Grip pressure vs swing speed?

9 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Again, and for the final time: you're stating opinions; they’re stating the results of measured data. You just sound like a bit of a banana, dude. 

6 hours ago, Nels55 said:

I believe that there is another class who simply post stupid things to get a reaction.  DFTT!

From a high level though it’s pretty funny, because the trajectory of cav’s responses when challenged to prove his “I hit 120y wedges fat on purpose” claim have spiraled down into “no one can know or teach anything about the golf swing” which is hilarious. Why bother engaging in any kind of academic good faith when you just make up the rules as you go?

excited genius GIF

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

On 6/27/2024 at 12:10 PM, BombinJim said:

You have to be an absolute animal to close the #3 gripper.

If you look up videos of people closing the #3 gripper on Youtube that are "certified" by the company that makes the grippers, their forearms are pretty jacked and Berkshire has some pretty beefy forearms that look similar to those people so it's not a stretch to say he could possibly close it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, golferdude54 said:

If you look up videos of people closing the #3 gripper on Youtube that are "certified" by the company that makes the grippers, their forearms are pretty jacked and Berkshire has some pretty beefy forearms that look similar to those people so it's not a stretch to say he could possibly close it.

I looked it up and found an interesting Wikipedia page.  I wish I would have known these things and certifications existed.

• Like 2

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

7 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

So if you don't know literally EVERYTHING, there's no point in saying ANYTHING?

That's not how the world works. You can break things down into various components and study them individually. Sometimes (as in the case of a golf instructor) if you're good at it you can assemble it into a whole and help people at golf. Sometimes (as in the case of a biomechanics researcher studying golf) perhaps you limit yourself to those components under study and you never attempt to instruct students on getting better. 

Both groups can be considered "experts" or "authorities" if you recognize the scope and limits of their expertise. In NEITHER case is either required to know every single thing about every muscle, joint, etc in the human body. 

I'll give you an example. I work for a large multinational tech company, which builds products based on bleeding-edge technological development. We employ hundreds of PhDs at our company. Each of them is necessary because to live at the bleeding edge, you have to have people whose expertise is SO specialized that they can advance the science in their own tiny little technical area. But you know what? Not a single one of them understands ALL of the tech necessary to build a single one of our products. They can't possibly do so. The aggregate of necessary knowledge is so vast that it is beyond the scope of a single human being. 

By saying that in order to talk about anything, you must understand EVERYTHING, down to the individual joint and muscle (and beyond), is creating an impossible bar to clear. Which, quite frankly, I think was your intent. 

How can you expel facts if you don’t know everything then? They’re guesses. So you’re saying the authority here can’t possible know? Okay I agree lol. I’m not saying i do but I never say they’re facts like a pompus you kno what. I’m just saying you guys blanket accept these people. Doesn’t matter much to me except there are ppl who like my posts that don’t post because of the authority here. Played today. Made 11 birdies couple doubles and shot 65. 5 years ago couldn’t break par. I have zero valuable information to offer tho. 

Qi10 9 Ventus Blk 6x

Qi10 5w Ventus Blk 8x

TM P-DHY 3i Ventus Black 10tx

P730 4-9 PX7.0

MG4 46 50 54 59

Oworks 7s - TP5x

6 hours ago, Valtiel said:

Both groups will ALWAYS end up wrong about something at some point, the former group stands an infinitely better chance at coming out better equipped and smarter for it than the latter.  

They're also the ones more willing and ready to change their point of view when presented with facts, even if the facts don't support what feels right or what they want to be true.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, golferdude54 said:

Someone having beefy looking forearms is no indication that they can close a #3 CoC gripper. It is massively dependent on specific training, so skill essentially, and genetics.

I've got just as beefy forearms as Berkshire and I can only barely close the #2. Big stretch to say he can close a #3 without training it for months. He's not even that strong in general in terms of lifting weights.

He's fast because of technique, direct speed training, and genetics. Static strength wise he's not far above any healthy young man his size.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, cav5 said:

Made 11 birdies couple doubles and shot 65. 5 years ago couldn’t break par. I have zero valuable information to offer tho. 

Being able to play well doesn’t mean one has understanding of the golf swing.

Bradley Hughes talks about this in regards to his journey to becoming an instructor. He took time to study the swing because all he knew what he did, he was a touring pro with wins on several tours. There are lots of athletes in all sports that can’t explain/teah what to do yet at some of the best at what they do

• Like 2

nfl kicking coach and hall of fame nominee.

never kicked a ball in his life.

image.png.ba4836aae0a720b0b9abdae5c3ef0eaa.png 

many people, including some instructors, only relate to their own swing dna. that's a limited repertoire of knowledge to draw upon when people have so many builds, strengths, weaknesses, ranges of motion, rhythm, etc.

• Like 4

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

11 hours ago, golferdude54 said:

Yeah absolutely have seen the videos

8 minutes ago, Trippels said:

Someone having beefy looking forearms is no indication that they can close a #3 CoC gripper. It is massively dependent on specific training, so skill essentially, and genetics.

I've got just as beefy forearms as Berkshire and I can only barely close the #2. Big stretch to say he can close a #3 without training it for months. He's not even that strong in general in terms of lifting weights.

He's fast because of technique, direct speed training, and genetics. Static strength wise he's not far above any healthy young man his size.

100% agree with this. I have the #2, #2.5, #3, and #3.5 and can only close and hold the #2. And I have deadlifted 200lbs+ more than Kyle.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

1 hour ago, BombinJim said:

Yeah absolutely have seen the videos

100% agree with this. I have the #2, #2.5, #3, and #3.5 and can only close and hold the #2. And I have deadlifted 200lbs+ more than Kyle.

Just for fun: Here's Ronnie Coleman failing the #3; At a time when he had more beef in his forearms than the Argentininan cattle ranchers produce in a year.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Trippels said:

Just for fun: Here's Ronnie Coleman failing the #3; At a time when he had more beef in his forearms than the Argentininan cattle ranchers produce in a year.

Haha yeah that dude could have ripped someone in half back in his day. #3 is truly outrageous.

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

1 hour ago, johnrobison said:

They're also the ones more willing and ready to change their point of view when presented with facts, even if the facts don't support what feels right or what they want to be true.

I really don't get much out of people saying "yeah, I think you're right, I agree." I wouldn't say something I didn't think was right.

What's exciting to me with a scientific background is "you're wrong, here's why" followed up by a reasonable (logical, or mathematical, or something other than feels or something) explanation.

Boom. Instant opportunity to upgrade my knowledge, to learn, to teach better by better understanding what's actually happening, etc.

1 hour ago, GoGoErky said:

Being able to play well doesn’t mean one has understanding of the golf swing.

Nope.

1 hour ago, GoGoErky said:

Bradley Hughes talks about this in regards to his journey to becoming an instructor. He took time to study the swing because all he knew what he did, he was a touring pro with wins on several tours. There are lots of athletes in all sports that can’t explain/teah what to do yet at some of the best at what they do

Common line when you ask a Tour player how they hit a draw: "I don't know, I just see a draw and the ball draws." Which is often good for them: IMO as a Tour player, you either want to know a little and just "do," or you want to know a good bit about what you do. Sometimes players struggle in trying to cross the gap. Some never make it to the other side, some are best not even trying to.

• Like 3

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

7 hours ago, iacas said:

Sometimes players struggle in trying to cross the gap. Some never make it to the other side, some are best not even trying to.

The "Bryson/DJ continuum" if you will. 😅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

16 hours ago, iacas said:

What's exciting to me with a scientific background is "you're wrong, here's why" followed up by a reasonable (logical, or mathematical, or something other than feels or something) explanation.

Yep. Having been wrong isn't threatening to me at all and I enjoy being presented with facts that lead me to a better conclusion.

• Like 2