2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

“No Backswing Drill” for speed - Eric Cogorno video

Old as the hills but nice to see some teachers catching on, if it's a new idea for EC, to move impact/speed more forward within the sequence.   A great tour instructor, Bradley Hughes, has been demonstrating post impact acceleration drills for a very long time, and Hogan said back in the day the fastest part of the swing is 2 feet past the ball, he wasn't kidding.  Bradley has those ideas and drills on his Tube channel.  I think he may have a Vimeo one too.  

I swung out from underneath myself, from the lower part of my body.   Byron Nelson

Interesting video.  I believe that you can either be a handle yanker and pull hard from the top for speed or gradually gain speed from the top then really go after it right before impact ala Adam Scott.  Rory once mentioned that his left side was weak at the beginning of his career but once he strengthened it, he added speed by applying it at the bottom of his down swing.  Makes sense if you think about it. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

6 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Interesting video.  I believe that you can either be a handle yanker and pull hard from the top for speed or gradually gain speed from the top then really go after it right before impact ala Adam Scott.  Rory once mentioned that his left side was weak at the beginning of his career but once he strengthened it, he added speed by applying it at the bottom of his down swing.  Makes sense if you think about it. 

Handle yanking has always been a problem for me…too much in a hurry to get it over with. Almost Zorro-like in my haste. Not sure this drill will address that, but I’m heading to the range soon to give it a try. 

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

I've always been quick at the top and get to impact I'm sure as I slow down. My short follow through would probably reflect my quick transition.  When I hit my better shots I have to be patient through transition. I want to see the speed AT the ball which allows a full follow through. 

I'll have to try this drill.  I know my half swings can go was far as my full swings 😊

Edited by 596
  • Like 1

On 7/10/2023 at 6:24 PM, GungHoGolf said:

Haven’t run across this drill before, but looking forward to trying it out. Personally I need to focus more attention on speed through the ball to a full finish, this should help. 

This is incredible. I've always had an issue with using my arms way too much and hips not enough. My first few swings from the first stage of this drill were laughable. But I started to feel how to fire my hips. Went to stage two and started feeling a little better lag and more consistent in to out swing. Finally did full swings and my tempo is sooo much better, swing feels much more in to out instead of over the top, and I'm hearing noticeably more noise when the club goes through the air. Can't wait to test on the range. 

Edited by ApostateDrive
  • Like 1

TE C722 - Maltby TS3 - Maltby TSW - Wilson Windy City

On 7/11/2023 at 7:53 AM, stryper said:

Handle yanking has always been a problem for me…too much in a hurry to get it over with. Almost Zorro-like in my haste. Not sure this drill will address that, but I’m heading to the range soon to give it a try. 

Same here-that's the bane of my golf existence. If I can only be patient at the top and generate speed with my loaded forces in the body, good things happen. 

Reposted from another thread:

I tried it last night and the only way for me to build power was to aggressively shift onto that front foot while keeping the lead shoulder from opening. Classic UBLB separation that all good athletes in any sport have. It took me about 15 balls, but suddenly I was flushing the 9-iron and finishing in the same position as Eric in the video. Most of the time that is. If I got lazy and tried to open the torso for power, it was a big fat chunk. 

For me though, I had to focus on 2 things: driving forward to generate speed from the back leg (not turn-just drive forward) and not opening the lead shoulder at the start. It's almost a "down and through" action. I did it with my 9-iron. 

Once I hit probably 40 of these, I pulled out my 7-iron and aimed for the 180 flag. I painted the green with all 6: great spin and trajectory on each, crisp in the center of the face. On the full swings, I consciously thought about "lazily" letting my club start on the downswing. With the shift and focus on my torso covering the ball, I got all the speed I needed w/o it coming from the hands. Still had to manually keep that torso separated from the hip action though. 

I finished with driver: the net is 278 from the tees and pretty tall. I cleared it on the 3rd swing. First time! I've clipped it 2/3 way up several times but never cleared it. Calm night as well. 

I love this drill because if you aren't doing it correctly, you don't have the ability to compensate with your hands or other parts of the body. It's also something you can do as part of your pre-swing routine. 

• Like 3

It seems, as EC says in the video, to be an excellent drill for people like me who have inactive lower bodies, who can't seem to get their weight forward onto their lead foot. That's been the bane of my golfing existence.

I can't say that after trying the drill for a certain length of time I flushed my shots, but I did notice on the course that I often ended up with my weight almost entirely on my lead foot. As well, my body was fully rotated towards the target (as much as I can "fully rotate" with my girth). On the course I try coupling the drill with my full swing, taking practice swings as if I was executing the drill then taking my regular shot. I also forget about what the drill is trying to get me to do as it messes with my swing. I just hope my body will remember the important parts. 🙂 

All in all, thanks to the OP for bringing up this video.

• Like 1

Harry Redknapp on signing good-looking Portuguese winger Dani, he told reporters:

"My missus fancies him. Even I don't know whether to play him or f**k him."

A little bit more advanced drill here- actually moving the ball with post impact acceleration.   Accelerating the ball with good lift down range is not the easiest thing to do as those trying will find out as the hands without pivot drive will tend to make the face slip off the ball. 

I swung out from underneath myself, from the lower part of my body.   Byron Nelson

What I took away from these drills (haven't seen Monte's BroomForce, although Rob Cheney has a similar drill in which he drags a club along the mat) is that they are training your body to start more or less at about the same time as your arms in the downswing. If I video myself I will almost always see my arms "initiating" the downswing and my body, if it ever does, only starts rotating later. I realize micro examination of the downswing may reveal something different; regardless, the value to me of these drills is getting my body comfortable with the notion that the hips participate in the downswing and can be a valuable contributor. 🙂  

Harry Redknapp on signing good-looking Portuguese winger Dani, he told reporters:

"My missus fancies him. Even I don't know whether to play him or f**k him."

17 minutes ago, nlk10010 said:

What I took away from these drills (haven't seen Monte's BroomForce, although Rob Cheney has a similar drill in which he drags a club along the mat) is that they are training your body to start more or less at about the same time as your arms in the downswing. If I video myself I will almost always see my arms "initiating" the downswing and my body, if it ever does, only starts rotating later. I realize micro examination of the downswing may reveal something different; regardless, the value to me of these drills is getting my body comfortable with the notion that the hips participate in the downswing and can be a valuable contributor. 🙂  

I've noticed the same thing in my swing. When it gets real egregious, my hips will trail my arms all the way through and I'll flip my wrists through impact with no shaft lean. Whereas, if you watch the swing of any great golfer, the hips lead the turn the entire way. 

TE C722 - Maltby TS3 - Maltby TSW - Wilson Windy City