Miura 302cb vs KM700 vs t200

gstar33

13 handicapper here, been playing for almost 2 years.

went through a few sets, xxio eleven, stealth, takomo 101 n 101ts, recently was fit for the t200s with mmt shafts.

Owner of a local store knows me and said he had a set of KM700 heads.

Ended up pulling the trigger on those with mmt 85 shafts. 

My ballstriking is no where good enough to play the KM 700s i feel, and i figured new t200s not out till september.

Wondering if i should consider a set of the new cb302s thats coming out soon and if anyone had experiences with t200 vs the 301s or 302s and if a 13 handicapper can game those.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/16/2023 at 12:13 AM, gstar33 said:

13 handicapper here, been playing for almost 2 years.

went through a few sets, xxio eleven, stealth, takomo 101 n 101ts, recently was fit for the t200s with mmt shafts.

Owner of a local store knows me and said he had a set of KM700 heads.

Ended up pulling the trigger on those with mmt 85 shafts. 

My ballstriking is no where good enough to play the KM 700s i feel, and i figured new t200s not out till september.

Wondering if i should consider a set of the new cb302s thats coming out soon and if anyone had experiences with t200 vs the 301s or 302s and if a 13 handicapper can game those.

I do have experience with the T200, and I currently play the Miura CB 301. I switched to the CB 301 about a 2 years ago and am a 12 handicap. My current handicap is 11.4 after a run of a few good rounds, but I usually stay around 11-12. Definitely, a 13 handicapper can play any of the clubs mentioned! For my game and preferences, I like the CB 301 more, but depending on what you are looking for, the T200 may suit you better.

The short version is that if you want distance and tech in your clubs, go for the T200 or something similar. If you want to keep the feel of the Miura and are willing to accept a bit less on your best shots, the CB 301/302 are your best.

I have been playing golf about a similar amount of time as you. I had kinda played golf off/on my whole life, but really fully committed to the golf lifestyle in 2020.  I played the Titleist 762DCI irons that been handed down to me until I got fit for the 2019 version of the T200 with AMT Black S300 shafts. I liked the T200 and saw a massive increase in distance and forgiveness on mishits from the new technology. However, after about a year of playing with them, I grew to really dislike the feel and hated the hot and low spinning shots/flyers I got from the T200.

The 8-PW of the T200 do not have the impact tech/filling that the 4-7 do--I have come to understand the short irons are hollow. I believe this is also the same on the newest T200 that came out in 2021. Hitting the short irons, the clubs sounded very clicky with a very dull feel, and I could never tell if I hit the ball square or thin or off the toe or heel. As a low teen handicapper, that seems to not be an issue because the ball would go about the same distance. The problem was that as I improved and would make good contact, the ball would then go about 10 yards longer than my normal yardage with low spin and sail the green or hit the green and not be able to stop. Also I did not like the AMT shafts. Hitting just one in a fit seems fine, but having basically a different shaft in every club felt weird. The 6-7 felt great, the 8-PW felt a touch heavy, and the 4-5 were way too light/whippy. I decided I needed to switch.  

I had seen many people say Miura irons feel great, but only had ever seen blades or players cavity irons I didn't think I could play. I saw the CB 301 had similar lofts to the T200, and I love the Modus 105S shafts, so I ordered a set of CB 301 in 7-PW with the Modus shaft then got the P770 in the 5-6 also with the Modus after that combo being the runner up in my T200 fit. I initially ordered the CB 301 with the lofts bent strong to match the lofts of the T200. I brought them both to the range and noticed exactly the same ball speed, carry, and total distance with both clubs. I obviously liked the feel of the CB 301 better as a single piece forged iron, so I have stuck with those since. I have since gotten the lofts on my CB 301s bent back to Miura standard and have not seen any loss in distance but a little more spin and height to stop on greens.

My well-struck shots with the CB 301 go the same distance every time. Mishits get punished more than the T200 in terms of distance loss. But, I prefer the confidence that if I hit it well, it will get to my number over the uncertainty of wondering how far it will go if I hit it well.  

Titleist TSR3 (9) C2; Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR2 (15) A2; Ventus Blue TR 7S

Callaway Paradym HW (20); Tensei 1K Pro Blue 80S

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus Rescue (22); Ventus Blue HY 80S

Miura KM 700 (5-PW); MMT 125S

Mizuno T24 50/08, 54/10; DG Tour Issue S400

Ping Glide 4.0 60ºE; Nippon Z115

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7; BGT Stability

On 3/16/2023 at 9:35 AM, fairway_bandit said:

The KM-700s aren’t as daunting as you think. Should feel great with the MMTs.

A lot of guys are saying this, but a 13 index won't have much fun with them.  I'm a 4 and found them somewhat demanding to hit compared to other blades that I've played.  I'm not sure what about the head profile just didn't fit my eye at all.

7 hours ago, kekoa said:

A lot of guys are saying this, but a 13 index won't have much fun with them.  I'm a 4 and found them somewhat demanding to hit compared to other blades that I've played.  I'm not sure what about the head profile just didn't fit my eye at all.

Strange! I'm a 15+ and can stroke the KM-700s better than any other blade I've ever played for fun... they aren't super daunting behind the ball because of that longer blade length + offset IMO

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/28/2023 at 2:08 PM, m_w said:

You have to be a very good ball striker for the KM700's. Anyone who says something different either hasn't played them or is a very good ball striker. Always difficult with handicap range but I would say low single digits

Bing! Bing! Bing! We have a winner! You shouldn’t even think about these irons. I am well below 13, play with even better golfers below scratch and none of us would even consider these irons because we aren’t pros and have off days. As far as someone commenting on these at a 15 handicap, please don’t listen to this complete joke! Sure people will think you’re cool with them in the bag, but laugh behind your back as soon as you “try” to hit them (sorry but probably like that guy who unloaded them on you). Look at some 923 hot metals, t300s or GI Pings/Callaways. If you want Miuras the PP or CB-302 is more in line with your handicap (regardless of how good of a ball striker you are “compared” to your handicap). Better yet that worrying about irons, track your round and figure out why you are a 13. Do you know? How many strokes are you loosing within 30 yards of the hole? I am not trying to be mean, just giving my honest opinion on how to lower your scores. 

Edited by tlwest86

2 hours ago, NavyMU said:

I have the KMs covered, now to find some 302s, but this doesn't help!!!! That launch didn't go so well 🤷‍♂️

IMG_7396.png.5c099b4cde2977b3bd626ec966c1dad4.png

Oooh. That stinks but seems consistent. LOL. I'm in no hurry to get the 302s. I figure I have a year or two. I'm still working on a couple other projects. 

36 minutes ago, JohnnyHangs said:

I've had my 302's for about two weeks now and absolutely love them. Feel is unreal, look great at address as well. Came over from t100S because the feel just wasn't there in my opinion. 

They're long for sure, but so easy to hit. Have them in Accra red 130's 

Agree!  Have had the 302's for three weeks and have only good things to say.  Perfect feel, turf interaction, easy to hit.  They look bigger in pics than they actually are.  Have them paired with NS Pro 950GH.  Right/left dispersion is excellent.  

I was coming off of five years with the 2017 P770's, so it was a significant change.

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym TD 8*, VA Composites Vylyn 65, S
Callaway UW 17* (bent 16*), Kinetixx TS-F, S
Callaway UW 19* (bent 20*), Kinetixx TS-F, S
Miura CB-302 4-GW, NS Pro 950GH Neo, S
Miura K-Grind 2.0, 54* (bent 53*)
Miura K-Grind 2.0, 60*
LAB Golf Mezz.1, Accra

1 hour ago, McG_Whale said:

Agree!  Have had the 302's for three weeks and have only good things to say.  Perfect feel, turf interaction, easy to hit.  They look bigger in pics than they actually are.  Have them paired with NS Pro 950GH.  Right/left dispersion is excellent.  

I was coming off of five years with the 2017 P770's, so it was a significant change.

Absolutely - I played my first round with them this week and the bounce/ ground interaction was excellent. Just such a good feeling when you pick them clean, ball just penetrates 

4 hours ago, JohnnyHangs said:

I've had my 302's for about two weeks now and absolutely love them. Feel is unreal, look great at address as well. Came over from t100S because the feel just wasn't there in my opinion. 

They're long for sure, but so easy to hit. Have them in Accra red 130's 

4 hours ago, McG_Whale said:

Thanks, Gents. 

Could you speak to the toe of the CB-302? Does it match up to the KM-700 as much as it looks like in pictures? I have the 700 in hand, just don't have them built yet (I don't have any Shafts 😞 ). And I have CB-302 on order from Japan (again, no Shafts to speak ATM 😞). 

In pictures the toe(s) look very similar. 

Edited by EaglesGolf99
Spelling.

38 minutes ago, EaglesGolf99 said:

Thanks, Gents. 

Could you speak to the toe of the CB-302? Does it match up to the KM-700 as much as it looks like in pictures? I have the 700 in hand, just don't have them built yet (I don't have any Shafts 😞 ). And I have CB-302 on order from Japan (again, no Shafts to speak ATM 😞). 

In pictures the toe(s) look very similar. 

Not too sure to be honest, but I remember their profiles were certainly different top-down. I was considering a mixed set in fitting, but the 302 were just so easy to manipulate the flight. The smash on them is super high for irons so you'll need to gap them properly of course. 

70373062479__F10AD4A8-4485-4C26-9CB2-977272E1CC99.JPG

4 hours ago, McG_Whale said:

13 minutes ago, JohnnyHangs said:

Not too sure to be honest, but I remember their profiles were certainly different top-down. I was considering a mixed set in fitting, but the 302 were just so easy to manipulate the flight. The smash on them is super high for irons so you'll need to gap them properly of course. 

70373062479__F10AD4A8-4485-4C26-9CB2-977272E1CC99.JPG

I posted two pictures in the post prior to this one. 

What do you guys think? 

On 5/6/2023 at 1:19 PM, Spudgun said:

Would love to hear from anyone who has hit the cb302 and the mc501. 

i can’t quite fathom them going 2 degrees strong on the 302, be nice to hear if they are still easy to launch with stronger lofts. 

I have played the mc502s a bit, and weirdly I find them considerably more difficult than the mc501s.

thanks 

Haven't hit the 501, but I did have the CB 301 in 7-PW and originally bent them 2* strong to combo with/match the loft of the T200s I was playing. I took them to the top tracer range by me to see any differences between the 7-PW in the CB 301 and T200.  My carry, launch, ball speed, and landing angle were the same with the CB 301 and T200.

Titleist TSR3 (9) C2; Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR2 (15) A2; Ventus Blue TR 7S

Callaway Paradym HW (20); Tensei 1K Pro Blue 80S

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus Rescue (22); Ventus Blue HY 80S

Miura KM 700 (5-PW); MMT 125S

Mizuno T24 50/08, 54/10; DG Tour Issue S400

Ping Glide 4.0 60ºE; Nippon Z115

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7; BGT Stability