2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Appalachian golf trip

I made a topic on this a long time ago and cant seem to be able to dig it up so sorry for the repost. I was looking for suggestions of areas to go a little bit closer to home (Ohio) that have some great golf. The group of friends I usually go with are becoming more obsessed with massive trips to the Carolinas, Arizona, ect. and going to expensive resorts, but those are getting to be a bit much for my schedule and far too pricey. I wanted to be able to suggest a better alternative long weekend trip that didn't require tons of travel and was easier to get done.

Some areas near us given the geography that would be fun to play would be Pennsylvania/Virginia/West Virginia/Upstate New York (thinking Holiday Valley/Niagara Falls/Finger lakes areas). I assume with all of the hills/mountains/lakes in these spots, there would have some pictures esq courses. Wouldn't even be opposed to Tennessee in the mountains down there if there is something.  Does anybody know of specific courses or location in those spots where we could possibly get a AirBnB that has 3-4 nice courses to play in a drivable distance each day? Even a resort if it's not too bad on the price. I know Oglebay and Nemacolin exist but outside of those two I'm going into this planning completely blind.

One note: We've already hammered Michigan and upstate Michigan a bunch which is awesome with the great lakes and everything, but I was looking for a chance a pace from away from Michigan constantly which is why I omitted them.

Edited by akronswitness

Rochester NY is a pretty good area for golf.  I love Ravenwood, personally.  There is Greystone that I'm not a fan of, but others have different opinions, so play it and form your own opinion is what I always say.  Mill Creek is a decent course, I do have to say my opinion is sadly clouded by the fact there was a deluge the night before, and they sent us out, but maybe shouldn't have.  But I think for a trip it's a good part of the puzzle. 

And if you have any kind of connection for a private club, it will send the itinerary over the top.  Everyone knows about Oak Hill, but there is Monroe CC, Locust Hill(used to host LPGA) Country CLub of Rochester, Irondequoit CC, and probably a few others I'm forgetting.  I believe @Roody lives/lived in the Rochester area and can give better information if Rochester is a direction you may consider.

Depending what area of Ohio you are coming from, there could be several options along the way as well. 

• Like 1

South central PA and the surrounding area has some great public options that won’t break the bank. Dauphin Highlands, Iron Valley, Links at Gettysburg, Greystone (northern Md) are all really cool layouts that have plenty of topography and variety of holes. Using suburban Harrisburg as a base you are less than an hour from all 4, and would be basically on top of DH. 

Frederick, Md and the surrounding area have some great courses at a little higher price point that i’m sure some of the Md guys could expand upon.

Stonewall Jackson in WV is really good, an Arnold Palmer design. And conditions have been dicey but Lakeview in Morgantown is an awesome layout with some killer views and crazy elevation changes.

Good luck and have fun on your trip!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, golfortennis said:

Rochester NY is a pretty good area for golf.  I love Ravenwood, personally.  There is Greystone that I'm not a fan of, but others have different opinions, so play it and form your own opinion is what I always say.  Mill Creek is a decent course, I do have to say my opinion is sadly clouded by the fact there was a deluge the night before, and they sent us out, but maybe shouldn't have.  But I think for a trip it's a good part of the puzzle. 

And if you have any kind of connection for a private club, it will send the itinerary over the top.  Everyone knows about Oak Hill, but there is Monroe CC, Locust Hill(used to host LPGA) Country CLub of Rochester, Irondequoit CC, and probably a few others I'm forgetting.  I believe @Roody lives/lived in the Rochester area and can give better information if Rochester is a direction you may consider.

Depending what area of Ohio you are coming from, there could be several options along the way as well. 

Sounds like some good ideas thanks! Is there a 'home base' location that you suggest looking for a Air BnB in if you were attending these courses, like a certain suburb of Rochester or are they all pretty close to the city? We are coming from Columbus, OH so basically we have to cut through eastern PA to get up to NY. I've been up that way a bunch, mainly for snowboarding at Holiday Valley and the 1000 islands in Clayton and I always thought northern NY had to have some awesome golf just given the lay of the land up there. Such a beautiful area.

1 hour ago, DoughBack18 said:

South central PA and the surrounding area has some great public options that won’t break the bank. Dauphin Highlands, Iron Valley, Links at Gettysburg, Greystone (northern Md) are all really cool layouts that have plenty of topography and variety of holes. Using suburban Harrisburg as a base you are less than an hour from all 4, and would be basically on top of DH. 

Frederick, Md and the surrounding area have some great courses at a little higher price point that i’m sure some of the Md guys could expand upon.

Stonewall Jackson in WV is really good, an Arnold Palmer design. And conditions have been dicey but Lakeview in Morgantown is an awesome layout with some killer views and crazy elevation changes.

Good luck and have fun on your trip!

This sounds like another cool area thank you for the suggestion. The old Civil War golf tour 2024😂 Ill definitely check some of these places out online. It sounds crazy but being from central/northern Ohio, we value topography when traveling for golf considering 90% of the courses we play in half of this state are flat and Cincy down south doesnt have good golf unfortunatly that I know of haha So we all get excited when we go to upstate Michigan in the forests/hills. Good to know some of the places you mentioned have some of that.

Edited by akronswitness

1 hour ago, akronswitness said:

Sounds like some good ideas thanks! Is there a 'home base' location that you suggest looking for a Air BnB in if you were attending these courses, like a certain suburb of Rochester or are they all pretty close to the city? We are coming from Columbus, OH so basically we have to cut through eastern PA to get up to NY. I've been up that way a bunch, mainly for snowboarding at Holiday Valley and the 1000 islands in Clayton and I always thought northern NY had to have some awesome golf just given the lay of the land up there. Such a beautiful area.

I think most of the better golf in Rochester is more east than west, so off the eastern side of 490 is probably good.  We always enjoyed the Hilton garden inn in Pittsford , but that was my wife and I and we're not caught up in nightlife or anything like that.  so quiet is a good thing for us.  BUt depending on your route, there are a few good courses in Pittsburgh, Whispering Woods I believe it is in Erie.  BUffalo has a few options are well if you guys are looking to break up the trip.

• Like 1

I live in Rochester, and we do have a lot of really good golf courses. I have a slightly different view than @golfortennis on Ravenwood vs Greystone though. Both are nice, but Greystone is my favorite public course in this area. Obviously if you’re coming in from out of town, play both. But if you only have time for one, my vote is Greystone. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

Like others have said, Ravenwood is great and a post-round meal and beer at the New York Brewing Project in Victor is awesome too.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max 9* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec 7X
Big Bertha 3WD 15* / Anser Hybrid 20*
SLDR 4-PW KBS Tour C-Taper 90 Stiff
Cleveland RTX ZIPCORE 50*, 54*, 58*
Bettinardi INOVAI 6.0 35"
Titleist Pro V1X Left Dash