Srixon ZX7 ii vs latest P790. What to go with?

333pg333

Just asking for a bit of feedback / advice. I know these are generally not direct competitors but they are what I've come down to after going for a 2 hour fitting here in Sydney, Australia. I'm coming out of the Gen 1 P790s so I'm aware of their characteristics. I didn't really sense a ton of difference between my 790s and the 2nd last version which I tested as they didn't have the very latest on hand. He said that there wasn't a lot of difference between the last 2 versions anyway.

From my impressions I would say that the Srixons do feel softer off the face but I'm giving up about 10 yards to the 790s. Sure, it's just a number on the bottom of the club but it's still nice to take a lesser iron than I'd have to with the shorter hitting club. Plus it's always good to be 2 clubs longer than your playing competitors. I'm about to turn 64, so no spring chicken. Play off a genuine h/cap of between 4-6. Carry my current 7 iron between 170-180 yards. Driver s/s around 105mph. Oh, they specc'd me with an Accra i Series V2 80i shaft. He also suggested that he would add a degree of loft to the new 790s or take one off the ZX7s so they were similarly lofted. During the fitting the average launch was around the 17-17.5 mark. Landing is around 43-45 which isn't ideal but I play with this just fine. 

Any impressions or advice appreciated. 

2 hours ago, 333pg333 said:

Just asking for a bit of feedback / advice. I know these are generally not direct competitors but they are what I've come down to after going for a 2 hour fitting here in Sydney, Australia. I'm coming out of the Gen 1 P790s so I'm aware of their characteristics. I didn't really sense a ton of difference between my 790s and the 2nd last version which I tested as they didn't have the very latest on hand. He said that there wasn't a lot of difference between the last 2 versions anyway.

From my impressions I would say that the Srixons do feel softer off the face but I'm giving up about 10 yards to the 790s. Sure, it's just a number on the bottom of the club but it's still nice to take a lesser iron than I'd have to with the shorter hitting club. Plus it's always good to be 2 clubs longer than your playing competitors. I'm about to turn 64, so no spring chicken. Play off a genuine h/cap of between 4-6. Carry my current 7 iron between 170-180 yards. Driver s/s around 105mph. Oh, they specc'd me with an Accra i Series V2 80i shaft. He also suggested that he would add a degree of loft to the new 790s or take one off the ZX7s so they were similarly lofted. During the fitting the average launch was around the 17-17.5 mark. Landing is around 43-45 which isn't ideal but I play with this just fine. 

If it were me it would the Srixon's, but at 64? P790s and their ilk are made for you Gen X'ers. 😅

As you've observed there hasn't been a huge change from one P790 to another, although the cosmetics and aesthetics at address are noticeably different. Any reason you need to move on from the first generation? 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

The TM 790 are a club longer to my personal experience. Ballflight was the same with the same shaft, no difference there. But spin is higher with the Srixon (to my swing). Easy decision, do you want the length go with the TM 790s, do you want the feel and the better stopping on the green, go with the Srixon 

I would compare the ZX7 more to the TM 770s… in terms of head size… and they could be in the middle of the 790s and the ZX7 

Edited by Streuner
  • Like 1

Valtiel, jeez...whacking me over the head with an ageist remark so early in my WRX career. Ooof...tough crowd! lols...But yeah, you're right. They are designed to help a fella get the ball flying a little further. Having said that, I recorded my best drive late last year. 332mtrs from a somewhat elevated tee at sea level. That's nudging 370 yards...so not too bad for an old bloke. 

I do like the Srixons for those reasons. Plus they'll be more workable with more spin so that's a good thing. Sidebar...it always annoys me when you watch a club review on YT and they mention playability yet never actually demonstrate it. When was the last time you saw a reviewer playing fades and draws to demonstrate a club?? Yeah, me neither.

Back to the program. I should add to the story and say that I did get fitted for a set of Fourteen irons and while they were very nice, they almost felt too soft if that's even a thing. It was like you couldn't tell quite where on the clubface you struck the ball. With the 790's even though they're sort of a game improvement iron, you can tell pretty easily when you heel it etc. 

Thanks for the chat. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

OP did you not try the ZX5? I have swung them from some other fellow Gen-Xers bags and they do get you some of that feel with the lower spin characteristics of the 790.

I blend 790/770s myself but TBH could game all of these just the same, just like the added confidence in the longer irons of something with a bit more beef personally.  I have 2021 790s, which are less clickly then the Gen 1/2 from my feel-o-meter. 

I am curious (and cautious) about those shafts...80g is light for someone that still has some pop in their swing. Guessing 7i is mid 80s with that carry distance, I am about there to a few MPH faster but in the same ball park. 

You may time it OK in a fitting but from my experience dropping weight had a big effect on real life dispersion for me.  Did you try the accra in a 95/100g (I have 105's myself, 95s with 10g of lead tape on them to get me more weight 😄 )

good luck!

1 hour ago, bvanlieu said:

OP did you not try the ZX5? I have swung them from some other fellow Gen-Xers bags and they do get you some of that feel with the lower spin characteristics of the 790.

I blend 790/770s myself but TBH could game all of these just the same, just like the added confidence in the longer irons of something with a bit more beef personally.  I have 2021 790s, which are less clickly then the Gen 1/2 from my feel-o-meter. 

I am curious (and cautious) about those shafts...80g is light for someone that still has some pop in their swing. Guessing 7i is mid 80s with that carry distance, I am about there to a few MPH faster but in the same ball park. 

You may time it OK in a fitting but from my experience dropping weight had a big effect on real life dispersion for me.  Did you try the accra in a 95/100g (I have 105's myself, 95s with 10g of lead tape on them to get me more weight 😄 )

good luck!

I didn't try the ZX5s. He did suggest going with the 3 & 4 ZX utility irons. I might have a look at the 7/5 combo though. It did occur to me also based on some other reviews. 

My current shafts are 80gs regular so I think that's why he went with similar weight. We did try a few different options. Even a steel NX Pro 105 which worked ok but wasn't any better. Being of this age I also have a few aches and pains so graphite is better for me nowadays.

Swing speed with 7 iron hovers around 83-86mph. Sometimes a little higher. If I put a slight pull on the 7 for example it can go out to 180mtrs. I wonder if that isn't the flexi shaft also contributing to the pull shot / spin pattern.

ps...I did buy an Autoflex driver shaft and still own it. Got that up to 113mph but spin can become an issue with that shaft I find. 

3 hours ago, Streuner said:

The TM 790 are a club longer to my personal experience. Ballflight was the same with the same shaft, no difference there. But spin is higher with the Srixon (to my swing). Easy decision, do you want the length go with the TM 790s, do you want the feel and the better stopping on the green, go with the Srixon 

I would compare the ZX7 more to the TM 770s… in terms of head size… and they could be in the middle of the 790s and the ZX7 

Streuner, yes that is correct in regards to distance and spin. In reality it's a silly comparison for me to make but it's where I landed during the fitting. I did hit the 770 but it didn't surpass either for me. Another problem I find is when you go to these fittings you have to be confident in your swing and make good contact. Otherwise it's a bit, dare I say, hit and miss. I am coached and making changes so perhaps not the best time for a change but retail therapy is what it is. Thanks for your input. 

P790 and ZX7 are not comparable at all.  One is a made in China, large cast club head that is hollow and foam filled, while the other is traditional players cavity back that is forged in Japan.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 - Hzrdus T1100 Hulk

Sub 70 949 Pro Hybrid 19 and 22* - Recoil Dart 95x

Srixon ZX7 - MMT's 105TX SSx1

Sub 70 JB Forged 48*, 52*, 56*, 60*- MMT Scoring

PXG Gen2 Mini Gunboat

1 hour ago, 333pg333 said:

Streuner, yes that is correct in regards to distance and spin. In reality it's a silly comparison for me to make but it's where I landed during the fitting. I did hit the 770 but it didn't surpass either for me. Another problem I find is when you go to these fittings you have to be confident in your swing and make good contact. Otherwise it's a bit, dare I say, hit and miss. I am coached and making changes so perhaps not the best time for a change but retail therapy is what it is. Thanks for your input. 

I lived in Sydney for 5 years. Miss it very much. As a professional kitesurfer I’m very aware of the wind and I feel like both of these clubs are good options given what you deal with along the coast there. My initial reaction is I love Srixons but you have a lot of familiarity with 790s and from what I read in your first post, I think that extra distance will give you confidence. Further to that, I’d wonder how different the spin and descent angle were given the distance disparity? Important to remember that the extra distance can be great into wind etc but you also need to stop the ball downwind and the firm greens and blowy conditions require a lot of control over the golf ball. Dont hate the idea of a split set of Srixons to get the extra juice in the long irons with control in the bottom of the bag. 

• Like 3

I'm going against the grain from what everyone else is recommending. I'm a 5 handicap and just moved into the 2023 P790 with MMT 125s Graphite. This combo has been killer for me. My distance and lateral dispersion is better than any set I've had in the past. I have historically played Mizuno or Titleist irons and just came from the 921 Tours. I am about 2 clubs longer with the P790 and the best thing is I have good carry distance on my mishits, which is exactly what I was looking for. In my fitting I tried T150, T200, Mizuno, ZX5 & ZX7, P770 and Cobra Forged Tec. The P790 won out for my swing and it has really translated to the course. My fitter said this is the best set of P790s he's seen to date with the way they moved the weight around unique to each club. I haven't hit any of the previous models, but I really like this set and don't miss the feel of the Mizuno irons I previously played. Feel is subjective to each person, but it's not a noticeable for me at this point. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Valtiel said:

If it were me it would the Srixon's, but at 64? P790s and their ilk are made for you Gen X'ers. 😅

Ahem... Us GenXers are not quite in our 60s yet... but OP is Australian, so the committee has decided to let it slide.

As a fellow "pretty close to old" guy, I'd happily play the Srixons while the skills and back allow it and let the 790s wait until I lack the speed to elevate the golf ball. ZX7/5 combo set is in my near future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Having tried Srixon irons in the past - I just didn't get along with them on the course.  That VT sole simply doesn't work for me.  If possible, I'd do some testing off grass before purchase.

• Like 1

ATTENTION:  Views expressed are my opinions based on my experiences playing golf.  I reserve the right to change my opinions - without notice. 

Titleist u505 2 iron / Srixon ZX4 4 iron /   / Titleist Wedges-S Grind / SeeMore M7x 

Rare to see someone choosing between these two very different clubs.

Srixon is the single longest tour-class players iron out there with a 32° 7 iron.  I wouldn't worry about giving up 10 yards vs the 790.  

Can you stomach the look of the giant 790 paddle/blade length?  They are very different looking irons.  Again, this is the first time I've seen someone choosing between these two.

(I just read your post again with your age concerns, etc.  Def consider the ZX5 combo'd with the ZX7 down low!  Much more pride carrying these vs P790.)

Edited by underwater
  • Like 3

Besides the different soles with these two sets (make sure to test those Srixons on actual grass), I would have concerns about the set makeup at the top and bottom of the bag. Since you're used to the 790s, you likely have your wedge setup for that gapping, then your hybrid/fairway wood to match your longest iron gapping. What happens when you lose 10 yards off your longest iron? Do you now have too large of a gap between that and your next club? Do your wedge distances now make sense with the Srixons, or do you need to adjust that makeup?

I know for me, when I go between different sets of irons that I own, I have to alter what I play at the top of the bag, as well as my wedge setup to make sure I have a club for every yardage. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 10.5° Ventus Velocore+ Blue 6X

Titleist TSR1 15° Atmos TS 8S

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke ♦♦♦ 20° Ventus TR Red 7X

Callaway Mavrik Max 24° Project X Catalyst 75S

Titleist T150 6-GW Modus 120S

Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F, 58.14K (at 56°), 60.04T DG Wedge Flex

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 1.5 Prototype

11 hours ago, 333pg333 said:

I didn't really sense a ton of difference between my 790s and the 2nd last version which I tested as they didn't have the very latest on hand. He said that there wasn't a lot of difference between the last 2 versions anyway.

A few things perhaps… There have been four generations of P790. The first two were similar in intent and execution (distance at all cost). The third and fourth are significantly different, their main advantages being distance control. Yours are effectively wild adolescents, the new ones are a much more mature and sophisticated species.

As far as ZX5/7/Utility, in the previous (MK1) versions, there was good reason to mix. In the second generation, that’s been pretty effectively eliminated. I’m about your age and swing speed. Per my demo and the recommendation of Srixon, the best approach is all ZX5 with carbon shafts in the 4 and 5. 

IMO - in the current generation, the ZX7 provides little advantage to anyone vs. the ZX5. Maintaining the ZX5 model across the set reduces club-to-club variability and cost. The ZX5’s will also produce close to P790 distance with enhanced feel and workability. The P790 is very much a “straight” club in comparison.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

18 hours ago, 333pg333 said:

Just a question, have you tried the ZX5 irons? Distance wise they would be very close loft wise with your current irons. While they may not feel quite as soft, they would be softer than the p790. However, they are really forgiving but have plenty of pop.

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

56 minutes ago, Clemson Tigers said:

Go hit them and see for yourself.  P790’s are garbage.  Always have been.  Sorry you’re offended.  

Lol not offended at all. Just figured with so much conviction you would have some data to support. I have hit them all and have no brand loyalty.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, raw10628 said:

Lol not offended at all. Just figured with so much conviction you would have some data to support. I have hit them all and have no brand loyalty.

I mean they are just one of the best selling irons ever, obviously garbage…. Lol

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

18 hours ago, 333pg333 said:

Valtiel, jeez...whacking me over the head with an ageist remark so early in my WRX career. Ooof...tough crowd! lols...But yeah, you're right. They are designed to help a fella get the ball flying a little further. Having said that, I recorded my best drive late last year. 332mtrs from a somewhat elevated tee at sea level. That's nudging 370 yards...so not too bad for an old bloke. 

I do like the Srixons for those reasons. Plus they'll be more workable with more spin so that's a good thing. Sidebar...it always annoys me when you watch a club review on YT and they mention playability yet never actually demonstrate it. When was the last time you saw a reviewer playing fades and draws to demonstrate a club?? Yeah, me neither.

Back to the program. I should add to the story and say that I did get fitted for a set of Fourteen irons and while they were very nice, they almost felt too soft if that's even a thing. It was like you couldn't tell quite where on the clubface you struck the ball. With the 790's even though they're sort of a game improvement iron, you can tell pretty easily when you heel it etc. 

Thanks for the chat. 

Hah! Apologies, I actually meant it sincerely...hollow bodied distance irons do a great job for filling in the gaps as speed starts to decrease with father time's undefeated battle, plus P790s are dope. I'd prefer them without the speedfoam so hotmelting them didn't make a mess, but they're on the top of the pile for a reason. 

Totally agree about reviewers. Honestly a vast majority of them throw out buzzwords and talking points just because they know they should, not because it actually correlates to anything they experience or observe. Every small iron is "more workable" and every larger iron has "more forgiveness for the average player" etc etc. I stopped watching general club reviews a long time ago, they tell you very little usually. 

I've definitely felt "too soft" before but I can't say it was a bad thing, hah. Hollow irons will always have a little more harshness which does translate into feedback. 

2 hours ago, Clemson Tigers said:

Go hit them and see for yourself.  P790’s are garbage.  Always have been.  Sorry you’re offended.  

Did a UDI sleep with your girlfriend or something? They're kinda the best selling and most popular hollow body distance iron for a reason and literally kicked the door open for everyone else to follow after the release of the first generation. But fine, don't let data or facts get in the way of whatever inexplicably strong feelings you have here for a golf club, but maybe consider what's for therapy time and what's helpful to a public community. 😅

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

The answer is obvious: Neither. Go with the P770s. 

• Thanks 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches