Ireland - 2 Itinerary Options

Hi Everyone,

A group of us went to Ireland last June and played in the southwest.  We hit Ballybunion (both), Dooks, Lahinch (both), Killarney (O'Mahony), Dingle, and Castlegregory.  Had an incredible time and are now planning to go back in 2024 for my 40th.  We have looked at two itineraries and would love some input on suggestions or changes.

1) Return to the southwest (so much left to do!) and play Dromoland Castle, Waterville, Old Head, Tralee, Dooks (again), and then head north a bit to play Enniscrone and Carne.  8-9 rounds total.

2) Northwest trip - Enniscrone, Carne, Sligo, Donegal, Cruit Island, Portsalon, Rosapenna (Sandy Hills and St. Patricks).

I'm leaning toward option 1 as I really felt we left some big names on our list after the first trip.  I love the region.  The suggested stay is primarily in Killarney and then Ballina for the second half.  I'd prefer to stay outside Killarney if you have any suggestions.  Really enjoyed staying in Lahinch and Ballybunion last time.

I also know the second option offers better value, and St. Patricks looks incredible.  

Enniscrone and Carne are on both lists as Carne specifically is #1 on my bucket list for courses to play there.  

Anyway, I appreciate any thoughts.  Clearly can't go wrong either way here I suppose.  

I’ve played almost all the top courses in Ireland. Absolutely 100% option #2. I went to South Ireland in October 2021, and played Doonbeg, Lahinch twice, Ballybunion twice, and Tralee twice. Last October I went to West Ireland and  played Strandhill, Carne, Enniscrone, Sligo, Donegal, and Narin & Portnoo. There’s nothing on this planet that compares to Carne for me, Enniscrone and Narin & Portnoo aren’t far behind. The courses in South Ireland get all the publicity and notoriety, but the courses in the West are just as good in my opinion. Option 1 also has great courses, but WAYYYYY more driving. 

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

It sounds like you want to play most of the well known courses in any given area. If you choose option 2 you should consider adding Strandhill. It's just up the road from Rosses Point. 

Also, Donegal is full of lessor courses (which is it's major appeal for me) beyond Cruit. Gweedore, Northwest, Dunfanaghy and Otway may be lovely little getaways from the tourist buses. These places are quickly joining the crazy Irish green fee race. Play them now before money changes them. 

Thanks all.  The additional course suggestions are really appreciated.  I'm not as versed on those in the northwest but my experiences at less known spots like Castlegregory or Corbalis Links have been some of my favorite over there so good to hear of more options.    

It's true the driving is a bit rough in option 1.  Struggled to find a way to pair Carne and the southwest without it.  

4 hours ago, sully8486 said:

Thanks all.  The additional course suggestions are really appreciated.  I'm not as versed on those in the northwest but my experiences at less known spots like Castlegregory or Corbalis Links have been some of my favorite over there so good to hear of more options.    

It's true the driving is a bit rough in option 1.  Struggled to find a way to pair Carne and the southwest without it.  

Regardless of the option you choose, Carne is a must in my opinion. 

12 minutes ago, hammergolf said:

Regardless of the option you choose, Carne is a must in my opinion. 

I second that motion.  

• Like 1

2024 Bag

Cobra KING LTDx (9*) - MCA Tensei RAW White 6S

Cobra Radspeed 3W (13*) - MCA Kai'li White 7S

TM Stealth Plus 5W (19*) - Project X Hzrdus RDX Red 75S 

Cobra KING Tour MIM (4-G) - KBS C-Taper 120S

Sub 70 JB Forged FF (54,60L) - KBS S-Taper 120S

Odyssey White Hot Versa 7S

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from SW Ireland golf tour - Castle Gregory, Tralee, Waterville, Dooks, Caen Sybille ( Dingle)!Tralee (again) - spectacular is all I can say - I loved Kerry golf all the way -  but North West looks fantastic also. So many great courses! So little time! Impressed you guys played Castle Gregory - out of the way - fantastic course one of my favourites of the tour!

• Like 2

Option 2, all day. The cost of golf in the South West is getting stupid. I played Tralee a couple of weeks ago for €60 in a competition but the starter told us it's €300 a round there now. I asked what the Golf Ireland rate (usually cheaper rate for members of Irish clubs) was and he said still €300, which is obscene IMO. Cheapest tshirt i could see in the pro-shop was €120.

There is far more value to be had in the North West and the courses are every bit as good - Enniscrone, Donegal, Narin & Portnoo, Ballyliffin (both), Rosapenna (all 3!), Portsalon are all great courses and won't break the bank.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 3:22 PM, AltC said:

Just got back from SW Ireland golf tour - Castle Gregory, Tralee, Waterville, Dooks, Caen Sybille ( Dingle)!Tralee (again) - spectacular is all I can say - I loved Kerry golf all the way -  but North West looks fantastic also. So many great courses! So little time! Impressed you guys played Castle Gregory - out of the way - fantastic course one of my favourites of the tour!

Ceann Sibeal is a lovely track. I rocked up there a few times when in the area a couple of years ago and the most they charged me to play was something like €40. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, fullstop said:

Option 2, all day. The cost of golf in the South West is getting stupid. I played Tralee a couple of weeks ago for €60 in a competition but the starter told us it's €300 a round there now. I asked what the Golf Ireland rate (usually cheaper rate for members of Irish clubs) was and he said still €300, which is obscene IMO. Cheapest tshirt i could see in the pro-shop was €120.

There is far more value to be had in the North West and the courses are every bit as good - Enniscrone, Donegal, Narin & Portnoo, Ballyliffin (both), Rosapenna (all 3!), Portsalon are all great courses and won't break the bank.

The West and Northwest courses of Ireland are just as good as any in the Southwest. They may not be as perfectly manicured, but are still in very good shape. Imho a lineup of Carne, Enniscrone, Narin & Portnoo, Cruit Island, Ballyliffin, and Portsalon is as good as anyone could wish for. The added bonus is I find you are more appreciated there as well and not just a number on a tee sheet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

The West and Northwest courses of Ireland are just as good as any in the Southwest. They may not be as perfectly manicured, but are still in very good shape. Imho a lineup of Carne, Enniscrone, Narin & Portnoo, Cruit Island, Ballyliffin, and Portsalon is as good as anyone could wish for. The added bonus is I find you are more appreciated there as well and not just a number on a tee sheet.

A very good chunk of Ireland courses are pricing themselves out of my league.  An example is The Island.  The Island is going to 275 weekdays, 290 weekends.  It wasn’t that long ago that it was 165.  Carne will be 160 next year.  Up from 100 not long ago.  On their own the increase isn’t unmanageable, but 7 days of absorbing increases isn’t.  The 2024 trip will probably be my last for awhile.  

2024 Bag

49 minutes ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

A very good chunk of Ireland courses are pricing themselves out of my league.  An example is The Island.  The Island is going to 275 weekdays, 290 weekends.  It wasn’t that long ago that it was 165.  Carne will be 160 next year.  Up from 100 not long ago.  On their own the increase isn’t unmanageable, but 7 days of absorbing increases isn’t.  The 2024 trip will probably be my last for awhile.  

I will gladly pay 160 for Carne. However paying 350+ for Ballybunion, Lahinch, and Tralee is getting crazy. 

1 hour ago, hammergolf said:

I will gladly pay 160 for Carne. However paying 350+ for Ballybunion, Lahinch, and Tralee is getting crazy. 

I’ll pay for Carne because I fully support the club, but it just goes to show that even they aren’t immune to what is going on with Irish golf post covid.  A future goal is to become an international member.  I hear you on the others.  I love Lahinch to death, but it'll be awhile before I go back.  My salary hasn’t increased 50% in the past 4 years to keep up.  

• Like 1

2024 Bag

1 hour ago, ajgoodal.704 said:

I’ll pay for Carne because I fully support the club, but it just goes to show that even they aren’t immune to what is going on with Irish golf post covid.  A future goal is to become an international member.  I hear you on the others.  I love Lahinch to death, but it'll be awhile before I go back.  My salary hasn’t increased 50% in the past 4 years to keep up.  

Besides being a member there and having those privileges, another great perk of that membership is getting specials rates at Portstewart, Castlerock, Portsalon, Ballyliffin, Donegal, Baltray, County Sligo, Enniscrone, Connemara, Westport, and Galway Bay. I’m definitely looking into becoming a member as well.

3 hours ago, tjl48 said:

I actually just went ahead with the Carne membership this week. I think I am equally excited about those reciprocal benefits as I am about being a member it Carne itself. I'm still on the young side so made myself view it as an investment in my golfing future. 

You are a smart lad!! 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, fullstop said:

Ceann Sibeal is a lovely track. I rocked up there a few times when in the area a couple of years ago and the most they charged me to play was something like €40. 

Fantastic spot - the only day of the tour where it rained for a significant part of the round - some quirky holes but overall great course - really fun - the most westerly course in Europe seemingly- very welcoming club Couldn’t ask for a better days golf.

19 hours ago, tjl48 said:

I actually just went ahead with the Carne membership this week. I think I am equally excited about those reciprocal benefits as I am about being a member it Carne itself. I'm still on the young side so made myself view it as an investment in my golfing future. 

Very smart investment.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2023 at 10:22 AM, AltC said:

Castle Gregory was a wonderful surprise.  Such a fun course.  Was the favorite course played by one of our group.  The wind was whipping when we were there, so a few of the par 3's required driver.  Highly recommend.