Has anyone regretted buying the new P790s

edwelly

Hello all. I have been playing golf for ~20 years. I have been fortunate to have shot in the upper 70s a few times. My current handicap is a 10.3. However, I am 50 now. The body does not move like it used to, nor do I have the time or desire to practice like I once did. Last in 2022, I traded my J40s for set of ZX5/ZX7s and I started off well with those. But in the middle of the year, it started going downhill for me. My scrambling was the only thing that kept my scores descent. I do not like the look of the ZX4/ZX4 MKII, so I am considering trading in for the new P790s. I want something that is just easier to play with. I really don't care about my handicap any longer - the desire to be a single-digit capper has passed. I just want to enjoy playing again. 

I really like the way they look. They do not look huge to my eye. And they are supposed to be easier to hit. They are not super strong lofted. They check a lot of boxes for me. 

So has anyone bought the new P790s and hated them? Any recommendation on shafts? I have played Project X for a long time and my current shaft is the Modus3 120S and I like it. 

TIA

-Erik

Taylormade Stealth 2 Driver
Taylormade SIM2 3HL
Taylormade Dual Rescue TP 4H
Mizuno JPX923 HMP 5i - GW
Mizuno T24 52* & 56*
Cleveland H.B. Soft Premier 11S 

@jeffrey r - I just read the thread and you are right, that guy hates the P790s. I am going to try them on in a couple of days and see. I just want to enjoy golf again. 

-Erik

Taylormade SIM2 3HL
Mizuno T24 52* & 56*

23 minutes ago, edwelly said:

@jeffrey r - I just read the thread and you are right, that guy hates the P790s. I am going to try them on in a couple of days and see. I just want to enjoy golf again. 

-Erik

P790s should definitely get you there. They are just fun to take out for a round, and they do perform. I've played plenty of Ping G series irons, and the P790s really don't give up a ton to those in the forgiveness department. And they are sleek, without looking too intimidating.

In the end, TM has the P770's for someone looking for more of a players iron. Those are there if you want them. But for the best balance to just go out and have fun, can't do much better than the P790's. I would also endorse the Callaway Apex DCB irons, which are my 1-B set to the 1-A P790's (and that could flip). Another great 'tweener iron set that flies under the radar. YMMV.

• Like 2

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

1 hour ago, edwelly said:

Hello all. I have been playing golf for ~20 years. I have been fortunate to have shot in the upper 70s a few times. My current handicap is a 10.3. However, I am 50 now. The body does not move like it used to, nor do I have the time or desire to practice like I once did. Last in 2022, I traded my J40s for set of ZX5/ZX7s and I started off well with those. But in the middle of the year, it started going downhill for me. My scrambling was the only thing that kept my scores descent. I do not like the look of the ZX4/ZX4 MKII, so I am considering trading in for the new P790s. I want something that is just easier to play with. I really don't care about my handicap any longer - the desire to be a single-digit capper has passed. I just want to enjoy playing again. 

I really like the way they look. They do not look huge to my eye. And they are supposed to be easier to hit. They are not super strong lofted. They check a lot of boxes for me. 

So has anyone bought the new P790s and hated them? Any recommendation on shafts? I have played Project X for a long time and my current shaft is the Modus3 120S and I like it. 

TIA

-Erik

Nothing wrong with them: my buddy has a set and I've hit them. They work as advertised. 

I'd probably look at the 245 from Mizuno and 150 from Titleist as well, just because I've had good success with those brands. Maybe one suits your eye or has the feel you're looking for. It's a decent investment so I'd demo 3 options before committing. Or just buy used here and flip them if they don't work. 

• Like 1

Im a long time P790 user.  Started with the 2017 p790, and have upgraded to the 2021 p790 and also the 2023 P790.  I get much more consistent performance from the newer set vs the 2017, it may just come down to better manufacturing tolerances from TM. 

It is an all timer iron set.  I have no regrets or desire to switch to a different iron set.  It has been in my bag although in different iterations for the last 7 years!

• Like 2

I don't regret buying my 2021 p790s but I did replace them within a year. I was struggling with the odd flier even out of the fairways and getting an extra 10-15yrds every once and a while. I had them with KBS tour lites to help with launch and to increase some spin I was missing and enjoyed that combo. I wasn't looking to replace them but couldn't stop form the $35 PXG fitting (Canada) and heros discount and ended up with 0317cb irons as they were very consistent for me.

They're a good iron, could still be using them but I just found something that works a bit better for me. Funny enough, thin strikes (my miss) sucked really bad with the p790s i found and they stung my hands, I don't find the thins hurt near as bad with the 0317s with the same setup. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, RoyalMustang said:

Nothing wrong with them: my buddy has a set and I've hit them. They work as advertised. 

I'd probably look at the 245 from Mizuno and 150 from Titleist as well, just because I've had good success with those brands. Maybe one suits your eye or has the feel you're looking for. It's a decent investment so I'd demo 3 options before committing. Or just buy used here and flip them if they don't work. 

I did some looking at the M 245s, but those looked like they had really strong lofts on them. That kinda worries me some. 

-Erik

Taylormade SIM2 3HL
Mizuno T24 52* & 56*

I just switched to the new p790s and love them. Best irons I’ve ever had, very forgiving and I can shape them both ways. Not seen any jumpers either with them, very consistent for distance. Highly recommend them.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

I’ve moved on from the most recent 790s.  I found them lower launching and lower spinning than previous versions which made them borderline unplayable during the summer months when the local greens dry out.  If you launch the ball high or are a high spin player then they will most likely work just fine.  If you do not launch them or spin them enough then holding greens will be a challenge.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GHIN n Juice said:

I’ve moved on from the most recent 790s.  I found them lower launching and lower spinning than previous versions which made them borderline unplayable during the summer months when the local greens dry out.  If you launch the ball high or are a high spin player then they will most likely work just fine.  If you do not launch them or spin them enough then holding greens will be a challenge.

My ball flight is not low, nor do I have trouble holding the green now. However, I am also not spinning the ball off the greens either. 

-E

Taylormade SIM2 3HL
Mizuno T24 52* & 56*

I have used the 2021 P790s for the last almost 2 years and they are great irons, VERY forgiving (almost GI forgiving tbh). I would say feel on these clubs is pretty meh, if you miss it out of the toe or the heel you will get some feedback but not much, and the results of your shot will still probably be pretty good. If you don't care about that and just want better results swing flaws be damned then they are awesome for that. The do feel really strong when you get them out of the middle, and they get up in the air and spin pretty well for this type of iron. I recently switch to a Mizuno pro 243 just cause i want to improve and i want more feedback on my miss hits. Also as others have said when I would miss with the P790s and it would go long...it went VERY long...243s miss is much less punishing front to back miss wise. I think given your original post, these help a ton if you are slowing down SS wise, and you just want good results on misses across the face....they are pretty hard to beat for that. 

• Like 1

What's in my Ping Pioneer cart bag:

Driver: Ping G430 Max 10k 9* Fujikura Speeder NX 50s

3 Wood: Ping G430 Max Fujikura Speeder NX 60s 

7 Wood: Ping G430 Max Fujikura Speeder NX 70s 

3 & 4 Hybrid: Ping G430 KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 75r

Irons: 5 - PW Mizuno Pro 243 KBS $ Taper 120 shafts

Wedges: Mizuno S23 50 S Grind 54 D grind // Cleveland RTX full-face 2 58*

Putter: LAB DF 2.1 TPT shaft

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

ARCCOS 

I would say look at the 770 and 790 to see what you like, and adjust lofts to dial in flight. You’re not stuck with the stock lofts. Flight and spin are two things you can dial in. 

I still like pure forged irons quite a lot and I don’t care about mixing brands so am currently piecing together a combo set of more forgiving long irons to go with my New Level 480TCs that I have in 7-P. The 480s sort of look similar to some older TM heads and I think size-wise they will blend well, so I am considering the 770 or 790 in 4-6. 

I hit both and really noticed no forgiveness difference between the two, though the 790 goes longer due to stronger lofts. At the same loft I would bet they are very similar. I’m leaning toward 770 due to liking the spin numbers and also better loft flow with the 480TC, but have not decided yet. They’re both solid choices, depends on the best fit for you. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I have both the gen3 P790’s and original ZX5’s. The P790’s are not significantly “more forgiving” than the ZX5’s. The main difference is the manner that they respond to non-optimal contact. 

P790’s are perhaps the most well-engineered and mature iron set on the planet at this point. While some people may not have had optimal matching with them, that is true of every club.

• Like 1

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

All current top manufacturers are making very good "player's distance" models - they all had to follow Taylormade's lead when the 790's first came out.  So now it comes down to what suits your eye and your budget.  I've been in 790's since the original release and have always liked them.  But I agree with others in this thread that current Mizuno and Srixon offerings look amazing, and Titleist, Ping and Callaway all have their own models that are equally awesome.

If you have the luxury of attending demo days or doing a fitting session at GG, PGASS or Club Champion where you can try lots of different models for that route.  But if you know already that the P790's suit your eye, it'll be a minority of people who say they are not good/great irons.

• Like 4

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade BRNR Mini, 11.5*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi 4i, Dart 90 S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Taylormade MyTP Juno Long Neck, 35"