2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Titleist AP2

G.Review

so how does the 5 iron distance compare to the 6i distance since you bent the 6i?

I thought about that as well but wanted a consistent and gap/distance between all the clubs. I dont want my 5iron to go 180-185 and my 6 iron to go 175-180

Mate, my dist is almost the same as urs. I have no issues with the distance gap between the 5 and the 6. In fact, I did the same with my J33 combos 2 sets ago.

If you want uniformity. do the whole set.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just put a set of these in my bag all off the rack standard except for the grips which were changed to Golf Pride DD2 Midsize. This set replaces a set of 690.CB (also standard loft lie and angle and DG S300 and Midsize DD2). The two sets are similar enough.

When I first picked these clubs up I immediately noticed a significant weight difference between these and my 690. I'll admit that looking at pictures of these clubs I didn't like them, but actually seeing them changed my mind a bit. When I had them on the range the first time I was impressed with how soft and smooth a well struck shot felt and how well the vibrations are dampened on a mishit. There is still some feel there, but if you're not a better player that knows what to look for in shot feedback you could easily miss it. That said, I don't think that these clubs dampen vibrations as well as say a Ping rapture or some of the other game improvement clubs out there, but these aren't exactly game improvement irons.

Shaping shots left to right and right to left is easily accomplished, however, these don't allow for the ball to be kept quite as low as the 690 when a low shot is desired. That is not to say, however, that a low shot can not be executed with these. I am able to spin the ball just as easily with the APs as I am with the 690. I also find that the AP2s are more forgiving of mis hit shots than are the 690s. They stay on line better and don't lose quite as much distance as the 690s.

As far as distance goes, I'm about a club stronger with these than with my 690, That is likely due to the AP2 lofts being 1 degree stronger than the 690 lofts and the clubs being lighter allowing for a bit mor club head velocity to be generated.

In the looks department I have gotten used to them pretty well, but I do prefer the less busy appearance of the 690. The AP2s are ever so slightly larger than the 690s all around, but it is easy to get used to. When the club is behind the ball, it still very much retains the appearance of a player's iron. I was a bit worried about the wider sole on the AP2 being a problem, but it gets throuh the turf just as well as my 690s in that the trailing edge of the sole is relieved nicely.

All in all these are a decent looking, very playable set of irons that allow shots to be easily shaped, but offer a better degree of forgiveness than do traditional forged player's cavity back irons. If you can get past the aesthetics (really not that different from the likes of Taylor Made, Callaway, Ping and others), I think you'll find that this is a great set of clubs. The only thing that I'm a bit disappointed about is the lack of a 2 iron to go along with this line of clubs.

Titleist TS4 8.5* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X
Titleist 917F2 18* (turned down to 17.25*) Diamana S+ 80X
4 - 718 Titleist AP3 Project X 6.0
4-P 718 Titleist AP2 Project X 6.0
White Satin Mizuno MP T7 51-08 Modus 3 105X
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 55-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Blue Ion Mizuno MP T7 59-09 Modus 3 105X Soft Stepped
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Fastback 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I sold them a while back and want to kick myself in the Arse. These are great irons and quit possibly my Favorite iron of all time. Much better than any Mizzy I have ever hit. Right now Im hitting the Rac forged TP's(my second Favorite irons of all time) till I can get my AP2's. I guess I will call the titleist rep and get another set ordered. This will be my 3rd set since they came out. The reason I have had so many sets is because I was in need of $$$ and someone offered me more than i had in them both times so money talks. but not this time, When I get this set im going to be the first and last owner of these. IMO these are the best irons on the market right now, and as i have said before my all time favorite iron.

Happy golfing

[center][color=#00ff00][b]~ Bomb Tech Grenade 9* Matrix Radix S7~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#00ff00][b]~ Bomb Tech Grenade 3 wood 15* ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Mizuno Mx-300 5-GW ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Bomb Tech Grenade 56* Black Oxide ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Ping Craz-E Center shafted ~[/b][/color][/center]
[center][color=#0000ff][b]~ Penta ~[/b][/color][/center]

• 3 months later...

I have had the AP2's for 2 weeks, and find them really good clubs.

Unfortunately we are having really warm weather here, 34C and very humid, so makes playing golf hard work.

What I have found so far is this;

Purchased them from a local Titleist dealer

Had them made 1/4 inch longer, and 1 deg upright, with 2 wraps.

Appearance;

Different, but at address that does not matter.

Average size sole, and topline.

Feel;

Smooth as, even off centre hits don't feel that bad.

Not the same as Mizuno 32 or 33, but very smooth.

Swingweight feels about D2,suits me.

Flight;

With the Project X shaft, they fly somewhat high, but not too much, and they stop the ball really well. Even on our 328 greens!.

Don't seem to be affected by wind anymore than other makes.

Length;

Really good, especially with the 9 and PW. Not that it matters with the short irons, but it gives you the feeling that you can hit the others a good distance.

Fade or Draw;

I am generally a straight ball hitter, but can hit these either way if needed.

Overall;

A very good set of irons, in fact as good as any I have played taking all factors into consideration.

Not the feel you get off the Mizzies when hit perfectly, but close.

Not the length of some Callaway's, but that could be loft?.

I would recommend these to anyone that can handle and wants forged clubs. :clapping:

• 3 weeks later...

These fly right, trajectory control is mint

"roll off" is pin point every time

replaced my cally x protos with them.

looks are really neat having a thicker toplines adds confdence

-nothing like being confident with a 4 iron out of the rough, these looks give you that, these are tough looking heads"

love them around the greens too, get that nice click to the chips

-nothing like being confident with a 4 iron out of the rough, these looks give you that, these are tough looking heads"

Are you selling your protos RUSTY??

I've been trying everything lately. AP2 really was inconsistent to me. Much like my old X-tour on distance.

It has something to do with ball flight. I had to try to hit it low..... I like it other way around.

Muteness on the feel too.

They did bust thru the rough tho. Something my X-Forged have trouble..

Almost all set for 2021

I was wondering what is the handicap range for the Ap2's? I see that professionals are using these clubs and that makes me nervous as a 6 handicapper. I have used callaway xtours and mizuno mx-25's. are they forgiving and are they a set between a game improvement and a players iron?

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Not knowing your game I can tell you are frustrated with deciding what irons to buy. Having hit the AP2's I can say that they are a forgiving club that give you confidence at address. Topline is not too thick. I would say looking at your handicap (6?) that these irons would do you fine. 0-10 handicaps can handle these well. Unlike the titleist Z forged iron that plays more for a scratch golfer to 5 handicap. The AP1's are more geared for a golfer over a double digit handicap that need offset and more forgivienss than anything. The best thing to do is to get fitted, try out on a course and see what you want out of your irons--forgiveness, workability, feedback, consistency and/or playablity. God knows you need all for your game!

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

I go thru a lot of iron sets ,maybe 20 at least in last 15 years. the 20 years before that I was normal with a few sets. Anyway I gave glowing reviews to G10s last year and swore I would keep them at least two years, I lied. Bought a set of Mac Pro-Cs 3-pw last month because I had to for a few reasons. But I traded a substantial amount for some nice used AP2s 3-gw with PX 5.5. I had to go back to the profile I basically played for 35 years. Anyway on your forgiveness question I can,t play yet but have hit a large bucket with the AP2s two weeks ago and I was hooked. Been playing long enough and hit enough sticks to have a decent idea how the sticks will play on course. Traded for the AP2s and hit another large bucket with 3,5,9 iron yesterday. Now they don,t have the super sweet quality forged feel of the Pro-Cs but it ain,t bad. After that I thought I was on auto pilot because both buckets I hit on separate occassions I couldn,t hit better including the 3 iron. Anyway I play basically at 10-12 but may try to take it a little more serious and probably be back to 8. You should at least give the AP2s a decent demo.

I have had these AP2s w/PX5.5s for 6 months (4-P) here in Florida. I had X-18s w/PX6.5s that wouldn't do anything but hit it straight for me. I love the ability of these to work them, they're longer and the feel is of course better. I've heard a lot of others have put DGS300 or DGX100 in theirs instead of the PX. How do they compare? Do you get better feel or a better flight? How do they stack up in wind? We get coastal winds that require the odd low punch. I know this is supposed to be a review but I'd like club specific feedback on these irons.

UPDATED: Completely amazing irons with DGX100s. Even better flight, little longer with more feel/control. I was hittting greens easily before, now I'm hitting inside 10'!!! For all those who don't like these, get the right shaft and/or fix your swing. These can't be faulted!!!

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Diamana PD 60TX (D3) 8GF, 18GB 44.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

MG3 50*, Modus 125 Wedge

T24 54.08D, T24 60.12V, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34" Stability Tour, Chrome Tour X

• 4 weeks later...

Previous Irons: 690.mb

I have played these irons since last summer here are some things Ive noticed.

- Longer irons(3,4,5,6) seem more consistent than the shorter irons.

- Shorter irons seem much too light.

- Struggle taking yardage off, and spin off.

I am a Division I player and don't like to change equipment often, especially irons. However i am thinking about moving to the zb forged 6 - PW with the same px shafts. Only thing that holds me back in how easy these clubs are to hit the center of the face on full shots. Any suggestions or anyone else experienced similarities?

• 2 weeks later...

I changed my swingweights to D3.5 from the standard D2 makes them feel more present in the swing. I haven't experienced any difficulties in controlling flight, spin or distance with these. I do like the 7-PW ZMs better for bump and runs, but not many courses I play are links set ups. I do switch out the PW to a 46* Cleveland once in a while to see if I'd have more versatility and accuracy as some of the tour guys have.

MG3 50*, Modus 125 Wedge

I have had the AP2 three times over the last year and do love the feel but they just fly too high for my liking. I think the PX 5.5 shaft I has a lot to do with that as others have mentioned. I think I'm going to give them one more try with DG X100 shafts in them and see if that helps get the ball down. Of course it is the shaft and not me, LOL.

Callaway AI Smoke TD Max 9* Ventus Velocore + Blue 6R

Callaway AI Smoke Max 15* Hazardous Gen 4 5.5

Callaway AI Smoke Max Heavenwood Ventus 6S

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid 21* 4H Steelfiber F3

PXG 0311P Gen5 4-GW SteelFiber Private Reserve I95 Reg

Takomo 56 & 60 KBS

Taylor Made Chalk Spider

I have had the AP2 three times over the last year and do love the feel but they just fly too high for my liking. I think the PX 5.5 shaft I has a lot to do with that as others have mentioned. I think I'm going to give them one more try with DG X100 shafts in them and see if that helps get the ball down. Of course it is the shaft and not me, LOL.

Make sure you get the right DG for your swing speed and feel preference. I tried everything from R300 to X300 to find the right combo of feel and flex. I used a Trackman to record the flight and standard LM data. I also used the 5.5 PX (6.0F)to see if a softer flex would smooth my tempo out compared to the 6.5 (7.0F). The X100 are 6.8 frequency (F) so you better have a stout swing. The right shaft makes all the difference in having fun or not.

Good Luck!

MG3 50*, Modus 125 Wedge

Absolutely the easiest "players irons" [their words, not mine] to hit of anything currently on the market. The price tag is a bit steep and the feel a bit muted, but they will let you know where on the face you hit it and are remarkably well behaved, when it comes to shaping you shot.

Can't say I care too much for the "badging" in the cavity....... it's a little busy......, but thankfully you don't have to look at it from address. A "must try" for elder statesmen looking for a solid player's cavity back....... these sticks are very easy on the body, if not the wallet.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Everything I hoped for and more.

I had hit this at a Golfsmith a couple of months ago and fell in love. Had them custom fitted for my specs and they finally arrived on Monday.

After a few rounds I am still in awe. These sticks are more forgiving than I thought they'd be, and the feel is amazing. These are definitely longer than my previous irons, the 755's. And more forgiving. And better looking. And just an all-around better club. If you can afford these clubs, I highly recommend you try them out.

These irons might just cure the ho in me.

• 2 weeks later...

Have been a Titleist fan for a long time - everything in the bag is Titleist.

Previously had 690CB's DGS300. Bought AP2's 8 months back and have tried and tried to like them but just kept blowing out my handicap. They feel soft off the face but the dispersion and consistency of flight and distance has been extraordinary.

Have put the 690's back in the bag and am back scoring where I was before the AP2's went in. Am debating whether to pull the PX5.5 shafts in the AP2's and put DGS300 in - have tried them at the range and felt good with them. Otherwise there's no future for them in my bag.

• 5 weeks later...

Just bought a 2nd hand set as I do not get out enough to get the best out of my ZM's.

They are 1/2" longer than std with PX 6.0.

These are quite a shock and not what I was expecting from a Titleist club.

They are really really easy to hit. Even mishits go full distance and straight.

Feel is very soft and muted, but feedback is non-existant (relative to ZM's or any forged blade/muscleback).

It is not as easy to work the ball, but it can be done with a little practice.

For me the worst thing is the ball flight, it is way too high. I have always played DG shaft and the PX takes some getting used to. My driver SS is 110-115 consistiently and I am 6' 1", 250lb, so the PX6.0 may be a little soft for me.

I am uncertain where these are going to take me. While the combination of ZM's with DG may be too much without serious practice time the combination of a forgiving cavity with high flying PX shafts may be too much of a step backwards - my scores have not improved...

These are a very good quality club and a bold, fresh offering from Titlesit. I do not not know what the true definition of "a player" is and I am not going to pretent I am one, but these are not "players" clubs, and the number of Titlesit Tour staff playing these baffles me.

Before I purchased the ZM's I was going to plump for Mizzy MP62's, looks like that may still have been the right call (thought the ZM's are super clubs, but they need serious time and practice). Always believe in your gut feeling......it is usually right first time.

Sorry, the AP2's are not for me.

WITB

909 D3, 9.5 deg Fujikura 7Z08 stiff

906 F4 13.5 deg UST V2 85g stiff

ZM 3-pw, s-300

52, 56, 60 deg raw, spin milled

ProV1x

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to wait to post a review of my AP2's so that I didn't post something during my honeymoon phase that I might regret.

The biggest compliment I can give this particular set of irons is that they lived up to even the highest expectations I had for them. After one session at my local Golfsmith, I was addicted. The feeling I got when I hit these irons was like nothing I had ever felt in an iron. When I finally had the chance to purchase them after a nice tax refund, I had to do it.

And I haven't looked back. These things are the real deal. Forgiving, smooth, workbale, beautiful....I can go on and on. There are no negatives from my end. The distances are good - just like my MP-32's.

Bottom line - if you are good enough and have the $$$, you owe it to yourself to try these bad boys out.

• 1 month later...