Wilson 2024 new staff blade/cb, dynapower forged, staff wedges, staff balls

67VIP

13 minutes ago, Bowmangolf12 said:

Those wedges look great. Vokey vibes for sure. Always wanted to play the blades but I don’t have the game. 

The CB’s are more forgiving than you think, while still giving the forged feel and look at address.

• Like 3

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

15 minutes ago, Orchardist said:

I doubt they go stronger lofts with the blade or cb, that's not the club design.  Really surprised if they screw it up in that manner.

The current pw loft is 46, dropping to 44* with a 48* aw would align with most other comparable clubs. When I do fittings with the CB the first thing anybody says is OMG it’s so short! No amount of logic or explanation that the 7 iron is 4-5 degrees weaker in loft is acceptable.🤦‍♂️

• Haha 1

w/KBS $-Taper 110

23 minutes ago, Orchardist said:

If you need jacked lofts you should look elsewhere. 

I would agree 100%, most retail customers do not understand a. there is no industry standard for loft/lie/length, b. irons are on average 6-8 degrees stronger than 15-20 years ago, c. the new balls & shafts have more to do with distance gains than anything else…i.e. drivers have been limited at 460cc and .830 COR since 2007. Sometimes I think I should keep a pitcher of martinis in the hitting bay when I do fittings…probably less painful for me & the customer.🤣🤦‍♂️

w/KBS $-Taper 110

1 hour ago, Orchardist said:

100% they don’t play short.  If you need a canon buy something else.  If you need a scalpel,  Hello Wilson!

Amen brother man!

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Played the new staff ball today in comparison to the current triad…has a higher trajectory (not as high as the new TP5 prototype), has more green side spin than triad (that is very surprising because I can’t get enough spin on the current staff ball with staff wedges, had to go back to sm9’s before I switched back to the triad four months ago), and appears to be about 10 yards longer off the driver/3 wood and about 5 yards on irons. Others may get different results better or worse, but I like the feel a lot…almost exactly like triad. Green side touch was very nice…even if I didn’t hit it exactly right. I hit a few shots with the new staff x as well…that’s too much ball for me, very firm like the current staff model and I already know it will not work for me. I’ve been to several Wilson product seminars and they clearly state that you need 100+ mph swing speed to activate the core of the current staff model (as well as the forthcoming 2024 staff x model) and gain full performance…I ain’t got that anymore, too old too much wear & tear. 

Edited by 67VIP
Clarification
  • Like 2

w/KBS $-Taper 110

31 minutes ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Saw the new stuff again today, first saw it last month just on a "look but don't touch" mode.  Today the rep was back for a fitting day, and he let myself our Director of Golf and one of our customers hit the new clubs.   They both put on a stripe show with the the CB's...our DOG was purring the Staff Model as well but he just loved the height and ball flight he was getting with the CB's,   115 Apex, 195 carry 46 degree descent.   What wasn't' too love.   He's on staff with TM, but he was sure having envy, of our Lead Instructor who is on Wilson Staff. 

I'm a mere aging mortal compared to those guys and never thought I could hit the CB.  I tried it with their KBS shaft 120 or 130 G not sure which one shaft.   But was hitting the soft little 110 yard shots...Ha   But it felt so good,  I told the rep to go ahead and put in a shaft closer to my T350 Steelfibers I80.   HE gave me the Recoil Dart 75 and man that club came alive for me.   Noting like those guys, but I was getting ball speed as good on most if not better than myT350 and this is with the CB lofts of 34 vs the 29 on the T350.   Carry might was pretty close as well.    But I will say the CB is the best feeling iron I have hit since.......wait for it.   The V6 Forged from several years ago.   I played that for a season before moving on to Titleist. 

I didn't want to wait for he Spring so I put a order in for the current CB's with the Recoils.  I also tried the KBS Tour Lite and KBS Max but the Recoils just felt so much smoother to me.  

@67VIP has said everything else that needs to be said about the new DynaPower Forged, maybe i'll look at picking up the say 5 and 6 in those come spring, if I feel i need a bit more pop on that end.  

Also from our Director of Instruction, he loved the new shafts in the Wedges, much heavier and gave him a better feel going through the sand than the current model.  

Great stuff currently out and coming from Wilson in 2024! 

My first set of Wilson’s was the CB with Recoil 460, felt great but too high a launch and had to bend them a couple of degrees stronger to get a decent ball flight. Second set was D9 Forged with the Recoil Dart 75…just about money on that set. Third was a blend of staff utility/D9 Forged/CB with Recoil Dart 75…that’s my spare/winter set. The set I play now is unreal…D9 Forged 5-GW with kbs $-taper 110, the feel & trajectory is fabulous! The Dynapower Forged is gonna be my next set with $-taper 110…that shaft brings back a lot of memories from how I used to hit the ball when I was younger. 🇺🇸

• Like 1

w/KBS $-Taper 110

I had the D9Forged at the beginning of last year and I just never took to them.   Can’t even recall what shaft o had in them.  I ordered them blind from the rep as soon as they were available.   I hadn’t played the Recoil Dart before.  But as mentioned I was getting good results from them.  I have played the Smac Wrap 760 before.   

That’s a killer setup you have now. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

17 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Saw the new stuff again today, first saw it last month just on a "look but don't touch" mode.  Today the rep was back for a fitting day, and he let myself our Director of Golf and one of our customers hit the new clubs.   They both put on a stripe show with the the CB's...our DOG was purring the Staff Model as well but he just loved the height and ball flight he was getting with the CB's,   115 Apex, 195 carry 46 degree descent.   What wasn't' too love.   He's on staff with TM, but he was sure having envy, of our Lead Instructor who is on Wilson Staff. 

I'm a mere aging mortal compared to those guys and never thought I could hit the CB.  I tried it with their KBS shaft 120 or 130 G not sure which one shaft.   But was hitting the soft little 110 yard shots...Ha   But it felt so good,  I told the rep to go ahead and put in a shaft closer to my T350 Steelfibers I80.   HE gave me the Recoil Dart 75 and man that club came alive for me.   Noting like those guys, but I was getting ball speed as good on most if not better than myT350 and this is with the CB lofts of 34 vs the 29 on the T350.   Carry might was pretty close as well.    But I will say the CB is the best feeling iron I have hit since.......wait for it.   The V6 Forged from several years ago.   I played that for a season before moving on to Titleist. 

I didn't want to wait for he Spring so I put a order in for the current CB's with the Recoils.  I also tried the KBS Tour Lite and KBS Max but the Recoils just felt so much smoother to me.  

@67VIP has said everything else that needs to be said about the new DynaPower Forged, maybe i'll look at picking up the say 5 and 6 in those come spring, if I feel i need a bit more pop on that end.  

Also from our Director of Instruction, he loved the new shafts in the Wedges, much heavier and gave him a better feel going through the sand than the current model.  

Great stuff currently out and coming from Wilson in 2024! 

curious, my driver swing speed is 90, been wanting to try the recoil dart 75 what is your driver swingspeed? thanks

38 minutes ago, orr444 said:

curious, my driver swing speed is 90, been wanting to try the recoil dart 75 what is your driver swingspeed? thanks

it's around 82-83 on most swings.   I didn't hit driver yesterday while he had the GC Quad out.    I play SteelFiber I80 in all my other irons.   I had not really tried the Recoil Dart before--I had actually heard some mixed comments on it.-but it felt nice and lively to me.   And either it or the head or the combo of both those gave me a very nice tight dispersion on all my shots. 

Vokey

52 minutes ago, orr444 said:

The recoil dart 75 is offered in stiff & regular…I play the regular flex in my 18/21 staff utility irons and my spare set of D9 Forged/CB. My driver swing speed is 95-98, once in a while 100mph. Wilson also offers the Recoil Dart 65 in regular/stiff/senior flex and it’s noticeably softer than the 75 regular flex. Possibly the 65 stiff might work for you as it has a higher torque rating than the 75. 

w/KBS $-Taper 110

11 minutes ago, Glock917 said:

Just curious is that wedge really a bore through? Or is that end cap just aesthetics? 

Yes the shaft comes down a little further (which enhances feel…Wilson has done a bore through on wedges and irons for decades), but not like a true bore through (the shaft comes out through the bottom of the sole plate) like the old Titleist 975D/J drivers. 

Edited by 67VIP
Clarification

w/KBS $-Taper 110

1 hour ago, orr444 said:

I'm old and stubborn not sure I want to move to 65. I have the stock kbs r shaft in my d9 forged. Any idea when club champion and other fitting will receive the new stuff? Very excited about everything

January/February is the anticipated release date…club champion would not be a recommended fitter, you should be able to get a free fitting from a worldwide golf shop or pga superstore in your area. 

• Like 1

w/KBS $-Taper 110

14 minutes ago, 67VIP said:

Any authorized dealer such as Worldwide Golf Shops or PGA Superstore will have access to the full range of stock & custom shafts that Wilson offers through custom build…the list is fairly extensive for irons. Some of that will not be in the fitting cart…that just isn’t economical. If you buy from club champion you will pay an exorbitant fitting fee, pressure to upgrade to some exotic shaft nobody has ever heard of, and your clubs will not have the same feel or swing weight on their demo as the adapters they use alter the swing weight. The biggest kicker is they do not get heads from manufacturers…they get sets which are disassembled in Chicago and then fitted with whatever shaft you selected…base price is the full retail price plus any upgrades. You also do not get the shafts they pulled despite paying for them in full. You also do not get the manufacturer warranty…you get to deal with club champion for any defects or warranty issues. They will turn a $1100 set to $5K at the drop of a hat. My set of Wilson D9 Forged I paid $90 for the set to upgrade the shafts to kbs $-taper 110…I could have gotten a few other kbs offerings with no upcharge but the $-taper has better feel. And I demo’d it in a set of cobra king tour mims…

This is one of the times, I wish the reaction buttons had a LOVE option instead just a like.   So I'll leave it as a golf clap for the best post on CC operation I've ever seen!   👏👏👏

• Thanks 1

Vokey

4 hours ago, orr444 said:

I'm old and stubborn not sure I want to move to 65. I have the stock kbs r shaft in my d9 forged. Any idea when club champion and other fitting will receive the new stuff? Very excited about everything

I may not have the years of fitting experience that @67VIP does, but one thing I have learned from some very good fitters a while back.   Don't' let the weight of a graphite shaft scare you.  It's not a true gram for gram exchange with steel.  A good rule of thumb is to go 20 gram lighter in graphite than steel to get close to the same feel.   So a 65 or 75 g graphite might equate to say a KBS 90 or something along those lines.  So it's not as drastic as it might sound.   I have actually found that to be true as well.  Going from Modus 105 at one point to 80G  SteelFiber and not feeling a big difference at all. 

• Like 1

Vokey

4 hours ago, 67VIP said:

Any authorized dealer such as Worldwide Golf Shops or PGA Superstore will have access to the full range of stock & custom shafts that Wilson offers through custom build…the list is fairly extensive for irons. Some of that will not be in the fitting cart…that just isn’t economical. If you buy from club champion you will pay an exorbitant fitting fee, pressure to upgrade to some exotic shaft nobody has ever heard of, and your clubs will not have the same feel or swing weight on their demo as the adapters they use alter the swing weight. The biggest kicker is they do not get heads from manufacturers…they get sets which are disassembled in Chicago and then fitted with whatever shaft you selected…base price is the full retail price plus any upgrades. You also do not get the shafts they pulled despite paying for them in full. You also do not get the manufacturer warranty…you get to deal with club champion for any defects or warranty issues. They will turn a $1100 set to $5K at the drop of a hat. My set of Wilson D9 Forged I paid $90 for the set to upgrade the shafts to kbs $-taper 110…I could have gotten a few other kbs offerings with no upcharge but the $-taper has better feel. And I demo’d it in a set of cobra king tour mims…

Edited by orr444
repeating my message

15 minutes ago, orr444 said:

I have for fittings than buy clubs elsewhere. I have been very specific on what i want to try.

Same here.  Most local shops are limited to very limited manufacturer specific demos matrix’s.  Seems like most manufactures have about 20 shafts in the matrix, and 18 of those are under 120 grams and regular to stiff flex.  

Mizuno is about the best.  Then maybe Taylor made.  Titleist is shockingly poor in my area.

1 hour ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

Same here.  Most local shops are limited to very limited manufacturer specific demos matrix’s.  Seems like most manufactures have about 20 shafts in the matrix, and 18 of those are under 120 grams and regular to stiff flex.  

Mizuno is about the best.  Then maybe Taylor made.  Titleist is shockingly poor in my area.

Mizuno is practically overkill with their shafts in the fitting cart…how many of those 50+ flavors is anybody actually going to hit? I think it would be fair to say most of the players on this forum are connoisseurs of the game and their equipment…that is not the case with the average duffer in the retail world. I have had customers come in to pickup their clubs and they can’t remember wtf they ordered! They come in for a fitting and they can’t even answer the most basic questions about their current equipment…”do you even play?” This is why I believe most of the manufacturers tailor their fitting carts to the average customer…but will offer more options through custom build and are expecting that type of customer knows his game inside and out. A lot of the most popular shafts out there are simply a case of Cadillac/Buick/Chevy/GMC…for instance Mitsubishi Tenzei blue is similar to the better Ventus blue Taylormade gets from Fujikura (it has lower torque). KbS vs Dynamic Gold, etc. I played DG S300 for thirty years but kbs tour has better feel and a bit better trajectory…Project X is a 2x4 that feels like you hit a tree with a baseball bat. I never compare or foist my personal preferences on a customer. I get cranky every once in a while and walk away from somebody in the fitting bay…if they’re an a** or just not listening, but hey if you think you’re smarter than me, knock yourself out. I sell a ton of Ping but would never play it in a million years…I hate offset irons and draw bias woods. I learned to play in 1978 with blades, pear shaped persimmon woods…I still look for and favor those types of clubs. I played MacGregor for 15 years, broke my heart when they closed the doors. When I was offered the chance to team up with Wilson I dived in head first…classic never goes out of style. My personal sales leaders are Taylormade, Titleist, Ping, Wilson, Callaway…in that order. I would love to do better for Wilson and with the new toys coming down the track I should be able to move more product. The Dynapower driver is a monster and they are adding a couple of shaft options for 2024. 👍🇺🇸

• Like 1

w/KBS $-Taper 110

11 minutes ago, 67VIP said:

Mizuno is practically overkill with their shafts in the fitting cart…how many of those 50+ flavors is anybody actually going to hit? I think it would be fair to say most of the players on this forum are connoisseurs of the game and their equipment…that is not the case with the average duffer in the retail world. I have had customers come in to pickup their clubs and they can’t remember wtf they ordered! They come in for a fitting and they can’t even answer the most basic questions about their current equipment…”do you even play?” This is why I believe most of the manufacturers tailor their fitting carts to the average customer…but will offer more options through custom build and are expecting that type of customer knows his game inside and out. A lot of the most popular shafts out there are simply a case of Cadillac/Buick/Chevy/GMC…for instance Mitsubishi Tenzei blue is similar to the better Ventus blue Taylormade gets from Fujikura (it has lower torque). KbS vs Dynamic Gold, etc. I played DG S300 for thirty years but kbs tour has better feel and a bit better trajectory…Project X is a 2x4 that feels like you hit a tree with a baseball bat. I never compare or foist my personal preferences on a customer. I get cranky every once in a while and walk away from somebody in the fitting bay…if they’re an a** or just not listening, but hey if you think you’re smarter than me, knock yourself out. I sell a ton of Ping but would never play it in a million years…I hate offset irons and draw bias woods. I learned to play in 1978 with blades, pear shaped persimmon woods…I still look for and favor those types of clubs. I played MacGregor for 15 years, broke my heart when they closed the doors. When I was offered the chance to team up with Wilson I dived in head first…classic never goes out of style. My personal sales leaders are Taylormade, Titleist, Ping, Wilson, Callaway…in that order. I would love to do better for Wilson and with the new toys coming down the track I should be able to move more product. The Dynapower driver is a monster and they are adding a couple of shaft options for 2024. 👍🇺🇸

I get it.  But as you pointed out, wouldn’t it make sense to have less options for the average duffer as you put it,  and more for the connoisseur?

I usually play a px, kbs tour, or modus.  Give me one of those in 125-130 grams and xstiff and I can get an idea of how the club feels and will play for me.   Wilson doesn’t offer that in my neck of the woods.  That’s a miss.    

Edited by Pnwpingi210
  • Like 1