2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Gaming Classic Clubs - Questions

I'm planning to play with a set of classic clubs I've scrounged up, and it's always fun to know more about the clubs you're playing with so I thought I'd ask here.

I'm playing an 8802 putter of unknown year, though I don't think it's the oldest model based on the steps of the shaft, and Wilson Staff Tour Blades, 1-SW. Very fun clubs, lots of feel!

I'm mostly wondering about the woods. I've got a Nicklaus Muirfield MacGregor 1 wood, and a Nicklaus MacGregor VIP 4 wood. From what I can gather it sounds like they're solid clubs from the 80's?

I also have a Wilson Resolon 4300, which I assume is a laminate because none of the wood is visible. I also have a Wilson Roughneck, which looks to have about 24* of loft and has a ladies flex shaft. I can't find much info on these at all - any ideas about them would be appreciated!

I'll have to hit them all and see what feels best, but the MacGregor persimmons look great and seem like they may be the best. On the other hand, there's a certain appeal to playing all Wilsons. Part of me wishes I'd gone for Wilson Staff Tour Block woods to round out the set. I bought the MacGregor driver to pair with the 4 wood after finding it at Goodwill.

Any words of wisdom on any of these clubs would be awesome - they're as much fun to think about as they are to play.

IMG_5943.jpg

IMG_5944.jpg

• Like 3

Pretty solid choices, big thumbs up to the 1 iron (snake killer)

Be warned with that putter, very easily could end up singing “Fooled around and fell in love” just like Elvin Bishop. 

Also don’t overlook Wilson laminates either if you ever come across them. I have some Staff II’s that are actually pretty great clubs. 

Edited by ezgoer

The Muirfield would be mid-80s, based on the timeline of the Muirfield iron set (1983-86).  The VIP could be 80s, but I wonder if it's actually early 90s, as part of the reissued VIP set from 91-93.  Speculation, of course.

Agree that Wilson laminates would be worth a look.  That said, there's no rule that says you can't use quality woods of a different brand than the quality irons.  A lot of pros used drivers that didn't necessarily line up with their irons, in brand terms.

Obvious example, Tom Watson and his Toney Penna driver, used with his Ram Tour Grind irons...

• Like 4

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

53 minutes ago, B-Con-47 said:

I didn't know such a thing existed! The hosel doesn't have whipping, it's just a continuation of the head, so that makes sense.

oh, yeah...several companies played w/composit heads (I have one, a spoon, which dates it - waay back). Can't remember the company, but John Daly used one, a supposed kevlar head that was a polymer-composit. @Jiggered in his YouTube site played similar wood during the wet seasons...

16 minutes ago, bcstones said:

oh, yeah...several companies played w/composit heads (I have one, a spoon, which dates it - waay back). Can't remember the company, but John Daly used one, a supposed kevlar head that was a polymer-composit. @Jiggered in his YouTube site played similar wood during the wet seasons...

I believe it was the Cobra Ultramid.

• Thanks 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

59 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

The Muirfield would be mid-80s, based on the timeline of the Muirfield iron set (1983-86).  The VIP could be 80s, but I wonder if it's actually early 90s, as part of the reissued VIP set from 91-93.  Speculation, of course.

Looking more closely the 4 wood looks like it might be a laminate, otherwise it's just a really evenly ringed piece of wood, haha!

The composite stuff is fun to know about!

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, B-Con-47 said:

The composite stuff is fun to know about!

It looks to have been a trend in the 80s, maybe early 90s.  I had a 1/3/5 in Ram graphite headed woods, back in the day.  They were OK, such as I found, but didn't play them much.

I used to have those white Kevlar Cobra’s. I loved em cuz they were so unique. Back when Daly used them it was supposedly the only face he wouldn’t concave. There’s a semi recent YouTube video of pretty big hitter struggling to get 300 yards out of it. Very poor MOI I guess.
IMG_1229.jpeg.9819f0ea3d9a73e94a08d241b71e1362.jpeg

I’ve always been obsessed with finding one of these titanium red shafted ones! Hopefully someday.

Edited by ezgoer
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, st1800e said:

Not an expert, but that looks like “composite” i.e. plastic.  Name sounds like it too.  

I was going to say that it was not their top line offering.  I have an "original" 8802 that I bought around 1982.  I think the one you have is older than that or a reissue of the older one.  I didn't care for it then and I never use it.  LOL.  It only saw the light of day when my Anser needed a time-out for misbehaving.  

46 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I believe it was the Cobra Ultramid.

That's it!!! I do have one....not the titanium red shaft tho. And another one, different company....both in storage.

If I remember correctly, Daly only used it one year....the rumour was it was too fragile for heavy hitters - as with all rumours, taken w/a grain or ten of salt 🤣

7 minutes ago, bcstones said:

That's it!!! I do have one....not the titanium red shaft tho. And another one, different company....both in storage.

If I remember correctly, Daly only used it one year....the rumour was it was too fragile for heavy hitters - as with all rumours, taken w/a grain or ten of salt 🤣

If you ever want to part with one let me know. This walk down memory lane has me wanting another set of them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ezgoer said:

I used to have those white Kevlar Cobra’s. I loved em cuz they were so unique. Back when Daly used them it was supposedly the only face he wouldn’t concave. There’s a semi recent YouTube video of pretty big hitter struggling to get 300 yards out of it. Very poor MOI I guess.
IMG_1229.jpeg.9819f0ea3d9a73e94a08d241b71e1362.jpeg

I’ve always been obsessed with finding one of these titanium red shafted ones! Hopefully someday.

Off topic I know, but Man those leather soles Reebok pump golf shoes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 3/16/2024 at 12:27 PM, ezgoer said:

If you ever want to part with one let me know. This walk down memory lane has me wanting another set of them. 

was just in my storage....no Cobra Ultramid. I kinda sorta remember selling it a decade or so back. 

However, there was a Kevlar Turbo Power BB-full body 1 wood w/an AldilaHM-35 firm shaft & a Golf Pride Dimple grip in good condition. 

Kevlar1#1.jpg

Kevlar1#2.jpg

Kevlar1#3.jpg

Kevlar1#4.jpg

Kevlar#5.jpg

Edited by bcstones