Srixon ZX7 ii vs latest P790. What to go with?

333pg333

ZX5 is the answer. But that’s not the question you were asking.

Of the 2 clubs you mentioned, I would go with the one that has more stopping power on the green. Too much roll out is not a good thing. Guessing that would be the ZX7.

I reckon I recognise the username from the iseekgolf forum back in the day. Am I right?

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

7 minutes ago, anth said:

ZX5 is the answer. But that’s not the question you were asking.

Of the 2 clubs you mentioned, I would go with the one that has more stopping power on the green. Too much roll out is not a good thing. Guessing that would be the ZX7.

I reckon I recognise the username from the iseekgolf forum back in the day. Am I right?

Yes. Got me in one. Miss the old iSeek days. But this seems not entirely dissimilar. 

I really liked the ZX7 both this most recent test and a previous one. There does seem to be room for a combo set though. 

Interestingly the launch and descent were pretty similar with both these irons. 

My guess is that both my launch and descent angles are a smidge low. Average is around 17o launch and 44o land. But I don't really experience bad roll out / super long putts or off the greens entirely. Even so, my spin isn't really super high either. Low to mid 6000's w 7 iron.

Also, I found out that there is a TM lab here in Sydney which I might have access to. 

In which case I may try another fitting with these guys directly. 

The cost I was quoted for the most recent fitting was, well, VERY Sydney!! 

I'm guessing our US friends don't get quoted over $500 per iron! 

I'm in no super rush to get this done so I think I'll check out a few more options. 

ps...where are you based? 

• Like 1

To everyone else who has kindly contributed to my thread, thanks. As a newbie I am only allowed to make 3 posts a day. Guess it keeps out spammers to a degree. 

I do appreciate what you've said and will ruminate on it for a while longer. I've also found that I can get access to a TM lab which will have tons more shafts and possibly even be a bit cheaper than the VERY expensive quote I received with the recent fit out. Plus the golf club that I belong to has a pretty decent fitting setup so I might even give them a go. Unfortunately they only let you hit yellow range balls though. Main reason I went to this other outfit was that they allow you to hit decent balls (ProVX) out onto a range. So you get to see the flight etc. A lot of modern fitting bays are now indoors. 

Also, how do you all hit the ball during these fit outs? At this fitting last week I warmed up on the public range next to these guys. I was striping the ball as well as I can hit it and confident that this would be a good experience with them. But the short break coupled with the guy watching your every strike...and I kinda lost my swing. It's damned annoying and not the first time I've done this. I suppose when you're making swing changes the good stuff ebbs and flows and possibly fails under scrutiny. Anyone else feel the same? 

• Like 1

I’m based in Melbourne. I have dealt with some online fitters based in Sydney - Limitless Golf is very good.

$500 an iron! Seems crazy (no, they’ll never understand) 😂

If you do get a chance to try them the ZX5 will definitely give you a higher peak than the ZX7, and more forgiveness in a package that looks almost identical to the ZX7 at address

TaylorMade Qi10 10.5* 
Callaway BB Alpha 816 16*
Srixon Z H45 Hybrid 19* 
Srixon ZX Utility 23*
Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-AW

Callaway Jaws Raw Black 54 & 58
TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
Bridgestone Tour RX

10 hours ago, raw10628 said:

Lol not offended at all. Just figured with so much conviction you would have some data to support. I have hit them all and have no brand loyalty.

Data?  Poor distance control, poor spin control and just an awful feeling club.  What more could be wrong with them?  Again, absolute garbage.  

35 minutes ago, Clemson Tigers said:

Data?  Poor distance control, poor spin control and just an awful feeling club.  What more could be wrong with them?  Again, absolute garbage.  

By comparison to a Japanese forged club, well, yes. But their results aren't as bad as you paint. I've had plenty of sessions on monitors to know that they're actually pretty consistent. Sure, on course you might get the occasional hot flyer or whatever, but in general these have served me pretty well. Seems as if you have an axe to grind? 

Just now, 333pg333 said:

By comparison to a Japanese forged club, well, yes. But their results aren't as bad as you paint. I've had plenty of sessions on monitors to know that they're actually pretty consistent. Sure, on course you might get the occasional hot flyer or whatever, but in general these have served me pretty well. Seems as if you have an axe to grind? 

Lol…an axe to grind?   The original poster was comparing them to the Srixon ZX7’s, by comparison the P790’s are garbage for all of the reasons I stated.  If you are a 25 handicap chop who doesn’t know where the ball is going,  sure the P790 may be appealing.  But they are garbage by comparison.   

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Clemson Tigers said:

Lol…an axe to grind?   The original poster was comparing them to the Srixon ZX7’s, by comparison the P790’s are garbage for all of the reasons I stated.  If you are a 25 handicap chop who doesn’t know where the ball is going,  sure the P790 may be appealing.  But they are garbage by comparison.   

He is the original poster. I just went from Mizuno 921 Tours to the new P790 as a 5-6 handicap. What works for you may not work for everyone and same for me. The P790 works great for what I am wanting to do with the golf ball. I experience none of the things you mention. I am able to do everything I could with the 921s but have more forgiveness when needed. Personally, I don’t get along well with the V sole design of the Srixon irons, because, they’re also not for everyone. They’re different clubs but both have their place. I’ll stop now. Lol. Have fun out there!

• Like 1

During my fitting I tried the zx5 vs the p790 and the two were so close for me. The p790 was just marginally more forgiving in my hands so won out, but the srixons ran them close and felt nicer.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

Posted (edited)
On 3/27/2024 at 11:25 PM, Clemson Tigers said:

I'm new around here so I'll be polite. I am the OP. Yes, the original question was admittedly pretty stupid. Yet it was a genuine one based on the two options the fitter arrived at. I have no idea where you live and how 'real' your h/cap is. When travelling to various countries I have found that their h/cap system is flawed. Nevertheless, you may be a genuine scratch marker...but you really seem unreasonably upset about these 790s. However, please keep commenting. I am happy to hear any opinion. ps...I got down to a 4 h/cap with these old pieces of crap '17 790s. And that's not taking any b/s drops. Mulligans. Gimmies. Breakfast  balls. lol....Breakfast balls?? What the hell...haha. Not saying you do....but sometimes people's h/cap provenance is questionable. 

Edited by 333pg333

Can't say the P790 are trash, they have been one of the hottest selling irons over the last two years from what I have seen.  They do everything well for a single digit up to an 18 hdcp.  Still hear about the occasional flier type shot, but it's to be expected from most as we do not flush it nearly as often as a tour pro.  It's just the nature of the beast in this case. 

That said, I do not think there is a better value out there right now than the Srixon lineup.  The ZX5 easily keeps up with the P790 in terms of distance if you can deal with the slightly wider sole and worse feel on a mishit, but I am one that appreciates that sort of feedback.  A flushed shot, the ZX5 wins out here.  

My overall favorite is easily the ZX7, though.  Narrow sole width especially in the shorter irons makes them way better in firmer conditions than the ZX5 and overall feel is unmatched (yes, sorry Mizuno fans).  A solid answer here is more than likely a combos zx5/7 set.  But I don't think you'd hate the P790.  I LOVE my Srixons, but will not lie, the ease of use of the P790 constantly has me intrigued.

• Like 2

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I've ended up with a combo of ZX5/7 MKII and absolutely love them coming from a 10+ year's of Mizuno irons. The feel of the 7's is right there with the Mizuno's I played (800 Pros and 900 Forged).  I hit the newest version of the 790s and originally had a set of ZX5 MKII's. In play, the stronger lofts of the ZX5's just didn't work for me on the course. I was hitting my 4-6 iron the same distance - each seemed to fly between 190-200 yards. I moved into a combo set of ZX7's from 6-GW and then kept my ZX5 5 iron and its an absolute perfect combo. The gapping is significantly better with the combo set and I realize as a low launch, low spin player, I need to be very precise with my iron lofts under 30'.  I just don't get the launch needed to hit three clubs in that loft range. 

• Like 1

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

I am an 8 index and my 7i swing speed is around 88mph. I play the 23 p790s and do not think they are garbage. They are the best irons I’ve owned. My 7i spin is around 6300rpm and I have zero problems with stopping the ball on the green. The best thing about these irons is I am not punished too badly on toe hits. I have not hit the zx7 but I own the zx5 and the 790s are easier to hit imo. The poster saying the 790s are garbage obviously has some issues given the emotion involved on a public message board. Seek help dude. 

• Like 2

Interestingly, given many of the comments I see on this thread, I hit both of those sets during my fitting last week and the 790 (even at 2* stronger) spun more than the Zx7s for me.  The fitter, who sees 1000+ people a season, was not surprised in that outcome and said the big improvement TM made in this 790 series was the spin levels (he assumed it had something to do with the changing COGs).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bellairemi said:

Interestingly, given many of the comments I see on this thread, I hit both of those sets during my fitting last week and the 790 (even at 2* stronger) spun more than the Zx7s for me.  The fitter, who sees 1000+ people a season, was not surprised in that outcome and said the big improvement TM made in this 790 series was the spin levels (he assumed it had something to do with the changing COGs).

Did you find the p790 to be more forgiving than the ZX7s?

11 hours ago, bellairemi said:

With the right shafts these things fly high and far and stop just fine. Pro level ball strikers may not like them but they are great irons for just about everyone else. Club snobs who barely break 85 will call them garbage. 
I have the DG 105 black onyx shafts and I love them in this club. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bellairemi said:

The standard deviations on all the important categories for me (ball speed, spin, height and carry) were tighter with the 790s.

Interesting. I have played the ZX7s extensively and really enjoyed them. Am currently in 620CBs and am not playing enough to do them justice. Was looking at going back to ZX7 but honestly think I want even more forgiveness. Will likely go to Ping G series, but sounds like the p790s are worth a look. 

I’ve been playing the P790s (‘19 and now ‘21) and the Srixon Z745s (the GOATs) off and on for the last 5-6yrs. The majority of that time the last few years has been with the P790s. I play them a degree weak w/ X100s and now w/ C-taper 130x. 
Both feel great in their own way: 745s buttery and the 790s powerful. 
I have no issues holding greens with either. 
It comes down to if you want to make your life easier or harder haha. 

I saw one of my buddies get to scratch in 4 yrs playing M4irons (he’s a freak and extremely ambidextrous) and another is around a 3hc playing Stealth irons (neither visit this site so they’re not aware they’re fools for not playing a blended set of muscle backs) 

My point is, seeing them get to where they’re at playing game improvement irons made me humble myself and start playing the P790s. They’re a great looking iron — especially this newest version, which is where I disagree with your fitter: the ‘19 and ‘21 were quite similar but this latest version seems to be a step above with the latest tech they’ve done internally. 

I was looking at all the new sets of irons yesterday and the ZX7ii and the Ping Blueprint S are the best looking irons of the bunch, and the 790s look so much better than the rest of the contenders in their category (ZX5ii, i230, 245). 

• Like 2

I guess that's why beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  For me , the 245 is not only better looking than the 790, but any of the hollow body iron's.  No wrong answer though.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Mizuno Pro 245, 6-gw. MMT 85S

Ping S159 54S, & 54H, MMT 105S

Odyssey Nano 7, stroke lab

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

Very happy with my ZX5 (5&6)/ZX7 (7-PW) combo. A unique blend of forgiveness & consistency, especially with no warm up time.  

I had the privilege of being in Sydney very frequently for 12 years.  Love the people, love the courses, but, the high club prices and lack of availability always filled me with tremendous empathy for Aussie golfers.  

• Like 1
Spoiler

Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 10.5  Velocore Red 6S 45" D3

Rogue ST MAX 5W,7W Velocore  Red 7S 

Srixon MKII ZX4-4, ZX5-5&6, ZX7 7-PW

MODUS 120 S +3/4, D3-D5

SM8 Raw 52 F-12, 56 V,  & 60 V

Scotty Circle T Red Dot 350g Newport 2 (A006794), Pro V1x, Miura Alt bag: 4-PW CB57’s & K Grinds 52,56,60,64 or Fun Bag MP-33 5-PW 

If I was looking at ZX7 vs p790, seems you could try one in the middle — the p770. Still more forgiving than ZX7 but sleeker than 790. 

• Like 2

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

5 hours ago, davbrucas said:

Better looking than the Miura IC602? Nope. 

Just saw a photo of it, never in hand, but still think the Mizuno is best.  Not really thrilled the way that hosel blends into the face.  Something funky their.

Edited by dalillama47
  • Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Mizuno Pro 245, 6-gw. MMT 85S

Ping S159 54S, & 54H, MMT 105S

Odyssey Nano 7, stroke lab

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

On 4/5/2024 at 7:10 AM, SwingBlade said:

Very happy with my ZX5 (5&6)/ZX7 (7-PW) combo. A unique blend of forgiveness & consistency, especially with no warm up time.  

I had the privilege of being in Sydney very frequently for 12 years.  Love the people, love the courses, but, the high club prices and lack of availability always filled me with tremendous empathy for Aussie golfers.  

Yeah there's a definite trade off living in Oz..especially Sydney which is an expensive city to live in on a daily basis. Because we don't manufacture much of anything nowadays we get well and truly raped for product. Cars, fuel, golf clubs etc are just so expensive. But on the flip side we seldom get shot at which is always nice. The weather is usually pretty good. Enough golf courses for the population (although the Govt is looking at cutting some in half to provide picnic spaces for local families..but that's another story) even though joining fees to some of the premium courses are well over $30k which is non tradeable or refundable should you wish to get out. Yearly fees can be easily over $5k too. Having travelled moderately, I still love coming home and think it's the best place to live overall. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2024 at 12:25 AM, dmeeksDC said:

If I was looking at ZX7 vs p790, seems you could try one in the middle — the p770. Still more forgiving than ZX7 but sleeker than 790. 

I did try the P770 but it seemed to spin up a bit too much. Having said that, I think I've made a decent swing breakthrough and I've just found out that there is a TM lab nearby. So I might go and check them out again.