2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Old Course in Late Aug as a Single

Hey everyone - Looking to get some insight/feedback/advice from the group.

My wife and I are heading to Scotland/Ireland for a wedding at the end of Aug/beginning of Sept.  I told myself if I ever head back that way, I have to make a push to play the Old Course, so here we are.

Here's the predicament - The two days I'm going to be there are Aug 29th and 30th, which are the Monday and Tuesday before the Walker Cup.  Now, the course and ballot is still open, but I'm a single so I can't do the ballot.  I called to confirm and they said that the ballot will only be for 10 tee times that day (40 spots) due to limited closure for the event.  Singles are still able to queue up to slide into open spots.

I assume I basically need to be first in line in the queue for singles to make sure I get to play, since there's probably less spots available than normal.  However, I don't know the kind of crows the Walker Cup will bring, or if it changes anything besides the lower number of ballot spots.  The goal is to fly in Sunday pm, drive to St. Andrews and queue up after dinner or whenever, and play it that Monday.  That way we have the rest of the week to explore Scotland, rather than taking another day to try again on Tuesday if I don't get on.  So Monday is the goal, although I know it'll be a lot with jet lag, etc.. 

So - any recommendations for me or for folks who have been recently, what time is a good time to queue up?  I have heard things from 2am after the pub, night before, etc. and just want to be safe without standing there for 12 hours. 

TIA! 

3 hours ago, GolfChicago91 said:

My wife and I are heading to Scotland/Ireland for a wedding at the end of Aug/beginning of Sept.  I told myself if I ever head back that way, I have to make a push to play the Old Course, so here we are.

Here's the predicament - The two days I'm going to be there are Aug 29th and 30th, which are the Monday and Tuesday before the Walker Cup.  Now, the course and ballot is still open, but I'm a single so I can't do the ballot.  I called to confirm and they said that the ballot will only be for 10 tee times that day (40 spots) due to limited closure for the event.  Singles are still able to queue up to slide into open spots.

I assume I basically need to be first in line in the queue for singles to make sure I get to play, since there's probably less spots available than normal.  However, I don't know the kind of crows the Walker Cup will bring, or if it changes anything besides the lower number of ballot spots.  The goal is to fly in Sunday pm, drive to St. Andrews and queue up after dinner or whenever, and play it that Monday.  That way we have the rest of the week to explore Scotland, rather than taking another day to try again on Tuesday if I don't get on.  So Monday is the goal, although I know it'll be a lot with jet lag, etc.. 

So - any recommendations for me or for folks who have been recently, what time is a good time to queue up?  I have heard things from 2am after the pub, night before, etc. and just want to be safe without standing there for 12 hours. 

TIA! 

Yup...maybe even earlier.  If folks know the situation like you do, they may be there earlier.

Also give this a try:  ballot buddy

• Thanks 1

As puttnforthe8 said, show up at 10:00pm or sooner and make sure to be the first in line. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Don’t know about the queuing bit. 

I am personally staying at my place in St Andrews for the walker cup and I asked my rental folk if they are busy etc for the walker cup and they said not really much more than normal.

I have bought tickets, first ever you have had to pay for tickets and I asked how busy they are expecting and they said like they would for the dunhill each day but way less games.

I am going to book restaurants very soon to make I get where I want. 

where you staying?

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

10 hours ago, GolfChicago91 said:

Thanks for the info. 

@scott_Donald not sure yet. Need to get it booked in the next week or so. 

Certainly book soon, my apartment has been fully booked May - September since February. It's busy this summer. Heading down next Saturday for the day, looking forward to it.

• Like 1
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

43 minutes ago, dirthead said:

I’m in St Andrews right now. The last 4 days there have been people lining up at 7:00pm for the singles queue. 

nuts………..

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

9 hours ago, GolfChicago91 said:

Wow. That’s insane. Also peak season right now no? Hoping it’s slower late august but Yeesh. I’ll have to give ballot buddy a try!

June is the start, peak for me would be July August. maybe end of June.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

On 6/2/2023 at 4:42 AM, italianstallion said:

Trying the ballot buddy option that @puttnforthe8recommended. Already matched with someone and we’ve both got the same two dates in play to attempt it, so hopefully we can score that way. 10 hours of waiting outside overnight before even playing is crazy.  

The chances of getting on through ballot buddy are unbelievably slim, tried for a whole week on 3 separate occasions and never got on, so that means all the people i got buddied up with never get on either, well not on them days

All im saying is dont rely on it, ive always queued at 4am (think its 3 times now) even behind 15 people in the queue and always got on, they do really try for you.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*

Adams XTD Ti 3 wood 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Adams DHY 21*

Cobra King forged TEC 2023 black 5-PW

Cobra snakebite Black wedges 50/54/58

Bettinardi BB39

1 hour ago, Superbrit said:

The chances of getting on through ballot buddy are unbelievably slim, tried for a whole week on 3 separate occasions and never got on, so that means all the people i got buddied up with never get on either, well not on them days

All im saying is dont rely on it, ive always queued at 4am (think its 3 times now) even behind 15 people in the queue and always got on, they do really try for you.

Appreciate that insight. I’m still fully prepared to camp out, just glad I at least have a chance at potentially not camping out too. 

• Like 1

[sign here]

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2023 at 3:43 PM, GolfChicago91 said:

TIA! 

Hey GolfChicago91,

wow, that is a huge coincidance, as I am there for the same dates this year and have the same problem as you. Was just looking for information, how to best use the cue. How about entering the ballot together?

Kind Regards

Tobi

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, GolfChicago91 said:

Finally getting around to putting a bow on this post.  First, thanks to everyone who chimed in 🙂

So @rivered9 and I linked up for the ballot, but were unsuccessful for Monday or Tuesday. The limitations based on the Walker Cup definitely did not help.  With that, Monday was the day I wanted to play, so I decided I was going to go as early as possible and go for it.  Since it was early on my trip, as well as other factors, my wife was super jet lagged and tired anyways, so she didn't mind one bit. Rivered9 decided not to camp but I told him I'd text him throughout the night on how the queue was looking if he decided to change his mind.  Ultimately he decided not to. 

I tried asking starters, etc. but nobody gave me a ton of info, outside of "it varies every night" and "i've seen people queued up on my way home at 7pm".  With the limited times due to the Walker Cup, 6 guaranteed spots from the ballot results, I didn't want to take any chance, and my idiot self set out for the starters pavilion at 6pm on Sunday Night.  With that, I was definitely the first one there.  Around 8pm, my wife awoke from her nap, brought me food (wife of the year), and hung out with me for a bit.  Someone from the Phillipines came and chatted with me for a bit as well and said he wanted to play, but had dinner plans and was unsure about the campout.   I got his number and said "look, i'll text you as people show up to give you an idea of where you'd be at.  But no guarantees that I say 'oh the third person is here' and that number stretches to 15 by the time you get here".  So he went on his way, and I updated him during the night.

The next person, a fantastic gentleman named Kurtis, joined me in the queue at 10:30.  So yes, 3.5 hours until the second person arrived. Did I feel like an idiot?  Yes. Did I still have comfort knowing that as the first in line, I would definitely get on?  Also yes 🙂 

I let my friend from earlier know the next person had finally arrived, and he decided he would head down.  Shortly after Kurtis at 11 pm, and before my friend I had texted could arrive, the Columbia University golf team showed up to queue up.  2 of their 8 guys got in via the ballot but they all wanted to hang together.  The gentleman from earlier and one other showed up at 11:15 pm, bringing the total to 12 in the queue by 11:15.  A bunch more filtered in throughout the night, but from what I was told,  anyone after the 2 at 11:15 didn't get on.

It was a long night, but I made some great friends.  Everyone was super friendly and good conversation carried through the night.  Everyone hit a wall around 2:30 am and tried to get some sleep, but we all awoke around 4:30 am as the anticipation grew.

The course itself was great, but the pins and greens were tough with the Walker Cup boys in town.  Overall it was a great experience, and I'd do it again in a heart beat.  Well worth the wait, and the campout added to the whole experience.  And to bring it full circle, Revered9 was waiting on the back of 18 green when I finished to see how it went.  Incredible experience and I loved every second of it!  Of course, the next night, the first person in queue wasn't until 1:30 am 😅.  But again, if I did it again, I wouldn't change a thing!

Awesome post!

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip