2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION/LIV ***)

touch

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... That is just awesome, you and Touch play some of my favorite courses and Bryan Park Champions is at the top of that list! Hard to believe growing up in Greensboro I never played golf but when going back and visiting my folks I always got in a few rounds at BPC (Jamestown too). Those holes along the lake are pretty spectacular for Greensboro and the only course in the area like it. I am so jealous!!!

No houses, free range balls, a welcoming breeze, and a $42 Sr rate are just some of the reasons we loved the Champions course.  We played the Players course a few years ago and we plan to try that one again soon.  It's only an hour away and it's almost all highway so it's an easy drive.  

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NCLancer said:

No houses, free range balls, a welcoming breeze, and a $42 Sr rate are just some of the reasons we loved the Champions course.  We played the Players course a few years ago and we plan to try that one again soon.  It's only an hour away and it's almost all highway so it's an easy drive.  

... The Players is OK but nothing like the Champions imo. I would much rather play Jamestown than Players. Not as nice as Champions but a really fun track. 

https://jamestownparkgolf.com/rates

• Thanks 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

Posted (edited)

Good for golfers too.

Who knew ? 

Edited by touch
  • Thanks 1

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs 

... Anyone watching the girls college softball tournament? Love watching this strange combination of a slumber party and the most serious hitters/fielders on the planet. Glitter and painted faces and songs with plenty of laughs in contrast to stepping out of the box with every pitch, several particle swings, heavy breathing and self talk and just soooo crazy serious. I really enjoy the contrast. 

5 minutes ago, aenemated said:

Staying in the 80s for The Wolf tomorrow! 

... Awesome, play well!!! After 99* today (unless there is s storm that blows in) I don't think we will see anything under triple digits til September. 🥵

Screenshot2024-05-24at1_25_44PM.png.5982468c6b61fa1836e85728c9dc4891.png

Posted (edited)

Weather here. Partly cloudy 80* with 53% humidity. The last groups from Day 1 competition are coming off the course. 

Edited by touch
  • Like 1

Forecast for Sunday's round is 75F, but the following weekend in Mesquite, we're currently looking at 99/95/94/97, Fri-Mon.   

• Haha 1

Callaway Paradym 10.5* / Autoflex Dumina SF505

TM SIM2 Max 3HL 16.5* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

TM M1 5W 19* / Kuro Kage TiNi 70S

Ping G425 5H 26* / Ventus Velocore Blue HB 8S

Takomo 201 5-PW / Fujikura Axiom 105X

Titleist SM8 50* / New Level SPN VS 56* 60* / PX IO 6.5 "8i Spinner"

Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird

Snell MTB Black or Prime 4.0

Posted (edited)

We had an 11am tee time and it was still overcast when we tee’d off, so I was hoping it would stay that way. Humidity was probably 70% and of course the sun came out right as we started the back 9. Temp was in the low to mid 90s, heat index over 100. But it must have helped me. After an awful 47 on the front, I shot a 41 on a more difficult back for an 88. Didn’t think I had a chance of breaking 90 at the turn, so I was happy with the score.

Only hit 5/14 fairways and 4/18 GIR, but 29 putts. The missed fairways cost me several strokes, as they should. Had to punch out of trees at least 4 times, including on #9, where I still salvaged bogey.

So I truly enjoy this course, and it’s less than a mile from my front door. But today was my 2nd poor service experience in a row. Senior rate is $49 M-F, clearly stated on the website. Played on a Friday here a couple of weeks ago and paid the senior rate. Today, I’m told the rate is $75. I push back and the guy says Friday rates are different. My phone is in the cart, so I don’t bother to go get it and I just pay, thinking I must have missed something. I get home and check - sure enough $49 senior rate. The last time we played, our rate was part of a special that included a free beer. We go to get our beers at the turn, and the bartender tells us that it’s only a 50% discount, not free. We all have our receipts which all say “includes 1 beer”. Doesn’t say includes 1/2 a beer. He says it was rung up wrong and tells us we need to go to the pro shop and get the right promo code. We’re at the turn. That’s like a 15 minute delay. I ask him to call the pro shop, which he reluctantly does and gives us our free beer, still costing us around 10 minutes. I then loudly dropped a dime in his tip jar - my ball marker - which is way out of character for me. I often tip when I shouldn’t, but this guy just got to me.

And they try to sell me a membership every time I’m in there. I’d love to join, because it’s so convenient, but their entire staff is comprised of axxhats. Ruins what otherwise would be a fantastic time.

End of rant. Golf and camaraderie on the course were wonderful!

Edited by Triple Lindy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Triple Lindy said:

We had an 11am tee time and it was still overcast when we tee’d off, so I was hoping it would stay that way. Humidity was probably 70% and of course the sun came out right as we started the back 9. Temp was in the low to mid 90s, heat index over 100. But it must have helped me. After an awful 47 on the front, I shot a 41 on a more difficult back for an 88. Didn’t think I had a chance of breaking 90 at the turn, so I was happy with the score.

Only hit 5/14 fairways and 4/18 GIR, but 29 putts. The missed fairways cost me several strokes, as they should. Had to punch out of trees at least 4 times, including on #9, where I still salvaged bogey.

So I truly enjoy this course, and it’s less than a mile from my front door. But today was my 2nd poor service experience in a row. Senior rate is $49 M-F, clearly stated on the website. Played on a Friday here a couple of weeks ago and paid the senior rate. Today, I’m told the rate is $75. I push back and the guy says Friday rates are different. My phone is in the cart, so I don’t bother to go get it and I just pay, thinking I must have missed something. I get home and check - sure enough $49 senior rate. The last time we played, our rate was part of a special that included a free beer. We go to get our beers at the turn, and the bartender tells us that it’s only a 50% discount, not free. We all have our receipts which all say “includes 1 beer”. Doesn’t say includes 1/2 a beer. He says it was rung up wrong and tells us we need to go to the pro shop and get the right promo code. We’re at the turn. That’s like a 15 minute delay. I ask him to call the pro shop, which he reluctantly does and gives us our free beer, still costing us around 10 minutes. I then loudly dropped a dime in his tip jar - my ball marker - which is way out of character for me. I often tip when I shouldn’t, but this guy just got to me.

And they try to sell me a membership every time I’m in there. I’d love to join, because it’s so convenient, but their entire staff is comprised of axxhats. Ruins what otherwise would be a fantastic time.

What no photo of the chump? I'm disappointed. 😁

I like your dropped dime in his tip jar move. 

Service is not like what it used to be and that's almost everywhere unfortunately. Sad, and especially disappointing to those of us that have been in the industry for decades. 

Edited by touch
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Triple Lindy said:

Maybe a cross-check is in order...

• Haha 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

I find it exceptionally good looking. I'm thinking the owner will be mighty impressed with the sign @Mrgreen36.

The set in vintage syrup bottle makes it. 

I speak for many of us when I say thank you for often sharing your work projects with our group.

You are using a clear finish to let the beauty of the wood come through correct? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, touch said:

I find it exceptionally good looking. I'm thinking the owner will be mighty impressed with the sign @Mrgreen36.

The set in vintage syrup bottle makes it. 

I speak for many of us when I say thank you for often sharing your work projects with our group.

You are using a clear finish to let the beauty of the wood come through correct? 

Finish will have a slight tone to it, otherwise one doesn't get any uv protection.  It will eventually silver out and should last 50 years with minimal maintenance.  

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Edited by touch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Back on Monday we drove 45 minutes from south Asheville down to Cleghorn in Rutherfordton, NC. I knew it had been quite some time since I played that great large golf course so I looked it up. We last played there the day before Halloween last fall. 

Down by the fancy equestrian center (photo1) in Tryon, NC which is near Cleghorn it was 78* under partly cloudy skies with a light breeze. The four of us had a solid warm up on the range and also rolled some practice putts. At 1 PM I started my 30th round of the year. 

It was an up and down start. Par bogey Par bogey Par bogey. On the Par 3 # 7 (third photo) I hit my new 11 wood from 168 to 10 feet. I missed the birdie putt but still was pleased with my newest club's performance. I pushed my 3 wood tee shot on #8 and it rolled through the rough and into the trees. We found my ball sitting up with an ok lie on a bed of leaves. I had a 15 foot opening that was only 12 feet high between the limbs for my escape. I hit an intentional hard low cut with the ball back in my stance with my 7 iron. The shot did what I was hoping for and it ran up the hill 130 yards and stopped on the collar. I got it up and down from there. On the next hole I made 4 (par) on the severely banked 9th hole (second photo) and made the turn with a 3 over 38.

Cleghorn is Par 71. 35 front 36 back 

I must say that I found the dry conditions the fairways were in at Cleghorn surprising because all the courses that I have been playing in town recently have seen plenty of rain of late and have lush thick semi moist fairways. I guess they didn't get as much rain 45 miles south of the city. I welcomed the extra roll out with my drives. The Bermuda greens were pure as they always are at Cleghorn. 

I started the back with four useful pars as that stretch of the of the course contains the 1 and 3 handicap holes. 3 over thru 13. On #14 the uphill winding Par 5 (4th photo) I hit a fine 3 wood off the tee and then from the sloped fairway, with the ball below my feet I had to cut a 5 wood for my second shot. I clipped a few leaves on a tree on the left and it dropped way short of my intended target. I made a bigger mess from there. I ended up with a nasty double 7.  Five over thru 14.  After the "El Dooobleee'" I got back on track and made two consecutive pars on 15 and 16. On 17 the uphill par 4 ( 7th photo) I hit my 7 wood approach shot long. It ran through the green and up on the bank of thick grass behind the green. I had nothing. It was in the deep stuff and it was a downhill stance, and there was very little green to work with. I opened up my 60* and choked down on the club. I hit a wristy splash shot. It hit the collar and rolled gently into the cup for a birdie. I tossed my wedge outward with excitement and let out a little wahoo. It was a filthy good chip in. I made a good par on the semi goofy designed 18th hole.

With the birdie chip in I shot a 1 over 37 on the back and a  75 for the round. 

For my golf ability a 75 at Cleghorn is a mighty fine score.

Golf is hard and even more so on a hilly golf course with plenty of elevation change like Cleghorn features. 

I very much enjoyed my round with the boys at Cleghorn on Monday and I bet it won't be another 6 1/2 months before we get back down there and tackle it again. 

Venue Information & Maps — Tryon International

111 recap Cleghorn.jpg

2222 recap Cleghorn.jpg

333 recap Cleghorn.jpg

444 recap Cleghorn.jpg

555 recap Cleghorn.jpg

8888 Cleghorn recap.jpg

PXL_20240520_185325100.jpg

boys .jpg

Edited by touch
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, touch said:

Back on Monday we drove 45 minutes from south Asheville down south to Cleghorn in Rutherfordton, NC. I knew it had been quite some time since I played that great large golf course so I looked it up. We last played there the day before Halloween last fall. 

Down by the fancy equestrian center (photo1) in Tryon, NC which is near Cleghorn it was 78* under partly cloudy skies with a light breeze. The four of us had a solid warm up on the range and also rolled some practice putts. At 1 PM I started my 30th round of the year. 

It was an up and down start. Par bogey Par bogey Par bogey. On the Par 3 # 7 (third photo) I hit my new 11 wood from 168 to 10 feet. I missed the birdie putt but still was pleased with my newest club's performance. I pushed my 3 wood tee shot on #8 and it rolled through the rough and into the trees. We found my ball sitting up with an ok lie on a bed of leaves. I had a 15 foot opening that was only 12 feet high between the limbs for my escape. I hit an intentional hard low cut with the ball back in my stance with my 7 iron. The shot did what I was hoping for and it ran up the hill 130 yards and stopped on the collar. I got it up and down from there. On the next hole I made 4 (par) on the severely banked 9th hole (second photo) and made the turn with a 3 over 38.

Cleghorn is Par 71. 35 front 36 back 

I must say that I found the dry conditions the fairways were in at Cleghorn surprising because all the courses that I have been playing in town recently have seen plenty of rain of late and have lush thick semi moist fairways. I guess they didn't get as much rain 45 miles south of the city. I welcomed the extra roll out with my drives. The Bermuda greens were pure as they almost always are at Cleghorn. 

I started the back with four useful pars as that stretch of holes contains the 1 and 3 handicap holes. 3 over thru 13. On #14 the uphill winding Par 5 (4th photo) I hit a fine 3 wood off the tee and then from the sloped fairway, with the ball below my feet I had to cut a 5 wood for my second shot. I clipped a few leaves on a tree on the right and it dropped way short of my intended target. I made a bigger mess from there. I ended up with a nasty double 7.  Five over thru 14.  After the "El Dooobleee'" I got back on track and made two consecutive pars on 15 and 16. On 17 the uphill par 4 ( 7th photo) I hit my 7 wood approach shot long. It ran through the green and up on the bank of thick grass behind the green. I had nothing. It was in the deep stuff and it was a downhill stance, and there was very little green to work with. I opened up my 60* and choked down on the club. I hit a wristy splash shot. It hit the collar and rolled gently into the cup for a birdie. I tossed my wedge outward with excitement and let out a little wahoo. It was a filthy good chip in. I made a good par on the semi goofy designed 18th hole.

With the birdie chip in I shot a 1 over 37 on the back and a  75 for the round. 

For my golf ability a 75 at Cleghorn is a mighty fine score.

Golf is hard and even more so on a hilly golf course with plenty of elevation change like Cleghorn features. 

I very much enjoyed my round with the boys at Cleghorn on Monday, and I bet it won't be another 5 1/2 months until I get down there and tackle it again. 

Venue Information & Maps — Tryon International

111 recap Cleghorn.jpg

2222 recap Cleghorn.jpg

333 recap Cleghorn.jpg

444 recap Cleghorn.jpg

555 recap Cleghorn.jpg

8888 Cleghorn recap.jpg

Hoping to get back there real soon!!

Great write-up!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Enjoy the photos @chisag and @NCLancer.

I know both of you have played the course and love it as much as I do. 

Edited by touch
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, touch said:

Screenshot_20240524-201734.png

I guess since I don’t/can’t hit driver I need to find my local Putt Putt course! 😂

• Haha 4

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

A word to the wise.

Screenshot (May 25, 2024 7_50_22 AM).png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

unknown.png.044cf31de1015b4ec043c7b36872f9a8.png

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

.... For the older seasoned Lounge members:

unknown.png.985c2160c97f24f164cfcb31d01970ca.png 

Edited by chisag

It's a sign. 😄  I guess I was always meant to be with Gertie.

My search begins immediately for Gertrude of Asheville. 💃

Lawrence and Gertrude .jpg

• Haha 3