2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Versa Jailbird

agood3putt

9 minutes ago, ochowie said:

Want to add in, that I absolutely love how my WH Jailbird putts but I absolutely HATE the WH insert. I'm debating making my own version of this with a Scotty Phantom 11 as the head.

Did you ever try out the MH? If it's just the insert that's not working for you, then maybe the MH one is for you.

I think I've read here that the MH really sends the ball (whereas the WH requires some more effort). If this is true, then I'm thinking the MH version is the right one for me, since I have a tendency to leave longer and/or uphill putts short (and probably could use a more speed off the face instead of trying to hit the ball harder/with a longer stroke).

9 minutes ago, KMeloney said:

Did you ever try out the MH? If it's just the insert that's not working for you, then maybe the MH one is for you.

I think I've read here that the MH really sends the ball (whereas the WH requires some more effort). If this is true, then I'm thinking the MH version is the right one for me, since I have a tendency to leave longer and/or uphill putts short (and probably could use a more speed off the face instead of trying to hit the ball harder/with a longer stroke).

I didn't. The WH version was an impulse buy when they were available at PGA Tour Superstore. I haven't hit the MH before at all so probably not gonna spend another $400 on that when I have that Scotty to convert. Currently the WH version is firmly my gamer but something with the same tech specs and a milled face sounds like the dream.

Edit: I will add that I have the same problem as you which is why I considered the Jailbird in the first place and I think it's helped. It's actually now about dialing in downhill putts a bit but I'm getting there too.

Edited by ochowie

16 hours ago, ochowie said:

Want to add in, that I absolutely love how my WH Jailbird putts but I absolutely HATE the WH insert. I'm debating making my own version of this with a Scotty Phantom 11 as the head.

Do you prefer more of a milled face feel?  You would probably prefer the MH version if that is the case.  

Edited by TheMoneyShot

On 11/6/2023 at 9:36 AM, KMeloney said:

I got mine via pre-order with Dick's. Think they'd take it back for a full refund if I take the plastic off?

Not sure what I'm going to do with mine yet, but I putted so poorly yesterday with my relatively-trusty 2-Ball that I'm really temped to pull the plastic and get the Jailbird on the course.

Returned mine to Dick's with the plastic off with no issue 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, KMeloney said:

Anyone kept the shaft length the same but swapped out the stock SS grip for an equally-long but thinner one?

I’m thinking about putting a SS odyssey tank grip on mine as soon as I decide which one is going to make the bag full time.  I bought a new one off eBay and I think it will work/feel perfect.  

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 10:24 PM, TheMoneyShot said:

Do you prefer more of a milled face feel?  You would probably prefer the MH version if that is the case.  

I do prefer a milled face. I saw the MH on some sites but can’t find it now. At this point I’m somewhat committed to my Frankenstein project or keeping the WH. If I found an MH for close to retail I’d consider it. 

1 hour ago, ochowie said:

I do prefer a milled face. I saw the MH on some sites but can’t find it now. At this point I’m somewhat committed to my Frankenstein project or keeping the WH. If I found an MH for close to retail I’d consider it. 

Yeah, I hear you.  I want to like the MH better (love the feel) but I’m putting better with the WH version.  Ive been playing with a WH insert for over 10+ years and find the ball jumps off the club a lot quicker with the MH.  I’ve been testing several different putters recently, all with different faces so that definitely does’t help either.  You will probably really like the WH insert once you get use to it. 

8 hours ago, bunta said:

Got paired with a solo for a twilight round the other day. Spotted the Jailbird headcover immediately., A few conversations led me to using the Jailbird for a few holes... Made a 3ft, a 5ft, an 8ft, missed a 4ft, and lagged one to 6inches from miles away. i haven't stopped thinking about it since. Its been 4 days.

Yep, that’s basically how it started with me about 10 years ago with a Tank counterbalance putter and I haven’t looked back since😃

On 11/10/2023 at 8:06 PM, mktrout said:

I ordered one from dicks Wednesday morning and it got delivered the next day.

They must have still had one from the first batch? My club says it wont get here until February

(Also looking specifically for the MH version. Not interested in the WH face)

Edited by dmecca2

1 hour ago, dmecca2 said:

They must have still had one from the first batch? My club says it wont get here until February

Yes, white hot version that I would prefer. They still have them for sale now.

Love the head design but not a huge fan of counterbalanced putters. Is it possible to cut down to normal length around 34 inches with standard super stroke grip or will the weighting be way off? 

Cobra LTD Pro w/ Fuji Speeder 757 X
Callaway Alpha 816 14* w/ Fuji Speeder 8.3 TS
Callaway Alpha 815 19* w/ Fuji 865X
Callaway XR Pro Irons w/DG X100
Fourteen TF 50, 56, 60
Odyssey Stroke Lab 2-Ball Fang
Sun Mountain 4.5

1 hour ago, shortstack31489 said:

Love the head design but not a huge fan of counterbalanced putters. Is it possible to cut down to normal length around 34 inches with standard super stroke grip or will the weighting be way off? 

Check out the previous 3 or so pages of this thread. Some folks have cut theirs down (or plan to).

So I finally got around to making my “Jailbird at home”. This is using a Scotty Phantom 11.5 head and BGT carbon stability shaft. It’s weighted and swing weighted the same as the Jailbird. The toughest part was actually finding the grip. Shoutout to Club Champion in Cincinnati for helping me with this project. 

Edited by ochowie
It’s not letting me post some of the other pictures.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2023 at 12:56 AM, SaVo_ said:

Has anyone bent the loft down on this? 

tried one out little while back and it came in at 5 degrees of loft. Had to forward press or move it back in the stance a bit 

Stock loft should be 3 degrees. I would guess that your shaft was not installed correctly. Twist that back to square and it should fix your problem

On 11/13/2023 at 7:41 AM, dmecca2 said:

My pro shop sent me a confirmation of the order and sure enough, they tried to order me a jailbird with the ai insert and then add on a longer grip and shaft, which is why february was the order date. So I was finally able to confirm a cancellation and buy one on here. Feels great in the basement, boy does the ball pop off this MH insert. Love it so far.

5 hours ago, dmecca2 said:

My pro shop sent me a confirmation of the order and sure enough, they tried to order me a jailbird with the ai insert and then add on a longer grip and shaft, which is why february was the order date. So I was finally able to confirm a cancellation and buy one on here. Feels great in the basement, boy does the ball pop off this MH insert. Love it so far.

And you saved some money hopefully!

Bought one of the WH recently on the BST here and just absolutely love it. I'm a taller guy, 6'5", and have always used 36" putters. The problem is I always find myself gripping further down on the grip than i'd like because I've always felt the face was unstable the more I stood upright. I've been able to grip the jailbird really high, similar to how Wyndham does, and i've never felt more relaxed and natural putting, and the weight makes the club face feel extremely stable. I have a flat 8 footer I like to practice hitting my line on and i've never had as much success as i've had initially with the jailbird. Also, I putted with it for 1.5 - 2 hours and my back felt fine, which normally locks up after 30-60 minutes with shorter putters. I'm hopeful that will allow me to practice putting more. I am a little worried about how the heavy weight may impact lag putting, but as of right now i'm extremely excited by the early returns. 

I have been messing around with multiple different grips for this putter to see what works best. In my testing, I have had the stock grip, a 21" superstroke 1.0P, winn 15" and most recently a superstroke wristlock. I have been messing around and may have found something using a left-hand low armlock style of grip with the wristlock. I like it but the pistol part of the wristlock grip is not big enough for my liking. I just ordered an Evnroll Midlock 17" putter grip to try. This has been an expensive experience but hoping this new grip works out because I will be using a LHL armlock grip for the foreseeable future. 

4 hours ago, wayward_points said:

I have been messing around with multiple different grips for this putter to see what works best. In my testing, I have had the stock grip, a 21" superstroke 1.0P, winn 15" and most recently a superstroke wristlock. I have been messing around and may have found something using a left-hand low armlock style of grip with the wristlock. I like it but the pistol part of the wristlock grip is not big enough for my liking. I just ordered an Evnroll Midlock 17" putter grip to try. This has been an expensive experience but hoping this new grip works out because I will be using a LHL armlock grip for the foreseeable future. 

I struggled with the thickness of the super stroke and finally settled on the Garsen quad tour 17”.

• Like 1