2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Versa Jailbird

agood3putt

Mine came in this afternoon. Heading to the putting green today but I don't know if I love the feel of the microhinge. I love the way the putter swings but I'm definitely going to compare it to the White Hot. 

Driver: TSi3 8* Tour Green 75 TX

4 wood: Callaway Apex UW 17* Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Irons: 4-PW 716 AP2 X100
Wedges: Mizuno T22 Copper 51, 56, 61 TI S400
Putter: Odyssey Jailbird 380 MH

Lol at the people trying to mark this up $300 on the buy sell forum. Sold mine to get my money back without listing. Waiting on WH version. 

• Like 3

Titleist TSR4 Ventus Black 6X

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 5 Wood Ventus Black 8X

TaylorMade UDI 3 20* KBS Tour Proto Hybrid 95X

Ping i230 4-PW Project X 6.0

Cleveland RTX6 ZipCore 50,54,58

L.A.B. DF3

-Pro V1X

I got to roll one of these today.  Based on about 30 putts, I would think these are going to be great on very fast greens.   Pretty deadly inside 5 feet where you can let the putter swing itself.

That being said It felt like I could only swing it one speed.  I could see slow greens and long lag putts being a little tough although I’m sure one can gets used to anything.

Got mine today and spent 45 minutes out on the putting green.  I am happy to say that this is a keeper.  Dropped a sleeve of balls about 15’ away and made all three right away— not a bad first impression at all.  Legitimately, truly, this thing just stays on line.  That’s my biggest takeaway from the time on the green today.  You really do just point and shoot; the head sits stable at on the ground and the counterbalance just sort of does the rest.  Just need to figure out how much backswing / takeaway due to speed/distance and let it pass through the ball.  It is taking some adjustment to figure out exactly where to choke down to on the grip— and to stay consistent.  Using the letters from the Super Stroke I am able to gauge where my hands go consistently— put my thumbs on the “S’s” for example.  Just have to find the right placement.  There was a part of me that wanted to flip it but after a few practice strokes it felt great, the wrapper came off, and it’s in the bag. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GroovedHosel said:

Got mine today and spent 45 minutes out on the putting green.  I am happy to say that this is a keeper.  Dropped a sleeve of balls about 15’ away and made all three right away— not a bad first impression at all.  Legitimately, truly, this thing just stays on line.  That’s my biggest takeaway from the time on the green today.  You really do just point and shoot; the head sits stable at on the ground and the counterbalance just sort of does the rest.  Just need to figure out how much backswing / takeaway due to speed/distance and let it pass through the ball.  It is taking some adjustment to figure out exactly where to choke down to on the grip— and to stay consistent.  Using the letters from the Super Stroke I am able to gauge where my hands go consistently— put my thumbs on the “S’s” for example.  Just have to find the right placement.  There was a part of me that wanted to flip it but after a few practice strokes it felt great, the wrapper came off, and it’s in the bag. 

You’ll find that once you find your stroke, it is totally automatic.  Then it’s just about reading your putts correctly👍

1 hour ago, GroovedHosel said:

I did the same thing and feel the same way. I did it with the plastic on so it doesn’t count, because I have the WH coming and want to be able to send the one I don’t like back.

The MH almost had a ping to it which is something I had mixed feelings on with the Lab. I think I just need to take the plastic off to know for sure but I think if the WH was never announced it would be in the bag no question. 

I thought about posting a few pictures but we all got the same putter… I think we know what it looks like. I really like how it feels. I haven’t rolled it outside yet, but I like the extra length, the weight, and the insert. I’m shocked how good the MH feels to me. Usually a SS 3.0 would be way too thick of a grip for me but it just seems to work on this putter. Beyond excited to play a round with it.

• Like 1

Cobra King F9 White 9* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g 6.5

Cobra LTDx LS 3 wood 14.5* Tensei White 70X

Cobra SpeedZone Tour 5 wood 19* HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70g 6.5

Mizuno MP18 FliHi 3 Iron Tour AD Black 95X

Mizuno MP18 SC 4-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 115 X

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Black Satin 50/10, 54/10 @54.5, 60/10 @59 TT Tour Issue Spinner

Odyssey Jailbird 380

Just now, onthebogeytrain said:

I thought about posting a few pictures but we all got the same putter… I think we know what it looks like. I really like how it feels. I haven’t rolled it outside yet, but I like the extra length, the weight, and the insert. I’m shocked how good the MH feels to me. Usually a SS 3.0 would be way too thick of a grip for me but it just seems to work on this putter. Beyond excited to play a round with it.

Awesome!  Keep us posted on how she rolls for you on the course.  

• Like 1

Now I regret not going for the JB with the WH insert.  Wish they would reopen it up for a day or two so I can preorder and make some adjustments to the length.  

I tried the MH insert on another putter and didnt like it too much, hence why I didnt get the MH JB, but this version definitely has me interested.  

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Nike VR TW blade/split cavity- 4-PW

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

I haven't taken mine to the course yet, but putting inside this MH is my favorite feeling odyssey putter vs to my TriHot 5k #1 and Versa WH 7.  I'd describe the feeling as more of a "thud" on the Jailbird MH.  Granted, the head weight, shaft and grip make it hard to compare apples/apples, but I would not throw shade at the MH insert Jailbird without trying for yourself.

Ping G425 LST 9* / Mitsubishi Diamana WB 63X 

Taylormade BRNR Mini Driver 13.5* / Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 7X

Taylormade Qi10 18* / Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8X

Srixon ZX5 MKII 3-5 / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-8 / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Srixon Z Forged MKII 9-P / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist SM10 50.08F / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist SM9 54.10S / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist SM9 60.04T / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping PLD Custom Prime Tyne S / BGT Stability Tour Black

6 hours ago, Boogs2 said:

Now I regret not going for the JB with the WH insert.  Wish they would reopen it up for a day or two so I can preorder and make some adjustments to the length.  

I tried the MH insert on another putter and didnt like it too much, hence why I didnt get the MH JB, but this version definitely has me interested.  

Im sure will be able to buy one once they start shipping out.  BST and or the bay.

4 hours ago, tlehmann said:

I haven't taken mine to the course yet, but putting inside this MH is my favorite feeling odyssey putter vs to my TriHot 5k #1 and Versa WH 7.  I'd describe the feeling as more of a "thud" on the Jailbird MH.  Granted, the head weight, shaft and grip make it hard to compare apples/apples, but I would not throw shade at the MH insert Jailbird without trying for yourself.

Totally agree.  It’s hard to explain but the MH / shaft/ grip / length / Versa head / paint combo REALLY works in the Jailbird 380.  I think it feels good and there is enough feedback to discern between good and not-so-good contact as well— and off-center strikes are still pretty well rewarded in terms of results.  Any concerns I had with MH were quickly put to rest when I saw the pure roll, good feel, and absolutely mindless and effortless stroke path that it creates.  Most of us are into the details and nuances of our gear.  And I think, if this works for you, it will REALLY work for you.  I am far more excited about this putter than I should be; it really seems to fit my stroke and putter needs perfectly.

• Like 1

I just got mine, and anxious to try it.  Just messing around with it in my house, MH face for me feels overly soft but I think I can get over that.  The hardest part to get used to is the length.  I’m coming from a 33” putter so this putter feels like a broomstick to me.  May need to cut it down and play with the weight if I truly do like it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, onthebogeytrain said:

Is the MH feel more of a hard, clicky , pingy sounds?  Wonder how it feels compared to White hot

11 minutes ago, Jeffinplano said:

Is the MH feel more of a hard, clicky , pingy sounds?  Wonder how it feels compared to White hot

Complete opposite of hard, clicky and pingy. The MH is quieter and even softer than the white hot, in my experience/opinion

You sound like you’re describing the MH “Star” version (aka John Rahm’s insert). Very different feel than the original MH

• Like 1

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

5 hours ago, mjo23 said:

Complete opposite of hard, clicky and pingy. The MH is quieter and even softer than the white hot, in my experience/opinion

You sound like you’re describing the MH “Star” version (aka John Rahm’s insert). Very different feel than the original MH

Agreed!  I think the MH feels softer than the WH too but both are very soft.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GroovedHosel said:

Totally agree.  It’s hard to explain but the MH / shaft/ grip / length / Versa head / paint combo REALLY works in the Jailbird 380.  I think it feels good and there is enough feedback to discern between good and not-so-good contact as well— and off-center strikes are still pretty well rewarded in terms of results.  Any concerns I had with MH were quickly put to rest when I saw the pure roll, good feel, and absolutely mindless and effortless stroke path that it creates.  Most of us are into the details and nuances of our gear.  And I think, if this works for you, it will REALLY work for you.  I am far more excited about this putter than I should be; it really seems to fit my stroke and putter needs perfectly.

Agree but wish they implemented tri hot technology, and gave us insert options..

6 hours ago, Jeffinplano said:

I felt like it was pingy with the plastic on but I took it off and didn’t get that sound again. Maybe a little click compared to WH to my ears but that’s what I’m used to coming from Newport so I like it.

8 hours ago, TheMoneyShot said:

Agreed!  I think the MH feels softer than the WH too but both are very soft.  

I agree as well. To me the MH feels softer and more like a solid metal putter while the WH has a subtly plastic-like feel, although not in a bad way. This is my experience from standard odyssey putters which I have had an opportunity to compare. 

The jailbird is heavier and has a long heavy shaft with a thick grip so that changes things as well. I personally think the MH would transmit feel better through this setup but obviously haven’t tried the WH in this setup. 

Finally got out to the course to compare to my white hot og 7s. Felt amazing and rolled very nicely. Only complaint is that when I lined up using the line on the ball, I could never get a pure end over end roll on the line and that really bothered me. It always wobbled. Not sure if it’s because I’m used to a lot of toe hang or maybe something else. Going to keep the 7s for now until I can figure that out.

17 hours ago, bfizzy said:

I just got mine, and anxious to try it.  Just messing around with it in my house, MH face for me feels overly soft but I think I can get over that.  The hardest part to get used to is the length.  I’m coming from a 33” putter so this putter feels like a broomstick to me.  May need to cut it down and play with the weight if I truly do like it.

Did you order stock length of 39?