2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Wilson 2024 new staff blade/cb, dynapower forged, staff wedges, staff balls

67VIP

29 minutes ago, rainkingjr said:

I just hope they don't go stronger with the lofts on the CB and Blade. 34* 7 iron and 46* PW are the sweet spot in my opinion. I'm not nor will I ever be a fan of 32* 7 irons. If I had it my way, they'd all still be 36*

I was disappointed when they went away from the 35* 7 iron 

• Like 2

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

On 9/26/2023 at 11:17 AM, 67VIP said:

The recoil dart 75 is offered in stiff & regular…I play the regular flex in my 18/21 staff utility irons and my spare set of D9 Forged/CB. My driver swing speed is 95-98, once in a while 100mph. Wilson also offers the Recoil Dart 65 in regular/stiff/senior flex and it’s noticeably softer than the 75 regular flex. Possibly the 65 stiff might work for you as it has a higher torque rating than the 75. 

Would going from a kbs tour lite in my d9 forged to 65 dart be a big change??

1 hour ago, rainkingjr said:

I don't want to go into the whole jacked lofts rabbiit hole debate. It's just my personal preference.  I want my 7 iron to spin in the upper 6 to low 7 thousands and so on. 

wasn’t trying to debate anything. Was simply asking about why you prefer those lofts over others as I’m considering similar . The second part answers it thanks!

On 10/19/2023 at 3:05 PM, Orchardist said:

image.jpeg.fcbfcc24c02499b46fdb7e903c1b0f53.jpeg

Wilson listened, they're going with this...they figure the superstore salesman might at least stop once in a while as they walk the customer past their product line.

Seriously....

------------------

On the other hand, I am a bit put off by the lack of w/s in the shield as well, but they may look better in person than the pictures suggest.  I'll withhold judgment.

12 hours ago, orr444 said:

Would going from a kbs tour lite in my d9 forged to 65 dart be a big change??

In stiff flex it probably would…it’s a 100g shaft that is comparable to DG105. In regular flex probably somewhat similar…although the kbs tour lite might possibly feel like it has a more active tip. It’s also going to be substantially lighter…almost 40 grams. I would also recommend the kbs $-taper lite or $-taper 110. I think both of those have better feel/feedback than tour lite. If you are really learning towards graphite you might consider the dart 75 in regular flex, that will give you more control and tighter dispersion than the 65.

Dynapwr Carbon/TSr3 10.0*     w/Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 60g
Taylormade Qi10 Fwy 15* & Hyb 19*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 60/70g

Wilson Staff Utility Iron 21*
w/Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g

Wilson Staff Dynapwr Forged 5-PW

w/KBS $-Taper 110

Vokey SM9 48/52/58 w/DG S200

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5+

11 hours ago, Liveonce said:

wasn’t trying to debate anything. Was simply asking about why you prefer those lofts over others as I’m considering similar . The second part answers it thanks!

Don’t forget the most important aspect of the jacked lofts…it requires you to “feed the rat” as in buy more wedges to fill the gap from your 44* or less PW to your still standard 56* SW. Everyone is still playing pretty much the same clubs as 20 years ago…they just have a different number on the sole. The biggest difference is the ball, shaft technology, and hollow body iron design/technology that allows the face to flex like a driver (gotta hit that 200 yard nine iron like we see on tv).

• Like 1

w/KBS $-Taper 110

This is where Wilson seems to mess the boat. There is conversation here and only here regarding the new clubs, balls and the logo change. They are months from a launch. No teases on social, no talk of these clubs in any other similar site. I feel like one of them actively doesn't like the brand. There are some pictures, some excitement from old guys like me. The jacked up loft back and forth then the brand goes into the ether until next year. 

• Like 1

Cobra Speed Zone
Tour Exotics 722 3W
TaylorMade Hybrid 22*

Cobra Speedzone 7-GW 

Cobra Snake bite 56 & 60
Wilson Staff Bucktown Putter

Wilson Staff Triad

NEW Wilson STAFF Ball

Stitch LS Bag

3 hours ago, Steve o said:

This is where Wilson seems to mess the boat. There is conversation here and only here regarding the new clubs, balls and the logo change. They are months from a launch. No teases on social, no talk of these clubs in any other similar site. I feel like one of them actively doesn't like the brand. There are some pictures, some excitement from old guys like me. The jacked up loft back and forth then the brand goes into the ether until next year. 

curious which site you think "actively doesn' like" Wilson, the Hacker or Spy site? 

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

1 hour ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

curious which site you think "actively doesn' like" Wilson, the Hacker or Spy site? 

Not Spy. Just my opinion. And they don't have to.

• Like 1

Cobra Speed Zone
Tour Exotics 722 3W
TaylorMade Hybrid 22*

Cobra Speedzone 7-GW 

Cobra Snake bite 56 & 60

Wilson Staff Triad

NEW Wilson STAFF Ball

Stitch LS Bag

1 minute ago, Steve o said:

Not Spy. Just my opinion. And they don't have to.

Yeah, I was going to say, I can promise you Spy loves Wilson. One of the main writers there is a huge Wilson Staff guy and the former head of the Most Wanted Testing went to Wilson earlier this year as a new Product Manager. 

• Like 4

Vokey

33 minutes ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Yeah, I was going to say, I can promise you Spy loves Wilson. One of the main writers there is a huge Wilson Staff guy and the former head of the Most Wanted Testing went to Wilson earlier this year as a new Product Manager. 

I did know that but forgot. Age does that.. Plus, the 3W won their best fairway club this year.Everyone has favorites. I have a strong pull to Wilson but can't blame folks for liking what they like. I  hope they get the marketing right and give themselves a chance.

• Like 2

Cobra Speed Zone
Tour Exotics 722 3W
TaylorMade Hybrid 22*

Cobra Speedzone 7-GW 

Cobra Snake bite 56 & 60

Wilson Staff Triad

NEW Wilson STAFF Ball

Stitch LS Bag

19 minutes ago, Steve o said:

I did know that but forgot. Age does that.. Plus, the 3W won their best fairway club this year.Everyone has favorites. I have a strong pull to Wilson but can't blame folks for liking what they like. I  hope they get the marketing right and give themselves a chance.

Yep, indeed on the FW.  When they were last out here a few weeks ago, the rep made sure and mentioned that to each person that came through.

Vokey

2 hours ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Yep, indeed on the FW.  When they were last out here a few weeks ago, the rep made sure and mentioned that to each person that came through.

How did you like the new wedge.That is a category I could see making the jump back to Wilson plus the Staff ball. The lower compression more like Triad

• Like 1

Cobra Speed Zone
Tour Exotics 722 3W
TaylorMade Hybrid 22*

Cobra Speedzone 7-GW 

Cobra Snake bite 56 & 60

Wilson Staff Triad

NEW Wilson STAFF Ball

Stitch LS Bag

I too would love to see them achieve staff blade level with the current staff wedges.  Wedges get so much press. Of course in saying that those getting the most raves have the largest marketing budgets. I’ve come to terms with the current staff wedge I recently purchased.  It’s taken a fair amount of lead tape but it’s dialed in now. Overall it’s falls behind in the land of the highest spin in my game but the sole/turf interaction and versatility of the face are as good as any other.

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 7:03 PM, rainkingjr said:

I just hope they don't go stronger with the lofts on the CB and Blade. 34* 7 iron and 46* PW are the sweet spot in my opinion. I'm not nor will I ever be a fan of 32* 7 irons. If I had it my way, they'd all still be 36*

I feel like a 32° 7 iron is the sweet spot between traditional lofts (35/36°) and mega-jacked modern lofts (27°). 

For that reason I do want a 32° 7 iron, but no lower. Each to their own though, of course. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Steve o said:

How did you like the new wedge.That is a category I could see making the jump back to Wilson plus the Staff ball. The lower compression more like Triad

Liked it a lot.  I will definitely grab one to give it a try, Vokey's have been solidly in my bag for over 8 years so it usually takes something special to get the starting slot over them, but I'm certainly not against giving them a try. 

Vokey

On 11/1/2023 at 7:07 AM, 67VIP said:

In stiff flex it probably would…it’s a 100g shaft that is comparable to DG105. In regular flex probably somewhat similar…although the kbs tour lite might possibly feel like it has a more active tip. It’s also going to be substantially lighter…almost 40 grams. I would also recommend the kbs $-taper lite or $-taper 110. I think both of those have better feel/feedback than tour lite. If you are really learning towards graphite you might consider the dart 75 in regular flex, that will give you more control and tighter dispersion than the 65.

thanks, yes been playing a kbs tour lite r flex for years (kbs tour 90 before) looking for less wear and tear on my old body, 88 to 90 driver swing speed. Appreciate your advice!

On 11/1/2023 at 7:15 AM, 67VIP said:

Don’t forget the most important aspect of the jacked lofts…it requires you to “feed the rat” as in buy more wedges to fill the gap from your 44* or less PW to your still standard 56* SW. Everyone is still playing pretty much the same clubs as 20 years ago…they just have a different number on the sole. The biggest difference is the ball, shaft technology, and hollow body iron design/technology that allows the face to flex like a driver (gotta hit that 200 yard nine iron like we see on tv).

what happens besides the club being longer if i soft shaft kbs tour liter or kns$taperlite95?

thanks

15 hours ago, orr444 said:

what happens besides the club being longer if i soft shaft kbs tour liter or kns$taperlite95?

thanks

Soft step in theory lets you get sort of in between flexes, exactly the opposite of hard stepping. Most iron sets have shaft lengths in 1/2 inch increments, so placing a five iron shaft in a six iron with regular flex will be softer…the tip section will be longer. That does not produce the same result as adding a 1/2 inch extension or cutting the shaft length at plus 1/2 inch…you still have the same tip length. You’ll probably get a bit higher launch & spin, which could be a good thing…or not. I’d try one club before doing the whole set. With your swing speed you are probably borderline between recoil dart 65/75. Club makers used to be able to do all kinds of things with the old true temper dynamic shaft, which was a one length shaft tip trimmed and butt trimmed for flex and designated club length. Dynamic Gold ruined that 40+ years ago. 

Edited by 67VIP

w/KBS $-Taper 110

On 11/3/2023 at 6:40 AM, 67VIP said:

Soft step in theory lets you get sort of in between flexes, exactly the opposite of hard stepping. Most iron sets have shaft lengths in 1/2 inch increments, so placing a five iron shaft in a six iron with regular flex will be softer…the tip section will be longer. That does not produce the same result as adding a 1/2 inch extension or cutting the shaft length at plus 1/2 inch…you still have the same tip length. You’ll probably get a bit higher launch & spin, which could be a good thing…or not. I’d try one club before doing the whole set. With your swing speed you are probably borderline between recoil dart 65/75. Club makers used to be able to do all kinds of things with the old true temper dynamic shaft, which was a one length shaft tip trimmed and butt trimmed for flex and designated club length. Dynamic Gold ruined that 40+ years ago. 

i understand that. Was at pga superstore yesterday and the recoil dart was way to light for me. Might just soft step the tour lite and get the desired feel in r flex

7 hours ago, bluehose said:

What’s the story on the headcover?

It’s a gorgeous red and white leather headcover that I was given almost two years ago…before there was even a whisper of the Dynapower driver. I believe they were made for promotional purposes, I’ve never even seen one for sale on the Wilson website. 

• Like 1

w/KBS $-Taper 110

5 hours ago, Orchardist said:

I think you have some splaining to do here…..

I had a really good round yesterday, shot 74 from the blues with four birdies despite playing through three groups of old farts and being held up by two others at a local muni. Birdied three of four par fives and was killing the driver all day…much to the chagrin of the old farts I blew through. They really eff’d up my rhythm on the back nine, but I got it done anyway…iced it with a three wood/pitching wedge to five feet and birdie on 18. I was reveling in the afterglow and decided to do a little promo for my tools of the trade…

Edited by 67VIP
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

w/KBS $-Taper 110