East Valley (Scottsdale) membership advice… NON ARCIS

Par72

Hey All, looking for any advice for some reasonably priced clubs in the east valley. Specifically non Arcis ran clubs. I’m a range rat who ideally would play 4/5 times a week, so being a public player has been torture. Under 40, low cap player ideally would find a club with lots of other similar players. Not looking to spend over 100k initiation which limits me in north Scottsdale. Mess country club has a waitlist for young executives. I’m willing to travel to Mesa, chandler, cave creek or the Superstition Mountains for the right club.

Hoping there’s something out there I don’t know about… otherwise it’s gonna be a winter of bad slow golf at Arrowhead, which is cheap at the very least. Any suggestions are appreciated! 

There's pretty much nothing left in the east valley for private clubs once you exclude the big money Scottsdale/Cave Creek/Carefree places, Mesa CC, and Arcis-owned places. Seville is owned by Club Corp/Invited and I'd have to think is completely packed, Gainey Ranch is Club Corp/Invited and the course sucks, and I think Encanterra stopped selling memberships to non-residents of the community. Superstition Mountain Golf Club maybe? I know very little about that club.

Edit: I completely forgot about Alta Mesa per the poster below, so there's an option.

Edited by Bonneville85308

I’m the local Alta Mesa booster. Hands down can’t beat it for value in the east valley. 25k joining initiation, unlimited carts, no country club side shows, only golf. We have multiple groups at the club that have games every Saturday and Sunday and during the week as well where players of all skill level can find their people. It’s a member owned equity club and well run. We just redid the entire course in terms of grass moving to tiff tuff and the takeaway is no more over-seeding and 0 assessment for that. Junior members get $150 or so off monthly dues so that helps too. Last I heard only 2 spots left before we’re back on a wait list. Ping me if you have any questions.

Edited by whatsupwithgolf

12 hours ago, whatsupwithgolf said:

I’m the local Alta Mesa booster. Hands down can’t beat it for value in the east valley. 25k joining initiation, unlimited carts, no country club side shows, only golf. We have multiple groups at the club that have games every Saturday and Sunday and during the week as well where players of all skill level can find their people. It’s a member owned equity club and well run. We just redid the entire course in terms of grass moving to tiff tuff and the takeaway is no more over-seeding and 0 assessment for that. Junior members get $150 or so off monthly dues so that helps too. Last I heard only 2 spots left before we’re back on a wait list. Ping me if you have any questions.

I've never had the chance to play there but my place backs up the area of the 3rd, 4th and 5th holes. The course always looks immaculate. The crew executed the turf change-over flawlessly. I played with a guy recently that had played there a bunch over the years, and he felt like they had one of the best superintendents in the state. 

• Like 1

When I was a member at Seville it became so packed that a normal morning tee time was impossible to get.  I still play out there from time to time with friends.  The greens this summer werent good, and I think they stopped overseeding.  As grainy as any bermuda greens I have played.  Travesty as they used to be some of the best in the valley.  Not to mention they are (or were) asking over thirty K to join and about $1,200/month for dues.  Worst value ever.  My routine group all went to Alta Mesa and couldnt be happier.

19 hours ago, Par72 said:

Hey All, looking for any advice for some reasonably priced clubs in the east valley. Specifically non Arcis ran clubs. I’m a range rat who ideally would play 4/5 times a week, so being a public player has been torture. Under 40, low cap player ideally would find a club with lots of other similar players. Not looking to spend over 100k initiation which limits me in north Scottsdale. Mess country club has a waitlist for young executives. I’m willing to travel to Mesa, chandler, cave creek or the Superstition Mountains for the right club.

Hoping there’s something out there I don’t know about… otherwise it’s gonna be a winter of bad slow golf at Arrowhead, which is cheap at the very least. Any suggestions are appreciated! 

Is sounds like you are in NW Phx?  Why are you not looking at course there?  Anthems exec is quite a good deal for 2 courses and the facility.  Not sure what Blackstone is charging these days - prob too much.  Sterling is new.  

2 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Is sounds like you are in NW Phx?  Why are you not looking at course there?  Anthems exec is quite a good deal for 2 courses and the facility.  Not sure what Blackstone is charging these days - prob too much.  Sterling is new.  

Not sure where you’d come up with that. I’m in north Scottsdale. Arrowhead only enters the conversation as it is somewhat convenient for me driving wise and offers two courses and cheap facilities but it is a very mediocre options . If I’m gonna suck up Arcis just to play, I’d prefer to do it somewhere that’s cheap and easy to leave. 

15 hours ago, whatsupwithgolf said:

Thank you! I’ve actually heard some good things about Alta mesa. A pro friend is an honorary member there and has good things to say. I’m gonna look into it and hit you up with any questions! Thanks again.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Par72 said:

Not sure where you’d come up with that. I’m in north Scottsdale. Arrowhead only enters the conversation as it is somewhat convenient for me driving wise and offers two courses and cheap facilities but it is a very mediocre options . If I’m gonna suck up Arcis just to play, I’d prefer to do it somewhere that’s cheap and easy to leave. 

Sorry dude - sorry your offended...was just trying to help 🤣; hence why a question as asked!  In 95% of instances if someone mentions Arrowhead, they likely live up that way!   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, puttnforthe8 said:

Sorry dude - sorry your offended...was just trying to help 🤣; hence why a question as asked!  In 95% of instances if someone mentions Arrowhead, they likely live up that way!   

not offended dude…. Just not sure where you came up with that based on all the areas is specifically asked about. It’s all good and your suggestions are appreciated I will look into them. Sorry for any miscommunication and thank you for the help.

56 minutes ago, Par72 said:

not offended dude…. Just not sure where you came up with that based on all the areas is specifically asked about. It’s all good and your suggestions are appreciated I will look into them. Sorry for any miscommunication and thank you for the help.

You say you play at Arrowhead, you say N Scottsdale is not an option, you say you are willing to travel to the east valley.   As I stated - that suggests you are in that vicinity.  The NW is a pretty big area.  That's how I came up with it.  So I offered options...all better than anything in the 'east valley'.

Edited by puttnforthe8

8 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

You say you play at Arrowhead, you say N Scottsdale is not an option, you say you are willing to travel to the east valley.   As I stated - that suggests you are in that vicinity.  The NW is a pretty big area.  That's how I came up with it.  So I offered options...all better than anything in the 'east valley'.

You’re right. I’ll look into those. Thanks and apologies again.

11 hours ago, puttnforthe8 said:

A good assessment.  You have the "elite" membership places and then not many other options.

The only remotely appealing option I've found is Lookout Mountain, but even then the anytime membership is not insignificant (~$7k according to the website). The twilight time at roughly 3k looks better, for the practice access if nothing else, but paying that much and still having such limited times hurts - I'd still spend a ton of money on other courses to play in the mornings.

19 hours ago, Baraethon said:

The only remotely appealing option I've found is Lookout Mountain, but even then the anytime membership is not insignificant (~$7k according to the website). The twilight time at roughly 3k looks better, for the practice access if nothing else, but paying that much and still having such limited times hurts - I'd still spend a ton of money on other courses to play in the mornings.

Lookout is a goofy layout that doesn't get much love here, and for a good reason. It's practice area is nothing to write home about, you can't even hit driver on the range. 

20 hours ago, Baraethon said:

If people are looking for range options like @Par72 is asking here - then Talking Stick is the answer since he is willing to drive.  The PDP program is decent, although the 1 bag is sort of bs - but there are always plenty of balls to gather to hit more. About $1000 a year

4 hours ago, AzSuperHack76 said:

Lookout is a goofy layout that doesn't get much love here, and for a good reason. It's practice area is nothing to write home about, you can't even hit driver on the range. 

Wow, I didn't know that. Glad I didn't waste my time and money on a round there to check it out - I had heard the course itself was controversial, but I assumed the practice area was decent. Guess I'll take that one off my list then! Back to 0 lmao