2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

What driver shaft to match DG X100 iron shafts

Deep Sunoji

Dear Wrxrs,

What driver shaft weight/flex do you all play with in combination with DG X100 shafts in irons. I am struggling with my driver since I started playing DG X100s in my irons - mostly snap hooking my driver. It could possibly be a swing issue but my driver used to be the best club I could swing but not anymore since I started playing DG X100s in my Blueprints, hit my 7i about 170 yards on an average. Driver swing speed about 107 MPH and above, play 55 stiff to X Stiff shaft in the driver.

Edited by Deep Sunoji

Thank you @greenomicsand @hagimihale - One thing I missed mentioning is the grips. My irons came with the Golf Pride Midsize MCC+4 and I really liked them but my driver and woods/hybrids have standard size grips. I just got my driver re-gripped with the same grip as my irons and I think it feels good. Haven’t played a round or practiced but I will report back once I hit some balls. Now when I start reading about standard versus thicker grips, the latter helps to keep the face open through impact but with the standard(thinner) grip I am closing the club face since I feel I am using my hands more and can’t control the club. Kind of a moment of revelation (already have a few such moments as I am self taught). 
Also, the thicker grip is heavier which makes the shaft act as a counter balanced shaft which I like since the PING G425 Max has a heavier head. Excited to try - if this works, I will try heavier shafts as well and move to the mid size grips across the board!!

Edited by Deep Sunoji

@Deep Sunoji  your observations on grip size are relevant. 

MCC+4 standard grips are the equivalent of regular size grips + a few extra layers of tape on the bottom hand. I made that change years ago on all of my clubs.  It helped to slow down my hands a bit, and that feel worked for me too.  

MCC+4 midsize would have more of an effect - or looking at it the opposite way, if you were used to MCC+4 midsize and then went to regular grips, the feel would likely be off and you could have overactive hands.  

Edited by hagimihale
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

16 hours ago, hagimihale said:

@Deep Sunoji  your observations on grip size are relevant. 

MCC+4 standard grips are the equivalent of regular size grips + a few extra layers of tape on the bottom hand. I made that change years ago on all of my clubs.  It helped to slow down my hands a bit, and that feel worked for me too.  

MCC+4 midsize would have more of an effect - or looking at it the opposite way, if you were used to MCC+4 midsize and then went to regular grips, the feel would likely be off and you could have overactive hands.  

That’s awesome! Thanks for confirming that @hagimihale. Can’t wait to hit em straight again!

Edited by Deep Sunoji

On 4/20/2023 at 7:27 PM, Deep Sunoji said:

Dear Wrxrs,

What driver shaft weight/flex do you all play with in combination with DG X100 shafts in irons. I am struggling with my driver since I started playing DG X100s in my irons - mostly snap hooking my driver. It could possibly be a swing issue but my driver used to be the best club I could swing but not anymore since I started playing DG X100s in my Blueprints, hit my 7i about 170 yards on an average. Driver swing speed about 107 MPH and above, play 55 stiff to X Stiff shaft in the driver.

I would swing weight your DG X100 irons then align your driver shaft with 67-70 gram shaft weight, S or X which ever feels right, swing weight driver too.  When I was playing X100, 6.5 or 6.0 in irons shafts, swing weight was D3-D4, and my driver shaft was around 70 grams, S or X and D3, depending on profile.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo Red 59S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • 718 T-MB 17 2i° Tensei AV White Am2 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW MMT 105S Wedge 113
  • SM10 F52/12, T58/4, DG200 127S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

I was fit into X100 and played them for about 2 years back in the day.  As @hagimihalestated, whiteboard profiles tend to compliment X100.  Modern shafts I've tested or gamed that fit whiteboard profile are as follows:

Diamana DF or PD

Ventus Black or Black TR

1K TPO/TW

PX Smoke Green Hulk

AD XC

• Like 4

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I've played X100 iron shafts for years and agree the Whiteboard profile generally feels similar but they don't always perform if you fight a hook.  I'm currently in the 1K Black and love it.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 10 w Tensei 1K Black 65

TM 2017 M2 Tour 15 w HC HZRDUS Black 85

Titleist T200 3 w HC HZRDUS Black 105

Titleist T100 4-9 w TI X100

Titleist SM7 47.11 F, 51.13 F; SM8 55.15 F & 60.08 M w TI X100

Byron Morgan 612SS

Titleist ProV1x

@dfeldss, Rogue White in TX is a different profile than "non-TX" Rogue White shafts.  TX has the same profile as Tour Green.  "non" TX have similar profile to Tour Blue.  

Uncut weight on the TX model is 70g.  Keep that in mind if you move up a weight class, you may not really add weight when doing so...

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

9 hours ago, hagimihale said:

@dfeldss, Rogue White in TX is a different profile than "non-TX" Rogue White shafts.  TX has the same profile as Tour Green.  "non" TX have similar profile to Tour Blue.  

Uncut weight on the TX model is 70g.  Keep that in mind if you move up a weight class, you may not really add weight when doing so...

Appreciate that info. For some reason i was thinking it was 67g (not sure where i pulled that  number from - maybe thinking of a diff shaft), but will definitely keep that in my mind in my search

• 9 months later...
On 4/26/2023 at 4:38 PM, phizzy30 said:

I was fit into X100 and played them for about 2 years back in the day.  As @hagimihalestated, whiteboard profiles tend to compliment X100.  Modern shafts I've tested or gamed that fit whiteboard profile are as follows:

Diamana DF or PD

Ventus Black or Black TR

1K TPO/TW

PX Smoke Green Hulk

AD XC

add the new WB to this list 👀👌

• 2 months later...
14 minutes ago, AbSWFPGA said:

Sorry to dig this up but I have been a happy x100 iron shaft user for years. Have always struggled to find a driver shaft I love. Have spent time with the oban devotion, tour ad di, and a few others. Oban devo lasted the longest. Are there any other shafts to try? Appreciate any feedback

Id say the post directly above yours is a good starting point.  Have you tried those?

On 4/26/2023 at 1:38 PM,  phizzy30 said: 

I was fit into X100 and played them for about 2 years back in the day.  As @hagimihalestated, whiteboard profiles tend to compliment X100.  Modern shafts I've tested or gamed that fit whiteboard profile are as follows:

Diamana DF or PD

Ventus Black or Black TR

1K TPO/TW

PX Smoke Green Hulk

AD XC

add the new WB to this list 👀👌

24 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

Id say the post directly above yours is a good starting point.  Have you tried those?

On 4/26/2023 at 1:38 PM,  phizzy30 said: 

I was fit into X100 and played them for about 2 years back in the day.  As @hagimihalestated, whiteboard profiles tend to compliment X100.  Modern shafts I've tested or gamed that fit whiteboard profile are as follows:

Diamana DF or PD

Ventus Black or Black TR

1K TPO/TW

PX Smoke Green Hulk

AD XC

add the new WB to this list 👀👌

I haven’t tried diamana stuff. Ventus black and the hulk to me seemed way too stiff in the handle to feel like a x1. I have heard a lot of good stuff about tour ad xc I will try that. Just struggle with what flex to go with. Normally like to tip a stiff flex an inch. 

4 minutes ago, AbSWFPGA said:

I haven’t tried diamana stuff. Ventus black and the hulk to me seemed way too stiff in the handle to feel like a x1. I have heard a lot of good stuff about tour ad xc I will try that. Just struggle with what flex to go with. Normally like to tip a stiff flex an inch. 

Graphite design vf would be another to try.

6/7 x if you not super quick in transition and under let’s say 112-115 with driver.  Tx is over that.

i believe Tiger is playing 6x tipped and is consistently getting 175-180 ball speed.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

6/7 x if you not super quick in transition and under let’s say 112-115 with driver.  Tx is over that.

i believe Tiger is playing 6x tipped and is consistently getting 175-180 ball speed.

I’d say 108-112 comfortably. I like something a touch softer in the handle so may try both tour ad vf and xc. Prob start with xc I think it’s softer in handle. 

3 hours ago, AbSWFPGA said:

GD usually plays half a flex soft to flex.  You may be able to get away with X straight in or S tipped 1.5 inches. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

3 hours ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

VF is good but a little firmer in the handle compared to XC.  Feels smoother though.  I think Tiger's is tipped 1.5 inches and he could easily play TX tipped an inch or so if he really wanted to.  Mine's a 7TX tipped half inch and it's plenty stout with great feel. 

• Like 1

Similar swing speed and play Hzrdus Smoke Blue 75 6.5 with my 43.75 inch driver.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 75g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue TX 88g - 41 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

40 minutes ago, dsmil said:

Similar swing speed and play Hzrdus Smoke Blue 75 6.5 with my 43.75 inch driver.

Is this similar to the rdx blue? Is it same thing? I was thinking about trying it but I wasn’t sure if it fit the x100 feel profile. I know trying to replicate iron shaft feel in a driver shaft isn’t easy but I swore I did research on that shaft before and its profile seemed too off. 

3 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

VF is good but a little firmer in the handle compared to XC.  Feels smoother though.  I think Tiger's is tipped 1.5 inches and he could easily play TX tipped an inch or so if he really wanted to.  Mine's a 7TX tipped half inch and it's plenty stout with great feel. 

Interesting you say it feels smoother. Obviously feel is subjective but I always found softer handle shafts to feel smoother than others 

29 minutes ago, AbSWFPGA said:

Is this similar to the rdx blue? Is it same thing? I was thinking about trying it but I wasn’t sure if it fit the x100 feel profile. I know trying to replicate iron shaft feel in a driver shaft isn’t easy but I swore I did research on that shaft before and its profile seemed too off. 

Yep, the RDX is what I have. I have no idea what the profile of the x100 is. The blue is apparently very stiff in the tip and butt but softer in the middle. Stable but smooth is how it feels for me.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max 10.5* - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue 6.5 75g - 43.75 in.
Ping G425 Max 17.5* 5 wood - Hzrdus RDX Smoke Blue TX 88g - 41 in.

TM Stealth Rescue 22* 4H - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 90s
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo - 4-PW - DG X100
Cleveland RTX 50*
Cleveland RTX-3 54*
Cleveland RTX-3 58*
Cleveland HB Soft 10.5 Putter

On 4/20/2023 at 9:27 PM, Deep Sunoji said:

Dear Wrxrs,

I play $-tapers in my irons but play DG X100 TI’s in all my wedges and just switched from Ventus Blue to PX HZRDUS Black 4G 6.5 seems to handle anything I throw at it. Have it in my driver, 4W and 7W. 60/70/80 grams. 

I’m around 110-112 SS right now but summer time it’ll creep to 115+.

• Like 1

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

48 minutes ago, dsmil said:

Yep, the RDX is what I have. I have no idea what the profile of the x100 is. The blue is apparently very stiff in the tip and butt but softer in the middle. Stable but smooth is how it feels for me.

X100 is mid and tip stiff with a softer handle.  RDX Blue is tip and handle stiff with a very soft mid.  RDX Blue has that pronounced kick in the mid section as a result whereas the X100 feels pretty linear.  Glad to see that the RDX Blue is stable for you because I've hit my brother's and it was hook city for me. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1