Srixon ZX5 vs Mizuno Pro 225 (or MP 245)

putt_for_dough

First and foremost, would you guys even cross-shop these irons? I posted a while back because I can get a great deal on Mizuno irons, but it looks like I can get an almost equivalent discount on Srixon...I'm a relatively steep swinging lefty currently playing old MP60s. 

I’m between the Mizuno Pro 245 and Srixon ZX5. I got lucky and had a chance to hit both of these off a mat with a ProV1 and GC Quad (without club data). My ball speed was generally 127-130mph with the 7 irons (they both have slightly different lofts there), 40-45yds peak height, 50 degree descent angle, 5700-6000rpm (spun up a bit with a slice, dropped with a draw), roughly 190-195 carry. There wasn’t a huge difference in numbers between the two irons for me. 

I play off a 12 handicap (mainly losing balls OB with the driver) and wouldn’t consider myself an elite ball striker. I was previously a 4 handicap but hadn’t played more than 5 times total in the past 4 years until recently. Just getting back into the game. I’ve broken par multiple times and will go low a couple times a year—when the driver is on, my game is great. Otherwise, for now, I seem to settle in the low to mid-eighties most of the time but will probably shoot 90 on a new course on a bad day with harder driving conditions. I hit a lot of wedges because I play at altitude; even a 7000-yard course gets short.

I am not looking for extra distance at all but mainly chose these irons because they look sweet, tend to have decent “forgiveness,” get good reviews (or at least the previous gen MP 225 did), and I’m scared of true cavity backs/blades because I feel like my MP60s don’t help me as much as they could when I’m feeling off. I’d probably bend my potential new irons a degree or two weaker so that there’s better gapping into my wedges

I’ve played MP-60s that were hand-me-downs for the past 15+ years. My current irons are fine, but I’ve got some extra funds, I’m excited to be playing a lot of golf again, and I want to try something new and shiny haha. I am really interested in Srixon/Mizuno, but I guess I’d consider another club from someone else if it was a clear winner (but it seems like generally all brands make great clubs in pretty much every segment nowadays).

Lastly, if I don’t need the distance, should I consider other irons besides the MP 245 or ZX5? What about the ZX7? I’ve read a bunch of threads/watched reviews, but it’s hard to tell if there’s truly an increase in “forgiveness” between the ZX5 and ZX7. The "forgiveness" I’m looking for is tight front-to-back dispersion on a thin or toe miss. I just want the most forgiving irons out there to help me shoot the lowest score (that still look good.. curse vanity haha). I should note that I’m pretty steep, but I don’t have the chance to hit irons off of real grass before buying. I’ve heard good things about Srixon soles with steep swings.

The only brand I will not buy is Taylormade…all my friends play 'em, and I just don’t want to hop on that bandwagon right now.

TLDR

1. Should I be comparing the MP 245 (or 225) and ZX5 irons at all?
  2. Do these options seem good for my game/situation?
  3. If distance isn’t a concern, should I be looking at ZX7s? 
  4. If I don’t utilize different “shot shapes,” what would I even gain from something like a ZX7 other than “feel?”

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!! ...and I'm sorry for the novel haha

*I'd probably try to at least swing the ZX7s before buying if that's a club I should consider, but I feel like you can only learn so much from a 7 iron off a mat with a launch monitor...

Goofy Stance

Driver: 9° Ping G410 with Ping Tour 65X

3H: 20° Cobra Baffler DWS

Irons: Mizuno MP60 3-PW with DG X100

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52° - 56° - 60° 

Putters: Compass Golf Atwood

Both are great irons but I found the MP225 to be too low spin. The MP245 is rumored to be higher spinning and I’ll be trying those when released. If I can make the 245 work for me I’ll be ordering a set. 

I owned the ZX5 ii and they are really solid irons. I did find the sole too wide for my liking.  I also own the Cobra King Tour irons and you should add them to list. I have a strong dislike for Cobra so it says a lot I own their irons (and bagging their hybrid). 

I think you should also test the i230. 

I’m a long time Mizuno blade player and currently in the T100. 

• Like 2

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

Part of me is scared to test others since I had decent numbers with the ZX5/MP245, and I get a discount on them, but it’s good to know little things like you not getting along with the ZX5 sole. That’s the sort of stuff that’s hard to know from just a few swings on a mat. I wish it was easier to try irons on the range/course. 

Hopefully, I’ll hear from a few other people on here. Thanks for your quick, thorough reply @Jmccas

Goofy Stance

7 hours ago, putt_for_dough said:

Part of me is scared to test others since I had decent numbers with the ZX5/MP245, and I get a discount on them, but it’s good to know little things like you not getting along with the ZX5 sole. That’s the sort of stuff that’s hard to know from just a few swings on a mat. I wish it was easier to try irons on the range/course. 

Hopefully, I’ll hear from a few other people on here. Thanks for your quick, thorough reply @Jmccas

Did you mean the Mizuno Pro 225?

I hadn’t heard of the 245, and just checked the Mizuno website and only saw their JPX 923 line and the MP 225, 223, and 221?

Edit: Or is 245 in a different part of the World?

In North America it’s the MP 225.

I don’t know…Mizuno’s numbering system is kind of confusing, Lol.

Edited by BallerNate
  • Haha 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

22 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Did you mean the Mizuno Pro 225?

I hadn’t heard of the 245, and just checked the Mizuno website and only saw their JPX 923 line and the MP 225, 223, and 221?

Edit: Or is 245 in a different part of the World?

In North America it’s the MP 225.

I don’t know…Mizuno’s numbering system is kind of confusing, Lol.

245 is the new version of the 225 set to release very soon in US 

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST ◆◆◆  / Tour AD HD  

4wood - Cobra RadSpeed / Tour AD IZ

Hybrid - Callaway Apex / Tour AD DI 

Irons - Cobra Forge Tec  /  Dart V 90  

Wedges - Cleveland RTX 6  52 / 58 

Putter - TM Spider X   Ball - Titleist AVX

12 minutes ago, HalfSet said:

245 is the new version of the 225 set to release very soon in US 

Oh, Ok thanks.

So it’s in fitting carts now?

I guess that would be the challenge in comparing ZX5’s to 245’s…how many people have actually hit them?

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

16 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Oh, Ok thanks.

So it’s in fitting carts now?

I guess that would be the challenge in comparing ZX5’s to 245’s…how many people have actually hit them?

Many stores already have the heads, but they’re technically not supposed to be out for customer use for another week. 

The thread title is asking about 225 vs ZX5 because I know that very few people have hit the 245…I’m a lefty, so my only option will be the 245, but the guy who let me hit them said that the 225 and 245 were basically the same numbers-wise

Goofy Stance

17 minutes ago, putt_for_dough said:

Many stores already have the heads, but they’re technically not supposed to be out for customer use for another week. 

The thread title is asking about 225 vs ZX5 because I know that very few people have hit the 245…I’m a lefty, so my only option will be the 245, but the guy who let me hit them said that the 225 and 245 were basically the same numbers-wise

Oh, Ok gotcha.

Well, I didn't get to hit the MP 225 unfortunately.

I did test the Srixon ZX5 MKII vs the OG ZX5. Last year I gamed the '23 TM P770, and had a '23 TM P790 as well in terms of Irons released in the last year.

For me, the ZX5 MKII and OG ZX5 were almost identical, and both very good. The MKII is very slightly more compact, the V-Sole is a little bit more subtle, and the finish is slightly different. A very slight difference in feel, and performance...but nothing substantial/monumental.

So for me, I chose the OG ZX5 over the MKII because I prefer the looks, and I bought them at a fraction of the price.

Both the MKII and OG ZX5 had better feel than the P770's and P790's, and I got better distance and forgiveness in testing.

Unfortunately, I can't compare any of that to the MP 225, but hopefully those insights can still help you in some way.

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, putt_for_dough said:

Do you mean 223? The pro 225 doesn't come in LH. 

7 minutes ago, BaltimoreLefty said:

Do you mean 223? The pro 225 doesn't come in LH. 

haha nooooo...I am a lefty and am looking to buy either the ZX5, 245, ZX7, or something else depending on suggestions here, but I'm asking for insights on the 225 vs ZX5 from right-handers since they are the VAST majority of golfers. I care more about people's experience with the clubs and could not care less which side of the ball they stand on when they're hitting haha.

I asked for feedback with the title "Srixon ZX5 vs Mizuno Pro 225 (or MP 245)" knowing that there are hundreds to thousands of right-handers who have compared the ZX5 and 225 before. From everything I've heard, the 225 is pretty much identical to the 245 (despite what Mizuno wants us to think), so feedback on the MP 225 applies to me even though I'm a lefty...

Maybe I should repost this in a few weeks...I didn't think it was too confusing to ask about 225 vs ZX5, but I must have worded things poorly because everyone is getting confused haha.

Here's the TLDR from my original post again:

TLDR

4. If I don’t utilize different “shot shapes,” what would I even gain from something like a ZX7 other than “feel?”
  • Like 1

Goofy Stance

12 hours ago, putt_for_dough said:

If it’s between the two, I’d take MP245 over the ZX5. Better feel and great looks. Can you order me a set

at the discount lol (but not joking)?

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

I would lean towards sticking with Mizuno if that’s what you are coming from.

Srixon makes amazing clubs and they feel awesome but the V sole plays with a lot more bounce than any Mizuno product. This can be a deal breaker for some players and ultimately the reason I got rid of mine. If you have the chance to hit a good amount of balls off GRASS that would be a good idea before buying the Zx5.

• Like 1

Driver - Callaway Rogue ST ◆◆◆  / Tour AD HD  

4wood - Cobra RadSpeed / Tour AD IZ

Hybrid - Callaway Apex / Tour AD DI 

Irons - Cobra Forge Tec  /  Dart V 90  

Wedges - Cleveland RTX 6  52 / 58 

Putter - TM Spider X   Ball - Titleist AVX

11 minutes ago, Mr_Wolfe said:

Here are my 245's. I ordered them from Japan.

Mr. Wolfe

IMG_3788.JPG

Oh….my…Gosh!!! In Love Hearts GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

14 minutes ago, HalfSet said:

I would lean towards sticking with Mizuno if that’s what you are coming from.

Srixon makes amazing clubs and they feel awesome but the V sole plays with a lot more bounce than any Mizuno product. This can be a deal breaker for some players and ultimately the reason I got rid of mine. If you have the chance to hit a good amount of balls off GRASS that would be a good idea before buying the Zx5.

Thanks for the advice. This really helps since I only have indoor hitting experience with them.

To my other questions, are these player-distance category irons popular with people that aren't necessarily looking for extra distance? I'm just wondering if I'm seeking "forgiveness" in the wrong places 

Goofy Stance

I think they're in the same category of players distance/game improvement so yeah. T200 or T150 would fit here too.
    Honestly from the info you provided I don't think so. Yes forgiveness is nice but a 45-50 yard apex and 195 yard 7iron feels like overkill. 

I've tried the ZX7's and I think they would be better if you want to go Srixon. Maybe go ZX5 in the 4-5-6 iron but once you get above 7 iron I think the thinner sole will help you with turf interaction. I am also quite steep and I have a hard time with big sole'd irons when I get into the shorter clubs

4. If I don’t utilize different “shot shapes,” what would I even gain from something like a ZX7 other than “feel?”

- I think (and someone could correct me if i'm wrong here) that ZX5's are going to have slightly worse front/back dispersion than ZX7's. Naturally having a hotter iron will slightly increase the chance of catching "hot" balls with the trampoline effect of the iron. Also ZX7 will fly a little bit lower than ZX5 (if you have them at the same lofts) which from the sounds of it you want to keep your ball flight down at the altitude you play at

5 hours ago, Auleran87 said:
    I think they're in the same category of players distance/game improvement so yeah. T200 or T150 would fit here too.
    Honestly from the info you provided I don't think so. Yes forgiveness is nice but a 45-50 yard apex and 195 yard 7iron feels like overkill. 

I've tried the ZX7's and I think they would be better if you want to go Srixon. Maybe go ZX5 in the 4-5-6 iron but once you get above 7 iron I think the thinner sole will help you with turf interaction. I am also quite steep and I have a hard time with big sole'd irons when I get into the shorter clubs

4. If I don’t utilize different “shot shapes,” what would I even gain from something like a ZX7 other than “feel?”

- I think (and someone could correct me if i'm wrong here) that ZX5's are going to have slightly worse front/back dispersion than ZX7's. Naturally having a hotter iron will slightly increase the chance of catching "hot" balls with the trampoline effect of the iron. Also ZX7 will fly a little bit lower than ZX5 (if you have them at the same lofts) which from the sounds of it you want to keep your ball flight down at the altitude you play at

Thanks for the specific responses here. Consider everything noted. This was extremely helpful!!

Goofy Stance

6 hours ago, 379 said:

The Mizuno jpx 932 forged are also in the same loft range. Have you considered them in comparison? 

Truthfully, I just thought the MP225/245 looked cooler and have no idea what player they're targeting with the 923 Forged vs MP 225/245...

I haven't considered the 923 Forged at all. I hit the 245s well, I am just concerned about performance on grass for a steep player as well as the crazy distance/height I was getting.

Goofy Stance

I’m a big Srixon guy and have been for years. Just declaring my bias upfront.

Have been as low as 3, currently 4.6. Shot par a few times and broke it once. I’d say our games are similar, but I just play more often and you hit the ball further…

I’ve played pretty much all the Srixon irons since the Z545. Recently moved to the ZX5 mk II from the original ZX7 (unsuccessful stint with Z-Forged II in between).

Don’t have experience with recent Mizunos, but did play the MP-60 way back when.  Really good club.

So I will answer your questions about the Srixons that are relevant to me and my game.

Personally I don’t think you need to look at the ZX7 unless you are really after that player appearance.  Coming from the MP-60 the ZX7 is the closest match, but I find the extra forgiveness, height and distance of the ZX5 is a better trade off.  The main thing for me is the ability to hit the ball high with the ZX5. Yes you can still control trajectory and work them as required, but they just want to get up in the air and I find that very appealing.  

When you mis-hit one and get away with it you’ll be very thankful.  And there hasn’t been a time for me on the course recently where I wished I had the ZX7 - I feel comfortable hitting any shot with the ZX5.

Also, having played both irons, I don’t think the thicker sole is detrimental at all.  But I understand that other people might think otherwise 

• Like 3

TaylorMade Qi10 Designer Series (Black Out) 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black / Mizuno M.Craft OMOI #1
Bridgestone Tour RX

2 hours ago, anth said:

Have been as low as 3, currently 4.6. Shot par a few times and broke it once. I’d say our games are similar, but I just play more often and you hit the ball further…

I’ve played pretty much all the Srixon irons since the Z545. Recently moved to the ZX5 mk II from the original ZX7 (unsuccessful stint with Z-Forged II in between).

Don’t have experience with recent Mizunos, but did play the MP-60 way back when.  Really good club.

So I will answer your questions about the Srixons that are relevant to me and my game.

Personally I don’t think you need to look at the ZX7 unless you are really after that player appearance.  Coming from the MP-60 the ZX7 is the closest match, but I find the extra forgiveness, height and distance of the ZX5 is a better trade off.  The main thing for me is the ability to hit the ball high with the ZX5. Yes you can still control trajectory and work them as required, but they just want to get up in the air and I find that very appealing.  

When you mis-hit one and get away with it you’ll be very thankful.  And there hasn’t been a time for me on the course recently where I wished I had the ZX7 - I feel comfortable hitting any shot with the ZX5.

Also, having played both irons, I don’t think the thicker sole is detrimental at all.  But I understand that other people might think otherwise 

Great feedback here Anth!

I previously gamed the ZX7 and Z785 as well, and came from P770’s last season, and I’m not as good as you guys (yet).

I’ve only been playing since June 2020, so I decided I need to be kinder to myself and play irons with as much “distance and forgiveness as I can look at”…(heard that quote from Rick Shiels I believe).

I had the same concerns about the wide V-Sole in the Mid and Short Irons in the ZX5, but what alleviated that for me was hitting balls off the harder turf in the simulator I tested them on to simulate tight lies and hard pan fairways, and the OG ZX5 and MKII performed beautifully.

I won’t be able to play them on grass until the Spring here though in Canada, so I can’t vouch for them in live conditions on the course until then unfortunately.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

On 12/31/2023 at 6:11 PM, putt_for_dough said:

First and foremost, would you guys even cross-shop these irons? I posted a while back because I can get a great deal on Mizuno irons, but it looks like I can get an almost equivalent discount on Srixon...I'm a relatively steep swinging lefty currently playing old MP60s. 

I’m between the Mizuno Pro 245 and Srixon ZX5. I got lucky and had a chance to hit both of these off a mat with a ProV1 and GC Quad (without club data). My ball speed was generally 127-130mph with the 7 irons (they both have slightly different lofts there), 40-45yds peak height, 50 degree descent angle, 5700-6000rpm (spun up a bit with a slice, dropped with a draw), roughly 190-195 carry. There wasn’t a huge difference in numbers between the two irons for me. 

I play off a 12 handicap (mainly losing balls OB with the driver) and wouldn’t consider myself an elite ball striker. I was previously a 4 handicap but hadn’t played more than 5 times total in the past 4 years until recently. Just getting back into the game. I’ve broken par multiple times and will go low a couple times a year—when the driver is on, my game is great. Otherwise, for now, I seem to settle in the low to mid-eighties most of the time but will probably shoot 90 on a new course on a bad day with harder driving conditions. I hit a lot of wedges because I play at altitude; even a 7000-yard course gets short.

I am not looking for extra distance at all but mainly chose these irons because they look sweet, tend to have decent “forgiveness,” get good reviews (or at least the previous gen MP 225 did), and I’m scared of true cavity backs/blades because I feel like my MP60s don’t help me as much as they could when I’m feeling off. I’d probably bend my potential new irons a degree or two weaker so that there’s better gapping into my wedges

I’ve played MP-60s that were hand-me-downs for the past 15+ years. My current irons are fine, but I’ve got some extra funds, I’m excited to be playing a lot of golf again, and I want to try something new and shiny haha. I am really interested in Srixon/Mizuno, but I guess I’d consider another club from someone else if it was a clear winner (but it seems like generally all brands make great clubs in pretty much every segment nowadays).

Lastly, if I don’t need the distance, should I consider other irons besides the MP 245 or ZX5? What about the ZX7? I’ve read a bunch of threads/watched reviews, but it’s hard to tell if there’s truly an increase in “forgiveness” between the ZX5 and ZX7. The "forgiveness" I’m looking for is tight front-to-back dispersion on a thin or toe miss. I just want the most forgiving irons out there to help me shoot the lowest score (that still look good.. curse vanity haha). I should note that I’m pretty steep, but I don’t have the chance to hit irons off of real grass before buying. I’ve heard good things about Srixon soles with steep swings.

The only brand I will not buy is Taylormade…all my friends play 'em, and I just don’t want to hop on that bandwagon right now.

TLDR

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP!!!! ...and I'm sorry for the novel haha

*I'd probably try to at least swing the ZX7s before buying if that's a club I should consider, but I feel like you can only learn so much from a 7 iron off a mat with a launch monitor...

Or you can just buy my extra set of 223's 😅

11 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Great feedback here Anth!

I previously gamed the ZX7 and Z785 as well, and came from P770’s last season, and I’m not as good as you guys (yet).

I’ve only been playing since June 2020, so I decided I need to be kinder to myself and play irons with as much “distance and forgiveness as I can look at”…(heard that quote from Rick Shiels I believe).

I had the same concerns about the wide V-Sole in the Mid and Short Irons in the ZX5, but what alleviated that for me was hitting balls off the harder turf in the simulator I tested them on to simulate tight lies and hard pan fairways, and the OG ZX5 and MKII performed beautifully.

I won’t be able to play them on grass until the Spring here though in Canada, so I can’t vouch for them in live conditions on the course until then unfortunately.

I like the idea of hitting off the "hard" part of the mat. I always swing off the longer grass on a mat if they have it just so it's not as rough on my body and so that I can "get into the ground" a little like I would on the course, but I can see why it's important to also hit off the harder turf. Thanks man.

• Like 1

Goofy Stance

13 hours ago, anth said:

What an awesome write-up. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts/experiences and answer many of my questions. It's also nice to hear from a fellow MP-60 user!:) 

It's going to be a tough decision for me since I almost hit these too high...apex was 45-50yds on both the ZX5s and the MP245s...a good 20-30+ feet higher than my MP60s, but it's also hard for me to judge height off a simulator compared to when I'm outside and don't have all the numbers right in front of me each swing. I feel like it's a lot easier for me to hit the ball high (just swing hard and finish the follow-through), but I struggle to control it well when I hold off a finish to bring it in low...lots to think about. Thanks again for your response.

• Thanks 1

Goofy Stance

1 hour ago, putt_for_dough said:

I like the idea of hitting off the "hard" part of the mat. I always swing off the longer grass on a mat if they have it just so it's not as rough on my body and so that I can "get into the ground" a little like I would on the course, but I can see why it's important to also hit off the harder turf. Thanks man.

You’re welcome!

Yeah, I would’ve never thought of it, but one of the fitters at my local shop recommended it.

Great idea for sure to replicate as many different lies as we see on live courses as possible.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I am in a similar boat as @anth in being biased towards Srixon. Just to increase the sample size, I will add my takeaways from gaming the ZX5 OG's since they came out (they're firmly staying put in my bag).

In terms of comparison with the MP 225/245, I am no help there as I haven't hit either. If they are in the player's distance category then I'd argue they're generally comparable with ZX5. Honestly, I haven't really stayed up to date on new irons because I have enjoyed my Srixons so much.

My game sounds very similar to yours in the sense that I am a mid-handicapper that struggles with driver at times. The penalty strokes off the box drive me crazy but thats a story for a different day. I too am in the category of not needing help with speed/distance/height and play in Colorado during the summer which only exaggerates that fact due to the altitude. With that said, I have played with my irons long enough now to dial down the distances and I am never thinking, "I wish I hit my 7 iron shorter". So I definitely think that you can consider the ZX5's even though you don't necessarily need a boost in distance. If you were to go the ZX5 route, it may just take a bit of time to really dial in your distances (I would guess this applies to buying any new set of irons). 

In terms of the ZX7, I tried them before purchasing my ZX5's and I have buddies who game the ZX7's. They are also very satisfied but I went the ZX5 route because I basically try to hit 99% of my iron shots straight. I'm sure you and I would both be happy with ZX7 but I went ZX5 just for the little additional bit of forgiveness and I really don't mind the ZX5 profile at address. If you think the ZX5 appearance is a bit chunky and that really bothers you, then maybe that could justify the ZX7. If you aren't looking for that players' profile and shot-shaping then I would push towards the ZX5 but thats just my opinion. 

In terms of the V-sole, it seems that in some of the various forums, I have noticed it can be a love-hate at times. You could maybe buy a ZX5 7 iron online and go hit some balls off grass before pulling the trigger? As a side note, the ZX5 3 iron is an absolute weapon and I played some of my best golf in 2023 by simply hitting 3i off the box and leaving driver in the bag. Hopefully this helps, if you have any questions I am happy to provide additional input/opinions on the Srixons.

• Like 1

Driver: Srixon ZX5 LS 8.5 - Hzrdus Black Gen 4

3 Wood: Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White 75

Irons: Srixon ZX5 (3-P) - Modus 115

Wedges: Cleveland CBX Zipcore - Modus Wedge

Putter: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Rossie DB

Valid points in here about what shot you are trying to hit the most with your irons. In my mind I see towering shots with a touch of draw - that is nice and high, straight and just falling to the left. Minimal movement in the air.

ZX5 helps me achieve this. Again I can go lower and more movement in the air if required, but only if I need to.

If the shot your mind sees is lower and/or with pronounced curve then the ZX7 may be the better option. Also, the ZX7 are very forgiving for the type of club they are (just not as forgiving as the ZX5)

• Like 1

TaylorMade Qi10 Designer Series (Black Out) 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black / Mizuno M.Craft OMOI #1
Bridgestone Tour RX

I went from the Z785's to the ZX5'S.

Thinking I was getting more  of a  forgiving set of irons. The overall size of the club caused issues for me, so traded them for the ZX7'S. Just an excellent set of irons, and the size works well for my game.  All of my Mizuno irons were player style and blades, sole size and playability  were great also.  Good luck with your choice, 

Both companies offer a club for every player.

• Like 1

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

19 hours ago, Brentwood said:

I am in a similar boat as @anth in being biased towards Srixon. Just to increase the sample size, I will add my takeaways from gaming the ZX5 OG's since they came out (they're firmly staying put in my bag).

In terms of comparison with the MP 225/245, I am no help there as I haven't hit either. If they are in the player's distance category then I'd argue they're generally comparable with ZX5. Honestly, I haven't really stayed up to date on new irons because I have enjoyed my Srixons so much.

My game sounds very similar to yours in the sense that I am a mid-handicapper that struggles with driver at times. The penalty strokes off the box drive me crazy but thats a story for a different day. I too am in the category of not needing help with speed/distance/height and play in Colorado during the summer which only exaggerates that fact due to the altitude. With that said, I have played with my irons long enough now to dial down the distances and I am never thinking, "I wish I hit my 7 iron shorter". So I definitely think that you can consider the ZX5's even though you don't necessarily need a boost in distance. If you were to go the ZX5 route, it may just take a bit of time to really dial in your distances (I would guess this applies to buying any new set of irons). 

In terms of the ZX7, I tried them before purchasing my ZX5's and I have buddies who game the ZX7's. They are also very satisfied but I went the ZX5 route because I basically try to hit 99% of my iron shots straight. I'm sure you and I would both be happy with ZX7 but I went ZX5 just for the little additional bit of forgiveness and I really don't mind the ZX5 profile at address. If you think the ZX5 appearance is a bit chunky and that really bothers you, then maybe that could justify the ZX7. If you aren't looking for that players' profile and shot-shaping then I would push towards the ZX5 but thats just my opinion. 

In terms of the V-sole, it seems that in some of the various forums, I have noticed it can be a love-hate at times. You could maybe buy a ZX5 7 iron online and go hit some balls off grass before pulling the trigger? As a side note, the ZX5 3 iron is an absolute weapon and I played some of my best golf in 2023 by simply hitting 3i off the box and leaving driver in the bag. Hopefully this helps, if you have any questions I am happy to provide additional input/opinions on the Srixons.

Thanks for taking the time to write all of this out!! EXTREMELY helpful. Thank you!!!

• Like 1

Goofy Stance

16 hours ago, puttingmatt said:

I went from the Z785's to the ZX5'S.

Thinking I was getting more  of a  forgiving set of irons. The overall size of the club caused issues for me, so traded them for the ZX7'S. Just an excellent set of irons, and the size works well for my game.  All of my Mizuno irons were player style and blades, sole size and playability  were great also.  Good luck with your choice, 

Both companies offer a club for every player.

I think I'm just gonna buy the ZX5s, and if for some reason I'm not loving them, I can add a few ZX7s in the scoring irons or just trade/sell the whole set and order again. I'm getting them at 35% off, so the losses should be minimized if I need to sell later. I was initially hesitant to go with ZX5s since that means I'll probably have to add another wedge in the 48-degree range for gapping, but if I go with ZX7s, then I think I'll be too tempted to always think "what if" when I miss a shot short in the water on a mishit haha (I know deep down it's my fault, but it's no fun to blame myself).

Any of these options should be an awesome upgrade to my MP60s. Ya'll are amazing. Thank you for your help, and Happy New Year!!

• Like 1

Goofy Stance