2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

NEW Monte Power Shift Video - Wow!

CasualLie

Hi Monte,

The 2nd lesson with Kurt looks like a really great way to feel loading right side correctly.  Would you recommend hitting 5 balls using the drill then hitting 5 normal. Switching back & forth until the move becomes more natural. 

I just watched the 3rd lesson with Ryan

and for me doing the drill above and the drill you gave him should help fix

both loading on the right and then loading back to left athletically.

Its super helpful feel

Thank you

Edited by bilbry57
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, bilbry57 said:

Hi Monte,

The 2nd lesson with Kurt looks like a really great way to feel loading right side correctly.  Would you recommend hitting 5 balls using the drill then hitting 5 normal. Switching back & forth until the move becomes more natural. 

Thank you

I like 3 drill and 10

• Thanks 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

4 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

I like 3 drill and 10

Thanks for the quick response this video IMO is  your best.  The drills and then showing students using the drills improving speed up to 10MPH in a couple tries at the drill is impressive. 

Edited by bilbry57

On 2/19/2023 at 5:06 PM, CasualLie said:

Monte's new video is out - Power Shift.  What a great series.  A comprehensive, but simple to understand series about how to shift.  Over the years, we have seen many IG posts from Monte and others about pressure shift, but it's pretty hard to get across to most in 60 seconds, this series breaks it down quite nicely.  And the drills are excellent.

Timely release too; I was literally trying to explain pressure shifts to a beginner this morning and while I know all the bits and pieces (and more importantly, the feels for myself), I struggle to explain it in detail.  Sure, I can summarize it, but really break it down as to be useful?  That's not my forte.  Then I check my email and there's Monte's new video.  I gave it a watch and thought this is perfect for my friend (and me too)!

I know I'll be going back to this over and over whenever I get out of sync and need a tune up.

This is a must add to your collection.

Well done @MonteScheinblum!

Just saw Monte's email about this earlier today.  I'll be getting it sometime this week.  

5 hours ago, David69 said:

I think it's great stuff and well worth the dough. How do you overcome the feeling of being ahead of the ball in the downswing? When I do the pressure shift early there is that feeling like I am going to top it - or that the ball is now way behind me. 

Do you top it?

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

6 hours ago, David69 said:

I think it's great stuff and well worth the dough. How do you overcome the feeling of being ahead of the ball in the downswing? When I do the pressure shift early there is that feeling like I am going to top it - or that the ball is now way behind me. 

That is my issue forever as well

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Ex Blade User said:

Sometimes with driver 

Most people who top it are too far back, not too far forward. But anyway.

I haven't seen the videos or anything, but you move forward a bit in transition, the body stays pretty vertical, and then when the lead leg extends, it can almost "push" the ribs/chest back a bit as the pelvis (center) continues up and forward.

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

2 minutes ago, Ex Blade User said:

Sometimes with driver 

This is why you don’t actively make swing changes with driver.  You ingrain the motor pattern changes with 7-8-9 and then “just hit” everything else and allow the change to gradually work its way in.

It why ams relentlessly pounding driver on the range because if they can hit that, they can hit anything, is a poor choice. 

• Like 1

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

7 minutes ago, MonteScheinblum said:

This is why you don’t actively make swing changes with driver.  You ingrain the motor pattern changes with 7-8-9 and then “just hit” everything else and allow the change to gradually work its way in.

It why ams relentlessly pounding driver on the range because if they can hit that, they can hit anything, is a poor choice. 

I don’t do that at all. I don’t hit many drivers on the range.  I am big on slow mo swings no bigger than 7 seems like all the time which works albeit slowly.

Was just answering a question that every once in awhile I top a driver on the course. Never happens on the range of course. 

don’t yell at me 😜😜

Edited by Ex Blade User

8 minutes ago, Ex Blade User said:

I don’t do that at all. I don’t hit many drivers on the range.  I am big on slow mo swings no bigger than 7 seems like all the time which works albeit slowly.

Was just answering a question that every once in awhile I top a driver on the course. Never happens on the range of course. 

don’t yell at me 😜😜

LOL, as iacas said, a top is generally too far back.

Edited by MonteScheinblum

BERTRAND RUSSELL

"..including the clubhead, 'cause in golf this is part of your body" - I have found new wisdom today.

From the little I've watched so far, I think this may really help me out in the long run. The shift is one of the biggest blackholes for me. A better understanding of this will probably have a pretty big impact. There's a night and day difference between my real good shots (I'm not talking about when the stars are in alignment and I pure it) and my average shots. My hope is that IF, and it's a big if, I can improve my shift and sequencing, that gap will start to shrink. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens over time with this.

Edit - Well "Initiating the shift" segment just set off a lightbulb, lol. The trail hip and shoulder is what starts the weight shift forward.  This would explain why I do a bit better when I feel like my right hip is rotating back and my left shoulder is rotating down. I know feel isn't real, but that is something I've picked up on while playing. I've had the idea in the past that you needed to do something  specific to make the shift happen, when it would appear it's a result instead. I'm butchering the words but it'll happen on it's own versus I gotta make it happen.

Edited by bortass
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, bortass said:

"..including the clubhead, 'cause in golf this is part of your body" - I have found new wisdom today.

From the little I've watched so far, I think this may really help me out in the long run. The shift is one of the biggest blackholes for me. A better understanding of this will probably have a pretty big impact. There's a night and day difference between my real good shots (I'm not talking about when the stars are in alignment and I pure it) and my average shots. My hope is that IF, and it's a big if, I can improve my shift and sequencing, that gap will start to shrink. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens over time with this.

Edit - Well "Initiating the shift" segment just set off a lightbulb, lol. The trail hip and shoulder is what starts the weight shift forward.  This would explain why I do a bit better when I feel like my right hip is rotating back and my left shoulder is rotating down. I know feel isn't real, but that is something I've picked up on while playing. I've had the idea in the past that you needed to do something  specific to make the shift happen, when it would appear it's a result instead. I'm butchering the words but it'll happen on it's own versus I gotta make it happen.

Club head first then hands followed by arms etc. I've been fighting this for 60 yrs. Hands should be around toe line on the takeaway and mine go anywhere from toe line to way outside toe line. I can fix it by pushing the handle down with my lefthand but I don't like the feel and the results. That first 18 inches of synching up club head and hands with a good pressure shift shouldn't be that difficult. His video of the initial pressure shift looks like Jim Waldron's swing illusion of the shaft going back on a 45 degree angle. I see it but something else prohibits me from doing it consistently.

There are plenty of gems in this video. One  special highlight are the "hip tips" Monte demonstrating a golf swing shooting over par and breaking par. 

The most  tricky part might be the  shift back to the left during the backswing. 

Is this move also known as  "counterfall" or "recentering"?

Thanks.

I enjoyed digging out "Golf My Way" and in the sketches can clearly see Jack's left hip movement (and right for that matter) as he just passes left arm parallel in one and at the top in another.  Easy to find face ons as well with photographs out there, but of course in 40 some years of looking at him, never thought about this at all. Too busy throwing away my angles early and holding on and not getting at all what Jack meant by releasing the club when he hit a fade. 

Edited by Hawkeye77
  • Like 2

Just bought and watched. This one is my favorite video collection from Monte so far, mostly because it’s what I need to work on the most - and when my sequencing, shifts, and ground forces work right, the other stuff just seems to fall into place.  

Haven’t seen the link to it posted yet, so here it is. Come on guys, it’s the price of a cheap golf hat. I watch as many instructional videos as anyone, including nearly all by GRF-centric instructors like Kwon and Zen Mechanics, but Monte has stuff in there I’ve never seen before, some real nuggets I’m excited to work on - particularly the backswing sequencing. 

@MonteScheinblum - regarding the shaft drill, it looks like you want the hips, shoulders, and head shifting the same 7-8” forward to match the shafts on the ground. I understand it’s just a drill, but how much forward movement of the head is ok in a real iron swing, and should any effort be made to shift hips forward while head stays back? Made a gif of Rory to show how much further his hips shift forward than his head:

E916989D-F0F5-422F-ADE6-DE113E2F6A6C.gif.5f2c2ed4269a41f7e0c6c07013563998.gif

Bonus pic as I lol’d at this line:

BD32BDA7-620F-4696-B872-482407060A3C.png.2f0a0ba46e686499e5beb7b77ed9672e.png

Edited by GungHoGolf
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, iacas said:

Do you top it?

I don't top it - but it sure feels like I need to chop down on it because I am now so far forward - it is awkward.  I can do the shift all day when there is no ball there. The visual and feeling of being ahead of the ball is what throws me. Probably just need to spend more time getting used to it. 

36 minutes ago, GungHoGolf said:

Just bought and watched. This one is my favorite video collection from Monte so far, mostly because it’s what I need to work on the most - and when my sequencing, shifts, and ground forces work right, the other stuff just seems to fall into place.  

Haven’t seen the link to it posted yet, so here it is. Come on guys, it’s the price of a cheap golf hat. I watch as many instructional videos as anyone, including nearly all by GRF-centric instructors like Kwon and Zen Mechanics, but Monte has stuff in there I’ve never seen before, some real nuggets I’m excited to work on - particularly the backswing sequencing. 

@MonteScheinblum - regarding the shaft drill, it looks like you want the hips, shoulders, and head shifting the same 7-8” forward to match the shafts on the ground. I understand it’s just a drill, but how much forward movement of the head is ok in a real iron swing, and should any effort be made to shift hips forward while head stays back? Made a gif of Rory to show how much further his hips shift forward than his head:

/cdn-cgi/mirage/610045b6f775786869a4f03bbc6ea866d3e558421809bdcec86344355da3a40c/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/610045b6f775786869a4f03bbc6ea866d3e558421809bdcec86344355da3a40c/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_02/E916989D-F0F5-422F-ADE6-DE113E2F6A6C.gif.5f2c2ed4269a41f7e0c6c07013563998.gif

Bonus pic as I lol’d at this line:

/cdn-cgi/mirage/610045b6f775786869a4f03bbc6ea866d3e558421809bdcec86344355da3a40c/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/610045b6f775786869a4f03bbc6ea866d3e558421809bdcec86344355da3a40c/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_02/BD32BDA7-620F-4696-B872-482407060A3C.png.2f0a0ba46e686499e5beb7b77ed9672e.png

You’re going to hate the answer that everyone hates when they ask me how much.

SOME

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

BERTRAND RUSSELL

4 minutes ago, David69 said:

I don't top it - but it sure feels like I need to chop down on it because I am now so far forward - it is awkward.  I can do the shift all day when there is no ball there. The visual and feeling of being ahead of the ball is what throws me. Probably just need to spend more time getting used to it. 

The video explains in detail what needs to happen and how it improves vertical force and speed.

It forces the push up and back that people have been trying to do on purpose since this move became popular.

Edited by MonteScheinblum
  • Like 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL

13 minutes ago, David69 said:

Thank you - I'm workin' on it. 

If it were easy to change, everyone would be good.

• Thanks 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL

6 minutes ago, bilbry57 said:

On the drills you give during lesson part of video is there any adjustment for senior golfers over 60.

No, I designed all of them to be done by people of any age or skill level.  

• Thanks 1

BERTRAND RUSSELL