends. It has to be perfect. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, NJBigFish22 said:

1 - I just use plain ol 3M masking tape. 

2 - Only grip I build up any is my putter after I switched back to the OG Ping grip 

3 - Yep, I'll put a little bit on the tip

4 - 65psi. The one I use isn't anything fancy; it's just a Husky bicycle tire pump. Gets the job done just fine.

5 - Not really! It's pretty straightforward honestly. I just pop the club in the golf works shaft puller that's in my vice; cut the tape to length and apply, dip the grip tip in some solvent and get it just on the shaft, put the air pump tip in the hole at the butt of the shaft and fire up the pump. Slides right on. 

I don't care for any grip alignment markings - I play GolfPride TV 360s on everything - so I don't even have to bother with lining anything up. But it'd be pretty easy since once the grip butt is flush with the shaft butt; it's kinda "floating" over the shaft so real easy to turn to align anything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, chisag said:

... So true. I don't trust anyone with my clubs. I am a free spirited right brain actor and my work station is messy but when it comes to my clubs, I am very meticulous. Same when I do any work for friends. It has to be perfect. 

I hear ya chisag. Grips must be installed "just right". Ain't nobody got time for some half as* shoddy job. 

It's 80* and humid here at midnight. There is no normal overnight comfortable cool down tonight in the AVL. Ugh to the middle of July.  

1 hour ago, NJBigFish22 said:

I have nothing to add to aenemated's reply.  The only difference for me is that I use the blue painter's tape.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym 10.5* / Autoflex Dumina SF505

TM SIM2 Max 3HL 16.5* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

TM M1 5W 19* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

Ping G425 5H 26* / Ventus Velocore Blue HB 8S

Takomo 201 5-PW / Fujikura Axiom 105X

Titleist SM8 50* 56* 60*  / PX IO 6.5 "8i Spinner"

Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird

Snell MTB Black or Prime 4.0

Posted (edited)

No end in sight as record-breaking heat wave continues

The temperature hit 101 degrees in Portland on Monday and 104 degrees in Eugene and Salem, Oregon, according to the National Weather Service (NWS). All three cities set new daily high-temperature records, the weather service said.

ABC_RecordHeat_Infograph_v03_DP_1720550858797_hpEmbed_13x16.jpg

PHOTO: Historic heat wave map

Source: ABC News 

Edited by touch

We have had a hot and humid stretch which ended today. The remnants of the hurricane are dumping a lot of rain on us today and will be a rest day from golf after 9 straight days playing, all but one round walking. I have now teed it up 95 times this year. 

My recovery from last year’s health crisis is almost complete. I can now walk as many days as I want although the upper body is not quite there yet. I play with a doctor buddy at least three days a week and he keeps me on the straight and narrow. It appears that my new normal is to be a lean and mean 155 pound golfing machine.

On the subject of grips, I have several buddies that do mine. I am not as particular as I once was although I prefer a cord grip when getting new grips on classic or modern clubs. For hickory, I prefer the suede leather grips which are done nicely by a couple buddies. I don’t wear a golf glove and love the feel of those leather grips.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aenemated said:

1 - I just use plain ol 3M masking tape. 

2 - Only grip I build up any is my putter after I switched back to the OG Ping grip 

3 - Yep, I'll put a little bit on the tip

4 - 65psi. The one I use isn't anything fancy; it's just a Husky bicycle tire pump. Gets the job done just fine.

5 - Not really! It's pretty straightforward honestly. I just pop the club in the golf works shaft puller that's in my vice; cut the tape to length and apply, dip the grip tip in some solvent and get it just on the shaft, put the air pump tip in the hole at the butt of the shaft and fire up the pump. Slides right on. 

I don't care for any grip alignment markings - I play GolfPride TV 360s on everything - so I don't even have to bother with lining anything up. But it'd be pretty easy since once the grip butt is flush with the shaft butt; it's kinda "floating" over the shaft so real easy to turn to align anything.

Thank you for the detailed info.  I am going to give it a go once my grips arrive.  

• Like 1

5W - Cobra LTDx

58* - Cleveland RTX6

Ball - Srixon Q Star