NFL Weekly Picks 2023

touch

I guess I'll never get to understand football.

End of 1st half, Dolphins are down 8, have the ball 1st&10 at the Ravens' 44, WITH 2 timeouts, and try to get a 1st down play off before the 2 minute warning.

Anybody tell me why ?

2 minutes, inside the 50, is enough time to score TWO TDs before halftime with NO timeouts, especially the way these 2 teams go up and down the field.

So Tua gets the play off and throws an INT and Ravens go 50(?) yards and score their own TD.

Coach McDaniel still a little too young/inexperienced ? scratchy.gif

Edited by nsxguy
  • Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

14 minutes ago, Triple Lindy said:

efinitely a bad call. It’s also happened a million times before and bad calls that impact the outcome will happen again.

... Sure it has happened many times. None worse than the cal against Megatron against the Bears when he caught the TD and when getting up he used the ball and it came out of his hands in his excitement. Bears should have ;lost that game as it was clearly a catch but over ruled on a really bad interpretation of the rule. As you said we could bring up many. But I do think there is a difference between a bad call and technical incompetence. Olinemen report as eligible all game long for 2 reasons. They ARE eligible but they want the defense to know they are there for blocking so when/if the need arrises, the defense is used to them reporting for blocking and not receiving. The biggest red flag for me is Campbell spelled it out to the Head Ref before the game started "If we go for 2, 68 will be eligible". 

• Like 1

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    CobraAerojet 16* 3 wood ... AD-IZ6r
Hybrids:    Cobra King Tec 19* ... MMT Hy70r
                  Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black Hy70r

Irons:        Titleist T200 '23 5-9 ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:   MG3 ... 45*/50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour X

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... I think Goff is another version of You Like That. He can light it up during the season but the Big Stage and the Playoffs always seem to big for them. And when the game comes down to a Ref saying, after video showed 68 reporting "70 reported, not 68" when Campbell told them before the game 68 would be reporting when they send 3 lineman over to the Ref so the defense isn't sure who is eligible, you have a HUGE problem. It's bad enough when the Refs change the outcome with/without a questionable call but when they mess up simple reporting they should be fired and the NFL should reverse the outcome. Never gonna happen of course buy da-yum that was brutal. 

Walk me through this please. But first remember that when they first changed the kickoff rule some years ago, the 1st game I saw the kick receiver allowed the ball to lie in the end zone and I'm screaming at the TV "WTF are you doing ? The kicking team will fall on it for a TD" :classic_laugh:

I'm notorious for just watching the game; nothing else. No pre-game, no post-game, no reading the news, nothing.

So, a couple of things here. Since when can the coach make a decision pre-game and expect an official to remember that ONLY a certain guy is the eligible receiver ?

Also, isn't the referee required to, before the play, announce that a normally ineligible receiver is now eligible ? Even if 3 normally ineligibles are coming in at the same time ?

'splain please. TIA

Edited by nsxguy

Ping Glide Pro 48*

3 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

So, a couple of things here. Since when can the coach make a decision pre-game and expect an official to remember that ONLY a certain guy is the eligible receiver ?

Also, isn't the referee required to, before the play, announce that a normally ineligible receiver is now eligible ? Even if 3 normally ineligibles are coming in at the same time ?

... If the Head Ref has a coach tell him before the game "if we go for 2 I just want you to know 68 will be eligible. We have been working on that play all week and I just wanna make sure we are clear" and he forgets that? He should be saying "How about some inserts for those kicks?" to customers at Foot Locker. I came up with a play in the 8th grade when we were in the middle of the field,  we had one player come to the huddle and 2 run off the field, but one stood just inside the sideline. I would make a quick throw to him because nobody was near him. We let the refs know before the game we may run that play and again during the game if we were gonna run it. It is pretty common.

... Yes, the ref has to let the defense know but like I said in the previous post, you do it all game long so it doesn't seem unusual. There is so much going on in the defensive huddle and pre reading the offense. Captain is listening to his DC in his helmet, players are looking for their responsibility on the play, formations are called and changed so a ref telling the defense an OT is eligible is easily ignored, especially if it has been happening all game long on normal running plays.  

19 minutes ago, chisag said:

... If the Head Ref has a coach tell him before the game "if we go for 2 I just want you to know 68 will be eligible. We have been working on that play all week and I just wanna make sure we are clear" and he forgets that? He should be saying "How about some inserts for those kicks?" to customers at Foot Locker. I came up with a play in the 8th grade when we were in the middle of the field,  we had one player come to the huddle and 2 run off the field, but one stood just inside the sideline. I would make a quick throw to him because nobody was near him. We let the refs know before the game we may run that play and again during the game if we were gonna run it. It is pretty common.

... Yes, the ref has to let the defense know but like I said in the previous post, you do it all game long so it doesn't seem unusual. There is so much going on in the defensive huddle and pre reading the offense. Captain is listening to his DC in his helmet, players are looking for their responsibility on the play, formations are called and changed so a ref telling the defense an OT is eligible is easily ignored, especially if it has been happening all game long on normal running plays.  

Maybe you were the first to think of that play ? I've seen heard about it many times.

But OK, I guess I have to be more clear when I ask something.

"If the Head Ref has a coach tell him before the game "if we go for 2 I just want you to know 68 will be eligible. We have been working on that play all week and I just wanna make sure we are clear"

Isn't the referee, in the NFL, required to announce to EVERYBODY (now via their microphone) a normally ineligible receiver is now (having just reported) eligible ?

And isn't the announcement TO THE REFEREE, required to be made, by either the coach or the player himself, EVERY TIME he's to become eligible ?

i.e. The coach can NOT give a ref "blanket instructions" like "Every time 68 comes in on a 2-pt play he's eligible". 

With everything going on how can the ref be expected or required to remember such detail(s) ?

Edited by nsxguy

Ping Glide Pro 48*

The Lions did EVERYTHING they were supposed to do. The NFL's excuse is ridiculous. Their official response is the official HEARD the proper player report in (which they had to admit, since the video clearly showed it), but the ref made EYE CONTACT with another player, and reported the player they made EYE CONTACT with as eligible. And they think this makes everything OK. 

Pretty sure the rules didn't mention anything about making eye contact with an official as you report in.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

The worst part is the NFL trying to blame the player. Just admit the mistake and move on. It was an easy mistake to make, regardless of refs being briefed on play. Even if they’re told, I doubt that they keep track of the number of the player that might report as eligible if a particular scenario arises based on a meeting several hours earlier. #70 had been reporting as eligible all game. He was running up to the ref as #68 was reporting, so you can see how the mistake was made. Just own the mistake.

The Lions might have gamed themselves by confusing the ref. They had 3 linemen around the ref, probably in an attempt to disguise who was reporting as eligible. Oops.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Triple Lindy said:

Even if they’re told, I doubt that they keep track of the number of the player that might report as eligible if a particular scenario arises based on a meeting several hours earlier.

... I am not gonna repeat this over and over again as I have no skin in the game so it's fine if you or anyone else disagrees. 👍 It's not like coaches are telling Refs pre game lost of information they should keep track of. I am pretty certain Campbell went to the Ref before the game and looked him in the eye and said if they run a 2 pt conversion, they have been working on a play all week where 68 will be eligible. This is not a lot for a HR to keep track of at all, so when they DO go t a 2 point conversion and 68 comes to him and tells him he is eligible, there should be zero chance he is confused or lost track of Campbells pre game explanation. 

19 minutes ago, Triple Lindy said:

Man, Miami just can’t get out of their own way. 2 dropped TD passes so far. And allowing that kick return to start the 2nd half. I was hoping for a more competitive game.

... I am not sure if I have ver seen 3 reply good teams that could seemingly not show up at any moment like this years Dolphins, Chiefs and Bills. 

• Like 1

Isn't the referee, in the NFL, required to announce to EVERYBODY (now via their microphone) a normally ineligible receiver is now (having just reported) eligible ?

I am not sure about the NFL and whether or not it is required by microphone but he certainly has to tell the defensive captain. The NFL is showbiz and the mic is for the audience. Coaches and player don't listen to the PA system. 

And isn't the announcement TO THE REFEREE, required to be made, by either the coach or the player himself, EVERY TIME he's to become eligible ?

Absolutely. 

i.e. The coach can NOT give a ref "blanket instructions" like "Every time 68 comes in on a 2-pt play he's eligible". 

You are correct, he cannot. But he can certainly alert the Ref to any trick plays they may be running during the game. 

With everything going on how can the ref be expected or required to remember such detail(s) ?

I don't what that means "with everything going on" but feel it is very easy to remember a HC giving you a heads up before the game starts because it is unusual. Not required but certainly expected. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Triple Lindy said:

Definitely a bad call. It’s also happened a million times before and bad calls that impact the outcome will happen again. I heard on ESPN this morning that the ref tells the defense who reports as eligible. Who knows how that might have altered how it played out since the defense was told #70 reported as eligible and not #68. Since the Lions got to run a play from the exact same place (after offsides on Dallas), basically a “do-over”, it played out as fairly as possible, given the bad call. To your point about Goff, had he placed the ball better, they would have converted on the last attempt.

As far as firing goes, based on the full body of work by that crew, I’d agree wholeheartedly. Same crew that didn’t call PI on Green Bay against Kansas City. Saw several other horrible non-calls by that same crew on pregame shows. 

The worst part is that a loss wouldn’t have hurt Dallas at all. Philly won’t lose the last 2 games and that’s what it would take for Dallas to win the division. And they can’t finish any worse than the top wild card team. OTH, the Lions would be the #2 seed if they had won their last 2 games, with an outside shot at the #1 seed. They’ll now be the #3 seed, which means a road trip in the divisional round instead of a home game. Big difference, especially for a dome team.

Not so fast my friend ... The Cowboys own the tiebreaker ... They now control their destiny for the NFC East.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Cleveland UHX, 20°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

14 minutes ago, tatertot said:

Not so fast my friend ... The Cowboys own the tiebreaker ... They now control their destiny for the NFC East.

I wish I had watched that game. I switched to BAL/MIA since Philly was up 21-6 at the half. BAL/MIA got boring so I went out back and hit balls into the net. I wasn’t even aware Philly lost until I read your post!

Edited by Triple Lindy

NFL RESULTS WK. 16

N.E. / WINGS     O/40.5     (27-21)      W +5 

HOT LANTA / CHIC.     O39     (37-17)     W +5

FISH / BALT.   -3     W +5

WK.   15 PTS.

YTD.   122

WK.  3-0   

YTD.   25-25-1

dogs-clap.png

Edited by Qqq123xx
  • Like 3

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

1 hour ago, nsxguy said:

Maybe you were the first to think of that play ? I've seen heard about it many times.

... LOL, pre internet and I was in the 8th grade so it was all my own idea. 😇  But I have no doubts it was run before then so I am not claiming ownership. Although thinking about it, I have also never seen it run by anyone else. Just seems like the kind of Jr High or High School play that would take place out in rural America where football is the main event. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Triple Lindy said:

Definitely a bad call. It’s also happened a million times before and bad calls that impact the outcome will happen again. I heard on ESPN this morning that the ref tells the defense who reports as eligible. Who knows how that might have altered how it played out since the defense was told #70 reported as eligible and not #68. Since the Lions got to run a play from the exact same place (after offsides on Dallas), basically a “do-over”, it played out as fairly as possible, given the bad call. To your point about Goff, had he placed the ball better, they would have converted on the last attempt.

As far as firing goes, based on the full body of work by that crew, I’d agree wholeheartedly. Same crew that didn’t call PI on Green Bay against Kansas City. Saw several other horrible non-calls by that same crew on pregame shows. 

The worst part is that a loss wouldn’t have hurt Dallas at all. Philly won’t lose the last 2 games and that’s what it would take for Dallas to win the division. And they can’t finish any worse than the top wild card team. OTH, the Lions would be the #2 seed if they had won their last 2 games, with an outside shot at the #1 seed. They’ll now be the #3 seed, which means a road trip in the divisional round instead of a home game. Big difference, especially for a dome team.

The Cardinals just beat the Eagles. 

Wow.

Cowboy fans are happy. 

Edited by touch
  • Like 1

Callaway        Paradym  Hzrdus Silver 

Callaway        Epic Flash 3-5-7 fw's  Even Flow Green   
Callaway          X Hot 11 wood  Project X PXv

TM                  P790   6-PW  Recoil ESX 

PING               Glide 3.0  50, 56, 60  all SS 

TM                  Spider cs 

Da Bearz just keep getting better ... +5 

Rams giving 6.5 and up 26 to 19 late, teased me ... 0 points

Bucs were never in it ... 0 points

+5 total week 17

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chisag said:

Da Bearz just keep getting better ... +5 

Rams giving 6.5 and up 26 to 19 late, teased me ... 0 points

Bucs were never in it ... 0 points

+5 total week 17

Bears keep getting better, that means they will screw up and keep Fields, just like the fans wanted all along!😎

• Like 1

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

NFL Results

Houston W +5 pts

Patriots cover W +5 pts

Tampa took the day off L 0 pts

10 points for the week

• Like 2

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

32 minutes ago, Triple Lindy said:

Gotta say, I never saw that coming. I was giving the Iggles a W against Arizona. Who knew?

And that's just the kind of game that will scald many next year when we are picking winners only, no spread. 😄

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, touch said:

Ah Mr DFW, the Cardinals just beat the Eagles. 

Wow.

... And still gonna get Harrison Jr in the draft. Unless the beat the Seahawks and the Commanders lose to the Cowboys. But even then, unless someone trades their pick I think the Commanders take Jaylen Danials and Harrison would still go to the Cards. We just might see QB's go 1, 2, 3 in April. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NJBigFish22 said:

Bears keep getting better, that means they will screw up and keep Fields, just like the fans wanted all along!😎

... LOL, defense is the reason. And every fan I still know doesn't want to keep him. Fields has admittedly played really well against bad teams. Yet listening to the game today the announcers said several times he held the ball too long and I just don't ever see that changing. Fields can win on his running alone. He is electric and plenty of Bears fans are in love with that. But I can't fathom the Bears keeping him even if just from a financial perspective when they can get Maye or Williams for about 75 million less over the next 4 years. When it comes to the Bears and the draft, I have been wrong much more than right. 🙄

45 minutes ago, chisag said:

Bucs were never in it .

True that.

I'm thinking Baker has been solid and they are at home in sunny warm weather, the Saints can put up TD's so this one should exceed 42.5 points with some ease. It was an Under because like you said the Bucs were never in it. 

So my Under on Thursday Night was an Over. My Over in Tampa was an Under. I did get one correct though. The Rams and the G Men did go over 42 points. 

1-2 with my Totals Picks this week.

+5 points 

Edited by touch
  • Like 3

My Week17 results

2-1

Jags                     Loss                     0 points

Bills                      Win                       5 points

Ravens                 Win                       5 points

Total                                                 10 points

Previous Total               149 points

Total after week17        159 points

• Like 2

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Here's a gem from the Cardinals Eagles game.

• Like 1

The last day of the 2023 New Years Eve NFL Picks Thread Poll 

It's simple, name your two favorite RB's of all time. 

LP 

Eric Dickerson 

Barry Sanders 

Top 10 NFL Running Backs of All Time: No. 5 Eric Dickerson‏ | News, Scores,  Highlights, Stats, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

Barry Sanders' 10 best rushing games - Vintage Detroit Collection

Our Picks  Week 17      Final Edition 

P3P               Atlanta                 Houston                SEA/PGH  Over

Q                  NE/BUFF Over     ATL/CHI Over        Baltimore

chisag          Chicago               LA Rams                Tampa

TL                 Detroit                 LA Rams                Tampa

imk              New England       Arizona                   Washington       

LP                NYJ/CLE Under   LAR/NYG Over      NO/TPA Over 

NJBF            Tampa                 New England         Houston

NCL           DET/DAL Over       Seattle                   Green Bay 

DMM            Detroit                  LA Chargers          Miami

nsx             CAR/JAX Over      MIA/BAL Over       NE/BUF  Over 

CH                Detroit                Seattle                    Buffalo

doc             DET/DAL Under   NY Giants               Buffalo

Lines for Picks       Week 17 

Thursday

NY Jets                         at                   Cleveland -7 1/2            36

Saturday

Detroit                         at                    Dallas -6 1/2                   53 1/2 

Sunday

New England              at                    Buffalo -12                     40 1/2 

Carolina                      at                    Jacksonville -6 1/2        37 1/2

New Orleans              at                     Tampa -3                       42 1/2

Atlanta                        at                     Chicago -3                     39

Tennessee                 at                      Houston -3 1/2              42 1/2

Arizona                      at                      Philadelphia -10 1/2       47 1/2

San Fran -13 1/2        at                     Washington                   48 1/2

Miami                          at                     Baltimore -3                  47

LA Rams -6 1/2          at                     NY Giants                      42

Las Vegas                  at                     Indy-3                            44

Pittsburgh                  at                     Seattle -3 1/2                41 1/2

LA Chargers               at                    Denver -5 1/2                38 1/2

Cincinnati                   at                     Kansas City -7 1/2        45 1/2

Green Bay                  at                    Minnesota -1 1/2            46

NO Monday Night Game 

Overall Standings Week 16

180 Pts - NCLancer

149 Pts - NSX

Doc

144 Pts - CHuntsman

139 Pts - NJBF

132 Pts - P3P

131 Pts - imKirby

114 Pts - Chisag

107 Pts - QQQ