2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The Links Lounge (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION/LIV ***)

touch

I was fortunate enough to be chosen to test out some Cleveland SmartSole wedges...box arrived this afternoon! 

Hopefully my stitches will be removed Wed afternoon and I will be cleared for golf but with 95+ temps forecasted for the week-end it may be a little while until clubs meet ball. 

@mshills Are these similar to what you just received?  These have black Recoil 80G shafts with what I assume is the satin finished heads.  I agree with your assessment that the flange really can't be seen and they are not as "clunky" as I thought they would be.  Excited to try them!

IMG_8425.JPG.8af606db25a33be6ba9d056e38228d92.JPG

Edited by NCLancer
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, NCLancer said:

I was fortunate enough to be chosen to test out some Cleveland SmartSole wedges...box arrived this afternoon! 

Hopefully my stitches will be removed Wed afternoon and I will be cleared for golf but with 95+ temps forecasted for the week-end it may be a little while until clubs meet ball. 

@mshills Are these similar to what you just received?  These have black Recoil 80G shafts with what I assume is the satin finished heads.  I agree with your assessment that the flange really can't be seen and they are not as "clunky" as I thought they would be.  Excited to try them!

IMG_8425.JPG.8af606db25a33be6ba9d056e38228d92.JPG

Nice. That SW I believe is the exact head FedEx will deliver tomorrow. That recoil shaft is really great. I think you’ll like that one. I opted for the PX Catalyst spinner on a whim, which I like so far. 

The GW is fantastic — I have room in my bag to keep my 48* 😂 PxG GW for full shots and the two Clevelands in 50* and 58* for all shorter wedge type shots. I have 2 rounds down with the GW (stomach virus kept me on ice this weekend) and I’m really pleased. The sole means I can be real aggressive and accelerate down through the shot and not worry about hitting a digger and laying the sod over it. 

• Thanks 1

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

Cleveland Smart Sole GW, SW

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

... If anyone is bored or just wants to be amused, check out the last page 467 😱 of the Rollback Thread:

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

On 6/30/2024 at 8:56 PM, aenemated said:

Haha yep. We've been talking about it for a while and even though we'd both agreed years ago we didn't want to ... we realized we were giving up a lot of tax advantages; especially considering she's technically self employed. And I'm on the hook for "domestic partner" income/taxes with her and the kiddo on my health insurance.

So we were finally like "Eff it, let's do it." 😂 

It might have also gone something like this.........

I got a little change in my pocket goin' jing-a-ling-a-ling
Wants to call you on the telephone baby, a-give you a ring
But each time we talk, I get the same old thing
Always no hug-ee no kiss-ee until I get a weddin' ring
My honey my baby, don't put my love upon no shelf
She said don't hand me no lines and keep your hands to yourself

B-B-B-baby baby baby why you wan' treat me this way
You know I'm still your lover boy I still feel the same way
That's when she told me a story, 'bout free milk and a cow
And said no hug-ee no kiss-ee until I get a weddin' vow

Hold it here
See I wanted her real bad, and I was about to give in
But that's when she started talking about true love,
Started talking about sin
And I said, honey I'll live with you for the rest of my life,
She said no hug-ee no kiss-ee until you make me your wife-a

Georgia Satellites 1986

Songwriters: Daniel John Baird

Congratulations Vegas Punk Drummer Dude ! 

🍾

Happy Couple GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs 

Summertime is for exploration. It is for getting outdoors and taking in some scenic beauty. 

Here are some photos from our drive to and from the golf course today. Traveling from south Asheville we hit the Interstate side of Hendersonville on I-26 and then veer to the Northwest into the hills. We spun down the two lane twisty road (30 mph) for 50 minutes through Hendersonville County's  apple country capital Edneyville, NC, the entrance to the popular Chimney Rock State Park, and then the beach at Lake Lure with it's charming old Inn. There was quite the vacationer buzz in the air on the first day of July. The tourist areas we traveled through were very busy and it was only Monday. Monday of Fourth of July week though. Trivia Fact: they filmed a few scenes for the movie Dirty Dancing in this area.

After we weaved to and fro for almost an hour in Stan's Subbie Forester we eventually arrived at the Apple Valley golf course at the Rumbling Bald Resort (36 holes). The golf course was very special. Temps were in the mid 80's all day with 54% humidity. It was tolerably sticky. 

Western North Carolina is mighty pretty. I'm glad I got outdoors today and did a little exploring. 🌞

1 Apple valley.jpg

2 apple valley.jpg

3 apple valley.jpg

4 apple valley.jpg

5 apple Valley .jpg

6 apple valley.jpg

8 apple valley.jpg

Edited by touch
  • Like 2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

1. Made a Hole in One ... not yet

2. Driven a green ... too many times to count

3. Broke a club ... twice but never in anger

4. Met a Pro Golfer ... Played with Dicky Pride in a Pro Am, did a clinic with John Daly

5. Been on a golf trip ... yup 

6. Made an Eagle ... last round 😉

7. Made an albatross ... I have two, both in NC

8. Chipped in ... many, many times

9. 5 putted ... I don't think so?

10. Made more than one birdie in a round ... usually every time I play but occasionally have none on a bad day

11. Been hit with a golf ball ... 3 times  🙄

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, touch said:

1. Made a Hole in One

2. Driven a green

3. Broke a club

4. Met a Pro Golfer

5. Been on a golf trip

6. Made an Eagle

7. Made an albatross

8. Chipped in

9. 5 putted

10. Made more than one birdie in a round

11. Been hit with a golf ball

1. I have two, and oddly none on the home course.

2. Yes, not sure how many times, but I know I have done it in the past 5 years or so.

3. Yes/No.  I have bent shafts around trees on the follow through and I did break a driver when I hit and while I was running to the bathroom I flipped it toward the cart and it snapped.  Not a throw, just a toss so I wouldn't forget it on the tee box.

4. Only retired, and it was Miller Barber (recounted here in the past)

5. Yes, CA, Scotland, Ireland, Bandon, FL, NC, soon to WI, and who knows where the winds will blow me in the future.

6. Yes, quite a few

7. Nope, been close a couple of times, but nope.

8. Yes, more than I deserve honestly.

9. I don't remember doing it, but that is the type of memory one wants erased... so I will say yes.

10. Often, most is 6.

11. No, thankfully.

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, touch said:

Links Lounge Golf Poll 

How many of the following have you completed?

1. Made a Hole in One

2. Driven a green

3. Broke a club

4. Met a Pro Golfer

5. Been on a golf trip

6. Made an Eagle

7. Made an albatross

8. Chipped in

9. 5 putted

Me

1.   I have had 3 Holes in One

2.  Never have I driven a green. I am a short hitter.

3.  I have never broken a club intentionally. 

4. I have met dozens of PGA Tour players as I have attended over 50 TOUR events.

5  I have been on a few golf trips with golf buddies.

6. I have made a few Eagles.

7. I have never had an albatross.

8. I have chipped in a bunch of times.

9. I have 4 putted but never 5 putted.

10. I have had many rounds where I have made more than one birdie. 5 in a round is my record.

11. Twice I have been hit by a ball when playing. Both times it happened when I lived in the D.C. area. Once in the chest and once in the thigh. Both times I was in the middle of a fairway.  It was scary and both times it left a deep bruise that took weeks to heal up and disappear. 

1.  Never had a HIO

2. yes, it was sprinkler head aided, but I’m counting it

3. no never broke a club.  I did have a head fly off at the range 

4. Yes I have met a few pro golfers

5.  Yes have been on a couple golf trips

6.  Yes have had an eagle

7.  One albatross when I was younger and had decent length

8.  Multiple chip ins

9.  I don’t think I have ever 5 putted, 4 putted probably a few times

10.  Yes, but not since I returned to the game

11.  Never been hit by a golf ball.  I’m keeping my fingers crossed it never happens.  Closest was I was sitting in a cart and a ball hit the cart.

• Like 4

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

39 minutes ago, mshills said:

Oh yes, more times than I care to count. Damn things hurt. I got hit in my calf muscle once at not much distance. Went down like a sack of potatoes and had the dimple pattern embossed on my calf muscle for weeks! Also got knocked out, lights out completely once….that was not a direct hit, bounced off hard wood and into the harder wood of my skull. 

7 minutes ago, NJBigFish22 said:

Never been hit by a golf ball.  I’m keeping my fingers crossed it never happens.  Closest was I was sitting in a cart and a ball hit the cart.

1 hour ago, touch said:

Twice I have been hit by a ball when playing. Both times it happened when I lived in the D.C. area. Once in the chest and once in the thigh. Both times I was in the middle of a fairway.  It was scary and both times it left a deep bruise that took weeks to heal up and disappear. 

... Pretty crazy right? I was playing the 11th hole and just about to hit my approach shot when I heard a loud thump and looked unjust in time to see a ball screaming at my face. Turned away just in time to have it hit the fatty part of my upper arm. Just after it hit me we hear a weak "fore" from someone on the 12th tee that didn't hit the shot. Big 260 pound brotha pulls up in his cart and my partner says "Nobody yelled fore til after the ball hit my friend. Next time yell FORE! when you hit it and he could have moved out of the way". Big guy says "well if it hadn't hit him, my ball would be 50 yds farther down the fairway so we both lose". 😱  My buddy took a few steps toward him ready to say something when I grabbed his arm and said "if that is his response without even an apology, nothing we say could make a difference" And yea Touch like you, it took a few weeks to heal. 

... Another time my pard hit from the bunker when I was marking my ball on the green. We were paired up with two good players and Paul felt like his game was holding everyone up, which it wasn't at all but I understand how he could feel that way. He hit his bunker shot thin and screamed LOOK OUT! but I was so close I couldn't get out of the way and it hit just above my wrist on the bone and hurt like hell. I tried to grip a club on the next tee and could squeeze it at all. So I was done after 6 holes. I went home and iced it and surprisingly I only needed one more day for it to heal enough that I could grip and swing a club again. But the bone bruise pain didn't go away for a month. Paul is such a good dude and this is something he never does and he felt sooooo bad he paid for my next round. 

... Thankfully the 3rd time it just bounced off my heel. I was never hit in Chicago or anywhere else I played and all 3 of these were in Phoenix. 🤪 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Extra Extra read all about it! I have dumped Gertrude and am now going with Evelyn. 😅

I love older homes. Prior to my round I am walking around one of my favorite older neighborhoods in downtown Asheville. This neighborhood borders the Grove Park golf course. It's a dandy afternoon weather wise for a leisurely stroll.  It's 81* with 40% humidity with plentiful sunshine. 

I have a tee time at CCA at 3:20  pm this afternoon. Mike and Erik are driving up from SC to join Stan and me. This will be the first time Erik has played CCA. Good luck kid .... you'll need it. 😉

I have a pretty sassy new outfit on for today's round. 🕺

I'm very happy to be playing golf for a second day with great friends. 🙂

17199433985857761905585752425619.jpg

17199435555206827243886963399538.jpg

17199436287307100509689492448671.jpg

1719943719727158806700676327890.jpg

17199437669355223521164703950871.jpg

17199438592624028069849956958913.jpg

17199439129217508045041052519190.jpg

17199439628192790299201604137522.jpg

1719944002579933194778119734836.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, chisag said:

Pretty crazy right? I was playing the 11th hole and just about to hit my approach shot when I heard a loud thump and looked unjust in time to see a ball screaming at my face. Turned away just in time to have it hit the fatty part of my upper arm. Just after it hit me we hear a weak "fore" from someone on the 12th tee that didn't hit the shot. Big 260 pound brotha pulls up in his cart and my partner says "Nobody yelled fore til after the ball hit my friend. Next time yell FORE! when you hit it and he could have moved out of the way". Big guy says "well if it hadn't hit him, my ball would be 50 yds farther down the fairway so we both lose". 😱  My buddy took a few steps toward him ready to say something when I grabbed his arm and said "if that is his response without even an apology, nothing we say could make a difference" And yea Touch like you, it took a few weeks to heal.

F all that! Man what a crazy response. I’ve got one too. 

Buddy and I paired up with someone probably 20 years ago. Hooks his drive into the path of an oncoming cart. I don’t play around with FORE and can bellow to be heard in the next Zip code. FOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!!!!! at max volume. Heard in every fairway in the county. The hook didn’t dive the way I was afraid it might so it cleared them by a decent margin, no harm done. 

Guy was mad. He drops his driver, turns and walks toward me saying “keep your mouth off my ball” and he’s acting like he’s going to jam his finger into my chest. I tell him “one more step towards me with that finger you better be ready to eat it.” Buddy (not a guy to F with) steps in between us and slaps the guy’s hand down hard enough I doubt he could continue to play and has plenty to say too. Very long moment followed by guy picking up driver and going to clubhouse, cussing, going to call police, you assaulted me, etc. Obviously he did none of what he was threatening to do, but the golf day was shot I could not get myself settled down.

I don’t think I’ve ever been hit playing. Every time I can remember getting smoked I was caddying. 

• Sad 3

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

3 minutes ago, mshills said:

F all that! Man what a crazy response. I’ve got one too. 

Buddy and I paired up with someone probably 20 years ago. Hooks his drive into the path of an oncoming cart. I don’t play around with FORE and can bellow to be heard in the next Zip code. FOOOOOOOOOOOOORE!!!!! at max volume. Heard in every fairway in the county. The hook didn’t dive the way I was afraid it might so it cleared them by a decent margin, no harm done. 

Guy was mad. He drops his driver, turns and walks toward me saying “keep your mouth off my ball” and he’s acting like he’s going to jam his finger into my chest. I tell him “one more step towards me with that finger you better be ready to eat it.” Buddy (not a guy to F with) steps in between us and slaps the guy’s hand down hard enough I doubt he could continue to play and has plenty to say too. Very long moment followed by guy picking up driver and going to clubhouse, cussing, going to call police, you assaulted me, etc. Obviously he did none of what he was threatening to do, but the golf day was shot I could not get myself settled down.

... Some people are just wound waaaaaay too tight*. I was playing with 3 African American guys and on the tee of that same hole I told them the story. Smallest guy was maybe 5'7" and 135 lbs and goes to his cart telling me he is from Mississippi and they don't play that game, pulls out a Glock holding it in front of him telling me he would have said "Ready to Pologize now MF'er?" I guess it ain't always the big guys you have to worry about. 

3 minutes ago, NCLancer said:

S wedge looks just like mine but the G wedge is a little different...I'm looking forward to this experiment! 

Thanks @mshills for the pics.

The GW is the prior Gen, I love the dark finish. Idea was to have both like that but the SW is out of stock and Cleveland goofed selling me the custom build (PX catalyst spinner 80g, uncut, ungripped) so they made me the SW in the newer model. 

• Like 1

PXG 0211 8i - GW….+3.5”

9 minutes ago, mshills said:

The GW is the prior Gen, I love the dark finish. Idea was to have both like that but the SW is out of stock and Cleveland goofed selling me the custom build (PX catalyst spinner 80g, uncut, ungripped) so they made me the SW in the newer model. 

Got it!  Yes I agree with you that the dark finish is very sharp but at least the newer model is not too shiny.   

5 hours ago, touch said:

Links Lounge Golf Poll 

1. Made a Hole in One

2. Driven a green

3. Broke a club

4. Met a Pro Golfer

5. Been on a golf trip

6. Made an Eagle

7. Made an albatross

8. Chipped in

9. 5 putted

Me

1.   I have had 3 Holes in One

2.  Never have I driven a green. I am a short hitter.

3.  I have never broken a club intentionally. 

4. I have met dozens of PGA Tour players as I have attended over 50 TOUR events.

5  I have been on a few golf trips with golf buddies.

6. I have made a few Eagles.

7. I have never had an albatross.

8. I have chipped in a bunch of times.

9. I have 4 putted but never 5 putted.

10. I have had many rounds where I have made more than one birdie. 5 in a round is my record.

11. Twice I have been hit by a ball when playing. Both times it happened when I lived in the D.C. area. Once in the chest and once in the thigh. Both times I was in the middle of a fairway.  It was scary and both times it left a deep bruise that took weeks to heal up and disappear. 

My answers to your questions:

1) HIO - Yes, I have 5

2) I have driven several greens but not for a long time and likely never again.

3) Several clubs have broken over the years, none intentionally or in anger.

4) I have met several touring professionals and played with one.

5) I have been on multiple golf trips with buddies.

6) Have made many eagles, mostly on par 5’s, 5 on Par 3’s, at least 10 on par 4’s.

7) Never made an Albatross.

😎 Chipped in many times.

9) No 5 putts to my recollection.

10) Made multiple birdies many times including at least 5 times this year.

11) I have been hit by a golf ball four times including once this year.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Hickory4ever said:

1) HIO - Yes, I have 5

... FIVE!?!?!?! 😱 You Da Man 👍

13 minutes ago, chisag said:

... FIVE!?!?!?! 😱 You Da Man 👍

I have been incredibly lucky. I played for 25 years before I made my first one in 1997 and had been a single digit handicap for 22 of those years. The most satisfying was getting my fifth with a hickory shafted club. I am currently in a HIO slump approaching 4 years.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Hickory4ever said:

I have been incredibly lucky. I played for 25 years before I made my first one in 1997 and had been a single digit handicap for 22 of those years. The most satisfying was getting my fifth with a hickory shafted club. I am currently in a HIO slump approaching 4 years.

... Love a HIO with a hickory shafted club!  I certainly have you beat. I am currently in a HIO slump approaching 40 years. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Haha 1

What a fun afternoon on the course. 🙂

I just picked up my 828 pizza and I'm heading home. 

17199634300963324779570963285745.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, touch said:

Links Lounge Golf Poll 

1. Made a Hole in One

2. Driven a green

3. Broke a club

4. Met a Pro Golfer

5. Been on a golf trip

6. Made an Eagle

7. Made an albatross

8. Chipped in

9. 5 putted

1 - Nope. Buncha close calls. Including a couple weeks ago at Aliante during one of my evening solo 9s. Think it's #4 ... pretty short, around 125 or so, green slopes hard from back to front. Threw a spinny PW over the flag and it's rolling back right at it and the whole time I'm like "DON'T GO IN ... I don't wanna make my first ace when I'm out by myself." Haha

2 - Plenty. 

3 - One time and one time only. High school match; I was -2 through 7 and well in the lead. Left a tee shot on a par 3 short. Three terrible efforts with my 60° and CRACK over my knee and tossed in the pond by the green. In front of every coach in the conference. I got suspended from the next match and my coach happened to be good friends with my dad made sure he knew what happened that wedge. I got in a lot of trouble.

4 - A handful. Jack, Arnie, Lee (all at the '94 Senior US Open at Pinehurst), Mark O'Meara, Vijay Singh, John Daly (Greater Greensboro Open) and had a short chat with Leona Maguire following the T-Mobile a few months back. 

5 - Many to Myrtle Beach, then Hawaii, Scotland, Pebble, Bandon 

6 - Yep.

7 - Yep.

8 - Yep.

9 - Not that I can actually recall. I'm sure it's happened. 

10 - Yep.

11 - The only fight I've ever started was on a golf course 😂

Edited by aenemated
  • Like 4

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ 

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB LA GOLF L

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.04°T LA GOLF WV

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P

24 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Love a HIO with a hickory shafted club!  I certainly have you beat. I am currently in a HIO slump approaching 40 years. 🤷‍♂️ 

I got my hickory HIO at Cherry Hill (Walter Travis designed) on August 18, 2020. Eight days later at one of our Hickory Tour events, I witnessed a hickory HIO by my friend Nick (his first). Five days later, my friend Gerald got his first HIO, also with a hickory shafted club. In 13 days, I saw three HIO’s, all with hickory shafted clubs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1