Ping Beryllium Copper Irons Questions

First post and a little background. I've been playing golf (or giving it a good attempt) for about 30 years. No chance of making it to a Tour but find the sport a way to escape the world for a few hours. No clue what my handicap is but generally score in the low 90's. My modern set of clubs are Taylormade Stealth irons, Ping wedges and Ping G430 driver/woods.

I have a connection with older clubs and will play with a set of Ping Zing 2 irons and recently purchased a set of Ping Eye 2 Beryllium Copper irons. They have stiff shafts, which I cannot hit worth a toot, and will be swapping them out with regular flex shafts (Nippon Pro 950GH). I've re-shafted other irons and putters and I'm curious if there is anything unique about re-shafting the BeCu irons? Just please don't tell me Ping used ball bearings to seat the shaft. Re-shafted an old Ping putter that had this and it was not pretty.

Tempted to keep the stiff shaft in the pitching wedge, but my swing speed isn't fast enough to support stiff shafts. I've got a regular set of Eye 2 irons with ZZ Lite shafts and it feels like a 2x4 as I swing. Just never got around to re-shafting them and would rather put the effort into the BeCu irons.

One more question... these irons were fitted with steel shafts. It is okay to use graphite shafts in them, right? If so, any thoughts on shaft weight? I have 65 gram graphite shafts in the Taylormade and like them. Would that be too light for the BeCu? Or does it all boil down to personal preference?

Appreciate any insight.

Edited by Coppertop1880

Same process to reshaft BeCu irons as any other irons. As long as you have .355 taper tip shafts you’ll be fine. You can put graphite in them, but back then Ping used very light heads. I would recommend using a graphite shaft with a lower balance point like MMT’s and play them 1/4” to 1/2” over length to get them to a reasonable swingweight.

Edited by hammergolf
  • Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I don't have a ton of input in terms of shaft recommendations except I'd switch out all the shafts if I were to switch any.  Getting the timing right with a set of shafts is my biggest struggle as I move between sets.

But, I just also love the Zing 2's.  For a very long time, I couldn't find anything that I could play better than my Zing 2's with JZ Stiff shafts. That sole design, single piece construction, toe forgiveness, and indestructibility just can't be found anywhere else. 

• Like 2

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 7i, 9i, UW - Ping i210

SW - Ping Glide 3.0 SS 54.12

LW - Ping Glide 3.0 TS 60.06

P - SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5 
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

2 hours ago, golfunderpar18 said:

You need to wear a proper mask and ensure you are working in a well ventilated space.  Golf shops won’t work on becu as it can be toxic when heating.  No drilling/grinding either.

Thanks.

Only thing close to grinding is cleaning out the hosel for the new shaft and would mask up for that regardless.

Will mask up when heating the hosel to remove the old shaft as well.

Project done. Re-shafted, re-gripped and lettering touched up. 

I've always liked the look of the BeCu irons and thrilled to have a set in my collection.

The balance point is a little lower than what it was with the stiff, steel shafts but nothing major.

Adding 1/4" to the length but the grip is a little lighter than what was originally in place. If it feels wonky, may swap out the grips for a heavier Super Stroke grip.

Looking forward to taking these to the range for a test drive and then the course. 

Thanks again for the guidance.

Quick follow up question. The original Ping shafts are in good shape. Worth hanging on to?

Ping_Eye_2.jpg

• Like 3

I had the garage doors open, fan blowing outwards and masked up when I took the heads off the old shafts. 

And I agree, they are nice irons. Took them out the other day for a round of golf and they feel solid. Performed really well on the par 3's (even hit the flag stick on one hole). Still need to spend a little time on the range with the irons but no regrets picking them up. 

Eyeing a set of ISI BeCu irons to add to the collection. Just need to recover from this purchase.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2023 at 7:35 AM, Coppertop1880 said:

Quick follow up question. The original Ping shafts are in good shape. Worth hanging on to?

Take a close look at the tip end of the shafts, when I removed the original shafts from my Eye2 BeCu set a few were bent right where the end of the hosel was, noticeable when rotating the shaft around while looking up/down the shaft.

2 hours ago, Nard_S said:

Only if it's to point that the metal itself is giving off smoke. Don't grind it, don't lap it. Don't melt.

Heating to the extent it melts epoxy should not represent a major hazard. 

I machine 1500 lbs of it every year, I do it with lots of coolant & ventilation. Patiently with sharp tools. I don't grind it, ever.  Casting clubs out of it then finish grinding/polishing is absolutely ridiculous risky nonsense. But it's a bit absurd the level of paranoia handling this material or things made from it. No dust, no smoke, no problem.

What about a non major hazard?  golf retailers / repair shops will no longer work on BeCu irons.  I’d prefer not to take any chances and I’m pretty sure this is to prevent potential lawsuits.   My local repair person (who also works for a major retailer) does my bending in his garage with proper ventilation and equipment/protection. 

via Wikipedia - Inhalation of dust, mist, or fumes containing beryllium can cause chronic beryllium disease, which restricts the exchange of oxygen between the lungs and the bloodstream. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) lists beryllium as a Group 1 human carcinogen

2 minutes ago, golfunderpar18 said:

golf retailers / repair shops will no longer work on BeCu irons.  I’d prefer not to take any chances and I’m pretty sure this is to prevent potential lawsuits.   My local repair person (who also works for a major retailer) does my bending in his garage with proper ventilation and equipment/protection. 

Why I commented.....bending the lie on a Becu head will not give you beryllium disease. That is beyond silly. Might be a PIA because hardened BeCu simply does not like to bend. It is rather springy and elastic.

Truth? Not a good idea to even try to change lie & loft and it has nothing to do with a disease. You should also be weary of overheating and the risk of damaging the heat treat condition. If it loses it's bite, those heads become useless. Doing a re-shaft? Low heat, clean up in low impact manner and do wear a mask and wash hands.

Great to be careful but just avoid generating dust or smelt and you should be okay. You want to polish it with 500 grit paper while smoking a Camel? Your funeral. You want to weld, cast or forge something with it? On you Einstein. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nard_S said:

Why I commented.....bending the lie on a Becu head will not give you beryllium disease. That is beyond silly. Might be a PIA because hardened BeCu simply does not like to bend. It is rather springy and elastic.

Truth? Not a good idea to even try to change lie & loft and it has nothing to do with a disease. You should also be weary of overheating and the risk of damaging the heat treat condition. If it loses it's bite, those heads become useless. Doing a re-shaft? Low heat, clean up in low impact manner and do wear a mask and wash hands.

Great to be careful but just avoid generating dust or smelt and you should be okay. You want to polish it with 500 grit paper while smoking a Camel? Your funeral. You want to weld, cast or forge something with it? On you Einstein. 

Thank you for the common sense....all the stuff about BeCu diseases or how to contract - the EPA got involved cuz of the smelting/forging process at temps of thousands of degrees F...not the heat generated to reshaft (I've used a lighter to creat the necessary heat, no blow torch needed)...I'd wear a mask, not cuz of the BeCu head, but the smoke from the melting epoxy (that's real nasty stuff)...the only other question I have, is why drill out the ID of any hozel? Why not just find the proper shaft for it?

3 minutes ago, bcstones said:

Thank you for the common sense....all the stuff about BeCu diseases or how to contract - the EPA got involved cuz of the smelting/forging process at temps of thousands of degrees F...not the heat generated to reshaft (I've used a lighter to creat the necessary heat, no blow torch needed)...I'd wear a mask, not cuz of the BeCu head, but the smoke from the melting epoxy (that's real nasty stuff)...the only other question I have, is why drill out the ID of any hozel? Why not just find the proper shaft for it?

At one time was looking at leasing space and went to a former casting plant. Quite messy and can see the risks and health issues with casting BeCu. In a solid finished state BeCu components are benign.

To the point about drilling out, agree, you can clean up with reamers. Can use emery cloth, steel wool or scotch brite too but yeah, use lubricant and do wear a mask. 

Allow me to show an example of EPA/OSHA idiocy. If they come in, and see you have mineral spirits washer, it has to be kept in a lockable vat. But the same body allows companies to pour up to 15 gallons a day down the drain. So I worked at this place, these guys would soak product in mineral spirits then rinse & hose it all down the drain with a water rinse but OSHA was pissed about sumps not having lockable lids. WTF? Insane.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, golfunderpar18 said:

What about a non major hazard?  golf retailers / repair shops will no longer work on BeCu irons.  I’d prefer not to take any chances and I’m pretty sure this is to prevent potential lawsuits.   My local repair person (who also works for a major retailer) does my bending in his garage with proper ventilation and equipment/protection. 

via Wikipedia - Inhalation of dust, mist, or fumes containing beryllium can cause chronic beryllium disease, which restricts the exchange of oxygen between the lungs and the bloodstream. The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) lists beryllium as a Group 1 human carcinogen

just double checked the melting point of BeCu & the temp at which liquification takes place: 1590*F to 1800*F...so all that "dust, mist/fumes" you mention, takes place in the factory where they are making the heads, not in a local shop that is reshafting BeCu clubs. So of course, it became medically, insurance, & legally wise too cost effective to continue. That local golf retailers or repair shops stop working on BeCu irons is more due to the litigious society we live in and ignorance...but mostly the litigious society. Which I think Nard_S says quite well above in his comments...

• Like 1

Appreciate the insight.

Now that I've re-shafted the irons, barring a disaster, the most work I'll do on them is swap out the grips periodically.

Spent the morning at the range with the irons and really impressed with how they feel.

Reached out to Ping with the serial number. Set was built in 1988 as 2-SW. The only club missing is the SW, which I'll eventually add on down the road.

Changing gears... did Ping ever offer a BeCu set of Ping Zing 2 irons? Or was it just ISI, Eye 2 and Zing irons?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Coppertop1880 said:

Appreciate the insight.

Now that I've re-shafted the irons, barring a disaster, the most work I'll do on them is swap out the grips periodically.

Spent the morning at the range with the irons and really impressed with how they feel.

Reached out to Ping with the serial number. Set was built in 1988 as 2-SW. The only club missing is the SW, which I'll eventually add on down the road.

Changing gears... did Ping ever offer a BeCu set of Ping Zing 2 irons? Or was it just ISI, Eye 2 and Zing irons?

Ping sold zing 2 becu wedges only…. not sure why they didn’t offer full iron sets.   I’m a zing 2 fan.

• Like 1

On 7/19/2023 at 11:46 AM, Coppertop1880 said:

This may be a stupid question but are the lofts of the BeCu Eye 2 irons the same as the non-BeCu Eye 2 irons?

I imagine they are but stranger things have happened.

Same but the original eye 2’s have different lofts compared to the plus models.  This is a great website to check manufacture and model original specs.  (Loft, lie, shaft length). https://www.equip2golf.com/specifications/specs_frameset.html?ping/ping_isi.html~specs

Edited by golfunderpar18
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, golfunderpar18 said:

Same but the original eye 2’s have different lofts compared to the plus models.  This is a great website to check manufacture and model original specs.  (Loft, lie, shaft length). https://www.equip2golf.com/specifications/specs_frameset.html?ping/ping_isi.html~specs

interesting link...tho, not too much on vintage, well more like popular vintage...the Hogan's are mostly post 1994....but the info on Pings is interesting. Thanks

I've gotten used to the older Ping shafts.  I have a BeCu with the microtapers that feel like I'm swinging a parking meter if I don't play for a while.  My gamers are i210 and I play the BeCu for fun a couple rounds a year.  

That being said, I recently had them re-gripped and the guy at the golf shop who did it looked and said "Wow.  We don't see too many of these.  Great shape."  

• Like 1